X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Spring 2017] Tsuki ga Kirei Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    月がきれい

A high school romantic story where two lovers find out just how tough it is to fall in love.

Airs: Thursday, April 6

Studio: Feel

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

Kotarou Azumi and Akane Mizuno became third year students at junior high school and are classmates for the first time. These two, along with fellow classmates, Chinatsu Nishio and Takumi Hira, relate to their peers through mutual understandings and feelings. As their final year at junior high school progresses, the group overcome their challenges to mature and become aware of changes in themselves.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Lecia Ivyred, The Rising of the Shield Hero
    Watching: Kyo Kara Maoh, Pokemon Sun and Moon, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, DRO, CQK, RSH, AOT, BSD, FRB, OPM, KYB, FGN, SKS, MLA, SMT, HBS, KOT, MIX, WNL, KMA, FIL, IDM, ISQ, SRG, STW
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Boy meets girl, bookworm meets jock.

Pretty interesting start here as Kotarou and Akane waste no time getting to know each other. It all starts out with the two being in the same class, and then they have a chance encounter in the restaurant, and then they are in charge of equipment for the sports festival leading them to becoming really close friends right off the bat. This is mostly setup here as they only just met. The animation style certainly is reminiscent of Wandering Son and for the most part, it feels just like that show, but with a much simpler theme of being a straight-up romantic drama.

Anyway, I like what I see so far, but again the coming episodes will determine if I go forward or not with this show to the end.
    Simulcasts: FTL, DRO, CQK, RSH, AOT, BSD, FRB, OPM, KYB, FGN, SKS, MLA, SMT, HBS, KOT, MIX, WNL, KMA, FIL, IDM, ISQ, SRG, STW
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

This feels like a very iyashikei-flavored romance so far, something very much in my tastes and could be quite promisingly sweet. I like the simple awkwardness of the restaurant encounter. Akane has such a troll of a sister. Liked the cute moment at the end where she was finding a way to troll her back.

Comment

Very pleasant and sweet, but a little too lacking in anything going on for my liking. Very soft art style, but a bit too much of the white shine around everyone as well.
        My Top Anime | Manga
        My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
        My FP Reviews | Twitter
        FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Originally posted by EmperorBrandon View Post
          This feels like a very iyashikei-flavored romance so far, something very much in my tastes and could be quite promisingly sweet. I like the simple awkwardness of the restaurant encounter. Akane has such a troll of a sister. Liked the cute moment at the end where she was finding a way to troll her back.
          Does seem like a more relaxing-paced SOL series. And yeah, those kinds of awkward encounters are all too relatable. Loved Akane's screencapping prank...and amusingly, yet another series detailing more of the real world applications/use of smartphones. At least they aren't flip-phones. But man...kids these days. How the days of lugging around pagers and loose change flew by...

Comment

Episode 2

Be laughed at, and get stronger.

It's the sports festival, and while Akane is performing as expected from somebody on the track team, Kotarou doesn't have an ounce of athleticism in him seeing that he's spending his time writing his novel, and it shows when he stumbled in the sprint. But then things take a turn for the worse for Akane after losing her doll, and seeing that her nervousness shot up exponentially that she was due to choke, and that's exactly what happened when she fumbled the baton in the relay and lose the festival for her team. But in the end, their relationship only gets stronger. Pretty solid development there, and I was especially amused by the student loving the teacher and showing it with that item he got in the scavenger hunt.

So I'll give it another episode before deciding this show's prospects and its prospects are favorable at this point, but again I need to evaluate everything before saying for sure where it stands.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

When I saw Akane put her nerve-relaxing charm in her pocket, I was wondering how that thing wasn't going to fall out while she runs. It does end up falling out, but of course in a place where it's much harder to spot. Ah, and apparently it's a "potato". I never would have guessed.

Those girls are all about appearances. They look like they're defending Akane when their boyfriends are teasing, but I think that was the same girls we overheard making fun of it in the bathroom. It kind of seemed like they weren't being totally sincere in the first place. But I like how the apparent popular girls aren't one-dimensional and get their own stories in short segments at the end. Akane's friends on track, though, seem rather sweet and fun. Like what Curly got of running into Chinatsu and her sloppy job at fixing him up.

