X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Fall 2017] Children of the Whales Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    クジラの子らは砂上に歌う

A show about children living on an island sailing on the sandy seas who are doomed to an early grave because of their powers. But everything changes with a fateful encounter and they realize that something quite big is about to go down.

Airs: Sunday, October 8, 2017

Studio: J.C. Staff

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Netflix

Chakuro is the 14-year-old archivist of the Mud Whale, a nigh-utopian island that floats across the surface of an endless sea of sand. Nine in ten of the inhabitants of the Mud Whale have been blessed and cursed with the ability to use saimia, special powers that doom them to an early death.

Chakuro and his friends have stumbled across other islands, but they have never met, seen, or even heard of a human who wasn't from their own. One day, Chakuro visits an island as large as the Mud Whale and meets a girl who will change his destiny.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these two easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please indicate in the first line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please quote that post (or a relevant reply to that post), or include the episode title in the first line. ("Re: Episode 1") Just make sure the episode is indicated.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Haru, My Roommate is a Cat
    Watching: And Yet the Town Moves, Super Sonico, Hayate the Combat Butler season 2, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, TOA-I, TSL, SAO, KTF, CQK, KMF, DAL, TSH, PNL, More TBD
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Getting out and about.

And so it begins with Chakuro and company finding an injured girl on an island that's just as big as their own, and Chakuro brings her over to have her treated, but it turns out that she's no ordinary girl. They call her Lykos, and she's a thymia user, which is a bad thing because those marked children have short life spans. And then Ouni gets freed from prison and is already stirring quite a lot of trouble dragging Chakuro and Lykos out, and that sets things into motion. So far, it's off to a nice start as the visualization is strong and an intriguing story is being built. For a moment, I thought that Chakuro was a girl, but given the shoujo style of artwork that it's easier to make that mistake.

While this show is looking great, unfortunately I don't feel up for watching much more of this right now because Netflix has it and as such, it won't be legally anywhere until sometime after the season. I'll give it my usual trial period process, but chances are I'll wait on it.
    Watching: And Yet the Town Moves, Super Sonico, Hayate the Combat Butler season 2, Toonami Stuff
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Episode 2

Have a heart.

So it turns out Lykos is not the girl's name, but the name of a mysterious creature that feeds off emotions. She doesn't have a heart, but Chakuro is doing everything he can to make sure that she does. And then everybody goes see the locusts flying off and that's quite a nice sight there. But just when it looked like things were going well, out of nowhere a bunch of soldiers arrive and starts shooting everybody on the island. Things suddenly took a turn for the worst there as these kids are sinners that need to be punished, and while there was an ominous vibe around Lykos, nobody could realize that something like this would happen.

With that, I'll probably go one more episode before holding off until Netflix puts it up. So far, it has been nice to watch for the artwork and the character development. Anyway, given how full this season is getting that I think I'm not up for much more until it comes to Netflix.

Comment

Episode 3

These guys ain't clowning around.

So those clown mask soldiers are killing everybody in order to bring back Lykos, and they accuse those guys of kidnapping her, so that justifies their massacre. That was quite brutal to watch, and even more so with Sami being killed right in front of Chakuro. While everybody else is helpless, Ouni decides to fight back. Those soldiers of Skylos happen to be from the same races as Lykos, and they try to bring her back, but Lykos refuses to do so.

So with that, I think I'll hold off on watching any more until it comes out on Netflix. So far, it as been a great show with amazing visuals. But yeah, I'm just not up to watch any more shows in this way at the moment.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
        Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
        Widgets Magazine
        Working...
        X