Widgets Magazine

Wake Up, Girls! New Chapter Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

somewhat related, but interesting to see the latest article on ANN pointing out WUG's performance. Neat they were considered by many to have stolen the show. Funny how ironic that is.. :D

Comment

Episode 5

As far as the events we see, Moka's injury itself only ended up being a temporary affair. She's already back and performing at the start of the episode. The drama series did not seem affected much at first by Shiho's emergency reassignment either. But what the incident really gets to shining a light on is how Shiho has got to feeling about leading the girls in the local unit of Next Storm at Hakata. It really comes to the fore when the real shake-ups at I-1 get revealed (always interesting to see Shiraki's soullessly programmed meeting shtick) to her. They're in the process of consolidating and closing their theaters in outlying regions and focusing on Tokyo. Originally a demotion for her, she has gotten to be really genuinely be at home with them, and it shows in how Shiho reacts to the news getting to her.

It really gets to hitting her performance in the drama series too. Earlier, it was nice to see how, despite her busier schedule, Shiho was continuing to work hard at her role and trying not to fall behind Mayushi in finding ways to innovate at her role. Originally not able to do the drawing part for her character, she actually works he way up even at that aspect rather than let someone else fill in for it. And once she gets to the point where the potential Hakata closing weighs on her mind so much, her interactions with Mayu really get to turning things around. They've reached the sweetest, most dere (on Shiho's end) point of their friendly rivalry. Shihocchi's adlibbing goes so wonderfully, trusting correctly that Mayu will respond. The director really couldn't have known just how much of a synergistic pair he ended up chosing. They definitely go beyond his expectations.

The V-dol thing comes out to both Green Leaves (looks like Anna and Karina are taking part as musicians too) and I-1 Club. Hayasaka is such an ass as always, in the way he shows up to just say he's too busy for their song. Quite curious what's going to come of this subplot. Also, "Run Girls, Run!" seem to be living up to their eventual name. I wonder if this is what it comes from (at least not a love hotel...) The fan club trip seems like it's going to be a big turning point for them.

Comment

Originally posted by EmperorBrandon View Post
        Episode 5

The V-dol thing comes out to both Green Leaves (looks like Anna and Karina are taking part as musicians too) and I-1 Club. Hayasaka is such an ass as always, in the way he shows up to just say he's too busy for their song. Quite curious what's going to come of this subplot.
        I was waiting for this other shoe to drop, Hayasaka working on the V-dol, since I think it was already back in Ep 1 or 2 that we saw him composing in the program for it. So perhaps this is the eventual major idea they'll tackle in the idol industry this time around, the impact that Crypton Future Media whoever made the V-dol is having on human idols.
        Avatar: Hinagiku Katsura from Hayate the Combat Butler.
        Scratchy for Tama is angry.
        I'm a little tired now...I want soda.
        Casual

Comment

Re: Episode 5
          Originally posted by Hitsugi Amachi View Post

I was waiting for this other shoe to drop, Hayasaka working on the V-dol, since I think it was already back in Ep 1 or 2 that we saw him composing in the program for it. So perhaps this is the eventual major idea they'll tackle in the idol industry this time around, the impact that Crypton Future Media whoever made the V-dol is having on human idols.
          The interesting thing about that scene was Hayasaka not only possibly working on 'it', we actually see him using that DAW to remove tracks/instrumentation, possibly implying that he was making the move to voice-synths. Just a hypothesis though...maybe he was deleting old stuff (although creating a new track from scratch would be quicker), but in reality, you can keep all those tracks and just insert the Vocaloid on its own track.

Vocaloid is treated just like any individual instrument, the one difference is, whether you're using it as a straight plug-in or importing it already as a downmix- basically there are two ways to use the program, but neither of them are in realtime per-se as the notation relies on pre-set lyrics/input.

Later, the scene cuts to Shiraki and that V-dol on his phone...so yeah, finally confirmation that voice-synths are somewhat impacting the industry. The one thing I'm curious whether or not they'll be showing/referencing are the stats regarding this. We haven't seen hard evidence of the numbers Shiraki keeps worrying about and how his idol business compares to it. In other words, I'm wondering about actual performances that V-dol shows compared to the numbers I-1, et al have. I would think Tange would be in the know about that too...or maybe is really keeping hush about it as to not worry her crew?

