X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Winter 2018] Record of Grancrest War Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    グランクレスト戦記

From the creator of Record of the Lodoss War, a fantasy show set in a place where wars and chaos are the way of life, and two adventurers who start a movement to exterminate all of that to reform this corrupted land.

Airs: Friday, January 5, 2018

Studio: A-1 Pictures

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

On a continent ruled by chaos, the Lords have the power of a holy seal that can calm the chaos and protect the people. However, before anyone realizes it, the rulers cast aside their creed of purifying the chaos, and instead start to fight each other for each other's holy seals to gain dominion over one another. Siluca, an isolated mage who scorns the Lords for abandoning their creed, and a wandering knight named Theo, who is on a journey to train to one day liberate his hometown, make an everlasting oath to work together to reform this continent dominated by wars and chaos.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these two easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please indicate in the first line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please quote that post (or a relevant reply to that post), or include the episode title in the first line. ("Re: Episode 1") Just make sure the episode is indicated.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Violet Evergarden of KyoAni's Violet Evergarden
    Watching: Kyo Kara Maoh, Pokemon Sun and Moon, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, FRB, KYB, FGN, MIX, FIL
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Let's make a contract.

So it begins with how the land was plunged into chaos, and it happened during a wedding that was supposed to secure longterm peace until the demon lord rose up and all hell broke loose. And then Theo and Siluca make a contract with each other to embark on a quest to rid the world of chaos, starting with a corrupt lord of the house as Mesto was running amok, and Theo's party showed that guy it's better to leave while he still can. Pretty solid way to begin this show that's from the same guy who did Lodoss War.

As usual, the trial procedure applies and I'll have a better assessment as to where it stands on my watchlist after watching some more premieres, but so far it's looking good.
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

That sure was a set up episode and sadly not much else. I might give it another episode to see how things go but it will have to prove itself then.
      "So be it you have control of the world, but I will rule the universe! The power of Sword and Axe!"
      Avatar: Tatyana of Romancing SaGa 3

Comment

So yeah, it's another D&D-style anime from the Lodoss guy, but it just feels so painfully uninspired. Going through the motions of RPG fare but stopping short of injecting any creativity or original ideas. There's enough there that something like this isn't so novel in this day and age without anything to set it apart except an apparent pedigree and an advantage in marketing to D&D addicts who just want their anime to reflect that experience as closely as possible.
        My Top Anime | Manga
        My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
        My FP Reviews | Twitter
        FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 2

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

So after securing his first territorial right, Theo gets some more comrades as he's out to change the land for the better. For that, one of Siluca's disciples, Aishela, and her cat Balgary join, all while this small band manages to take down an army of invaders. In the end, Theo's group wins the battle and gains Lassic's respect that he decides it's better to serve him than to lead a place that opposes him. Aishela sure has some interesting moves there kissing that guy on the battlefield as enemies. So with that, Theo wins his first battle in his new role, but there are many bigger ones ahead.

Well, while I like what I have seen so far, it's not must-see stuff. So the trial continues as I'm not sure which way I'm going at the moment.

Comment

Re: Episode 1 & 2

So far, so good. Not great, but good. I am a vertifiable sucker for D & D, do take that into account. The noble cat, heh, nice touch. I enjoyed the first episode, again, good, not great, and Episode 2 builds on it. So far, the weakest link is the MC. The heroine, Siluca, and her warrior friend, an "artist" introduced this episode, are both a real pleasure, however. I pretty sure I'm along for the ride on this one.

My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
            1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
            2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
            3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

"This revealing outfit sucks!"
              "Will I change out of it? Nope."
              Avatar: Shimarin from Laid Back Camo.

Comment

Episode 3

Raise the flag.

Now that Theo has established his new country that he's now given the family name Cornaro in honor of the family back in his homeland that stood up against corruption. So there's some more action here as Siluca and company battle against a fire dragon, and she casts a strong water spell to take down that lizard. Then Theo's conquest continues taking out another army and making allies with the townspeople he saves. Pretty much, this is just more action as it's building up Theo's character and vision as it's just an extension of what happened last time.

So I'll give this show one more episode. Having learned that this is going to be two cours is something to consider seeing that there are a number of shows this season that will continue into the spring creating a logjam next season. Anyway, I'll wait and see as this is one of the bubble shows this season as while I like what I have been seeing, I definitely have mixed feelings.

