Darling in the FranXX Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Episode 6

Last week on Mecha Sex Party we learned that unprotected naughty fun in the cock-pit can lead to a mecha-STD.

This week Hiro ignores the burning sensation and climbs back into the saddle for more, only for the mecha-STD to bring him to the brink of death! Zero-Two tries to finish by herself but it's just not the same without a partner. In the nick of time Hiro realizes that the only prescription for his fever is more cowbell--err,more mecha-sex! With the two moving in unison once again victory is achieved in an eruption of fluid.

Comment

Episode 7

Get a look at the outside world.

And now, the kids are off playing at the beach to relax after everything that happened last time. Hiro and Zero-Two are officially recognized as partners, and the kids learn about humanity as they once lived on the surface before those monstrosities came. So this is pretty much a laid-back episode where the kids are taking a much-needed break and do some self-discovery to fully understand their environment. And it's good that they didn't throw in fanservice when in other shows this would be the opportunity to capitalize on it.
      MyAnimeList | Avatar: Rikka "Lily" Isurugi, Black Fox
      Watching: Gate, Mitsuboshi Colors, Snow White with the Red Hair, Ghost Hound, Toonami Stuff
      Simulcasts: FTL, KYB, FRB, MIX, FIL, MTI, DUN, ALS, COP, DRS, IDD, FSN-LE, VLS, MMZ, GIV, HES, HDB, AKO, NHG, RST, SND, PKC
      The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 7

It's about time for a beach episode. There seems to be a weird disconnect around what romantic and sexual concepts the kids do and don't understand. Still decently compelling despite it all.
        My Top Anime | Manga
        My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
        My FP Reviews | Twitter
        FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Re: Episode 7

I love beach/pool/waterpark/onsen episodes. I enjoy the hell out of fan service. Fan Service: It's what's for life! However, this is one of the better episodes out there, as the mild fan service is integral to the plot. The fan service is very interesting here, since you're dealing with a group who has no clue what fan service is. Or kissing. Or where babies come from. Or why the guys feel the way they do watching the girls. With it morphing into an exploration of a lost Japanese town, we get some more pieces to the puzzle.

I got the feeling that this is one of those "calm before the storm" episodes, and have to wonder if we're going to start running into some character deaths soon. Which given the nature of this show means either new characters introduced, or boy/girl deaths running roughly even so that new pairs ca combine out of previous pairs. Somone beat me to the punch on this on CR's site: It looked like a lot of flags were raised in this episode. Not quite as strong as "I'll sign the life insurance policy after the mission" strong, but definitely there.

This show still has me completely hooked into its characters and the central mystery(ies) that are going on behind the scenes.
          My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
          1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
          2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
          3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

Episode 8

Boy needs girl.

Thanks to an enemy that leads to the girls suffering a wardrobe malfunction that they decide to mark their territory inside the living quarters, but with the baths on the girls side and the kitchen on the boys side that it leads to all sorts of problems. Zero-Two decides to stir things up by telling the boys they can enter the baths while the girls are still in it, and all hell breaks loose. But in the end, they all see why they need to work together and enjoy their lives seeing that they are not going to live very long. Pretty silly stuff that was, but it was all productive seeing that in this line of work, something like that is going to get them killed if it's not kept in check.
            Watching: Gate, Mitsuboshi Colors, Snow White with the Red Hair, Ghost Hound, Toonami Stuff
            Simulcasts: FTL, KYB, FRB, MIX, FIL, MTI, DUN, ALS, COP, DRS, IDD, FSN-LE, VLS, MMZ, GIV, HES, HDB, AKO, NHG, RST, SND, PKC
            The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 8

Of course this show would have an enemy with a special power that does nothing but dissolve the clothing of the girls. And so these horny kids spend the episode in a silly boys vs. girls romp that Zero Two gives no fucks about and works diligently to throw wrenches in it whenever possible. Probably the most I've liked her yet. Lesbian girl just wants to keep all the girls to herself, though.
              My Top Anime | Manga
              My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
              My FP Reviews | Twitter
              FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Re: Episode 8

Ominous vibe builds ominously...with wardrobe malfunctions.

Another good episode, handling a girls vs. boys episode intelligently, underscoring that if they can't work together, they're going to die together (not that Zero 2 thinks that's going to matter in the end). Zero 2 has a ball during this, with Hiro making strides towards trying to understand her. Whether he made any progress is too soon to tell.

We're now 1/3rd of the way through this series, which is slated for 24 episodes, so we're about due for a buildup to the end of the first cour.
                Last edited by General Hentai; 03-03-2018, 04:31 PM.
                My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
                1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
                2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and

Comment

Episode 9

Can't win alone.