Seems like with Shiraki consolidating performances is not only a tactic to show 'strength in numbers', but to target the same locations the V-dols are concentrated in. I can see why he wouldn't want to waste resources in areas that have limited appeal, especially if the V-dols don't have influence there either.

Last edited by Sensuifu; 11-07-2017, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Episode 6

Even with the trio of fangirls being featured prominently, they don't shy away from the fact that most of the female idol fans devoted enough to follow along with a tour like this are going to be dudes. They do find some other girls to talk with, who just happen to be most devoted to the girl who can't make it to the show in time. Poor distinctly Ueda Reina-voiced fangirl... (amusing how noticeable she's gotten to be with me lately). I like again how we see how much of a good leader Yoppi is for her WUG-mates in the situation, trying to plan things out smartly over what they will do with without her and calm those who are panicking. But she still herself doesn't want to do it without Minyami and holds out for her as long as she can.

Seeing the girls back in the ferocious beast outfits fills me with some WUG Zoo nostalgia. It's amusing they ramp that up even further when we get to hear the familiar theme song on top of it. I love that ending... Nanami was cute in how she made the suggestion of having a Minyami stand-in, but then got saddled with carrying out when she wasn't expecting. Though she should have... I was thinking about her similar build even before they brought it up. And it goes rather awkwardly too, but it's a mishap the fans take in good spirits. Not too surprising when you'd feel the most devoted "WUGners" are here, some maybe who have been there since they initially struggled and get their charm.

Hayamaru really gets to play the part of a lucky sukebe protagonist here, sneaking into the bath while the others are assuming she's Yoppi. This makes me wonder if her future spirit animal is already being decided by fat here: a bloody polar bear. :D Cute otherwise how she's gotten to interact Mayushi here, and that she actually finally finds to courage to admit her goal after being inspired by her so much.

Not much on I-1 Club this time, but then we get a scene with Shiraki at the time. Going to be interesting to see what he has in mind for their "rebirth".

Comment

Re: Episode 6

It's a cute enough outing, with a lot of service for the fans. But the animation problems from last week continued, which makes me wonder what is going on behind the scenes with the show.

Not much on I-1 Club this time, but then we get a scene with Shiraki at the time. Going to be interesting to see what he has in mind for their "rebirth".
              It is an interesting question, what Shiraki has planned. Closing down the local branches and regathering the girls in Tokyo...is he planning on a last stand against the inroads of virtual idols...or something else?
              Casual

Comment

Episode 8

Not only was WUG off a week, but it seems we even skipped an episode number. I was already assuming it was the case, but it's nice for Crunchyroll to let us know that episode 7 doesn't affect story continuity. And watching episode 8 itself, it doesn't really feel like anything was skipped at all. Curious what that episode will be about, and if it will be broadcast/streamed later (obviously will be on home video at the very least: they've got their work cut out for them in patching things up with this series in general animation-wise). Not that I think it really had to be (and hopefully it doesn't get TOO troubled), but it does seem fitting for WUG yet again to be a troubled production itself.

Heh, the passionate fan group of four has a fun moment yet again, getting irritated by the honor code breakers. This show hasn't really gotten into the pretty turbulent potential scandals over idol relationships and too-obsessive fanboys yet, has it? I'm guessing it's something that's something WUG just doesn't want to take on. I think it's nice to have a group of fanboys that are rather harmless here, though. The waitress having to get them to settle down is amusing.

Not that it's anything new for him, but Shiraki sure is harsh as hell with breaking the new developments to them, particularly Moka. Moka is determined, but doesn't really seem to have developed much of a pleasant attitude as center, so I'm not sure how bad I feel about her. But I do wonder what we'll see come of her. While she's not being happy thrust into the captain position over Mai, it feels like Megumi has had a time in the spotlight coming given her friendship with Mayu, and I'm even more curious what comes of her. Even Shihocchi too apparently, right on the end cliffhanger, with her probably being conflicted over how much she's gotten invested in her new position.

Hayasaka seemingly has some issues, but we're still only scratching the surface of them, with a bit of his backstory in a band coming up here. Looking forward to seeing what comes to the fore, likely along with the V-dol developments.

