X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Spring 2017] Frame Arms Girl Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    フレームアームズ・ガール

A show that markets a line of bishoujo figures who happen to be robotic warriors. An unsuspecting girl is in for quite a surprise when she opens someone else's package by mistake.

Airs: Monday, April 3

Studio: Zexcs

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Anime Network

Ao Gennai mistakenly opens a package that wasn't meant for her, and, to her surprise, she sees a small robot named Gourai, a Frame Arms Girl who has an evolving personality. Confused as to how this little robot made it into her life, she finds out that she is the first person to activate her. She realizes taking care of Gourai is harder than she thought, especially when competitive fights are involved!

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Rikka "Lily" Isurugi, Black Fox
    Watching: Gate, Mitsuboshi Colors, Snow White with the Red Hair, Ghost Hound, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, KYB, FRB, MIX, FIL, MTI, DUN, ALS, COP, DRS, IDD, FSN-LE, VLS, MMZ, GIV, HES, HDB, AKO, NHG, RST, SND, PKC
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Built from the ground up.

Pretty much it was what I was expecting this show to be, made with the intent to market Kotobukiya's new line of figures. Ao suddenly gaining the attention of the manufacturer of the Frame Arms after activating Gourai. So she gets a job to test out the Gourai model as several other of these miniature robots arrive at her doorstep to engage in battles, with the first one being against Stylet. It looked like Gourai had no chance seeing that her gun was so hastily put together that it can't fire straight. But thanks to Ao's strategy to jump and shoot at point blank that she won.

So at the moment, this show is on the outside looking in under the assumption that this show won't appear on any other service, and I feel that I won't be missing much. But I certainly would like to see some more of this before deciding what to do. While I wasn't expecting much from this show, especially since these pint-sized girls are animated in low-quality CG, it certainly something that I would enjoy.
    Watching: Gate, Mitsuboshi Colors, Snow White with the Red Hair, Ghost Hound, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, KYB, FRB, MIX, FIL, MTI, DUN, ALS, COP, DRS, IDD, FSN-LE, VLS, MMZ, GIV, HES, HDB, AKO, NHG, RST, SND, PKC
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

This is feeling a good bit more to my tastes than Busou Shinki was. The owner is a cute, sweet girl who seems like she's going to be interacting with them more (love how she gets Stylet being tsundere with her by the end: maybe she's going to have a doll harem too), rather than mostly being left on their own with a milquetoast dude around every now and then.

Comment

Re: Episode 1

Not as gross as I feared it might be, but it was more of a stupid and boring model kit commercial with some lousy CG, which is maybe worse. I couldn't imagine there being anything I'd like about it, so I wasn't afraid that I'd have to also get an Anime Network subscription for one Sentai simulcast on top of Anime Strike for all their others, and this certainly did nothing to change my mind. And no, it especially did not inspire me to order any model kits. Sorry, Kotobukiya.
        My Top Anime | Manga
        My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
        My FP Reviews | Twitter
        FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 2

Hah, stuff left out on the floor, and breakable pieces hidden under such stuff. This feels relatable. Need to prioritize picking up anything you might walk over. Of course Stylet's problems with flying didn't at all have to do with trauma over Gourai beating her. Just Ao walking over things on the way to the bathroom. But she's so moe over wanting to conquer her trauma that that Ao keeps Stylet ignorant (thwarting Base's attempts to inform her) to let Stylet baske in her happy feeling of accomplishment.

While they were still trying to conquer the trauma thing, it was great seeing Gourai's great idea for "shock therapy". I was getting yuri vibes from this show, but I didn't expect something that intense so soon. :D Gourai really didn't need to battle Stylet in the first place when a kiss is enough to fully deplete her HP. And though Stylet is in such shock that she doesn't remember, seems like her battle trauma with Gourai was replaced with a different kind of intense emotional feeling.