I figured Curly was going to have found that "potato". Makes for a really heartwarming scene, particularly how Akane talking about how she gets past her embarrassment to do what she likes, which really inspires Curly rather positively. I like how hits the plug to his ceiling light in expressing how happy he is over getting to know Akane a little better. Cute phone messages, too. Definitely curious where we are going next with these two.

Comment

Prediction time! I'm guessing Akane will give up her security potato as she continues to grow the relationship with Curly, 'nyuk, 'nyuk, 'nyuk.

Cute episode nonetheless; but I found it weird how the girls badmouth Akane in the bathroom, but then in the short segments, they're all chummy, with Akane tending to her hair and unfazed with what happened earlier (unless she's keeping it to herself).

Definitely like these shorts though; gives a little more depth to the side characters.

Comment

Originally posted by Sensuifu View Post
                  Cute episode nonetheless; but I found it weird how the girls badmouth Akane in the bathroom, but then in the short segments, they're all chummy, with Akane tending to her hair and unfazed with what happened earlier (unless she's keeping it to herself).
                  I didn't even really notice that was Akane there. Still, even looking at that, Akane seems a little more distant than the other three are with each other. I'm not sure the short segments are all meant to be contiguous chronologically with events of the episode, though. Ryouko-sensei's are connected, but the others may not be.

Comment

Episode 3

Meeting under the moon.

Kotarou and Akane sure are getting closer. So they take exams, and then Akane practices hard for her track meet where she sets a personal best, all while Kotarou is practicing for the Kawagoe Festival. As much as Akane was anxious to deliver the news, her phone ran out of juice and needed to be recharged. But all is well in the end, especially with those two gazing at the moon as that was quite a beautiful scene. Next time, it's off to Kyoto for their school trip.

So with that, I'll go ahead and say that this show will be a keeper as things are clicking here and I like the direction this show is going.

Comment

Re: Episode 3

Akane's "friends" don't seem too happy about how she doesn't get to go out shopping with them due to club activities. So that's probably a little bit behind the distance we've seen in the previous episode. Perhaps she's feeling a bit lonely in her class lately. She has her track buddies, though they are in different classes. It does seem like she envies Kotarou having his class buddies to goof around with.

And speaking of the track friends, they're still very inquisitive about Hira. Hira keeps looking like he's about to confess, but I like that even being the apparent popular dude here, he's still about as awkward as Kotarou when it gets to finally coming out directly. Akane doesn't seem to be clueless to what's going on with her friends and Hira himself continually hinting at it, but her reserved nature makes her reluctant to answer back honestly. I do wonder about how Akane feels about Chinatsu revealing she struck up a friendship with Kotarou, and what Chinatsu's role will be going forward if the relationship between Akane and Kotarou does advance.

I really like the empathetic conversations Kotarou and Akane get to striking up in phone messages. It's nice how they can get to doing this even when it's so awkward for them in person. People around them advancing in (love how the wall slam short with Miyamoto in the previous episode is actually viewed from Kotarou's perspective this episode) or talking about romantic relationships is getting to them, though. Kotarou's lit club superstition gives him the advice to use his volition, something easier said than done with his personality. And those two can get to be awkward even with their text messaging when emotions are high about what to say about the track meeting, sometimes backspacing on their messages, particularly when Kotarou is about to ask something daring. Heh, seems light hitting the light plug is not only a tic of happiness for Kotarou, but one of frustration as well.

Even though neither can get up the nerve to message in the aftermath of track meet, even as Kotarou tries to pull himself away from his neighborhood duties for a bit, I like how Akane ends up positioning herself to run into him. And such a beautiful scene follows in the awkwardly sweet tradition for those two. But seems like Kotarou finally got the nerve to say something to move things forward, and... that's our cliffhanger. So what will Akane's answer be? Or will that end up being an "I didn't hear you" (doesn't seem like it though).

Comment

Re: Episode 3

Originally posted by EmperorBrandon View Post
                        ]I do wonder about how Akane feels about Chinatsu revealing she struck up a friendship with Kotarou, and what Chinatsu's role will be going forward if the relationship between Akane and Kotarou does advance.
                        I'm hoping it's not going to be a love-triangle. If not, it could be Chinatsu trying to gauge where Akane is with Kotarou, or even worse, selfishly using this friendship as a way to distract Akane from performing well on her runs. Chinatsu does seem really fixated at dating though. She's mentioning dating in almost every scene she's in, even suggesting that Hira goes out with Akane since she's convinced Akane wouldn't reject him (and in front of Kotarou no less). Wondering why she seems so anxious in getting to the two together and whether she really is interested in Kotarou.

