X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Winter 2018] Toji no Miko Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    刀使ノ巫女

A show about shrine maidens who have armed themselves with swords to fight evil monsters. And to get everybody stronger, a tournament is held between these swordswomen.

Airs: Friday, January 5, 2018

Studio: Gokumi

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

There's an evil creature called Aratama that attacks people, and a group of Miko has been exorcising those creatures using swords since olden times. Those who wear uniforms and swords are called Toji, who are officially called Tokubetsu Saishi Kitoutai (Special Ritual Maneuver Team) in the police association. They are officially approved to wield the swords by the government officials. The government has established five training schools consisting of junior and senior high levels for the female students to attend. They spend their student life normally, and use special skills with the swords when they're doing missions to protect people. In the spring, these five schools are to take part in a competition. Among the girls who train for the competition, there's a girl who's a bit more passionate than any other girls. Where would the girl with the sword aim?

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these two easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please indicate in the first line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please quote that post (or a relevant reply to that post), or include the episode title in the first line. ("Re: Episode 1") Just make sure the episode is indicated.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Fukaziroh, Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online
    Watching: Food Wars! The Second Plate, DB Super, One Piece, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: CCS, DFX, RGW, MHA, SOM, AMC, WIX, TGL, STG, FMP, SAO-G, CTH-U, CLG, UMA, GKY, LGH, TDK, D23, WOK, JOE-MB, HMR, DEL, NBS, IIZ, AKJ, AOA, FKJ
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

She's not her opponent today.

So it begins with an entire sword-fighting tournament playing out in the first episode, well almost as the final match wasn't what it was supposed to be with Kanami and Hiyori squaring off. Hiyori decides to go after the elites who organized this tournament and it became a battle royale instead, which was quickly ended with Kanami intervening. Pretty standard set of characters there with the MC being the energetic one who wants to do the right thing no matter what, and the other one being the overly serious type there. The action is good, while the characters seem interesting enough, especially Hiyori, but the way the story played out I'm not so convinced about. Hopefully it gets better seeing that the tournament just happened without really getting into the nitty gritty.

With that, I'll keep going through with the trial period before deciding if this show will stay or not.
    Simulcasts: CCS, DFX, RGW, MHA, SOM, AMC, WIX, TGL, STG, FMP, SAO-G, CTH-U, CLG, UMA, GKY, LGH, TDK, D23, WOK, JOE-MB, HMR, DEL, NBS, IIZ, AKJ, AOA, FKJ
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

I wasn't fully sold on this until near the end. It's clear they want us to ship Kanami with Hiyori. In that case, all I ask of the show is provide us with material then and please let the series end with their marriage. Don't waste what you set up!
      "So be it you have control of the world, but I will rule the universe! The power of Sword and Axe!"
      Avatar: Princess Rei of SaGa Frontier

Comment

That was a dull mess of a first episode. Clearly it didn't know how to get us into the story in one episode, so it threw everything at the wall at the expense of any part of it being effective. The premise is generic but could be executed decently, but this makes no attempt at that, instead following increasingly more rote formulas that assume you have some relationship to these characters that have just been introduced and appear very one-dimensional.
        My Top Anime | Manga
        My Collection
        My FP Reviews | Twitter
        FPR Episodes | iTunes | Twitter | Facebook

Comment

Episode 2

On the run from the enemy.

So the reason why Hiyori did what she did was because she knew that Yukari is an aradama herself, and that the schools are being controlled at the top by one of the enemy. Kanami and Hiyori were running away, and they managed to elude capture just when it looked like a sure thing after Mai figured out their location. But they just couldn't ignore an aradama attack, and Kanami did the right thing there and then try and sort things out later once the people are safe. Well, at least that was interesting to hear, but nevertheless the show just continues to be underwhelming.

So with that, I'll give it one more episode, but it doesn't look like it's going to stay, especially since it's two cours long. That said, I'm giving it another shot as it looks like this show could be worthwhile after all.

Comment

Originally posted by GingaDaiuchuu View Post

That was a dull mess of a first episode. Clearly it didn't know how to get us into the story in one episode, so it threw everything at the wall at the expense of any part of it being effective. The premise is generic but could be executed decently, but this makes no attempt at that, instead following increasingly more rote formulas that assume you have some relationship to these characters that have just been introduced and appear very one-dimensional.
            I can't agree with you line by line, but your first sentence: Much agreement.
            My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
            1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
            2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
            3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

I didn't watch it. I'm bailing. I just couldn't work up the motivation to even make it to 2 episodes. This is a 2 cour show?!? I hope it gets better, and maybe I'll come back if it does, but I fell way behind in watching and now all Amazon's Strike exclusives have escaped the double paywall; I've better things to watch.
              My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
              1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
              2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
              3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

Oh, a typical school battle anime...

or not. I feel bad for Mai, having your girlfriend dump you for another.
                Avatar: Shimarin from Laid Back Camo.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

And they blow the entire plot in an info dump.
                  Avatar: Shimarin from Laid Back Camo.

Comment

Episode 3

Put down the sword.

