X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Fall 2017] Inuyashiki Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    いぬやしき

A show about an old man who has fallen out of favor of his family on the verge of death. But by chance, he turns into a cyborg and decides to become a hero instead with his new lease on life.

Airs: Thursaday, October 12, 2017

Studio: Mappa

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Amazon

Inuyashiki Ichirou is down on his luck. While only 58 years old, his geriatric looks often have him written off as a pathetic old man by the world around him and he's constantly ignored and disrespected by his family despite all that he's done to support them. On top of everything else, his doctor has revealed that he has cancer and it appears that he has little time left in this world. But just when it seems things couldn't get any worse, a blinding light in the night sky strikes the earth where Ichirou stands. He later wakes up to find himself unscathed, but he soon starts to notice that there's something... different about himself. However, it turns out that these strange, new changes are just what Ichirou needs to take a new lease on life and now it seems like there's nothing to stop him from being a hero worthy of the respect that he never had before... unless, that is, there was someone else out there with these same changes...

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these two easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please indicate in the first line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please quote that post (or a relevant reply to that post), or include the episode title in the first line. ("Re: Episode 1") Just make sure the episode is indicated.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Lecia Ivyred, The Rising of the Shield Hero
    Watching: Kyo Kara Maoh, Pokemon Sun and Moon, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, DRO, CQK, RSH, AOT, BSD, FRB, OPM, KYB, FGN, SKS, MLA, SMT, HBS, KOT, MIX, WNL, KMA, FIL, IDM, ISQ, SRG, STW
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Make a machine out of this man.

Ichiro sure is such a sad sight to see, and while he's not dead yet, in three months he is. At least until he gets struck by meteors and now has died and been reborn as a cyborg with all sorts of powers there. He sure showed those bullies who tried to burn that homeless man with fireworks that no evil deed goes unpunished. Pretty solid start here as Mappa comes through again with some great visuals. The story was a bit sloppy, but it still works.

So with that, the usual trial rules apply. But so far, it has made a favorable impression, so it's on solid ground at this point.
    Simulcasts: FTL, DRO, CQK, RSH, AOT, BSD, FRB, OPM, KYB, FGN, SKS, MLA, SMT, HBS, KOT, MIX, WNL, KMA, FIL, IDM, ISQ, SRG, STW
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

That was actually quite good. I don't know how much confidence I should have from the Gantz guy, but this was a very promising start, and MAPPA is killing it so far. I'm surprised by how okay I am with all the CG; they manage to handle it well.
      My Top Anime | Manga
      My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
      My FP Reviews | Twitter
      FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 2

Opposites attract.

That was just brutal every way you slice it. While Shishigami also became a cyborg through a freak occurrence, that's where the similarities end and the differences begin as Shishigami is the exact opposite of Inuyashiki, and that has led them to becoming natural enemies. Inuyashiki is an old man siding with good, having been psyched out by his family, and is trying to save others, while Shishigami is a young man siding with evil, being faithful to friends and family, and is a killing machine all for their sake. While Inuyashiki is the last hero, Shishigami might very well be the last villain as he fits the role very well. Another great episode that was, and one that goes to show just how ugly things are about to get.

So with that, this show has made the watchlist. It has been every bit as great as I was hoping it to be, and with the Thursday lineup being so light once again that there's no question that this is in.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

Has Amazon even streamed this episode yet? Getting kind of irritated with the lack of consistency in their schedule.

Comment

Yep, this is Oku. A bunch of stuff about Gantz and a psychopathic teenager using his godly powers to slaughter a random family brutally and with no remorse. Classic.
            My Top Anime | Manga
            My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
            My FP Reviews | Twitter
            FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Well, that's a rather chilling contrast with how they start out with their newfound form, though I'm not at all surprised given what I've heard about this author. The first episode kind of made it feel like Inuyashiki had finally had a positive turn in his life that was about to end miserably. Given what he's facing already, I do wonder if it will eventually start to feel to him that he would have preferred his original path (I kind of hope it doesn't go in that direction, though).

Comment

Episode 3

Let the healing begin.

Shishigami continues to kill just for the thrill of it, and Chokko had enough of this asshole. While he has friends, sooner or later they will desert him if he keeps this serial killer shit up. Meanwhile, Inuyashiki is learning more about his new body everyday as he can fly, while also healing others like he did when he saved that cat, as well as when Shishigama healed that cut. Anyway, those two continue to go their opposite paths as Shishigami continues to be the perfect villain for Inuyashiki. It will be interesting to see where this goes.

Comment

Re: Episode 3

Well I don't think Inuyashiki is going to get very far with his healing without being found out, and that should lead to a major confrontation.
                  My Top Anime | Manga
                  My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                  My FP Reviews | Twitter
                  FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 4

An eye for an eye, two eyes for a girl.

