X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Spring 2017] The Silver Guardian Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    銀の墓守り

Another take on this whole gamers trapped in a game cliche, and this one comes from Chinese source materials. This time, the gamer is a Tomb Raider.

Airs: Saturday, April 1

Studio: Emon

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

Lu Shuiyin (Riku Suigin in Japanese) is a master of gaming, a skill only known to his classmate Lu Lian (Riku Lin in Japanese). One day, Shuiyin receives a device from Lu Lian for a tomb raiding online game. While Shuiyin is excited to receive the device, Lian is suddenly kidnapped. Shuiyin touches the device that was left behind, pulling him inside the game and trapping him there. What is the imaginary world inside the device? What will Shuiyin find there?

It is a world where two groups of people fight over the power of the gods, which originates from the tomb the mother goddess Pangu (Bango in Japanese). The two groups are the tomb raiders and the tomb protectors. The device Shuiyin received from Lian is called the Monolith, and it allows a normal gamer to go near the tomb. The tomb raiding group plans its attack by recruiting common people in the name of gaming. Shuiyin, as the final tomb protector, must fight against the raiders in order to save Lian.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Echidna, Re:Zero
    Watching: Gundam 00, Dorohedoro, Medaka Box, Golden Wind
    Simulcasts: HZG, DKD, FRB, KGY, TOA-R, OGF, 8NT, ART, BNA, GLP. KKG, LSN, SKT, SBA, YFM, TOG, WLN, A3A, PCR, SHV
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Drowned in games.

Well, this could have been a lot worse, but it is what I have come to expect out of shows from Chinese origin. At least it's holding my interest enough to continue with this for now seeing that these are half-length episodes. In any case, the story concept has intrigue, but the execution is absolutely atrocious. It starts out with Suigin in the game, then going back to what happened one year ago that only tells the story about how Suigin met Rei as Suigin's cat was thrown into a swimming pool and Suigin tried to rescue it only to be rescued himself by Rei, and then it's back to Suigin in the game without explaining enough to make sense of things.
    Simulcasts: HZG, DKD, FRB, KGY, TOA-R, OGF, 8NT, ART, BNA, GLP. KKG, LSN, SKT, SBA, YFM, TOG, WLN, A3A, PCR, SHV
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
      Drowned in games.

Well, this could have been a lot worse, but it is what I have come to expect out of shows from Chinese origin. At least it's holding my interest enough to continue with this for now seeing that these are half-length episodes. In any case, the story concept has intrigue, but the execution is absolutely atrocious. It starts out with Suigin in the game, then going back to what happened one year ago that only tells the story about how Suigin met Rei as Suigin's cat was thrown into a swimming pool and Suigin tried to rescue it only to be rescued himself by Rei, and then it's back to Suigin in the game without explaining enough to make sense of things.
      Yeah, good description. A whole lot of "not much" going on here exposition-wise. If it wasn't for the description, you wouldn't know he's somehow trapped in a game. Zero explanation of things in the first episode. It wasn't bad (although, arguably the CGI was) but nothing to latch onto here. I'll give it a bit.
      My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
      1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
      2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
      3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

It seems like they are splitting this show into two halves. With one half concerned with what his life is like as a defender and the other half concerned with how he got the role. To be honest I like the former half better.

The defender half for the most part has an interesting atmosphere as you have a guy who is strong enough to keep enemies at bay, but it feels like there may be no end in sight. Plus that scene they showed gives indication he might have failed to fight the final boss.

The origin half however is meh so far and is showing us stuff we could have guessed. Well maybe it will get better, but just ugh did we really need a guy who is like "Darn, no puppies to kick. Oh a cat to throw"? He feels like he wasted time in the episode.

I think this has potential, but it also feels like in several cases they were dedicated to crushing that potential.

Comment

The standard for Chinese co-productions has not changed. Ultra generic and cut-rate. At thirteen minutes, there's not much value to be had.
          My Top Anime | Manga
          My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
          My FP Reviews | Twitter
          FPR Episodes | Apple

Comment

Episode 2

A friend in game only.

And to follow up the first episode that didn't explain everything that happened that got Suigin transported to the gaming world, it still doesn't get to that point. Suigin and Rei are able to become friends in the game with Suigin knowing that she's controlling that character. But she's totally out of reach in the real world. And now, Suigin faces a crisis with the game about to end, and this is much like how Overlord went. My goodness is the plot all over the place, and Suigin's character in the game looks totally lame as it's a guy in his underwear wearing a scarf and a knight's helmet. Some interesting developments are happening, though, so I'll give it another episode just to see how Suigin reacts to this.

Comment

Episode 3

The game is just beginning.

While Suigin is down in the dumps with his favorite game coming to an end soon, as well as opportunities to hook up with Rei, Rei's father is getting ready to launch a new game where it's all about robbing other players. I wonder what Suigin will do next now that he doesn't have much longer to keep up the gaming relationship.

So I'll watch one more episode before deciding what I want to do with this show seeing that things are getting more interesting now, and it has managed to hold my interest better than I had expected out of shows based on Chinese source material.

Comment

Episode 4

The party's over, but the game is just beginning.

The game ends with a lot of fanfare, both good and bad as there's a going-away party for Dungeon Century, but then a PK arrives to kill and strip everybody of their equipment. And then there's a worker who killed Rei's father while all that is going on. But at least Suigin finally gets to hook up with Rei IRL, something that only happened through games. Things sure went out with a whimper in a big way.

So with that, the trial period has ended, and through four half-length episodes things have been really slow to develop. Chances are it won't be kept, but I am not going to definitively say so at the moment.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                Widgets Magazine
                Working...
                X