This episode is all about Goro as he's in love with Ichigo. And then he gets himself into a jam helping out his comrade that recklessly charged in and taken the blow for them. While Ichigo made it out, Goro is trapped and within the klaxosaur and was going to die if he can't get out. That relationship was well-played as it made all the difference between Goro living and blowing himself up with that monster. Quite a great way to develop this relationship as those two were definitely meant for each other, and it was good to see that this was settled quickly rather than it lingering on.

Comment

Re: Episode 9

Come on, Goro. If you're going to get swallowed by an Angel, you need to take the chance for some psychoanalytical exploration. But hey, at least he gets the ball rolling on his feelings for Ichigo instead of just letting this love polygon continue to play out without anyone but the leads saying anything. Clearly Ichigo isn't going to get anywhere with Hiro, and hey, Goro is a good guy, so I'm sure she'll end up accepting her consolation prize in the end. It was nice to have some mecha action without beating us over the head with sexual imagery, even if it just means the other option when they actually involve the mecha, which is remaking Evangelion again.
                    My Top Anime | Manga
                    My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                    My FP Reviews | Twitter
                    FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 10

The kids are doing the protecting.

Here is an episode about Zorome as his ego is getting the best of him once again leading to problems across the team. So the council decides to give them awards as an excuse for getting them into the city where kids aren't allowed, and Zorome ends up getting separated from the rest of the group on the way back. There, he meets an old lady who looks pretty familiar, and the two have quite a conversation. Zorome may be an egomaniac, but at least he's willing to listen seeing that the old lady got him to think about life in a different light. It will be interesting to see just who that old lady really is as she's somebody that Zorome apparently met in the past.

Comment

Re: Episode 10

As expected from the previous episode, the series is doing the "one episode per character" pattern, and this one is for Zorome. He's an annoying brat, but his story ties into larger-scale world-building and forces him to look at the world from a slightly more mature perspective, being so far removed from his ideal of an adult and starting to realize that there may be some issues with how this world operates. I suppose we'll be coming back to his connection to Plugsuit-obaasan eventually.

With the number of characters on an equal level of prominence, it will take a good chunk of the series to get through them all in this fashion. If that's the plan, they'll probably work in buildup to the final arc throughout each of their separate stories, and deliver upon that in the final stretch.
                        My Top Anime | Manga
                        My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                        My FP Reviews | Twitter
                        FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Re: Episode 10

More Pieces to the Puzzle.

There's a lot of world-building at work here. Make that ominous world-building. So, we learn that the kids are "infected", their bodies are different from the "adults" (treated with "pet mode"?) and it appears that it's impossible for them to ever grow up to live in the city, where VR seems to be the way of life, with the emotion that we get from the adults seeming to be that of pity for the kids. Their disposability seems more and more certain.

The old lady's partner: His grin looked just like Zorome's.

Par for the course, we end up with more questions than answers, with Zero Two seeming subdued throughout the episode, checking her fangs in the mirror Hiro gave her (are those new?).

The question that arises next: How is this series arranged? If we're progressing non-stop to the end, who knows what happens next? But if we're going by the usual cour system, even with shows that are multi-season, we're likely to have a 2-parter coming up for episodes 11 & 12.

Comment

Episode 11

Trading places.

And now, an episode about Mitsuru as he has a much shorter shelf life than the other pilots as the parasite has already began to manifest within him. Seeing that he got that risky injection that it's no wonder why. So in response to this, the kids are trading partners with Mitsuru and Futoshi piloting with each other's partners, and as expected things aren't going so smoothly, especially between Mitsuru and Kokoro. Kokoro almost lost it there, but Mitsuru really manned up here taking control of things to save the day. It will be interesting to see how long he will last now that a death flag as been raised for him.

Comment

Re: Episode 11

Back to the sex, with some swinging going on and some of the gay kids starting to get to experiment. Unfortunately, Dr. Franxx wasn't very progressive and so his robots enforce heteronormativity that crushes the dreams of these kids already struggling to understand sexuality in the first place, let alone their less common orientation. Mitsuru doesn't even get to try after Ikuno's failure, even though he's still carrying his torch for Hiro.
                              My Top Anime | Manga
                              My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                              My FP Reviews | Twitter
                              FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 12

Soon to be no longer human.

Poor Hiro is being drained of his humanity, and the truth about Zero-Two's partner killer reputation is explained as she drains the life forces of all of her partners to pilot that mech. This is pretty much all about Zero-Two's origins, as well as how the FranXX pilots came to be as Zero-Two used to be known and Nine-Iota and belonged to Unit 9. That unit leader is such a big jerk, but at least he does have a point. Zero-Two's demonic instincts are taking over, and Hiro is slowly turning into a demon, though at least it means he's staying alive a bit longer. Nevertheless, that was a pretty intense episode setting the stage for a lot of doom and gloom to go down.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine
                                Working...
                                X