Or, Chinatsu could really be sacrificing herself for Akane, thinking Akane is a better fit for Hira than she is [right now], thus her motivation in improving herself. She's probably really attracted to him, wants to impress Hira, and 'earn' him the hard way by training and championing over Akane. Until then, she's desperately waiting for either Hira or Akane to make a move. Seeing the two go nowhere might have her clinging to jealousy far longer than she wants.

But seems like Kotarou finally got the nerve to say something to move things forward, and... that's our cliffhanger. So what will Akane's answer be? Or will that end up being an "I didn't hear you" (doesn't seem like it though).
                        It's nice to see him trying to advance their relationship, but hopefully Akane reciprocates the same. Seems like she will accept his confession though, seeing that Chinatsu's supposedly on the move to get Kotarou and that there really isn't anything preventing her from making a decision since Hira never did confess in the end either.

Comment

Episode 4

Nothing can wash away their romance.

It's onto the class field trip in Kyoto, and the teachers are not allowing cell phones on the train. Kotarou doesn't have his, and that proves to be problematic when he and Akane go on a date in Kyoto during their free day the second day of the trip. Kotarou is late, and Akane is feeling uneasy about the situation seeing that Kotarou can't call her (at least not using his own cell phone), all while it's raining, but in the end the two meet up again. Pretty dramatic how all that went down.

Comment

Re: Episode 4

Nice to see Chinatsu coming to the rescue and knowing what's going on between Kotarou and Akane. Found it amusing that Setsuko was spot on in reading Akane's mood too, seeing how she was anxious in replying to a date. Was nice to see her give Akane some privacy; guess she's at least considerate in that regard.

Glad Akane's fortune turned out okay despite some minor bumps along the way. Though I'm curious if taking that fortune reading to heart, really influenced her decision. Seems like it did since she looked more confident in trying to answer Kotarou and wasn't indecisive and nervous playing around with her potato.

Still enjoying the pace of this SOL. The character interactions are pretty sincere, and the closest to reality I've seen in an anime for as long as I remember. It has the similar look and character feel of Grimgar of Ash and Fantasy, without the fantasy elements. It's patient in its storytelling, yet genuinely effective since both characters are developing their relationship at their own pace, never trying to rush things (Akane's reluctance/diversion to answer her friends' inquiry is a nice example of this) to advance unnaturally, or uncharacteristically for that matter. The attention to these kinds of details is what makes this show a beautiful watch, similar to the feelings elicited in shows like Non Non Biyori, EoC, etc.

The shorts are just as silly, though Ryouko-sensei and Roman's segments kind of come off a little awkward seeing how they're in middle school. Then again, I shouldn't be surprised knowing I've encountered similar oddities during those years.

Comment

Re: Episode 4

So what's with the need to prevent students from having their cellphones on the class trip? Is it just an attitude of the teachers thinking their students will be spending their time on the phones rather than taking in the trip experience? In any case, I guess it's necessary both for some fun intrigue (seeing the various ways they try to sneak their phones in) and frustrating drama (we just knew it was coming when Kotarou couldn't get by drunk teacher).

Heh, and do middle school students in Japan really use such ridiculously easy passcodes for their phone? Come on, don't use your birthday, Kotarou. Well, they can't keep dodging their friends forever on the issue. Going to be interesting to see what kind of reaction they get. Part of Akane's frustration at waiting for Kotarou is quite palpable seeing just how much she had to put herself in an awkward position with Aira and Miu, waiting to shake them off so she can meet up at the spot. They're expecting she's after the popular kid: are they going to look down on her when they find it's Kotarou? Perhaps she's at least thinking they will.

Nice that Kotarou manages to gather some nerves again in his idea to use Chinatsu to contact Akane. Not enough nerves for the final step, but thank goodness Chinatsu is perceptive enough to get him past that. I liked the red herring there with Aoi walking off, as if we were going to have a moment of those two spotted by ultra-jealous Akane (that would have been an exceptionally irritating cliche). But Akane's jealousy definitely gets fired up a few times here. She's not too pleased about how Kotarou got to contacting her on top of the sad wait. Good that he does spit out why, and it seems as if Akane wants to move things forward. The slow pace is nice, but I do hope we get to see some more forward movement coming up even if undoubtedly we will see some more bumps in the road.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X