Ao is so philosophical about using the cleaning robot to clean up rather than doing it herself. It's funny what the dolls discover about Ao while she's gone, getting to laugh at how weird and silly she is with her poetry and autograph practice. They're really couldn't have got a master who was a more perfect match for them. Then they have to worry about robot recording their conversations and relaying it to Ao in a scrambled way that makes it sound worse. Gourai's idea of the way Ao might punish her... doesn't seem like that much of a punishment. Well, they manage to end the episode with Ao not finding anything out. Ao doesn't really seem to type to snap on her cute dolls making fun of her, though.

And we've got to get an obligatory battle with Baselard out of the way, before we start to introduce more Frame Arms Girls. Base was supposed to have the same advantage as Stylet, but the aftermath of cleaning robot antics ended up screwing things up for her. Heh, Base seems so spacy in the way she talks, though we got early in the episode that she's actually the smartest of the three we've seen so far, and using it to troll the others at times.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

That was one hell of shock therapy...I mean kiss.
            Avatar: Shimarin from Laid Back Camo.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

Keep the place clean.

Ao sure does need to keep her apartment nice and tidy seeing that she stepped on one of Stylet's parts that caused some serious malfunctions. Just when she thought she had fixed the problems by getting a Roomba that one of her neighbors wasn't using anymore, that thing had a mind of its own and Baselard went for a ride on it. So Baselard decides to help out by battling Gourai to get Ao some cash, and while she normally has the advantage, that dust from the whole Roomba fiasco messed with her aiming mechanism. In the end, Ao got something that should work just as well.

Pretty silly stuff that was, and it was nice to see Baselard acting cute through all this craziness. In all, those three FAs sure are getting along quite well, all while Ao just needs to work on keeping things neat, something that's tough to do when these girls are stirring up trouble. So with that, I guess I'll go one more, but this show is almost certainly going to be dropped seeing that this show is the only thing worth subscribing to TAN for with the way Sentai has been doing business this season.

Comment

Episode 3

So Baselard stows away to Ao's school. And she gets right to her usual game of trolling, first with the fellow FA Girls coming to get her then random girls around school. Look like this is an all-girls school, though no surprise since this is another of those shows where guys barely seem to exist. At school we get the introduction of Ao's good friend Kotobuki Bukiko. With all of those buki's you can tell she's going to be obsessed with weapons, quite happily coming across the Frame Arms Girls. Despite her weirdness, she actually seems to be quite competent given how girls in class are depending on her for homework copying, and having a smart plan to end the Baselard troublemaking spree.

The next bunch of FA Girls are introduced in the second half, now a pair of closely linked (they make sure to show that off in a suggestive way too...) sisters. It doesn't matter whether it's Black or White, the Materia sisters are sadistic to the core. Also really like to kiss (to greet, and with each other). Poor Stylet is their ideal target. Base is ruled out for the team battle with them because she's too similar to them in her devious ways. Nice to see this as an opportunity for Stylet to get along better with Gourai even if unsurprisingly they're not much in sync at all at first. And they get to doing as Gourai gets a new weapon provided by Bukiko. Have to get their jabs in at Ao's hopelessness yet again, after her poor acting and goat incidents earlier, with that point, but she'll always forge ahead unfazed anyway.

Even with those crazy sisters beaten, Stylet is still going to have to put up with them. Ao was resistant to take on more troublemakers first, but she's definitely not resistant to the sound of money *cha-ching* that she will get from even more battle testing. And so she'll be happy to keep building her doll family. Stylet's now completely outnumbered 3-1 by girls who are merciless towards her, and her bonding with Gourai is no help either when she'll go along with anything Ao wants. Still got some more Frame Arms Girls to introduce. Hopefully for Stylet's sake they'll help to balance things back.
                Last edited by EmperorBrandon; 04-18-2017, 01:36 AM.

Comment

Re: Episode 3

It takes two to make this thing go right.

First half is all about Baselard causing a lot of mischief as she sneaks into Ao's bag to go to school, and she's putting on quite a lot of mischief there. It's a good thing that Ao has a friend who's into these type of toys as the appropriately-named Bukiko or else things would have gotten really out of hand. That's just Baselard acting cute and doing all sorts of crazy things in the process.

