Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Episode 7

Set sail for Antarctica.

The girls finally make it to Australia where their journey to Antarctica begins, but before they can set off there's quite a lot of prep work that needs to be done. For the girls, their job is to stock up on supplies since there's no place to do so once they leave Fremantle. And then the previous expedition that Takako was part of is explained as things went wrong there and the end result was that sponsorship was withdrawn. Even so, everybody is determined to make the trip despite a rather empty ship. And Shirase, it's kind of late to be asking that question as to whether or not it is alright to make the trip. Pretty much, this is buildup for the big adventure that lies ahead, and the girls are showing enthusiasm for it, especially Yuzuki as she is doing this for a job.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Ochaco Uraraka, My Hero Academia
    Watching: Chihayafuru 2, Perfect Insider, DB Super, One Piece, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: MHA, STG, AOT, FRE, OVL, HBD, HSB, BNF, 7SR, GBL, HSL, AAB, DKD, RSL, HDL, 100, ADH, YUY, HRV, EOC, IIZ, NBS, AKJ, IDM-CGG, 1RM
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 7

I'd definitely be Shirase as far as being embarrassed about all the things they have to do for the videos. I have great respect for Yuzuki; she's such a pro. It was a little tough to see Shirase so uncomfortable, especially when she's obviously the most passionate about the trip, so it was good to end the episode with her letting it all out. There's a lot of fun to be had with this group.
      My Top Anime | Manga
      My Collection
      My FP Reviews | Twitter
      FPR Episodes | iTunes | Twitter | Facebook

Comment

Re: Episode 7

Either Shirase is really good at hiding the fact she already knows everything that happened to her mom, or she's completely oblivious of the depressing aura surrounding the entire ship when it was her turn for an introduction.

If the former, I can see how she wants to conceal this 'secret' from mostly everyone (since only a few, certain individuals would've, or should have informed her already), as a means to find out the truth for herself, and to reconcile any doubts/denial she's had over the years. Nobody can convince her of the truth she might be denying, so as stubborn as she is, she's avoiding having her friends pity her. She needs to confirm for herself, with her own eyes, that what she's been told, is possibly the reality that fated her mom; but she also doesn't want other peoples' sympathy in encouraging her to do so, thus her seemingly, purposeful front and acting like no one else is aware of her situation.

If she's really oblivious of the ship's awkward silence and doesn't realize people know the story behind her mom, then it'll be interesting to see how the drama will unfold, even though it'll be a bit cliched with the way the revelation will be made. Though I'll be pleased if it's really the former, because her introduction was preceded with an expression indicative of pain she didn't want to publicize. It seemed like she was fighting back would-be tears, not from embarrassment, but to avoid breaking down and revealing the truth lingering in her thoughts. So she bs'ed her way out with a rally cry to continue to hide her pent up emotions until the moment is right. We'll see, because as intriguing as all the characters have been, Shirase might actually be the most enigmatic one due to the circumstances she's in.

Comment

Episode 8

Navigating through treacherous waters.

The expedition team has set sail for Antarctica, and the girls quickly find out just how rough the trip is to Antarctica, starting with the ride as the ship is navigating through some rough seas with the currents unobstructed by the continents making for a lot of ocean waves. The girls are lacking in stamina seeing that they wipe themselves out during exercise periods, and even while sleeping they can't get any rest as they become seasick. But in the end, they got used to it all. Pretty nice way to put the girls to the test there as after all, they didn't have to make the trip, but they chose to do it.
          Simulcasts: MHA, STG, AOT, FRE, OVL, HBD, HSB, BNF, 7SR, GBL, HSL, AAB, DKD, RSL, HDL, 100, ADH, YUY, HRV, EOC, IIZ, NBS, AKJ, IDM-CGG, 1RM
          The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 8

Loved the girls' experience on the ship so far :D ...reminds me of how I felt that way on the ships I've been on. Timing is everything when you're dealing with the waves, and meclizine works only so much, as evident of the girls' nausea. And Yumiko is so right about land sickness too

Of course there's a bit of suspension of disbelief seeing how the girls didn't fall off into the ocean after being blasted by the waves, but nevertheless still entertaining. And Hinata being the only one without warm attire for many scenes was pretty amusing. I suppose that's normal for her, having been in track/running, but the disparity between the rest looks funny (though not the first time as she's also not cold in the OP). :D

Looks like the flowers that were previously shown were indeed for Takako, as the last cut shows Gin carrying a bouquet. With this undoubtedly being a sign of Takako's apparent death, I'm curious whether the truth will be revealed sooner than later. And just as interestingly, how the other girls will react to finally knowing the details, whether Shirase discloses everything, or whether she's prepared to finally accept the truth that awaits her.
            Last edited by Sensuifu; 02-20-2018, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Re: Episode 8

I would've preferred a bit more variety to the girls' struggles with the physical training, but I'm okay with what we got overall. Yuzuki was the most defeated throughout this episode, but she's been so on top of everything else that I don't mind her running into her weaknesses more here. Definitely a good display of the troubles of sea travel for all the girls, with an uplifting catharsis. Sure, the right attitude fixes everything a little too conveniently, but it's a fun watch.
              My Top Anime | Manga
              My Collection
              My FP Reviews | Twitter

Comment

Episode 9

Breaking the ice on the past.

Gin's past with Takako and Shirase is explained here as she feels guilty for leaving Takako behind to let her die, and had a hard time bringing herself to letting Shirase know about it. While Shirase realizes that her mother is dead, she refuses to believe it and hence, sets out to Antarctica seeing that she's not coming back to Japan, so Shirase comes over there instead in hopes she could see her again. So with that, the ship arrives in Antarctica, and it is plowing through a bunch of ice. Pretty interesting story that was. Next time, Yuzuki's mother has something to say as she just got a message from her, and whatever it is, it probably isn't good.

