X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Spring 2017] Kabukibu! Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    カブキブ!

A show about a high school student who is a kabuki fanatic and wants to start a kabuki club at his school.

Airs: Thursday, April 6

Studio: Deen

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Amazon

The series revolves around kabuki, a classic style of Japanese dance-drama that combines music, drama, and dance. Kurogo Kurusu, a 15-year-old high school student has a passion for kabuki and hopes to establish a kabuki club at school. Things are not easy as they seem when he realizes that he needs to find students to join him.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Lecia Ivyred, The Rising of the Shield Hero
    Watching: Kyo Kara Maoh, Pokemon Sun and Moon, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, DRO, CQK, RSH, AOT, BSD, FRB, OPM, KYB, FGN, SKS, MLA, SMT, HBS, KOT, MIX, WNL, KMA, FIL, IDM, ISQ, SRG, STW
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Ah, so Studio Deen is doing this. Interesting that they are doing something with the theme of traditional Japanese entertainment again. But more in the vein of Cheer Boys with ultra-enthusiastic boy trying to form a band of bros for a school club.

I wonder what kind of history Tonbo has with Kurogo. He gets all this pushed on him, but is not the least bit resistant at all. He is quite earnest, in his deadpan way, in helping out and researching potential members. The others they're trying to get are expectedly resistant, though. And they're quite the bunch of characters. Interested to see how they come around. Besides the "bros" it looks like we will get one girl in the club too with a princely aura. There's also a cute glasses girl it doesn't look like we've met yet. I'm curious about her: guess she's going to be a manager or something.

Comment

Re: Episode 1

Kabuki for five.

Seeing that this is Deen doing the animation that it had the feel of Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju seeing that Sukeroku and double suicide were mentioned, though nowhere near the level of drama and intensity that show had. Anyway, that was a pretty solid start there as Kurogo is gathering his troupe so that the kabuki club can be formed, but finding members just isn't going to be easy. In the end, he has enough guys scouted out (with one of them being a trap as Kaoru is actually a dudette), but not everybody is on board just yet. It looks like this show should be entertaining moving forward, so for now I'll keep going.
      Simulcasts: FTL, DRO, CQK, RSH, AOT, BSD, FRB, OPM, KYB, FGN, SKS, MLA, SMT, HBS, KOT, MIX, WNL, KMA, FIL, IDM, ISQ, SRG, STW
      The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

In theory I'd be interested in a series that explored kabuki, but this is not the one. I generally don't like the characters, the way it's written or directed, or the production values of Deen's weaker works. CLAMP did the character designs, but that doesn't do much good with the adaptation they get here.
        My Top Anime | Manga
        My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
        My FP Reviews | Twitter
        FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 2

Ebihara is nice at first, but knew he was going to be a jerk when Kurogo revealed his plans (of course that was telegraphed by Tonbo already knowing not to even try with him)

But Kurogo is making progress with Hanamichi and Kaoru. Hanamichi-senpai deep down ends up being extremely sensitive, and this tough guy act of his is just him being angsty about his body. And Kaoru-senpai is convinced by Kurogo's historical knowledge about a woman's role in starting kabuki.

Originally posted by EmperorBrandon View Post
          There's also a cute glasses girl it doesn't look like we've met yet. I'm curious about her: guess she's going to be a manager or something.
          I realized from the OP/ED last time that she probably will have something to do with costumes. And so she's probably the person Tonbo is talking about one point this episode. Looking forward to seeing her introduced, hopefully next time.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

The audience is amateur, too.

Kurogo has identified potential club members, but the next step is to get them to join and that's not going to be easy. Not when Kaoru is a girl, Ebihara looks down on amateurs, and Niwa has given up on dancing. But of course, Kurogo uses his influence and passion to get them to at least consider the possibility going to show that amateurs have their place as well, and a school club does exactly that. So it's onto watching the pros perform.

And with that, I probably will be dropping the curtains on this show soon as I was just getting nothing in terms of production values. I'll give it one more episode just to see the performance, but it looks like that will be all unless it makes a big turnaround or something.

Comment

Episode 3

Learn by watching.

