Akashic Records of Bastard Magical Instructor Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Episode 8

I like how the whole maid identity for Eleanor doesn't seem to have been a temporary disguise in serving the queen. She's still in full maid outfit even as she does her crazy rogue mage stuff (well, not so "full" by the end: got to see it get torn up in battle).

Comment

Re: Episode 8
      Originally posted by GingaDaiuchuu View Post
      Re=L is perhaps a bit too naive and a bit too easy to manipulate, to the point that she nearly kills everyone she cared about an episode ago. Hopefully the resolution to this can offer some real growth, because Re=L hasn't felt much like a person in general.
      That is one problem. Re=L must be won over because: plot. Meh.

The slightly more troubling thing is that Rumia is once again a kidnap victim. While I understand the need for conflict in stories (otherwise they're boring), it seems that "Hey, let's kidnap Rumia!" seems to be the only plot device the author knows. That's a problem. These Researchers of...Whatever (Re=L has that right) are just such paper thin cardboard villains I can't take them seriously. They probably have some idiotic plan about learning Resurrection Magic and using it to make themselves immortal liches or something along that line and then take over the world...boring.

On the other hand, I was actually fine with Sistine being unable to fight Re=L. For those thinking it was wrong for her to freeze, we should recall she's a high school girl who's never been in this kind of situation before. Firing little Shock Bolts in practice and in practice duels isn't the same as aiming and firing a mortal blast against a person right in front of you.
      Avatar: Craft Lawrence from Spice and Wolf.
      Scratchy for Tama is angry.
      Casually Reviewing: ???

Comment

Episode 9

What's her reason for living?

So Rumia was used as bait to catch a criminal who had been making chimeras, and with the tracking spell Albert put on her, Albert and Glenn knew exactly where to go. Seeing that her name is Re=L that as expected she is the end result of Project Revive Life, and her brother Sion is the one leading the project. In the end, Glenn's words got to her head as she resolved to live her way rather than for her brother's twisted ideals. Glenn sure did a great job in letting Re=L know that even those she was the result of an unethical research project that she still has her own will to live for the right reason.
        MyAnimeList | Avatar: Lecia Ivyred, The Rising of the Shield Hero
        Watching: Kyo Kara Maoh, Pokemon Sun and Moon, Toonami Stuff
        Simulcasts: FTL, DRO, CQK, RSH, AOT, BSD, FRB, OPM, KYB, FGN, SKS, MLA, SMT, HBS, KOT, MIX, WNL, KMA, FIL, IDM, ISQ, SRG, STW
        The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re:Episode 9

So that explains Re=L's name, but it can't be coincidence that she has the same name as the girl from Ergo Proxy.

And no, I still don't really care about her.
          My Top Anime | Manga
          My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
          My FP Reviews | Twitter
          FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

At least Rumia is saved...again. Let's hope that is the last time this happens...but I wouldn't place any money on this author not pulling that out again. I'm ready for the Researchers of...Whatever to just all be killed at this point, since they're both annoying and incompetent. Their only real capability is kidnapping a fairly defenseless high school girl and they can't even manage to hold on to her against a mere high school teacher (yes, I know, Radars is not your average high school teacher, but play along with me here). So...enough.

Sadly, I'm quite sure they're not going away as Evil Maid Woman (who cares what her name is at this point) got the silly ritual thing and will use that to resurrect some asshole mage, probably the asshole founder of the Researchers of...Whatever. And so they'll try to kidnap Rumia again and then Glenn and friends will have to save her...uggh, we're going to have a rinse and repeat, aren't we?

Pity, since there are other aspects of this story that have not been too bad this season.
            Avatar: Craft Lawrence from Spice and Wolf.
            Scratchy for Tama is angry.
            Casually Reviewing: ???

Comment

I'm like you guys, its starting to get annoyingly repetitive. Why can't they just have a nice chill episode of the class enjoying their trip without some sort of conflict. A lot of lost potential in character development, and world building. I will probably give it another episode but the hype from episode 2 is dead.

Comment

Episode 10

Everybody is the main character in their own story.

