Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Episode 7

Your life is in his hands.

So after going on a murder frenzy last time around, Shishigami is now going around and saving lives using his healing powers to cure those who were on death's door, and the reason for that turnabout is Shion. While not hiding the fact that he's a serial killer, Shion is the only piece of humanity Shishigami has left after his mother killed herself. Even though he's helping others, that still doesn't erase the stench of his crimes as the armed forces are out to get him. Shishigami is turning out to be one of the most complicated antagonists I have come across as it's hard to say where his heart and mind are after everything he has been doing.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Violet Evergarden of KyoAni's Violet Evergarden
    Watching: Kyo Kara Maoh, Pokemon Sun and Moon, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, FRB, KYB, FGN, MIX, FIL
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 7

Shion really is such a sweet girl. The denial was indeed quite heavy with her, only ending when Shishigami outright spills all to her in chilling fashion. Shion being the girl she is was certainly not going to just forgive that, but the way she responds to that really gets to touching Shishigami, and so he's not just at a calm "kill no more" moment he where he was briefly at before with his mom but moving to help people in the same vein as Inuyashiki (speaking of that, interesting how there's none of the title character here, still interested to see what comes next for him too). Shion is really happy to bear witness to it. Well, figured these newfound lovebirds wouldn't have long... The authorities are definitely taking a more militarized approach finally as I would expect. This does not bode well for grandma (particularly just after we got such a candid moment from her...) or Shion, perhaps both of them. I really want to Shion to live on aside from just touching Shishigami positively in this moment, but anxiously expecting she might not.

Comment

Episode 8

He shot the sheriff.

While the police force was justified in their actions, shooting Shion and her grandmother was totally uncalled for, so it's no wonder why Shishigami was determined to take down the police, and that's exactly what he did as thanks to his cyborg body, he's an unstoppable killing machine. And then some light about Mari is shed as she's an aspiring mangaka, and while Inuyashiki is supportive of her career choice, her mother, not so much as she wants her to go to college just in case her mangaka career ends up being a bust seeing that the success rate isn't very high. After sneaking around and finding out what her father really is, that ought to provide some excellent pieces of inspiration for her work. She's friends with another aspiring mangaka in Oda, an obvious reference to the One Piece mangaka seeing that he's aiming for the Jump magazine. Anyway, everybody now knows why Shishigami is so dangerous after charging into the police HQ and massacring everybody there as now, only Inuyashiki can stop him.
        The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 8

Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
          While the police force was justified in their actions, shooting Shion and her grandmother was totally uncalled for, so it's no wonder why Shishigami was determined to take down the police, and that's exactly what he did as thanks to his cyborg body, he's an unstoppable killing machine.
          Well, Shion probably didn't do herself any favors with the police by going out of her way to alert Shishigami. Given how intense the situation was going to get regardless, I'm not sure if it would have helped her and grandma if she remained silent and let them try to unsuccessfully (Shion would be uncertain on how indestructible Shishigami is) gun down Shishigami by surprise. I was afraid that was the end of them. But turns out for a brief scene later, it doesn't seem like it was too late for Shishigami's healing capabilities. Well, in any case, the moral yo-yoing continues as Shishigami is so easily taken to revenge. The cycle repeats just as it did with his mom. Just where is this going to end for him? Obviously the confrontation with Inuyashiki is inevitable, but seems like he's going to have a meteor to deal with too... (curious to see what craziness we get of that).

I'm very much liking what we get of Mari. She seemed important going by the OP, but there was not much indication of depth to her up to this point. That she's aiming to be a mangaka is a rather interesting reveal. I do wonder what's behind her rather intense frustration over economics differences. Seems she's in an OK middle class lifestyle as it is right now. That her envy is possibly directed at the author One Piece might be a hint of where she could cross paths with Shishigami later (given how he brought it up in his fandom up in his first sociopathic killing spree). Though here it was very cute to see her spot Andou with her dad, and wonder what the heck was going on, in all kinds of unthinkably dramatic (given what she knows of her dad) situations. But then she follows them to hospital and it hits her directly that is even more of an unthinkably dramatic situation than she could realize. That reaction is priceless. Yet another thing that's going to be quite interesting to see how plays out, with it now on her mind everytime she interacts with dad (will she let it be known soon?) I also wonder if this is something that will end up inspiring her manga.

Andou talks up how unapproachable Mari seems to him, but he might get some interactions with her after all: wonder if she'll actually try to probe him instead of her dad right of. Kind of sweet what we hear from Inuyashiki as to how she was when she was younger. I wonder if she would have taken the cancer news in the first episode much more emotionally than we would have expected with her current attitude. Of course, all this interesting development for her has me just as worried as Shion that she's going to be fodder for tragedy (even though they just faked me out on Shion this episode: I'm hoping for interesting things with both of them).

Comment

Re: Episode 6

I wonder if Oku was living out a fantasy of being able to exact revenge on all the 2ch trolls who talked shit about his work. That's a joke, of course, but somewhere in my mind I believe there could be some slightly humorous truth to it. At least this confirms that they're not trying to make Hiro truly sympathetic, even if some think of him as such.
            My Top Anime | Manga
            My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
            My FP Reviews | Twitter
            FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Re: Episode 7

Shion is sweet, but this would be a lot more conflicting if Inuyashiki hadn't already done the same thing when Hiro was still slaughtering strangers for sport...
              My Top Anime | Manga
              My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
              My FP Reviews | Twitter
              FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Re: Episode 8

Oda's father is a famous mangaka, huh? What an interesting name choice.