Comment

Re: Episode 3

This show remains good, but not nearly as strong as I wish it would be. Theo got some character development, not enough, but it's a start. It's just not a tightly enough woven story to be fully satisfying, and there's not enough meat on all the characters, although Siluca comes closest to being fully formed. I'm still enjoying it, but it only suffers in comparison to a lot of other D&D shows...and makes me wonder what Konosuba could do satirizing this show.
                  My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
                  1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
                  2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
                  3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

Episode 4

Just be a knight.

Just when things were going well, Theo finally suffers a setback as he lost some men, while Aleisha was nearly killed with a blindside attack. Not to mention, the country they are trying to become allies with wants Theo dead as one of the conditions. While being a lord is something that could go a long way, being a knight is more fitting for Theo seeing Siluca wouldn't have been at his service otherwise. They had it too easy last time, and at some point things are going to get bumpy.

So with that, the trial period has ended, and I think I'll give this an extended trial seeing that it looks like things are going to start to pick up, but I'm still not on-board with the way the show has presented itself up to this point. Seeing that it started a week earlier that I'll give it another episode before making the final decision.

Comment

Episode 5

Adding a pack of wolves.

Theo gains more allies as a werewolf pack joins the party, all while what figures to be one of the main antagonists finally appears. This black witch Yana working for the vampire king kidnaps two werewolf girls and gets their mother to fight that witch. But of course, Theo comes and it just so happens that the vampire king was just using Yana as an expendable pawn to turn the tide. While those two girls are saved, the mother is dead. Quite a bittersweet moment that was as while Theo gained a bunch of strong allies, their leader bit the dust. That's more of the same, though now the forces behind everything that's wrong about the land are starting to show up., so I'm hoping that things are changing now that Theo has a sizable alliance.

So I'll give it the full extended trial here as after this I'm still not sure which way I'll go with this show. Either this or Beatless will be added to the watchlist, and I'll give both shows one more episode before making that decision as these are two-cour shows that I don't want clogging things up for what figures to be a loaded spring season.

Comment

Episode 6

Welcome to the Grancrest ballroom.

It starts out with a ball to celebrate Margaret's birthday. That was quite a passionate dance there with Villar and Margaret. But of course, the good times just won't last as it's back to war again when Milza singlehandedly takes out the lord and his soldiers and seizes his crest. That just goes to show how extremely dangerous Milza is, and his differing philosophy sets the stage for a lot of conflict down the line. Pretty solid episode here, one that didn't feel rushed like the previous ones.

So with that, I'm at a point where I need to make a decision for the final spot on my watchlist as it's either this show or Beatless that will make it. Both shows are underwhelming in their own ways, but they both are full of intrigue. In any case, I'm not ready to say just yet, but shortly I will make my decision.

Comment

Episode 7

There are some things in life that are more important.

Once again, Theo comes through, this time with words getting Ladvan to join the Union rather than the Alliance. Certainly, being reminded that the citizens matter more than maintaining relationship with some bastards higher up is quite an effective way to get somebody with his kind of mindset to join forces. And then comes the peace conference where it becomes clear that the Rossini clan needs to be expelled from the union. While that was mostly a lackluster episode, especially the conference where it feels like an excuse to hold another ball, the last part was really something with assassins trying to kill Theo, but in comes Siluca's cat friend to save the day.

Comment

Episode 8

Be the queen.

Alexis and Marrine have tied the knot after going through a lot. They were always meant for each other, but it just wasn't easy to become a couple in the world they live in. And then the second half was all about the Union deciding that Lord Rossini must go after the attack on Alexis, and while Alexis wants Villar to lead the Union, he declines worrying about a battle between grandchildren, so Alexis takes charge. And things get dicey in that while Alexis wants to make peace with the Alliance, Marrine wants to go with war with them. That was pretty much all about the political side of things and everybody realizes just how tough it is to run the Union when there's way too much disagreement.

Comment

Episode 9

Princess on the warpath.

Just when it looked like things could be settled peacefully, Marrine takes matters into her own hands and attacks Starck, totally annihilating that place, all while her army used toxic gas to take down everybody. And then Milza comes in and does a lot of damage himself. That was just brutal what went down there going to show that while she and Alexis have the same objective, their approaches are quite different.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X