Here comes Leos to be a guest instructor, and he's out to marry Sistine with shady motives that only Glenn can sense, and as such he challenges Leos to a duel, just as he planned. Leos sure is up to something with Sistine being in the centerpiece of his grand scheme, so it will be interesting to see what his deal is. Of course, Sistine isn't on board and instead declares her love for Glenn, which creates a bigger stir. And then there's this background story about Sara, who is dead and is somebody who Sistine reminds Glenn of, so I'm curious to find out if there are any connections. But before that, there's that duel and Leos needs to be taught a lesson.
                Simulcasts: FTL, DRO, CQK, RSH, AOT, BSD, FRB, OPM, KYB, FGN, SKS, MLA, SMT, HBS, KOT, MIX, WNL, KMA, FIL, IDM, ISQ, SRG, STW
                The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 10

Heh, for this arc I was guessing they would vary things up by Sistine being the one in need of rescue instead of Rumia. And it does at least seem to be a little focused on her. Hopefully there's some interesting development for her beyond the possibility that she will need to be saved. And we're getting to find out about the lookalike from OP. I expected she would be a part of Glenn's tragic past. I wonder if the resemblance is just to emphasize Glenn being reminded of that when he see Sistine, or if there actually might be some kind of connection there beyond that.

Comment

Re: Episode 10

Sistine declaring her love of Glenn to avoid Leos's advances was one of those moments that was so easy to see coming a mile away. I'm guessing this will last to the end of the series, hopefully be conclusive enough for what it needs to accomplish, and probably set up some bigger plot pieces to encourage us to buy the source material.
                    My Top Anime | Manga
                    My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                    My FP Reviews | Twitter
                    FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 11

Once a fool, always a fool.

That Leos has shown his true colors now in that he wants to squash the Fibel family by marrying Sistine. The duel started out as a mock battle between classes and while the opponent has superior skills and taught under strategy expert, Glenn plays dirty with the traps and with the two-man technique realizing that the three-man technique requires lots of training that neither class has. So after that duel ends in a stalemate, Leos wants another duel, this time one-on-one, and it turns out that Leos has mastered the art of tulpa, which is manifested through alchemy and thus is immune to Glenn's negation, and after getting a beatdown the night before he has left the academy. Leos sure does need a good smackdown after what he did with Glenn and what he's about to do with Sistine. One more episode left to go and we shall see how Glenn comes back from this to give Leos a good beating after everything he just did.

Comment

Re: Episode 11

Nice to see Sistine finally talk to Glenn and press past the whole "marrying into money" deflection and get to his honest motivations. And that goes pretty nicely until the bastard Leos comes onto the scene. That's a bigger downer of an episode ending than expected, outright giving the "oh, and sensei hasn't returned and is not coming to save the day" vibe. Well, he probably will be back to do it anyway eventually, but what's going to go down in the mean time...? Leos has made his depressing plans for Sistine clear (and got the blackmail to keep her in line), which has me worried. Hoping the students can show what they've learned from Glenn and do something even before he inevitably come back.

Comment

Re: Episode 11

What a penultimate episode cliffhanger. Not the best kind of final plot I would hope for, but let's see if it can stick the landing.
                          My Top Anime | Manga
                          My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                          My FP Reviews | Twitter
                          FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 12

Over her dead body will they get married.

It turns out that this "Leos" is actually a fake and after seeing his ability in that combat that Glenn knew it was actually the former executioner Jatice who is trying to marry Sistine, and Glenn stayed away from school in order to strategize. And of course, he shows up just before the two kiss to crash the wedding and the two get attacked by zombies. While Jatice may have had the upper hand against Glenn, he is no match for Glenn and Sistine together. So with that, the show ends with a lot of ominous stuff floating around with the nation being built with evil intentions and the Akashic Records still holding the key to everything, but that's something to read the books for. That was quite a twist there as that wasn't actually Leos that did all that as the real Leos is dead.

Overall, this is a show that couldn't have started out any worse, but after a terrible opening that is a cliche-ridden mess, the show greatly improves to be a good show. The action is great, the character development is nicely done given the constraints, and the story is full of nice twists and turns that kept me wanting to watch more. That said, the way the story was constructed is the biggest knock on this show as it felt like it was constructed with cliches as its foundation with a twist added to each character, and that's something that doesn't feel innovative. In all, this is a nice show to watch once you get over the first episode jitters and everything.

MAL Rating:

Comment

Re: Episode 12

About as basic a finale as you could expect. Still not a bad show overall, for whatever reason.
                              My Top Anime | Manga
                              My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                              My FP Reviews | Twitter
                              FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...