X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Winter 2018] Darling in the FranXX Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    ダーリン・イン・ザ・フランキス

A mecha show where children are living sheltered lives long after Earth has become a wasteland. They are quite clueless about the outside world only living to pilot mechas to destroy humanity's greatest enemy.

Airs: Saturday, January 13, 2018

Studio: Trigger, A-1 Pictures

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

The story is set in the distant future. The land is ruined, and humanity establishes the mobile fort city Plantation. Pilots produced inside Plantation live in Mistilteinn, also know as the "birdcage." Children live there knowing nothing of the outside world or the freedom of the sky. Their lives consist of battling to carry out missions. Their enemies are mysterious giant lifeforms known as Kyōryū, and the children pilot robots called Franxx to face off against them. For the children, riding the Franxx proves their existence.

A boy named Hiro is called Code:016, and he was once known as a prodigy. However, he has fallen behind, and his existence seems unnecessary. Not piloting a Franxx is the same as ceasing to exist. One day, a mysterious girl known as "Zero Two" appears before him. Two horns grow out of her head.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these two easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please indicate in the first line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please quote that post (or a relevant reply to that post), or include the episode title in the first line. ("Re: Episode 1") Just make sure the episode is indicated.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Nanako Yukishiro, Senryu Girl
    Watching: Ingress, Ancient Magus' Bride, Pokemon Sun and Moon, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, DRO, CQK, RSH, AOT, BSD, FRB, OPM, KYB, FGN, SKS, MLA, SMT, HBS, KOT, MIX, WNL, KMA, FIL, IDM, ISQ, SRG, STW
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Misery knows company.

Hiro is a disgraced pilot whose partner decided to quit, and then subsequently got killed by one of those beasts. Just when it looked like he was a dead man walking, in comes Zero-Two, who happens to be in the same situation as he is, and the two form a partnership to pilot the FranXX. Their first encounter was quite awkward playing that perceived pervert cliche, but it was pretty clear they were meant for each other. That was a pretty tremendous way to begin this show there, and as expected out of an all-star production team, Trigger and A-1 pulled out all of the visual stops.

So while this show is one of the most anticipated of the season, I'm not going to quite call it locked in at this point. But it's darn near close to being locked up.
    Simulcasts: FTL, DRO, CQK, RSH, AOT, BSD, FRB, OPM, KYB, FGN, SKS, MLA, SMT, HBS, KOT, MIX, WNL, KMA, FIL, IDM, ISQ, SRG, STW
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
      Episode 1

Misery knows company.

Hiro is a disgraced pilot whose partner decided to quit, and then subsequently got killed by one of those beasts. Just when it looked like he was a dead man walking, in comes Zero-Two, who happens to be in the same situation as he is, and the two form a partnership to pilot the FranXX. Their first encounter was quite awkward playing that perceived pervert cliche, but it was pretty clear they were meant for each other. That was a pretty tremendous way to begin this show there, and as expected out of an all-star production team, Trigger and A-1 pulled out all of the visual stops.

So while this show is one of the most anticipated of the season, I'm not going to quite call it locked in at this point. But it's darn near close to being locked up.
      Oh, no, not here. TOTALLY LOCKED UP!

So far, this has hit me stronger than any other show this season (not that I've seen them all yet). So many mysteries, interesting main leads,

Spoiler -> Papa and others being holograms?

I'm not sure what's going on here, other than that these kids are prisoners, but I want more. This show has me hooked from the get go.
      My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
      1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
      2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
      3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

Re: Episode 1

Took me a second to realize the source of their "names" ("hi-ro" = "1-6", "na-o-mi" = "7-0-3", etc.). I always like little touches like that.

Pretty spectacular mecha action visuals by some studios well-equipped for it, and an intriguing enough premise to dig more into. It looks quite a bit like Star Driver, which reminds me that mecha shows can look pretty fancy at first but really fail on the storytelling, but we'll see.
        My Top Anime | Manga
        My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
        My FP Reviews | Twitter
        FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 2

Not on the same page.

While Hiro and Zero-Two seem to be getting along, the rest of kids aren't so convinced seeing that she is not part of the squad after all. So after training, Hiro has a mock battle with Ichigo as his partner, but the FranXX just refuses to move as those two are not in sync with each other. So it took a kiss like what Hiro and Zero-Two did, and they were able to make a comeback. That just goes to show how important it is to connect with each other seeing that these machines just won't move without the partners being in sync.

So with that, there was never any question that this show would make the cut, and while I wanted to make sure it continues to capitalize on its strong start before locking it in, and it did.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

Wow, they really managed to make an entire cast with number pun names. Impressive.

While the mecha designs have more in common with the likes of Star Driver or any of the several mecha anime with particularly anthropomorphic mecha, everything else about this show is very much "Let's make Eva again, but make everything way more of a sexual metaphor." Eva had plenty of material in that vein, but this has a very specific goal to make that the focus at all times. And hey, plenty of stuff has ripped off Eva even more blatantly than this, so I'm not going to fault it too hard just for that.
            My Top Anime | Manga
            My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
            My FP Reviews | Twitter
            FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Originally posted by GingaDaiuchuu View Post
              Re: Episode 2

Wow, they really managed to make an entire cast with number pun names. Impressive.

