X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Spring 2017] Kado: The Right Answer Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    正解するカド

A show about negotiation between the Japanese government and a mysterious being when a giant cube swallows a passenger jet.

Airs: Friday, April 7

Studio: Toei

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

Kōjiro Shindō is a highly-skilled negotiator working for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. As his plane at Haneda airport prepares to take off, a huge mysterious cube appears from the sky. 'It' expands rapidly, and absorbs the passenger plane and its 252 passengers. The cube's name is "Kado". A strange being called Yaha-kui zaShunina appears from within Kado and tries to make contact with humanity. Shindō, who was been absorbed by Kado, ends up taking on the role of mediator between Yaha-kui zaShunina and humanity. The Japanese government sends its own negotiator, Saraka Tsukai.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    Last edited by Buckeye; 04-06-2017, 12:09 PM.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Lecia Ivyred, The Rising of the Shield Hero
    Watching: Kyo Kara Maoh, Pokemon Sun and Moon, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, DRO, CQK, RSH, AOT, BSD, FRB, OPM, KYB, FGN, SKS, MLA, SMT, HBS, KOT, MIX, WNL, KMA, FIL, IDM, ISQ, SRG, STW
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 0

There isn't just one right answer.

So it begins with a prelude as Shindo and Hanamori take up a negotiation job with Osakabe Plating, where that factory is about to be claimed by the Cabinet Office. But thanks to the development of a supermetal that could revolutionize the auto parts industry that the factory stays in business with the government lending their support. Pretty solid way to set things up here going to show that there are lots of good answers when it comes to negotiation before all hell breaks loose with that big cube appearing out of nowhere to swallow the plane those two negotiators are on. While Toei is a reputable studio, I felt that the CG usage was out of place seeing that it isn't used for the majority of the episode. After all, this is the same studio that used it for the transformation sequences in Sailor Moon Crystal that was pretty unsightly.

So with that, it's onto episode 1 and the start of the main event.
    Simulcasts: FTL, DRO, CQK, RSH, AOT, BSD, FRB, OPM, KYB, FGN, SKS, MLA, SMT, HBS, KOT, MIX, WNL, KMA, FIL, IDM, ISQ, SRG, STW
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Episode 1

In many ways, it's a perfect cube.

So after episode 0 focused on Shindo and Hanamori, the focus is on the others working for the Japanese government, and in particular Shinkawa as that scientist sure has some interesting theories. Pretty great idea it was to try and approach that cube using weapons and robots to approach that cube seeing that there's just no knowing what could happen to them. In the end, Shindo walks out with the alien Yama-kui who brought that thing with him. Pretty much, this episode is all about the other guys as there are a lot of strange things going on here.

And so, I'll keep on watching this for now as while I'm interested in what has happened so far, there are some things that had me lost. And of course, the way CG is used here is another matter entirely. There are lots of questions raised here as all Yama-kui did was introduce himself, all while there's no knowing what's going on inside the cube that swallowed that flight.

Comment

Re: Episode 1

I was wondering what the deal was with starting with an "Episode 0", but then it becomes obvious why at the end. Shindou's task is not going be quite as mundane as it was in that episode, but it's establishing his elite skills as a negotiator. The fact that they have to tease something big is up in episode 0, while still starting everything off in episode 1, though, means there an awkward bit with some of the same material being repeated.

Huh? The government decides not to censor things from the public? Have they not been given the anime rulebook? Oh, and they decide to sit back and rationally leave things to the scientist experts rather than going in guns-a-blazing immediately. What is this madness? Hah, I like it though.

The science side, though, is represented by a quirky little hyper Kugyu-voiced super physics nerd. I love how so enthusiastic she is digging into this case. And that guy with her was worried about losing very expensive pieces of equipment. Of course nothing they could test here would be cheap, but we're dealing with a strange alien object here. Going to have to just accept the potential costs in such unusual circumstances.

But we get a reveal of the user (is there just one present here now? Or more around?) of the cube at the end. Kind of seems like Shindou has been doing his negotiation stuff already the whole time. Definitely curious what course we're going with the alien guy and his technology.

Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
        Need to fix the links. I was looking to check out the official site, but these are for Eromanga-sensei.

Comment

To be honest, this was actually a lot more interesting before the supernatural stuff came into play and then the preview for episode 2 raised too many red flags. So yeah done with this show for now. Not saying supernatural is bad, but you know how you don't want ketchup in your ice cream or chocolate syrup on chicken? Think of it like that. Plus I just know the antagonist(?) will highly annoy me anyway.
          "So be it you have control of the world, but I will rule the universe! The power of Sword and Axe!"
          Avatar: Tatyana of Romancing SaGa 3

Comment

Re: Episode 0

What was with that tease of a prologue of entirely 2D animation until the final scene? And not even Toei's usual level of low-quality animation, either; that looks perfectly good. Granted, this show's CG really isn't that bad. Toei also did Rakuen Tsuihou: Expelled from Paradise, and that had some of the best CG in anime. That was also a movie, so we can't expect the same level, but this was still fine. Time to see what the show is really like.
            My Top Anime | Manga
            My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
            My FP Reviews | Twitter
            FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Even with another full episode down, we hardly learn anything at all. Meh. Not really feeling it at this point. Maybe I'll check back at some point.
              My Top Anime | Manga
              My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
              My FP Reviews | Twitter
              FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 2

How does humanity advance?

