Darling in the FranXX Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Episode 18

I guess they can't let these children have too much premarital sex, so they get hitched as quickly as possible, as well. Or at least they try to, but the men upstairs are not happy with their little puppets getting into babymaking and vows on their own. I wonder if they gave Kokoro some emergency contraception while they were removing their memories of each other. It's possible that they sterilize the kids as soon as they're fertile. I'd say I'm thinking too much into it, but given the subject matter of late, I can't be so sure.

Nice to see Ikuno get to make her confession, even if I knew she wasn't going to get anywhere with it, and the reason she immediately gives for her feelings is rather silly.

Let's see what kind of hell these kids and this world in general are in for next. If these evil adults are so concerned about the kids not gaining any humanity, you'd think they'd have offered even less freedom long ago, and possibly even do this whole squad in at this point. The Nines seem to be their ideal subjects. Whatever they did with them is probably the path they should be taking. If, you know, they want their villainous dystopia. For the sake of a story that human beings with emotion can appreciate, I suppose that's not really an option.
    My Top Anime | Manga
    My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
    My FP Reviews | Twitter
    FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 19

Fate is cruel more often than not.

This episode is one long history lesson as Dr. FranXX had been through quite a lot of grief to get to where he is, and he's passing that grief to the children he has been creating. Everything changed when Karina Milsa and many other humans were killed trying to get them to pilot the FranXX to fight back against the klaxosaurs, all while he was intrigued by the klaxosaur princess. And as such, these children were created to be pilots and nothing else. It's a cruel world that he created, but it's either that or extinction.
      MyAnimeList | Avatar: Nanako Yukishiro, Senryu Girl
      Watching: Stellvia, Baki, Toonami Stuff
      Simulcasts: FTL, TOA-I, TSL, SAO, KTF, CQK, KMF, DAL, TSH, PNL, More TBD
      The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 19

Well we finally get most of the history of how the world came to its current state. Still some definite questions to be answers, particularly around the klaxosaurs, but we still have a few more episodes to cover that and resolve as much as can be resolved at this point. Hard to imagine this world going back to one that could be looked at as anything but post-apocalyptic or a dystopia, but I'm sure at least our kids will be the first to get to repopulating it! Yeah... I'm still not sure I can accept any of the messages this series has been trying to preach over the past several episodes, but at least this one gave a lot more background to the story we've been left mostly in the dark from, so it was certainly one of the most engaging for that reason alone.
        My Top Anime | Manga
        My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
        My FP Reviews | Twitter
        FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

And it's another special episode today, only four episodes after the previous special. It's a good thing that the second season of Fate/Extra will take its timeslot next season as that pushes the finale back to the first week of July.
          The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Episode 20

Fighting klaxosaurs with klaxosaurs.

Damn, this world just continues to be so messed up. I had a feeling that the higher-ups were the true enemies and not the klaxosuars, and that was confirmed as the one that caused the klaxosaurs to "invade" the planet are the VIRMs as the klaxosaurs were taking refuge from a greater evil. And not to mention, the masked men in the council are also from that race putting them in a position of power to manipulate those kids for their agenda. All this time, these kids were using klaxosaurs to defeat klaxosaurs as Strelizia and the other mechas were created from the energy left behind by klaxosaurs, which are creations of the klaxo sapiens for which the princess is the last of. And now, the planet is about to go boom as a war between the klaxosaurs and the VIRMs has erupted. Things sure did get out of hand quickly once the truth got out, all while the princess had a legitimate reason to be pissed off at humanity.

Comment

Re: Episode 20

I didn't mention this last time since the whole "history of the world" episode was highly intriguing to me no matter how derivative it was, but damn, they're just going all out with the Evangelion ripoffs now, aren't they? It has been a constant in this series since the beginning, but that episode was even more extreme than most, and this one blows it out of the water, most in imagery and plot.

And hey, turns out the Anti-Spirals are the true enemy! Now to team up with the klaxos and take down Papa and pals.
              My Top Anime | Manga
              My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
              My FP Reviews | Twitter
              FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 21

Fight to live, don't live to fight.