And speaking of harsh, President Tange isn't necessarily going easy on the three idol wannabes. I like how she takes their fangirlism sensibly as a red flag. Matsuda being around on his own, they find it easier to force to do something. It was fun to see how Acchan was the most forward in launching into flyer handouts, even though she doesn't really doesn't have the cheerful expressiveness we would think someone would need of the job. I had a feeling we were going to get some charming forced smile attempts from her, so happy they didn't let me down on that later... Tange likes her bluntness over being inspired by rival I-1 too. Hayamaru is still so goofy. I like that her mom is rather heartwarmingly positive about her daughter is. I kind of wondered if we were going to have difficult parents in the case of some of these girls, but the opposite can be quite a refreshing thing. Well, it seems like the three finally make it through with their persistence even with the very reluctant Tange. While Tange does seem to have plans now, it doesn't seem she's taking them completely seriously. Do wonder how much they are going to prove themselves. Hayamaru's beloved Mayushi comes through for them a bit as I'd expect of her having kept some watch on them. Do wonder how the rest are going to feel about their new juniors and vice versa.
                Last edited by EmperorBrandon; 11-27-2017, 04:03 PM.

Comment

There were indeed a lot of interesting developments, all summed up by you.

Episode 8

Not only was WUG off a week, but it seems we even skipped an episode number. I was already assuming it was the case, but it's nice for Crunchyroll to let us know that episode 7 doesn't affect story continuity. And watching episode 8 itself, it doesn't really feel like anything was skipped at all. Curious what that episode will be about, and if it will be broadcast/streamed later (obviously will be on home video at the very least: they've got their work cut out for them in patching things up with this series in general animation-wise). Not that I think it really had to be (and hopefully it doesn't get TOO troubled), but it does seem fitting for WUG yet again to be a troubled production itself.
                  It's kind of sad, because otherwise it hasn't been horrible or boring this season. The writing still has some life to it?but the animation (what there is of it) and production just can't do it proper justice.
                  Casual

Comment

Re: Episode 8
                    Originally posted by Hitsugi Amachi View Post
                    The writing still has some life to it?but the animation (what there is of it) and production just can't do it proper justice.
                    funny but unfortunately so true. I'm kind of glad I haven't ran into other media outlets that point out the animation mishaps. Unlike this of the season.

Comment

Episode 9

It does not look like the president actually has the trio doing much idol stuff. Love how she skirts ethics again, employing them like janitorial staff and making it seem like it's helpful idol training. Haha...

I do wonder just what Shihocchi is going to do as far as Next Storm is concerned, if she's even able to do anything. The fact that they're featured in the OP has me wondering if the Hakata bunch will get to make their stand in some way.

Comment

Episode 10

The three new girls are getting even more into their job... as the cleaning squad! Not just around the office, but around the WUG house now too. No need to hire a housekeeper.

I wonder if the particular arrangement is going to pose some challenge for them in some way, but they've developed into such a nice tightly-knit group over the years that it wouldn't be out of place for them to keep getting along just fine.
                        Well, it was just a while in coming I guess... with the pressure to make sure things are going perfectly (with the lack of ticket sales for their tour looming over them), there's room for rifts to form. Minami and Nanami first, but not just the kids squabbling...

I was thinking the previous episode how things have really come full circle for Shiho. She's in exactly the kind of emotional position Mayu had got to be in before deciding to quit I-1. I like that Mayu, running into her, got to really understanding that quickly and being there for her. Though it turns out the time spent there causes Mayu to run late for what she's supposed to be doing with WUG, and more drama comes of how she's not upfront with the reason. Mayu's the projection of competence for much of the season, but here she comes in off her game, losing her scrunchie now too (how many more scrunchies will be temporarily lost? Hehe...). Yoppi was already kind of on edge, so she's really getting set off by Mayu, with her first time talking with Megumi (already steeped in some inadequacy with how she was "losing" at that job to her) raising her suspicions about Mayu being more close with her former I-1'ers than with her own group.

Mayu seems to have good intentions deep down hiding why she was late, not wanting them to worry about something emotionally heavy for her when they're in a stressful situation already as it is, but in the end keeping things to themselves is not what the WUG group is about. Even Mayu, who seems to have it together more often that not, is weak on her own, and they're stronger sharing everything together. Nice to see her getting her true emotions out there to Yoppi, and Kaya and Airi's supportive roles here are really nice too.