Then the Materia sisters arrive and they are a sadistic pair. But in a two-on-two, they were just no match for Gourai and Stylet as those two are working together in the crunch.

So with that, this will be it for me as far as this show goes as having to scale another paywall just for this show is definitely not worth it. At least I would have been open if it had been streaming on Amazon much like with the other Sentai shows this season at the very least, but if this show is the different between signing up for a TAN subscription, then forget it.

Comment

Episode 4

Next addition to the dollhouse (quite literally by the later half of the episode) is a FA Girl with a feudal Japanese mindset. Making me think of Kennosuke since it has been long since I watched Kuromukuro. Well Jinrai seems to be more of a ninja than a samurai, armed with kunai and such (and even states it when designing her room). I figured she was going to be the type to be so determined that she'd even try to attack Ao if she didn't get her way. Gourai is sweet in stepping in to defend, though that gives Jinrai what she once. Still not breaking Gourai's winning streak even if Ao's hastily-constructed weapon gives out in the process.

It's cute to see the process of making the rooms that we see in the OP sequences, all fit to their personalities. With the Materia sisters, it seemed less about the extravagance and more about how Ao was going to react to how they obtained it. Heh, they get exactly what they want there. Poor Ao. And the fact that there's an empty space in the house does not go unnoticed by Ao in her despair too. There will be at least one more really eccentric doll to deal with.

Comment

Episode 5

Seemed like we were getting an immediate rematch between Gourai and Jinrai, but then Architect showed up and they got to turn it into a team battle, in which those two work quite nicely together (overcoming their inability to fly). Ao gets the background on Architect explained to her but doesn't get it. But she doesn't really need to get it as long as she hears she's getting even more money out of it. The emotional finish with Architect, though is a nice bonus. Gourai going for her patented "shock therapy" (kiss). I kind of figured Architect would end up getting a physical doll form, given how we still had a spare room to fill.

Their cleaning robot has been given an upgrade by the talented Bukiko. Cleaning is not her style, though: it's now a support vehicle for cute military doll girls. Ao is cooking up something to thank her (so sweet), but... always sucks when you have already started cooking something and you realize you're out of an essential ingredient. I didn't know how she was going to get that vinegar fast enough as she was keeping the pork cooking, though. Sure enough she later ends up with unusably burnt pork. Task-oriented Architect is the only one to actually get the stuff from the errands, with the others getting themselves embroiled in unnecessary rivalries and antics.

Comment

Episode 6

The three trolls keep up their reign of terror. Even being outnumbered by the non-trolls, they still have opportunities. Heh, and they join in on Jinrai when Ao's choice of underwear under her kimono offends Jinrai's historical sensibilities. This feels like the first time they've gone full on attack with pranking Ao. And Team Help Ao loses to Team Prank Ao when it comes to underwear access, but it was a sweet, valiant effort. I still rather like Jinrai, though: I like how she gets to reflecting on what she's done later in the way you'd expect her with her samurai code (though of course the others stop her from trying to carry out seppuku). And Ao gets to enjoy her fireworks with the dolls quite nicely in a private setting on the roof.

Materia sisters are still so bad, bad, bad though. They're not afraid to sexually harass someone much greater their size.

Bukiko is pretty monomaniacal even with her ghost stories as I would expect. While part of the poltergeisting experienced elsewhere is again the result of our troll dolls' plotting, it turns out the ghost of the girl who used her nippers incorrectly actually exists. As if often the case with these kinds of things, it ends on a bit of a sweet note with the ghost helping Gourai out (no reward for trolls).

Comment

Episode 7

So the dolls' next idea of passing the time while Ao is gone is to play hide & seek. Materia sisters love to give a spin on the game that matches their tastes. And when it's Base's turn to be "it", she again shows, despite how she sounds and acts airheaded, she's quite crafty. About tricked Gourai with her devotion to Ao, when she was playing voice samples. Like how Architect was helpful in picking up on it. Base just gets bored of the game and sleeps on it in the middle.

