Wake Up, Girls! New Chapter Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Episode 13

It's interesting how Makina is now suddenly styled "Machina" instead in the subtitles. It's obvious the reason, because her Twitter account soon appears on screen. Given what she is, it makes sense. One of those names that are neatly a standard Japanese girl's name and yet something beyond that at the same time.

Mayushi and Shihocchi are so cute messaging each other. Besides that well-established bond, though, it's interesting there's a little bit forming with fellow team leaders Yoppi and Megumi too. It was neat later to see how Shiho came around for all Mayu has tried to help her (even as it's resulted in some bumpy drama for her in the past few episodes) by going to Hayasaka, and how that is how they ultimately got their venue. Hayasaka is such a masterful troll to Shiraki in how the "special guest" thing worked out.

Neat to see WUG girls support RGR by letting them wear their special scrunchies. One on each arm still wouldn't be enough to include them all, but then it was cute to notice the final one tying Hayamaru's ponytail. They start off rather awkwardly as could be expected, and even when they finally get over their nerves and launch into performance, they still have some missteps. But for their first time, it looks to be seen as a modest success. So sweet to see Hayamaru tearing up as she's finished her performance and gets an "otsukaresama" from Mayu.

And there are lots of CG idol performances from WUG's setlist. To drive home the human vs. virtual theme Hayasaka was already getting into, we get one of the major disadvantages of a Vdol when disastrous weather strikes their electronic systems. It affects them both adversely, but more so in the case of the Vdol since she's completely gone. With malfunctioning mics, WUG themselves are still there and find a way to get their songs out.

So much focus on Shiho sticking up for her group later in the series, but no focus on their performance this episode. But it's "This story is only the beginning" for the lot of them. RGR only just got up and going this episode. I'm not so sure we'll get any kind of sequel to this, but if they do, I wonder if they can manage to not get so low next time as far as production problems go.

Comment

Re: Episode 13
      Originally posted by EmperorBrandon View Post
      And there are lots of CG idol performances from WUG's setlist. To drive home the human vs. virtual theme Hayasaka was already getting into, we get one of the major disadvantages of a Vdol when disastrous weather strikes their electronic systems. It affects them both adversely, but more so in the case of the Vdol since she's completely gone. With malfunctioning mics, WUG themselves are still there and find a way to get their songs out.
      But no self-aware irony that the "humans" here are being rendered by a computer, not drawn by human hands.

There was a little too much time spent on performances, though considering the animation problems this show had this season, I can see where they'd want to eat as much time as possible with quick and perhaps these days cheaper CGI than trying to get hand-drawn art for the episode.

At least we got to see Hayasaka trolling Shiraki a bit, which was fun. And while the directorial guidance is no longer in the hands of Mr. Grumpy Pants, who did have a vision for this ongoing story, it was important that the characters remain consistent at least, and they do. WUG are still the underdogs of the whole anime idol world, but that's why we continue to cheer for them. And much as virtual idols have their advantages...in the end, they're still just cold, lifeless images created by machines. There's still a desire for living breathing people...for the moment. And a virtual idol won't surprise you pleasantly, as a human still might. That's the lesson Hayasaka is trying to show Shiraki, who basically knows this but is so arrogant he does not want to admit it to anyone else.
      Avatar: Hinagiku Katsura from Hayate the Combat Butler.
      Scratchy for Tama is angry.
      I'm a little tired now...I want soda.
      Casual

Comment

Originally posted by Hitsugi Amachi View Post

But no self-aware irony that the "humans" here are being rendered by a computer, not drawn by human hands.

There was a little too much time spent on performances, though considering the animation problems this show had this season, I can see where they'd want to eat as much time as possible with quick and perhaps these days cheaper CGI than trying to get hand-drawn art for the episode.
        :D :D :D

Honestly, I think if Millenpensee just stuck with CG all the way, it might've not been half as bad. And this is coming from my initial criticism; yet after an entire season of poorly hand-drawn/animated scenes, their CG counterparts at least helps compensate (as contradicting as that sounds) Of course it still doesn't hold a candle to Love Live!, but compare the CG sequences, particularly with both I-1 and WUG!'s performances in this ep to the hand-drawn still-art for a significant part of the entire series. As much as the CG is unattractive, there are some positives to it on the technical/aesthetic standpoint. Most of the hand-drawn animation was consistently off-model, sloppy, and just plain meh. But when the CG is involved, there are a few points I believe work better, and actually, benefit the idols' songs.