While the mecha designs have more in common with the likes of Star Driver or any of the several mecha anime with particularly anthropomorphic mecha, everything else about this show is very much "Let's make Eva again, but make everything way more of a sexual metaphor." Eva had plenty of material in that vein, but this has a very specific goal to make that the focus at all times. And hey, plenty of stuff has ripped off Eva even more blatantly than this, so I'm not going to fault it too hard just for that.
              I hadn't noticed any sexual subtext. It's perfectly innocent that fighting tech-monsters consists of the young woman assuming a doggy-style position in front of her co-pilot, after which they "connect" with a moan or two, then the young man moves his lever vigorously. Nope, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Comment

Episode 3

Strength in numbers.

So Hiro gave everybody their names much in the same way Poe gave Finn his name in The Force Awakens as everybody is just a number, and dying would make them just a statistic. Seeing that Hiro has no hope in piloting with anybody other than Zero-Two that pretty much they have no choice but to pair those two up. However, the trust just isn't there with the higher-ups, and they soon realize first-hand why when Mitsuru goes instead. Zero-Two has a reputation as a partner-killer after all, and Strelizia doesn't operate like the other machines, which is why not just anybody can pilot it.

Comment

Re: Episode 3

You know, if it weren't for the stupidly oversexed mecha action, this show would probably have it made. Sure, the characters may not be that developed yet, but there are some very well-executed sequences in the downtime that I wish I could take more seriously until it's interrupted by those kids fucking inside robots. Oh well, I guess it's still one of the better new shows this season that isn't a sequel and we actually get a simulcast on time for. That's not saying much this season.
                  My Top Anime | Manga
                  My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                  My FP Reviews | Twitter
                  FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 4

Let's ride together.

So that's what was meant when Zero-Two was called the partner killer as Mitsuru felt as if she was out to kill him, an experience quite different than what Hiro went through. Of course, Hiro just isn't afraid of all that as it's his last hope of being useful and he might as well be dead anyway if he was going to be useless. While Hiro believes in her, the higher-ups don't have the same confidence there, so of course they are going to try and stop those two from getting on the battlefield together, but willpower wins out in the end once again. A predictable turn of events that was where willpower silences those critics, but nevertheless it was important to establish the chemistry between Hiro and Zero-Two early on.

Comment

Re: Episode 4

Literally every line of their exchange once they got into the robot was just pure pillow talk. Ah, this show. It just keeps getting more extreme.
                      My Top Anime | Manga
                      My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                      My FP Reviews | Twitter
                      FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 5

It's his choice to ride.

No action this time, but nevertheless there's a lot of drama going on as Hiro's comrades are trying to look out for him as he's feeling the effects of riding Strezilia with Zero-Two, and it's no kidding that she's known as the partner killer. The reason being is that blue thing growing on his chest as Hiro is trying to tough it out. Despite the warnings and Ichigo letting Zero-Two know about how she feels about this whole setup, Hiro is still moving forward with this partnership. It will be interesting to see how Hiro's plot armor is going to evolve seeing that he's trying to do is insane, and he's at the point where all of Zero-Two's previous partners start to kick the bucket.

Comment

Re: Episode 5

Guys, you're not supposed to acknowledge the "kissing" allegory directly. Next you'll be questioning the significance of all the mecha-piloting practices and why they make you feel funny things where your legs meet.

A lot more world-building here rather than just jumping into another standard battle, so I appreciate that. On the other hand, it's hard to get behind Hiro's decision whatsoever. Zero Two is awful and Hiro is an idiot. There's really nothing else to it at this point, although the series will certainly redeem her and make it all worthwhile later on. And yeah, they're saving the world or whatever. But fuck their world, really.
                          My Top Anime | Manga
                          My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                          My FP Reviews | Twitter
                          FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 6

Third time's the harm, and the charm.

It was quite obvious that plot armor was going to keep Hiro alive after piloting Strezilia for a third time, and it was a matter of how exactly things would play out after doing something that has resulted in death for everybody who had done it before him. Hiro was a dead man walking there, but thanks to his commitment to Zero-Two, Strezilia evolved just when it looked like he was a goner with that klaxosaur being one of the juggernauts, and then that parasite disappears just like that. Quite a turnaround that was as there was no way Hiro was going to let Zero-Two go at it alone again.

Comment

Episode 6

That was quite the packed episode. This show may be packed with metaphors so unsubtle I almost struggle to call them metaphors, making it impossible to take seriously most of the time, but it can still be a solid mecha action romp when it puts its mind to it. I'm probably slightly desensitized to it at this point anyway, but this episode seemed the lightest on the blatant sexual elements in a while, so that definitely helped. Granted, it ultimately used even more Evangelion imagery in the end; those wings at the end are crossing a line that's not too far from RahXephon level. Okay, that might be a bit harsh. Still... I'm about ready to just call that observer at the end "Kaworu."
                              My Top Anime | Manga
                              My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                              My FP Reviews | Twitter
                              FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...