And with that, in comes someone to crash the game in the most rowdy way possible. Interesting that our apparent final boss(?) Hresvelgr comes on to the scene already. And of course Gourai is not going to win against "the strongest!" right away, so a good chunk of this episode is her having to come to terms with the frustration of losing (after being undefeated up to this point). I love how Hresvelgr, fresh frrom her victory, doesn't spend a single second staying around to chat. That "Peace, bitches!" bit in the subtitle translation really cracked me up. It would seem a bit liberal for a "Jaa!" but it totally fit the personality and the mood of her exit, as she broke through the window. Probably some more of Ao's money down the drain there...

Ao sincerely wants to help Gourai get stronger, but she doesn't know where to begin and realizes she doesn't have much of an understanding of how the FA Girls are made. Time for our super-nerd Bukiko to come in and explain all of the details. Well, not all of them. Still more to them that's a secret (teases Materia), likely implying the fantastical elements about how the girls are alive and the battlefields work. They may very well just remain a mystery, but I guess we shall see. I was amused to see Bukiko parody Misaka when she got to the electricity element.

Comment

Episode 8

I was a bit surprised to see Gourai already getting to beat Hresvelgr, but then it makes sense when it's revealed to be Architect simulating her. Architect is rather cutely confident of her calculated probabilities later in trying to encourage Gourai later too, but I'm willing to bet Hresvelgr will have some unrevealed tricks up her sleeve that they haven't accounted for here.

Ao is so proud of the upgrade job that we was actually able to do all by herself, and then on one will acknowledge the poor girl while the battle is going on. I like that she gets some thanks for Gourai at least. As far as that "pep rally" goes, it's good that Gourai is the type for which the thought is all that counts since they are all pretty incompetent in the events they put on. I wonder if the Materia sisters' comedy act is intentionally bad for the purpose of "punishing" their audience. Wouldn't put it past them. The funny (and adorable) part of that was how Jinrai somehow reacting to the act like it was drop-dead hilarious every time. She's so simple-mindedly easy. An Ao's heartfelt letter of gratitude wouldn't seem to be as such to the normal person hearing the money sounds being made throughout it. But it's all sweetly-received by Gourai which is all that really matters.

Interesting to get to hear what's up with Ao's parents. As strange as lot of things are in this show. Her dad is a luxury cruise captain and wife is always along for the ride (and Titanic parodies). Ao talks about her parents being "off", and of course, she is too so we see where it comes from. I wonder what was up with the random girl coming to play and acting like the Frame Arms Girl is a completely normal thing, but that girl didn't seem to be normal either. The spirit of some doll Ao used to play with? The strange things never end. Heh...

Comment

Episode 9

After Hinako Note last week, yet another episode about girls going overboard in trying to treat a cold. Except these girls go way overboard and there's no one to reign them in. I knew that usual leek joke was probably going to happen. And right, who better than the Materia sisters to carry it out. But eventually the FA Girls get to actually listening to what Ao really wants. Pretty similar feeling to how it was resolved in Hinako Note too.

Wait? Is that Gourai at human size? And yep... I knew we were in for an extended dream sequence with Ao getting to have fun with all of the others as regular humans. Amusing to have those moments where Ao still acts like they're still dolls (can't you fly? you eat food?), and they poke fun at Ao not knowing what she's talking about. Interesting to see some of the specific roles they take on, with Base being implied to be a foreign loli from the start. But I was curious what the Materia sisters were going to be since they didn't show up at first. And hah, teachers acting like that with their students... they would surely be fired. It seems at the end of this all, it was actually a bit of a collective dream. I wonder if that, and them "catching a cold" when you wouldn't think they would, are manifestations of their desires to be closer to Ao.

They put off any sign of the Hresvelgr fight they were preparing for the past few episodes, but since I figured that was coming as an ending arc thing, and that there's seemingly no other dolls to introduce, no surprise they're really filling in time with the more slice-of-lifeish stuff. But I'm more interested in that anyway.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X