Comment

Re: Episode 9

I suspected Shirase was hiding the fact, but nice to see how it unfolded pretty seamlessly and without unnecessary histrionics. She wants closure, and the most comfortable way of doing so was to keep her motive on the side as not to bring down the rest. She's really a tough cookie, and amusingly fitting how she takes it in stride and calls out everyone who doubted her, which was dumbfounding to the rest until they realized she wasn't exactly the only one ostracized about the goal to reach Antarctica.

Almost seems like Shirase is as close to Gin as she was to her mom; wouldn't surprise me if they end up having a gag where Gin will be called 'Aunty'.

Interesting social commentary about the past regarding Japan's involvement in Antarctica post-WWII, though Yuzuki didn't seem to accepting of it. Though more interestingly is how countries were allotted specific areas...which is probably a whole other can of worms considering the geopolitical and socioeconomic influences that surround the continent.

Comment

Re: Episode 9

Excellent Shirase episode. She really is the rightful protagonist; I can't even remember why I'm supposed to care about Kimari anymore. At first I thought Whatshisface was confessing his love to her, but I was hoping we wouldn't have to deal with an adult crushing on one of our high school girls. I don't know anyone's age, but based on Gin looking the same age as when Shirase was in kindergarten, I would think she's a good bit older. Maybe Whatshisface just looks young for his age; he honestly looks more like he could be in high school himself, but obviously that's not the case. He served a good purpose of bringing Shirase and Gin together, though. I'm looking forward to seeing their interactions throughout the rest of the series. Getting to see so much of Takako in flashbacks was pretty significant as well. Perhaps the most important moment was the payoff for all of Shirase's hard work over all these years, her vindication after being doubted and mocked the entire time. And with Yuzuki releasing this material to the world, some of them might see just how wrong they were.
                    Last edited by GingaDaiuchuu; 03-06-2018, 06:32 PM.
                    My Top Anime | Manga
                    My Collection
                    My FP Reviews | Twitter

Comment

Episode 10

This calls for a celebration.

The end of the last episode hinted that this would be an episode about Yuzuki, and that message from her mother is for a new role in a drama. It also happens to be Christmas, all while Yuzuki's birthday passed, and she's not exactly in the same friend zone as everybody else, but nevertheless the other girls are doing everything they can to make her a part of that friendship circle. That was quite a great way to celebrate Christmas, Yuzuki's late birthday, and their arrival at Syowa Station as everybody sure got into a festive mood. Of course, they now have a lot of work ahead of them seeing that they need to be self-sufficient.
                      Last edited by Buckeye; 03-06-2018, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Re: Episode 10

This is absolutely Shirase's story, but in terms of overall character, I think Yuzuki is still my girl. Sure, she's a celebrity, but she just wants friends, and I have plenty of sympathy and empathy for that desire. Hopefully she can truly feel like just as essential a part of the group as everyone else.

Good material from the rest as well. Kimari's best moment was just through Yuzuki recalling how annoying she is as a roommate, but it was still quite hilarious, especially imaging Yuzuki's portrayal of it. Shirase loves her penguins a little too much. And Hinata can pick on poor Yuzuki and still be plenty likable.
                        My Top Anime | Manga
                        My Collection
                        My FP Reviews | Twitter

Comment

Re: Episode 10

So a belated Happy Birthday to Yuzuki. Nice that the girls got together to celebrate it in a more appropriate setting. Curious if her mom ever sent a birthday greeting though. Seems like she didn't and perhaps reason why Yuzuki kind of looked apathetic over landing the role (probably expecting a birthday text at the least; unless she did and we werern't shown any delayed reception).

Heh, though not exactly the endless sun, I know that feeling of insomnia all to well to be in places like that...messing with circadian rhythm, etc. Being outside (way past 'normal' sunset hours) while it's still bright is an interesting experience.

Hoping to see more details about Hinata's story...though it appears we might considering the post-credit scene hints her track team.

Comment

Episode 11

Not letting old acquaintances be forgotten.

The new year is coming, and the focus here is on Hinata as she has had it rough and it was no wonder why she wanted to make the journey to Antarctica. She used to be on the school's track team, and she was bullied leading her to quit the team and drop out of school. They sent a message wanting to apologize, but what really got Hinata all worked up is that Shirase read her message. It turns out it was for the better since she really gave those bullies a piece of her mind as she's not exactly the one who would let things stand idly by. Anyway, they find just how harsh the place is, especially Kimari when her face gets tanned, but at least it's a challenge with everybody's support, and that sure was great to see these girls pulling their weight in making that marker there. And seeing that the sun never sets during that time of year that ringing in the new year under the sun sure is something those girls will never forget.

Comment

Re: Episode 11

Yay, got lots of Hinata's story and then some, thanks to that wonderful calling out by Shirase. This might've been the best episode so far, seeing how all the emotions pent up by both Shirase and Hinata came out in amusing splendor. Now it's going to be difficult not to encounter anything related to shipping Hinata x Shirase. :D

Comment

Re: Episode 11

Even a Hinata episode just continues to drive home how great Shirase is, this time particularly as a friend to Hinata. Hinata is a sympathetic character but can be too uncomfortable to speak her true feelings if they might cause people to pity her, so it takes a good friend like Shirase to force it out of her and do her best to help. Hinata may not have been struggling with thinking of herself as friends with the others like Yuzuki did until last time, but this definitely does similar good for her sense of camaraderie within the group, and maybe she'll start to open up a little more and realize that everyone is just doing what they feel is right for everyone. Man, Kimari better get something special in the end here, because she is quite the weak protagonist at this point.
                                My Top Anime | Manga
                                My Collection
                                My FP Reviews | Twitter

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine