X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Winter 2018] Basilisk: The Ouka Ninja Scrolls Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    バジリスク ~桜花忍法帖~

The sequel set ten years after the events of Basilisk in a much more peaceful era after the bloody war between clans as ninjas begin to fade away.

Airs: Monday, January 8, 2018

Studio: Seven Arcs

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

The battle for succession that continued for three generations of shogun in the Keichou era culminated in a gruesome battle of ninja arts between the Kouga and Iga clans. Amidst a rain of flower petals, a man and woman who had decided to live for love were separated once again, beautiful in their transience.

However, it is said that by the hand of Hattori Hanzo's adopted son, Kyouhachirou, these two flower petals, whether temporarily or permanently, were given life again and left two mementos behind. These children, born with a destiny of their own, were called Kouga Hachirou and Iga Hibiki. The former had eyes like his father's, and the latter had eyes like her mother's.

It is now the Kan'ei era, and the land is at peace. As ninjas begin to disappear into the shadows after being deemed unnecessary, The Kouga and Iga clans ask a favor of Hachirou and Hibiki in hopes of reinforcing their foundations.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these two easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please indicate in the first line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please quote that post (or a relevant reply to that post), or include the episode title in the first line. ("Re: Episode 1") Just make sure the episode is indicated.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Rikka "Lily" Isurugi, Black Fox
    Watching: Gate, Mitsuboshi Colors, Snow White with the Red Hair, Ghost Hound, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, KYB, FRB, MIX, FIL, MTI, DUN, ALS, COP, DRS, IDD, FSN-LE, VLS, MMZ, GIV, HES, HDB, AKO, NHG, RST, SND, PKC
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

There are still ninjas among us.

Well, that was pretty underwhelming there as I'm totally in the dark as to what exactly is supposed to happen. The first half is about the two leads with Hachirou undergoing training as the last Kouga standing, and getting schooled about his one-track mind. And then the second half Suruga goes out to secure a boat in the rain only to get attacked by one of the last remaining ninja whose special power is that blades avoid him naturally, and Kazuma and his squad of five had to rescue him. Not sure how these things are related as unlike the first season that got straight to the point, this one took a roundabout approach.

So with that, I'll keep going for now, but I just couldn't get into the thick of things so far. While it is a sequel, this one has a much different story as the original series wrapped up everything nicely and I didn't think there would be room for more stuff after how it ended.
    Watching: Gate, Mitsuboshi Colors, Snow White with the Red Hair, Ghost Hound, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, KYB, FRB, MIX, FIL, MTI, DUN, ALS, COP, DRS, IDD, FSN-LE, VLS, MMZ, GIV, HES, HDB, AKO, NHG, RST, SND, PKC
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Episode 2

Will the third time be the charm?

This episode is pretty much a recap of the key events from the original series, but without the usual recap episode feeling. While Gennosuke was the last man standing, he wrote that Oboro is and gave the Iga clan credit for the victory. Ogen and Danjo killed each other at the beginning as that's the first romance between enemy clans that ended in tragedy, and then there was Gennosuke and Oboro who fell in love in a time where it wouldn't be allowed. And here's to hoping that Hachirou and Hibiki don't meet the same fate. Anyway, it's good to be reminded of what happened in the original series moving forward, but still I'm just not getting into this show as it's way too lethargic for my tastes after the original series did everything right in regards to getting me engaged.

So I'll give it one more episode, but it looks like it's not going to stay. It being confirmed for two cours further hurts its cause as well.

Comment

Episode 3

Turn back the clock.

And a new enemy emerges in Joujinshuu, who is out to kill the Kouga and Iga clans. Tsuibamu goes out and singlehandedly kills off the Five Treasures, each by using their own technique against them with his time reversal jutsu. And this, things are finally set into motion as Hachirou has the power to turn antagonism against them just like Gennosuke, while Hibiki can halt any antagonism like Oboro. Once again, that was pretty underwhelming as this is not how I envisioned the sequel to be.

So with that, it's time to call it quits with this show. I tried to put up with the lethargic storytelling, but I just keep on snoozing through it as this show feels almost nothing like the original series.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
        Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
        Widgets Magazine
        Working...
        X