Mari has seemed pretty boring up to now, but her ideas of what her father must be doing with Ando are enough to instantly make her one of the best characters. I want more of that. Well now she gets to see Daddy live out a manga fantasy of his own. Nice to see the title character for a change.
                My Top Anime | Manga
                My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                My FP Reviews | Twitter
                FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 9

It's a declaration of war.

Now Shishigami is targeting everybody in Japan as his next victims in Japan, and he does that by hacking into everybody's smartphones and killing them. Ando figures it out and tells everybody to stop using their cell phones, but he didn't know that any screen electronics will do the trick. But just when it looked like it was all figured out, Shishigami strikes back with something unimaginable as he hijacked a plane and brought it crashing into the middle of Tokyo creating another 9/11 nightmare. Shishigami has gotten even more dangerous and bloodthirsty as now he's doing what al-Qaeda did (save for the suicide part as he doesn't need to be on-board to hijack a plane and all he needs to do is hack into the plane's system, which is child's play for him). After seeing that, things are dire and now Inuyashiki needs to respond in a big way as he's the only one who can go up against Shishigami and beat the living crap out of him.

Comment

Re: Episode 9

That's a nice sight to watch a day and a half before I fly to Hawaii.

Okay, how the hell is Inuyashiki going to stop him before he kills everyone?
                    My Top Anime | Manga
                    My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                    My FP Reviews | Twitter
                    FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 10

Born to be a hero.

Just as Shishigami was being al-Qaeda, Inuyashiki responds by being the FDNY on 9/11 as he goes around saving people that are trapped inside buildings that have been struck by those planes. Hearing that Mari is in danger, Inuyashiki goes after her as he diverted a bunch of passenger airplanes safely into Tokyo Bay, but Shishigami isn't letting him do so. After a huge fight breaks out, Inuyashiki rips up Shishigami and just when it looked like Mari had bit the dust, she suddenly wakes up. That was some great action there, and it's great to see that Inuyashiki finally found his reason in life. However, Shishigami isn't quite down yet even though his head has been ripped open. One more episode left to go.

Comment

Re: Episode 10

I was getting really worried about Mari's fate starting at the end of the previous episode, and boy did they grip so very tightly on that point this episode. There was no avoiding an exchange with Shishigami, who as much as I wanted to be brushed off, of course wasn't going to be happening in quick and easy fashion, taking up time just when Inuyashiki really urgently needed to save people. So satisfied it did eventually happen, and dang was it looking like I was about to be pissed when he got to Mari-saving time. Feels like we wouldn't have had those dangling threads about her manga ambitions if she was really going to kick the bucket now, and with how Shion and grandma got revived by Shishigami from being brutally gunned down, it felt like Inuyashiki would have it in his power despite how hopeless it looked. They dragged it out so wrenchingly long that it quite possibly could have been the last possible second he could have got there and still saved her, though. It's interesting just how much they've gotten me to care for Mari in the span of a few episodes. Really touched my heart in the previous episode when she was talking to her friend about going out of her way to get dog food, knowing how much her dad cares for his pet.

Quite interested how things are going to go for Inuyashiki family now that it really seems he's not going to escape the public eye. Dad talks like he's going to be back at home as normal, but is he? Shishigami was obviously not going to be completely out of commission either. Will be interesting to see what comes next with him. Probably Chekhov's meteor being will be in the picture too... I doubt it will just be handled by the US as was brought up in the previous episode.

Comment

Episode 11 (Finale)

Going out a hero.

Inuyashiki was originally going to die before becoming this superhero, and in the end he ends up dying, but doing so in heroic fashion. Things started out pretty quiet, but then comes an asteroid that is threatening to wipe out humanity. Seeing that only he can take it down that Inuyashiki decides to sacrifice himself to save the planet, and Shishigami helps out as well seeing that there's Shion and Ando that he cares about that doesn't want to die. That was quite a way to go out there, but nevertheless even though those two are polar opposites of each other, they, in one way or another, still care about everybody on Earth.

Overall, this is a show with some very high production values that make it great. The animation and action are great, all while the drama is what really stands out. But above all, it's the character portrayals where this show makes the grade as they are very interesting and complex, much more so than what is usually seen in anime. While great, it's not perfect as the one aspect where this show doesn't do so well is the plot progression as it does one thing, but seemingly forget about it the rest of the way like Inuyashiki's relationship with his family, and the other side characters in this. In any case, it's a show that was constructed very nicely to make for a quality time.

MAL Rating:

Comment

Re: Episode 11 (Finale)

I kind of figured they would go the Bruce Willis route here. And they just couldn't leave Shishigami as the only one to do it. Sad there is no heartwarming end for Inuyashiki, even though he was man originally set to die before his forced transformation. At least Mari pushes forward with her manga dreams, and I hope the example of her dad continues to push her in empathetic direction with her work: something that is really needed in this world.

I'm interested in wondering what came of Shion out of all of this. Even though Shishigami's reaction to her kindness had gotten so sociopathically twisted before his defeat, it's ultimately part of what got him to take one for the Earth. But ther's also the contrast of Andou, how even in the end he absolutely could never forgive what Shishigami did, and to have that sink in emotionally face-to-face. That was as much part of the influence as was Shion and important balancing point.

Comment

Re: Episode 10

They really want you to think Mari died here. But as has been the case so far, Inuyashiki is able to save everyone he attempts to, even if it seems that they are already fully dead. Quite the little showdown they had there. Curious to see where this goes.
                              My Top Anime | Manga
                              My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                              My FP Reviews | Twitter
                              FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Re: Episode 11 (Finale)

Oh. Well that's a way to conclude this story in 11 episodes. I'm guessing that wasn't from the manga. Especially with Trump in there. Still not a bad option overall.
                                My Top Anime | Manga
                                My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                                My FP Reviews | Twitter
                                FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine
                                Working...