Samejima is a yakuza leader, and his henchmen kidnap Fumino to be his sex doll. But it?s Inuyashiki to the rescue as he shows Samejima and his lackeys never to mess with him. Inuyashiki certainly overdid it with the divine punishment there shooting out everybody?s eyes, but nevertheless he saved the day as Fumino definitely deserves to live a happy life with Satoru and not as a play thing to Samejima.

Comment

Re: Episode 4

So hey, what happened with the hospital? I feel like someone would've noticed everyone suddenly being healthy. I hope Satoru wasn't actually dead, because that just crosses a line. This felt like a more episodic one-off, but it's still pretty satisfying to see a bunch of disgusting yakuza get fucking destroyed like that.
                      My Top Anime | Manga
                      My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                      My FP Reviews | Twitter
                      FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 5

A miracle worker, yes. A hero, no.

With Ando having cut his friendship ties with Shishigami, he's now forming one with Inuyashiki as he figures out that he's the reason behind the miracles. While Shishigami has become a serial killer, he still has some humanity left as he healed his mother just when she was about to kick the bucket with her cancer. Just when it looked like things were looking great for him, the cops have come knocking on his door to apprehend him as he's the killer in question. Pretty ironic how things went down here, but nevertheless Shishigami still has his crimes to answer to and it will be interesting to find out how he was caught. I think it was Ando who alerted authorities seeing that he was determined to bring Shishigami to justice and saw him killing others at school.

Comment

Re: Episode 5

Now we're really getting somewhere. Ando discovers Inuyashiki quite easily and begins his plan to work together to stop Hiro's villainy. Meanwhile, Hiro is starting to experience some morals get in the way of said villainy just in time for him to be put in a situation that will force him to return to killing. Obviously Hiro is still too fucked up to sympathize with, but at least there's more to his character than just that now. I can't say I'm sure Ando could've given the authorities enough to convince them they needed to approach Hiro like that; anyone could've told them the same, and it's not like they'd believe the truth. So I'm curious to see if there's more to that. We're definitely in the thick of it now, so it's certainly engaging.
                          My Top Anime | Manga
                          My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                          My FP Reviews | Twitter
                          FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 6

Social media is a dangerous thing.

My mind is just totally blown after what happened here. First of all, Shishigami ends up being such a crybaby, but lest not forget that he brought all of this upon himself as he didn't have to become a serial killer in the first place. And now, social media is burying his mother and that drove her to committing suicide, and consequently Shishigami goes on another rampage as being a cyborg, he can kill his victims remotely by hacking into their machines using computer screens and mobile devices to kill. Cyberspace isn't safe anymore as those who insulted Shishigami's family through 2chan are paying the price. That pushed him over the edge, and now there's no redeeming this guy. Not that it was possible to begin with, but after this there is absolutely no sympathy.

Comment

Re: Episode 6

The authorities didn't seem too prepared in knowledge of Shishigami's capabilities. I'm guessing they just got a single bit of evidence linking him to one of the crimes and acted on it immediately. I wonder whether that came from Inuyashiki having discreetly sent it (he was there at the original scene, so maybe he has it "recorded" in his body?) or just something random. Andou continues to help guide Inuyashiki in discovering his abilities in a rather humorous way.

Shion is the sweetest jimiko, with a sweet grandmother to match. It was going to be a real stretch that she'd think of sheltering Shishigami if she knew him as a killer, though it seems she was convinced he was being falsely accused. I wonder how much denial there was deep down on that. Well, once she gets wind of the murdered reporters and 2channers (Anonymous is not safe! They went with the exact worst stereotype first there), it will have to be denial. The ED seems to hint at some kind of connection, though, so I'm curious just how exactly that's going to come about as she would have to forgive some heinous stuff. Perhaps there is a dark side to her in wanting to see "bullies" murdered (she fell in love with Shishigami over standing up them with Andou: would be an extreme extension of that), but there's still the matter of the completely innocent random people. Also maybe she will get some sympathy for him suddenly losing his physical humanity by complete chance. Will be interesting to see just what will come of her role. Not going to be pretty if her helping him is discovered (given how lowly and bullied she seems to be already), but I'd think that would just be exact same depressing cycle we saw with Shishigami mother.

Well, I'd think things are going to be changing in how the authorities are approaching this quite rapidly, anyway. It seems likely anything coming out about Inuyashiki is going to cause things to be painful for him and his family, even despite his best efforts. Not everyone is going to be like Andou in taking him as a genuine hero who they don't have to be suspicious of. There are lots of intriguing paths, and I'm quite curious which one we'll be taking.
                              Last edited by EmperorBrandon; 11-16-2017, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X