X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Spring 2017] Alice & Zouroku Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    アリスと蔵六

A show about a test subject escapee in the form of a cute little girl who has the power to make anything in her mind come true, and an old man who helps her out after she escapes.

Airs: Sunday, April 2

Studio: J.C. Staff

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

The story centers on a little girl called Sana, who is one of the children that holds the power of "Alice's Dream," an ability that enables her to materialize anything she imagines. After escaping a lab where she was a test subject, Sana ends up in a normal world where she encounters an old man named Zouroku, but will he help her?

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    Last edited by Buckeye; 04-02-2017, 12:22 AM.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Nanako Yukishiro, Senryu Girl
    Watching: Ingress, Ancient Magus' Bride, Pokemon Sun and Moon, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, DRO, CQK, RSH, AOT, BSD, FRB, OPM, KYB, FGN, SKS, MLA, SMT, HBS, KOT, MIX, WNL, KMA, FIL, IDM, ISQ, SRG, STW
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Got a wish? She'll make it come true.

I wasn't expecting this show to begin with a double-length episode. It begins with a lot of action there with Sana escaping the research facility, and then the car chase with Asahi and Yonaga creating things out of thin air to capture Sana. Zouroku got caught up in all this, and pretty much he has to put up with Sana seeing that she has chosen him as her servant so that she can one day crush the research facility. So Zouroku has decided to let Sana stay at her place and help out at the flower shop. That was a pretty solid way to start things out though I'm not too big on the use of CG during that car chase scene. Those two are building quite an unusual relationship, and it will be interesting to see what comes of this and the research facility guys.
    Simulcasts: FTL, DRO, CQK, RSH, AOT, BSD, FRB, OPM, KYB, FGN, SKS, MLA, SMT, HBS, KOT, MIX, WNL, KMA, FIL, IDM, ISQ, SRG, STW
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

This is off to a great start. I love the contrast between the young, but powerful girl and the curmudgeonly old man. I love it how how Zoroku doesn't take any crap from the girls and how they crumble to his authority. That said, I am sure he will grow to be very fond of Sana as the series progresses. I just hope that the story doesn't get too dark as it goes along.

One thing I liked was that he yelled at them about the effects of their fight and all the destruction and mayhem they caused and how someone could have gotten hurt. There is so much anime where the good and bad guys do battle, tearing up the city, and not a mention is made of that. This was a refreshing change, and at least they were able to repair all the damage with their powers.
      Avatar: Tanya Degurechaff from Saga of Tanya the Evil

Comment

Originally posted by Gildor View Post
        I love the contrast between the young, but powerful girl and the curmudgeonly old man. I love it how how Zoroku doesn't take any crap from the girls and how they crumble to his authority. That said, I am sure he will grow to be very fond of Sana as the series progresses.
        I was thinking he's kind of tsundere in a unique way. The plot of children with superpowers trying to escape a facility has been done a number of times in anime and manga, but Zoroku seems to be making this much more interesting than the standard teenage boy we tend to get coming across this situation.

Originally posted by Gildor View Post
        I just hope that the story doesn't get too dark as it goes along.
        Yeah, this is one of my few potential concerns about this so far. I guess we shall see which direction it goes.

Comment

Somewhat decent premise, but nothing that interests me enough. Doesn't look that great either; some lousy CG and artwork. Nothing bad, but it's a no-follow for now.
          My Top Anime | Manga
          My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
          My FP Reviews | Twitter
          FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 2

Being different is being great.

Here comes Sanae, and no that's not the same person as Sana despite the similar names as she is Zouroku's granddaughter. Sanae sure has taken a liking to Sana, and that's something that Sana appreciates seeing just how gloomy her life was at the research facility. Just when things are going well, Sana's power causes trouble by bringing in a ton of pigs to feed off a giant pancake, all while those two teleport to all sorts of dangerous places before ending up in Antarctica. That was pretty nice to see those two getting along so well as if they are sisters.

So with that, while I would like to go ahead and call this show in seeing that Sunday's lineup is pretty weak, I'll hold that off until I check out the rest of the shows this season.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

That was a nice bonding episode between Sana and Sanae. I really like the contrasts between the characters. Sanae is so laid back compared to her grandfather. This episode also shows how Sana is still rather self-centered. Not that she is bad of course, but at this point she is a product of where and how she was raised, and of course she is still quite young. Her exposure to a loving, caring family should do wonders.