While Kaoru and Niwa aren't exactly liking what happened in the performance, they are convinced to give kabuki a shot after Kurogo tells them the ins and outs of the show. Needing one more member, they turn to Maru to be the costume designer, and once again, Kurogo convinces her to join. While they have the members, they need an instructor and unfortunately there isn't one at school. It doesn't have to be a teacher at the school, so Kurogo decides to be one himself and puts on a performance that convinces everybody he's up to the task. So with that, the club is now official.

Well, that just wasn't doing it for me as I knew that this was going to happen, all while it's not exactly something out of the ordinary. So I guess this will be it for me as I wasn't getting into this show.

Comment

Episode 8

Once the "first act" of the play started (of one it was said there wasn't really two parts), it became quickly apparent what Kuro was going to do, with it all stemming from the lightbulb that went off due to Riri and Maru's English novel conversation. So he presents a "translated" version first, but then also gives a completely "authentic" version in the second act at which point the audience can understand (and it's so different, it doesn't really feel like watching the same thing twice). Pretty neat idea.

Ebihara is of course not happy with the blasphemy to kabuki, though he's not so stuck in his ways at this point that he does not at least get to noting that Kuro had put some effort into what he was doing. I was expecting him to try and leave at intermission, but ultimately he is delayed long enough (coming across the old kabuki supporter of the group who had similar reservations to be addressed) to end up catching the whole thing. While even his "kabuki family" is trying to get him to soften him up, I'm not sure if Ebihara is won over yet, but it will be interesting to see how things go next for him. I wonder if that dismissive daughter of a patron will show up again, or if she was just there to highlight the similar situations Kuro and Ebihara face and their differing reactions to them.

I was wondering whose mom the baggy-eyed woman was, and then I remembered how Kuro had brought her up before with her earnest but failed bentou effort. Nice to get a more prominent appearance of her this time. She's so moe and heartwarming. I really like seeing these single mom characters that are so danged sweetly supportive of their children even in the face of hardships. Very differing personalities between them, but makes me think of other characters I like a lot such as Miyako from A Silent Voice and Sachiko from Erased.

Comment

Episode 11

Originally posted by EmperorBrandon View Post
                  I was wondering whose mom the baggy-eyed woman was, and then I remembered how Kuro had brought her up before with her earnest but failed bentou effort. Nice to get a more prominent appearance of her this time. She's so moe and heartwarming. I really like seeing these single mom characters that are so danged sweetly supportive of their children even in the face of hardships. Very differing personalities between them, but makes me think of other characters I like a lot such as Miyako from A Silent Voice and Sachiko from Erased.
                  I assumed wrong about it being his mom, seeing Kuro called her "Saiko-san" next episode. Thought that meant that maybe she was his aunt, and that was confirmed by this episode. Though we got to find what job made her tired out in ep. 9. Manga artist! Awesome (particularly with Maru being excited about it).

So Akutsu did have kabuki heritage after all. Quite the drama laden family history too (as in Rakugo Shinju, another case of sexism in traditional arts). He's seen as an even bigger foil lately to the other kabuki child, Ebihara. His dad screws up big time once and from that he has to take things too seriously his whole life all for the inflated sense of family pride.

Well, Kuro was right in expecting (just as we in the audience could) that some crisis was bound to turn up since their plans were going so well up to that point. Sure enough... And of course now they have to turn to the bitter Ebihara. He's managed to soften up a bit with Akutsu and Kuro. We'll see how it goes. Feels like he's going to reject their offer and leave them on pins and needles until just the right time as Akutsu did for the festival.
                  Last edited by EmperorBrandon; 06-23-2017, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Episode 12

Heh, I was thinking the previous episode how it did seem like Riri had caught whatever Ebihara had when she was concerned for him. And just as they were about to leave with Ebihara having turned them down, Kuro gets the idea based on that. And the duty-bound Ebihara finally comes along, but with his conditions.

The performance goes well, though how things go in the aftermath is only implied by the good reaction they get. Assuming that they do get new members, and have they finally hooked Ebihara into doing anything more than his temporary turn here?

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                    Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                    Widgets Magazine
                    Working...
                    X