Comment

Episode 10
                          Well, it was just a while in coming I guess... with the pressure to make sure things are going perfectly (with the lack of ticket sales for their tour looming over them), there's room for rifts to form. Minami and Nanami first, but not just the kids squabbling...
                          I wasn't really a fan of this episode because the drama felt very heavily forced. None of it was natural. It was conflict for the sake of conflict. With the continued limited animation really showing itself, it just wasn't a fun time.

It's like they had one big idea (Mayu and Shiho have a heart to heart) and then they just needed to fill up the rest of the episode, so they created Conflict Filler.
                          Casual

Comment

Episode 11

It's nice to see the connections they've made with their solo jobs (even ones that were difficult for them at first) are getting to really bear fruit for their upcoming group tour efforts. Not just that, but they also have an interesting run-in with former rivals the Namahagez, that ends up being the spark of some new ideas, both with the song they're writing and in ways to help promote the tour. I like how the message of togetherness established in the previous episode is getting to be important for the finale, not just among themselves but with other regional groups.

I wonder if the example of the Namahagez will be something for Next Storm. Well, in the latter's case, it's of course not going to be that their agency is shut down (rather that it's shutting them down). They wouldn't be able to continue as freelancers with a brand that is not completely theirs, but maybe they could turn it into something new. Well, WUG has talked about cooperation with these regional groups, but it will be interesting to see if they will come together with even their biggest rivals I-1 in some sense. And that has to do with...

The V-dol threat has only been teased up to this point, but we get more in-depth into that this episode and their power to disrupt things. It seems that not only is Silicon Valley pushing them, but they have some mysterious daruma figure ringleader too. Hayasaka goes to ask Shiraki about that, and seems he might know who it is... At this rate, they're threatening WUG's big finale in Sendai, so interested to see what will happen.

Comment

Re: Episode 11
                              The V-dol threat has only been teased up to this point, but we get more in-depth into that this episode and their power to disrupt things. It seems that not only is Silicon Valley pushing them, but they have some mysterious daruma figure ringleader too. Hayasaka goes to ask Shiraki about that, and seems he might know who it is... At this rate, they're threatening WUG's big finale in Sendai, so interested to see what will happen.
                              Everything else was pretty good and made sense (even with the continuing limited animation). But this part is where things went a touch ludicrous. I mean Crypton Future Media...ahem...whoever is behind Vdol suddenly has the financial might to just buy stadiums on a whim? When such deals normally take, oh, I don't know, months to hammer out?

Meh.

They could have done plenty of things to make it interesting with this highly contrived crisis. And I'm sure we'll get some contrived solution to pull it all out.
                              Casual

Comment

Episode 12

I wonder if the example of the Namahagez will be something for Next Storm. Well, in the latter's case, it's of course not going to be that their agency is shut down (rather that it's shutting them down). They wouldn't be able to continue as freelancers with a brand that is not completely theirs, but maybe they could turn it into something new.
                                Heh, so apparently I did guess right on this. Even with the opportunity of being a center at I-1 again, Shiho has gotten to be so deeply into her team at Next Storm that she quits to keep the group alive. And they did address my question of how exactly they were going to do this when we would think Shiraki's company still owns the brand. But Shiraki admits to giving it to her as a parting gift. As a cold realist, he already knows what she's going to face being branded a quitter of the group by the public, but his attitude has been one of outright maliciousness. Mayu trying her hardest to stand up for Shiho... and Shiraki ends up kind of proving his point in a way in how that only just gets turned into a hurtful minor scandal for them (didn't seem to go very far, but I wonder if the effects of that will hit them next episode in some way). Still, the deep focus on the parallels and the bond between Mayu and Shiho has been kind of unexpected, but something I've been all too pleased with. Yoppi has gotten to the point of giving her blessing too.

As far as the serach for the final concert venue goes, it's fitting for WUG's nature that it ends up being quite an unglamorous option, but one they've got to take. Only one episode from the finale, and it seems the new trio's role of de facto manual laborers was only getting drilled end deeper at that point. I like how they themselves don't ask for it, but WUG plays the role of supportive older sisters for them and gives them a short for their first idol performance. We've known what they're going to be called for a while now, but finally it comes up in show how their name of Run Girls, Run comes to be. It's all on Miyu this time, since it would be rather strange for that also to be a love hotel name. Heh.

Well, one more episode left. And since I held off on getting to this episode over the holidays, it's up right now for me.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine
                                Working...
                                X