Zero-Two made quite the bold move there and as a result, Strelizia has evolved. It's such a tragedy what happened with the klaxosaurs as they used to live peacefully with the humans until those VIRM bastards came and wiped them out and manipulating those humans to think that they are the enemy. It took a lot of friendship and a sacrifice by Dr. FranXX so that Zero-Two can sync up with Hiro again and turn the tide of the battle. The bomb has been neutralized and the VIRMs are gone, for now. But an even bigger threat looms with an even bigger VIRM force coming and Zero-Two just isn't feeling well seeing that she overexerted herself in her condition. That goes to show just how badass Zero-Two is, and how much these kids haven't really been living.

Comment

Re: Episode 21

Okay, this is even more Gurren Lagann than I expected from the previous episode. Clearly just Evangelion wasn't enough. They'll definitely need to rely on Gurren Lagann logic to conjure up any sort of happy ending after all of this.
                  My Top Anime | Manga
                  My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                  My FP Reviews | Twitter
                  FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 22

Reaching for the stars.

While the enemy was repelled and the planet is saved, living conditions are pretty dire there as there's limited food supplies and the soil quality is so bad that they can't start a farm. On top of that, Kokoro has become pregnant rendering her unable to pilot the FranXX anymore, and while Zero-Two's body is still there, her mind is not as it's with the Strelizia fighting the VIRMs in space. So Hiro made the tough decision to go follow her in space, and after some initial resistance, his comrades made peace with the decision and decided to support them. Heck, even the NInes are lending a hand as well. This episode was all about soul searching as the situation just brought the worst out of these guys, but they made their decision with confidence. And now, it's off to the final battle to decide the future of the universe once and for all.

Comment

Re: Episode 22

Interesting that we got this in between big battle pieces. This is the kind of thing I was wondering about for after the final battle is over, but I didn't really think it would get a full episode dedicated to it either way. I suppose that would only be feasible before the final battle, so the climax is nicely placed and the series goes out with a bang, but it's not like they really reached a long-term solution here anyway. I guess if they go into all that detail now, they can just bring it up at the end and state their solution instead of using up this much time then.
                      My Top Anime | Manga
                      My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                      My FP Reviews | Twitter
                      FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 23

Destiny in space.

That was quite intense and action-packed there, and it's great to see everybody coming together like that seeing that after all, Hiro and Zero-Two are the key to keeping the peace. The action is simply amazing, all while the buildup allowed things to really leave its mark. One more episode left to go as Hiro and Zero-Two put a stop to this war, but going on what probably amounts to a suicide mission to do so.

Comment

Re: Episode 23

Man this show is stupid. I really should've seen giant Zero Two in space coming at this point, but it's still silly as all hell. We did have a giant Rei and a giant Nia after all, and this is going full-on Gurren Lagann with some remnants of Evangelion lingering, especially in regards to the antagonist's goals.
                          My Top Anime | Manga
                          My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                          My FP Reviews | Twitter
                          FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 24 (Finale)

And just like that, Hiro and Zero-Two tie the knot and literally become one in body and soul to form the Jian to eradicate the VIRM (though they took out quite a lot of them, they aren't completely gone), and then disappear. While that's happening, those kids back on Earth are hard at work in returning the planet to its former glory, and all of that hard work has paid off thanks to the efforts of those kids, as well as the klaxosaurs as they are back to being the friendly invaders they were before the VIRMs manipulated them. Not much action here, but it tells a really great story at the end going to show that it's about the healing from war, and it came together very nicely. Everybody is following their lead, and the planet is back to its former glory many years later after all that. Still, I have to wonder what became of Hiro and Zero-Two seeing that they did produce children as shown in the epilogue.

Overall, this show does everything right to make it a very entertaining show that never had a dull moment. The show is boosted by great action, incredible drama, complex characters, and plot twists that are masterfully done. Trigger really delivers with style. While this show has been great to watch, it had pacing issues as some areas really dragged out and kind of broke the momentum of the story. In all, it's a great show that really delivered on its potential.

MAL Rating: ​​​​​​

Comment

Re: Episode 24 (Finale)

So this is how we're ending Darling in the FranXX, huh? For all the talk surrounding this show, it seemed like kind of a whimper to go out on, but it made plenty of very strange choices in the final stretch to essentially make everything that came before it irrelevant. It was fine, though. I don't think it deserves as much focus as it's gotten.
                              My Top Anime | Manga
                              My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                              My FP Reviews | Twitter
                              FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...