OK, so who is the older guy (Zoruko's friend) and the younger woman? I guess we'll find out more next week.

So far so good. At this point my favorite new show of the season.
              Avatar: Tanya Degurechaff from Saga of Tanya the Evil

Comment

Episode 3

Meet the strong arm of the late husband.

Here comes Minnie C., originally from America and married to a strong soldier who was KIA'd, and as such she has the power to call her late husband's arms to do some damage, which she does by kidnapping Sana while she was in the bathroom. The location was rewritten, and those arms pin her down and now she's in a tough situation. Things sure did happen so suddenly with all this going on because Minnie C is so desperate to see her husband again. And then there's Carl's Jr. that Sana and company were eating food from and that is pretty neat as well. I wonder what the company did to get their company on this show.

So with that, this show has pretty much secured its spot on my watchlist.

Comment

Re: Episode 3

hah, yet another Carl's Jr. product placement. Seems like they're really pushing their presence more aggressively over there. Kind of silly seeing how nobody else but the girls eat the burgers. Guess it wasn't a one-time deal...Akiba's Trip leading the way..

And evil Mamiko Noto is evil. Sad it always comes down to sacrificing a child for a pretty selfish and usually, impossible trade.

Comment

So that's the deal with the big hairy arms that Minnie C controls. It's kind of touching seeing how deeply she thought of her husband. Iraq War casualties is not something I think I've seen come up much in anime. Though Minnie C has gotten to be very, very twisted. Going to be interested to see how they get Sana out of this one. It's nice to see Zouroku had tried to be proactive, enlisting the help of close associates. Of course the enemies move fast and quietly.

Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
                    And then there's Carl's Jr. that Sana and company were eating food from and that is pretty neat as well. I wonder what the company did to get their company on this show.
                    Well, what do you think? Anime companies need that money.
                    Last edited by EmperorBrandon; 04-16-2017, 03:24 PM.

Comment

When Noto is voicing a evil character...run!
                      Avatar: Shimarin from Laid Back Camo.

Comment

Episode 4

So what if she's not human?

Zouroku sure did show Minnie C that Sana doesn't deserve to be treated as a test experiment even if Minnie claims that she's not human. Even if she isn't human, Zouroku doesn't think that way. Those two sure did take their bond to the next level, all made possible by Sana's powers that teleported Zouroku to her location. Minnie just fails to understand what these girls are all about there. And then comes Shizuku rescuing those two, and it will be interesting to see what she's all about.

Comment

Re: Episode 4

Getting Zouroku there was exactly what Sana needed. Very awesome in how he responds to Sana's angsting over the "not human" revelations and to Miriam's BS.
                          Last edited by EmperorBrandon; 04-23-2017, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Episode 5

There's always a place for her.

First Carl's Jr., and now Snickers has their product placement here. So the rescue operation is on with Ichijo and Minnie C. battling it out on the cargo ship. Just when it looked like Minnie C. was about to finish off Ichijo, in comes a maid to save the day. After all that, Sana and Zouroku are finally home, while Minnie C. has been arrested and sent back to America. That was some pretty intense fighting there, and in the end all is well, at least for now it is. But there are still more plots going on after this as all this happened because one women wanted to see her late husband rather than something more far-reaching.

Comment

Re: Episode 5

Yamada is really obsessed with Ichijou. But she doesn't exaggerate at all about how badass Ichijou is. Really came through quite nicely against Minnie C.

I did a double take at the unaltered Snickers name. It is indeed an officially-approved product placement, seeing Mars Japan Limited have a Special Thanks spot in the ending credits.

And there was so much sweetness with Sana and Zouroku this time. Particularly nice was the bit near the end where Zouroku responds to Naitou's teasing about him being in a rare good mood. He's got another granddaughter today *happy tears*

Somewhat unexpected that we get a completely clean uninterrupted happy ending this episode, despite Naitou's attempt to jinx it at one point. I'm pretty sure trouble will start up again, but no sign of it yet.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X