X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Winter 2018] Overlord II Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    オーバーロードⅡ

The sequel to the show about a player who becomes trapped in a game after it goes offline, and uses this opportunity to rule over the land within the game.

Airs: Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Studio: Madhouse

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

Season 1 Thread

The final hour of the popular virtual reality game Yggdrasil has come. However, Momonga, a powerful wizard and master of the dark guild Ainz Ooal Gown, decides to spend his last few moments in the game as the servers begin to shut down. To his surprise, despite the clock having struck midnight, Momonga is still fully conscious as his character and, moreover, the non-player characters appear to have developed personalities of their own!

Confronted with this abnormal situation, Momonga commands his loyal servants to help him investigate and take control of this new world, with the hopes of figuring out what has caused this development and if there may be others in the same predicament.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these two easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please indicate in the first line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please quote that post (or a relevant reply to that post), or include the episode title in the first line. ("Re: Episode 1") Just make sure the episode is indicated.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Violet Evergarden of KyoAni's Violet Evergarden
    Watching: Kyo Kara Maoh, Pokemon Sun and Moon, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, FRB, KYB, FGN, MIX, FIL
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

The stage is set for despair.

Pretty much, this episode is all about getting reacquainted with the main cast, while setting the stage up for the next story arc as a new threat emerges. Ains is on the top of his game as usual, while Hamsuke continues to be a great pet, Albedo is madly in love, Aura is chowing down on a triple cheeseburger, and having died and been reborn Shalltear's memories from her previous life aren't completely gone seeing as she's drinking her sorrows away. And then it ends with a village of lizardmen being attacked setting the stage for big things to go down. It does the job in setting the stage, and now things are about to get insane. It's great to be back with this show, and I like that the novel author is thanking us for our support there in the credits in getting this sequel to happen.
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

Before we even get to Ains and company, we get a whole slew of new personages. Will be interesting to see what their role is. What stands out most is the dragon who seemingly played a part in subduing Shalltear. Given the high-class powers of those in Ain's army compared to pretty much anyone they faced in the first season, it would have taken someone really special to do that, and now we have a piece of the answer. After the crisis with Shalltear, Ains is rather vigilantly focused on what happened there and looking forward to seeing how things unravel.

Heh, speaking of Ains, I was just waiting to hear his inner nerd voice again. Haha. We do get some thoughts on how he feels about Albedo's advances. Well, it seems like we may even have someone on the opposing side too who would want to have a baby with him...

Speaking of new characters again, it's interesting to get some other quirky servants in the Ains army. Got a bartender with whom Shalltear is drowning her sorrows in drink (will be interesting to see how she recovers: perhaps with Ains taking up Albedo's suggestion in a way). The penguin butler knocking over a glass makes me think of a particular scene from Azumanga Daioh.

Then the lizard people being all casual and talking about what they were going to eat reminds me of the segment from Restaurant to Another World. But the cliffhanger for an episode was an apparent crisis for them. Curious to see where they're fitting in.
      Last edited by EmperorBrandon; 01-09-2018, 12:15 PM.

Comment

Now that I'm reading the light novels, I know a bit more about the trajectory of the series, but that does make me happy to know how good it gets, and I just hope the adaptation does it justice. It's another strong return from Madhouse this season. Really interesting that they got all these shows at once after having none for so long. Of course, I'd rather they do the next season of One Punch Man than this, but it's not that simple.
        My Top Anime | Manga
        My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
        My FP Reviews | Twitter
        FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Kind of a, hmm, type of episode, as not much action took place. A bit of a slow start to the season, but it sets up a lot of things, with past connections, new characters and dilemmas. I'll be watching.
          My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
          1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
          2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
          3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

Episode 2

They'll put up a fight.