So after the last episode was about what happened outside the cube, this one is about what's going on inside it as the Shindo and the alien Yaha-kui do some negotiations. The first order of business is for him to communicate with the Japanese government, all while he is keeping everybody hostage for 29 days as it is his desire to advance humanity. Pretty interesting stuff going down, though I'm still in the dark about so many things that I felt should have been revealed here.

I'll keep going for one more episode at the moment. Right now, this show is on the bubble, and as with all bubble shows, I am totally unsure about my intentions for the time being, so it stays for at least next week.

Comment

Re: Kado: The Right Answer Discussion Thread

Surprised to hear your on the bubble after Episode 2 as it's one of the single best episodes of Anime I've seen for along time. I was totally gripped by it and I'm totally head over heels for this series right now. Not sure it'll hold up for the entire run but I will definitely be seeing this through to the end.
                  Anime MAL/AP -- Collection Anime/Manga/Figures & General Merch -- YouTube Channel - Anime Pickups, Unboxings etc

Comment

Episode 3

He's got the power.

Yaha-kui's next step is to have a negotiation session with the Prime Minister, and he shows that he is of a different universe in a big way and finds Earth as the right place to advance humanity. And he makes his presence known with the Wam, which is a powerful energy supply. That was quite an intense negotiating session there as Yaha-kui sure isn't messing around when he says he wants to advance humanity.

So with that, it's starting to look like I'll keep this show, but I won't say for sure just yet. There's just so much intrigue going around that has me interested.

Comment

Episode 4

Too much of anything is bad.

While the Wam appears to be the cure-all for humanity's energy situation, unfortunately Shindo realizes that there are other problems that come with it as well, just like how everything is with negotiations. Somebody will not be happy with something, and with the Wam, oil-dependent countries are due to take a huge hit to their bottom lines. So it's back to the drawing board after the UN votes to take possession of the Wam much to the Prime Miniter's discontent, while Yaha-kui come up with something to address the critics.

So with that, the show's trial period has expired, and I'll be making a decision on this show soon. Currently, it is in a tight battle against its opponent, but I'm leaning towards keeping this show over the one it's up against. In any case, I haven't made a decision yet.

Comment

Re: Episode 4

I love how Shindou gets to pointing out one of my favorite scenes from the previous episode (I figured he was going there even before he stated it). Tsukai was so adorable breaking her serious demeanor and cracking up at the unique emerging comedy duo (I kind of wondered too, if there was a budding fujoshi there: in any case, this show seems to have a lot of male-male buddy'ing. Hah, that joyful greeting hug this episode) And then Tsukai's so adorable again being so self-conscious over it. I do wonder if the female colleague Shindou already knew before was a bit jealous in that scene where she seems them, though. Also funny seeing some of the not specifically serious examples of public opinion, thinking zaShunina is hot or that the Kado looks cool. Hah.

But there is definitely conflict brewing over the Wam as I expected. Permanent members of the Security Council always got to have their way, and oil-producing countries are obviously not happy. Tsukai may be right in that humanity is just not ready for this. But zaShunina doesn't want his intentions subverted by the UN. As the international pressure mounts quickly, curious to see what the plan with the Kugyu scientist is going to be. Interesting that even if humanity could get along, the Wam is found to not necessarily be as perfect as it seems at first. Does have some drawbacks to the environment that they have to consider.

Comment

Episode 5

Supply is not limited.

So Inuzuka is under pressure after the UN demands that they hand over the Wam, so Shindo comes up with a new plan and that is to have Shinawa examine the Wam to see if they can be created. So in an emergency press conference, Inuzuka decides to hand them over, and then Shinawa shows the world how Wam can be created, and that sparks a lot of debate about the potential consequences of this now that it's possible for everybody to create these things. Things took a big turn here, and it will be interesting to see what comes of this seeing that it's pointless now to hand over the Wam to the UN, and the JSDF is gearing up for war in case it happens.

Comment

Re: Episode 5

Well, Shinawa seems even more nuts that I thought. Did not expect her reaction to experiencing zaShunina's hand tricks in person would be to dig in with her teeth. Love Shindou's retort to that. They don't skirt the fact that this woman has issues even if she is a genius.

So that was what Shindou's game here was. They can turn over all of the Wam, but this is made meaningless when they are able to demonstrate anyone can just MAKE the Wam. So the Wam is truly going to spread throughout all of humanity as zaShunina wanted and unable to be monopolized by the powers that be on the Security Council. But even getting what he wants, there's going to be consequences... Definitely interested to see how they deal with them.

Comment

Episode 6

Moving on out.

So while it is possible to make Wam, only those with a sense of the anisotropic can as everybody who tries to make them aren't having much success. With all of the passengers now released that zaShunina needs to find a new location for the cube, one that won't interrupt daily business yet within reach of the government, and they find the perfect location in Sayama Lake. So after careful preparation, as well as with Shindo taking a break after working nonstop on this case, the cube is successfully moved. That was really something to see that cube migrating to its permanent location, all while there's lots of intrigue about what zaShunina has to say about a new kind of energy where humans can keep on going without rest.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X