Earlier on in the series, the camera work was pretty damn awful; yet, there's clearly a vast improvement in this last episode. Actually, and this is not any bias I have toward WUG! as far as idol shows go, this is coming more from a technical view- but if comparing the Love Live! juggernaut to this, and despite all of Love Live!'s performances and how much beautiful eye-candy they have in those sequences, go back and take a look at that franchise's overall 'aesthetics' and compare them to these recent WUG! performances. Notice something? hint...disregard the camera movement done in WUG!. The camerawork only 'distorts' what you think is missing or lacking in some regard, though it's really hidden in plain sight. If you can see it, you'll know this underdog of a show is surprisingly good in this entertaining factor. It might be easy to miss because the models/CG art just don't do it justice. But for that, I'll credit Millenpensee for visualizing what I would've expected more from prominent properties like Love Live! I'm not downplaying Love Live!/Sunshine, but there are some things (which are the basis for shows like these) I'm surprised WUG! excels in that a lot of people might ignore or haven't noticed, or at least haven't given their due.

And of course many fans will disagree with me on this point as well, but the songs in WUG! are catchier. At least they're more appealing to me, but I'm in the minority, so no surprise for any hate. WUG's songs have this distinct sound to them, especially the more recent 7 Senses. And it's not just WUG!'s songs, but I'm already fond of I-1 Club's Jewelry Wonderland too, which is on preorder. :D So yeah, call it a bias, bad musical taste, or what not, I just feel WUG! despite having an anemic, short discography list compared to Love Live!, has songs that catch my ears far more easily.

At least we got to see Hayasaka trolling Shiraki a bit, which was fun. And while the directorial guidance is no longer in the hands of Mr. Grumpy Pants, who did have a vision for this ongoing story, it was important that the characters remain consistent at least, and they do. WUG are still the underdogs of the whole anime idol world, but that's why we continue to cheer for them. And much as virtual idols have their advantages...in the end, they're still just cold, lifeless images created by machines. There's still a desire for living breathing people...for the moment. And a virtual idol won't surprise you pleasantly, as a human still might. That's the lesson Hayasaka is trying to show Shiraki, who basically knows this but is so arrogant he does not want to admit it to anyone else.
        I was kind of surprised with this exchange, because it seemed both had contradicting opinions on the matter at first. But I suppose Hayasaka realizing WUG's relentless duty to show the idol world they'll do their best regardless the situation and circumstances, made him rethink his outlook. Actually, it did seem he was uncertain and perhaps confused with the direction he needed to go as we've seen in early episodes, but maybe 'boring' America provided enough convincing that Vdolism was really just another avenue of creating a 'machine' no different from Shiraki's perspective on his industry. Definitely a lesson-learned experience for Hayasaka and an amusing display of denial from Shiraki, whom despite might be a bot himself, is at least shown in a better light than what probably really happens in the world of entertainment.

Comment

Originally posted by Sensuifu View Post
          And of course many fans will disagree with me on this point as well, but the songs in WUG! are catchier. At least they're more appealing to me, but I'm in the minority, so no surprise for any hate. WUG's songs have this distinct sound to them, especially the more recent 7 Senses. And it's not just WUG!'s songs, but I'm already fond of I-1 Club's Jewelry Wonderland too, which is on preorder. :D So yeah, call it a bias, bad musical taste, or what not, I just feel WUG! despite having an anemic, short discography list compared to Love Live!, has songs that catch my ears far more easily.
          I actually like the WUG songs over the LL (and definitely LLS, which I consider to be nothing but cold leftovers in all respects) ones too. But...it just means we have better taste than many other people

Avatar: Hinagiku Katsura from Hayate the Combat Butler.
          Scratchy for Tama is angry.
          I'm a little tired now...I want soda.
          Casual

Comment

Originally posted by Hitsugi Amachi View Post

I actually like the WUG songs over the LL (and definitely LLS, which I consider to be nothing but cold leftovers in all respects) ones too. But...it just means we have better taste than many other people
            true :D , though I find it ironic there's also no love for I-1 Club despite being the more popular group in-show. Of course that would defeat the point of WUG!'s success story in context, but I-1 does have their share of good songs. I really like their newest, which reaffirms the excellent music production the show has overall. Still, aside from the weaker story compared to the earlier properties, seeing the number of people drop it just for its questionable art/presentation, is a little sad. They likely missed the newest music too, which really identifies WUG! as a franchise, WUG! as a group, and all the other idol groups in-show. I wouldn't mind a continuation, though hopefully whoever is doing it, at least attempts to make it less stressful on the eyes. Millenpensee has a lot of catching up to do, but from their trials, I can see improvements that hopefully translate into something closer in aesthetically appealing art as the more popular idol shows. Heh, I can only think of one show that exceeds how its CG rendition of its character matches how that character might look as a real life counterpart- and it doesn't take a poker face to hide the fact.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
            Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
            Widgets Magazine
            Working...
            X