This episode is mostly a conversation between Crusch and Zaryusu as the lizardman tribes all face a big threat. Zaryusu wants to fight back, but he will have to get the support of the other lizardman tribes, which is not going to be an easy task. Nevertheless, that was quite an interesting conversation those two had and they are falling for each other, but carrying it out and forming these alliances isn't going to be easy as many want to flee than fight back. The first step is that Zaryusu must beat Zenberu to gain his trust. Pretty much, this is setup for big things to come as there is a lot that needs to happen for these guys to win.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

Interesting how deep we're going with the lizardman drama. Most amusing of all is the sudden romantic comedy.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

Wow, a whole episode about the lizardmen. And with the way it ended, they could keep that up for some time. This series can be quite unconventional when it wants to be. I give it props for that.
                My Top Anime | Manga
                My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                My FP Reviews | Twitter
                FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 3

Chilled to the bone.

Zaryusu sure does come through here with his ice power as he showed Zenberu what he is made of, and then leads the army to take out all of those skeletons on the battlefield. Then he charges with Zenberu, Rororo, and Crusch to take out the ringleader Iguva, and he proved to be quite a formidable foe. But he uses ice magic to surprise him and deliver the finishing blow. That was great to see the lizard show up, but at the same time there's something amiss here seeing that it was Ains himself who ordered the invasion of the lizardmen as he has some ulterior motive that has yet to be explained.

Comment

Re: Episode 3

Woo Zaryusu! You're a great protagonist. Oh right, Ains is supposed to be the protagonist. It's amazing that they can go for this long with treating his enemies as the heroes and showing only enough of his forces to give us villains to root against in favor of our new favorite warriors. They better be able to explain the reasoning behind all of this well enough to not just leave us missing Zaryusu as the lead for the rest of the series.
                    My Top Anime | Manga
                    My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                    My FP Reviews | Twitter
                    FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 4

They're coming after you.

So after the lizardmen won the first battle, Ains is out to take over the land under Demiurge's suggestion, and he's sending out Cocytus to fight them while coming out there to let those lizardmen know what's happening. Pretty much, this is all setup for the big battle, one that will probably end in defeat for those reptiles. That was pretty courteous that Ains lets them know ahead of time what they are up against, but nevertheless Ains is out to get them. Should be interesting to see how things go, and what Crusch is going to do after getting impregnated.

Comment

Re: Episode 4

Turns out Cocytus is the nice guy of the group. He wants to keep the Lizard Men alive, and although it takes Demiurge phrasing the idea in a different way, it sounds like Ains might be up for treating them well, commanding Cocytus not to rule through fear. And then... he shows up on their front lawn and declares himself their ruler through pure fear-mongering, even forcing them to go through another battle before they're even allowed to join. So let's see what comes from this. The Lizard Men sure aren't getting their due by being enslaved by these monsters.
                        My Top Anime | Manga
                        My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                        My FP Reviews | Twitter
                        FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 5

Fought like a true warrior.

While the Lizard Men had their way in the first battle, against Cocytus, they are just no match as his magic is god level. But despite knowing just how outmatched they were, the Lizard Men continued to fight and Zaryusu earned his respect. With Ains having conquered the Lizard Men, Ains now had the leverage to bring these reptiles onto their side as he brings Zaryusu back to life to gain their allegiance. That was quite a show of courage there as they just kept on fighting, but in the end Cocytus is just way too powerful.

Comment

Re: Episode 5

So Shalltear finally gets her long-promised punishment and it's more like a major reward for her. Haha, Ains accepts it on the basis of being punishment for himself.

The exceedingly awkward moments for Ains just don't end, though. I realized just before we got to seeing it what they were going to see of Zaryusu and Crusch (some reason it didn't dawn on me until right that moment), and it was quite hilarious for them all to be sudden voyeurs on the culmination of several episodes' worth of lizardman romantic development. Most amusing was Ains being most worried about Aura and Mare's innocence.

Comment

Re: Episode 5

"Don't rule with fear. BUT FUCKING SLAUGHTER THEIR LEADERS IN FRONT OF THEM TO SHOW THEM HOW MUCH STRONGER WE ARE. AND I'LL FORCE THE SURVIVOR TO SPY ON THE REST BY HOLDING HER LOVED ONE HOSTAGE." Ah, Ains. What a swell guy.
                              My Top Anime | Manga
                              My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                              My FP Reviews | Twitter
                              FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...