With Kanami and Hiyori being chased, that leads to a former Toji picking those two up and giving them a place to stay temporarily as Rui had put down her sword a long time ago. But they get tracked down, and that led to Sayaka coming in and attacking those two. While Hiyori is prepared to kill her, Kanami simply knocks the sword out of her hand and she's back to being herself. That was pretty much just like last time,except that it's Sayaka who is attacking and gets convinced that there's something amiss here. At least the story is a bit better, but still not working out.

So with that seeing how this show was on the outside looking in that I'm ready to move on from this show. The show's presentation just wasn't cutting it.

Comment

Episode 4

It's that time again. Time for me to give attention to series that this board likes to give upon too quickly or in the case of some shows never even tries. Hey I have practice talking to myself. In any case, this episode is mainly about Hiyori and Kanami facing off against Kaoru and Ellen.

Episode 5

Here we have Kaoru and Ellen congratulating Kanami and Hyori for passing. Also this is the first sign of Yomi being creepy.

Episode 6

Sayaka and Mai starts their path towards being lovers. Yes, I'm already shipping them at this point.

Episode 7

Sayaka/Mai is in full force. Also Yume is best girl because she's uh interesting.

Episode 8 -12

Not going to get into any real details here other than to say that we learn stuff. Yume is err it's not fair! Yume was my reason to watch. In any case they deal with the disc 1 final boss.

Episode 13-17

We're mostly introduced to the idea that the big bad split into three versions of herself because all they have conflicting evil plans. Various characters are trying to make most of the situation. This includes Yomi still being creepy as all can be.

Oh and there's another character we're introduced to called Ayumu and I am going to have stuff to say about her in the next post. Ie episode 18 which I want to use for catch up purposes.

Side note one of these episodes is very good if you want to see fanservice of the pink haired girl Kaoru. Hint it's episode 15. Clearly the best episode so far.
                      "So be it you have control of the world, but I will rule the universe! The power of Sword and Axe!"

Comment

Episode 18

First let me note that yes in the previous episode, they forced a situation where the cheat code had to be used on Ayumu and the other girls to save their lives. However even before that incident happened, Ayumu was willing to cheat to impress Kanami. Even if that meant fighting against Kanami.

Yes, that's a good way to impress your idol. Cheat your way to power and help ruin what she's trying to accomplish. Ayumu badly needs to be chewed out for her action. Not because I consider her trash right now, but because for her own sake it needs to be made clear she did wrong.

In any case the princesses are clearly based on the whole "See no evil, Hear no evil, speak no evil" thing. Also in case you were wondering. Yes, the princess split into 3 princesses so that way when they merge back together, we get a fanservice scene. That's actually kind of brilliant, almost.

It's clear what the end goal is. Ie we'll end up with just one princess. The only question is how soon will we get to that point, and how much time will we have left? Left both to defeat the remaining princess or convince her to be good. As well as the after math.

Final note, Nene now a stronger back story than most of the girls in this show. Granted most of the girls in this show exist to either be "beat up" or to be evil minions. So that might be the reason why.

Ok, one more thing. I think the main reason this show failed a lot of people is that with its first episode it was choosing to compact things. Take what have been a four episode arc for some shows and reduced it down to one. So for some that made them give up because the show felt rushed. Then when the show slowed down a bit, others gave up because it wasn't moving the plot fast enough.

Now to be fair some of this can be blamed on the show itself, but I feel the show ultimately faced a no win situation. Sure they could have dragged out episode 1 to 4-5 episodes to make it less of a mess, but people would have just gotten impatient including some of the people that thought it was rushed.

Heck I feel some aspects of episode 1 were rushed, but if they had dragged it out to be more coherent, I would have probably quit on the show. In any case, I'm not sure if I'll post about each remaining episode individually or in batches, but for now I am leaning towards finishing the show. Be it week by week or by a mararathon of the remaining episodes.

Comment

Re: Episode 18

Originally posted by Momoka Kibi View Post
                          Episode 6

Sayaka and Mai starts their path towards being lovers. Yes, I'm already shipping them at this point.

Episode 7

Sayaka/Mai is in full force.
                          Still going full force as of the latest episode too. There's no resisting Mai's cookies for Sayaka. I rather liked Sayaka's bonding with Kaoru in episode 15 too, though. She's got to be one of the sweetest deep down after Kanami and Mai stood up for her early on.

Comment

Episode 19

Ayumu celebrates being a cheater.

Episode 20

They ship Princess err Ichikishima with Yukari. Hiyori becomes one with the princess near the end.

Episode 21

Wow this episode. Hiyori becomes an Evil God ready to take on a huge burden. Kanami is apparently so strong that Hiyori leveling up to Evil God is only enough to equal her or not. So we get the whole "I'll share the burden" scene. Yep Kanami is in love. There's no way around it.

In any case, thanks to the next few scenes the remaining episodes will be hard to watch. Sure they might pull that, but even if they do, it will still be an experience until then. I'm not even sure what to say anymore.

Comment

Episode 22

Even the villain knows they're a couple.

Episode 23

The way Hime fights in the battle seems familiar. Ie the whole smacking others away while waiting part. In any case, the conclusion seems to be "She's lonely" Will be interesting to see how 24 handles things.

The speech Hiyori gave includig admitting to not being able to save Tagitsu was nice. Yeah, destroying someone is often the easy part. Saving them can be the real challenge.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X