Studio: Millepensee

First season discussion

ANN Entry
    MyAnimeList
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

Fandom Post News & Reviews

Note
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please indicate in the first line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please quote that post (or a relevant reply to that post), or include the episode title in the first line. ("Re: Episode 1")
    Last edited by EmperorBrandon; 10-10-2017, 01:38 AM.

Episode 1

I like how our apparent newcomers are not actually all WUG fans. There's one who seems to really be more into I-1 Club.

Matching scrunchies is a cute idol trope, but Yoppi makes it much more wonderful with her idea of recycling their old worn-out costumes. So adorable seeing her blushing reaction as all the girls are of course so receptive of it. Though the scrunchies also end up being the focal point of missteps this episode, as Airi carelessly leaves it behind and it's important enough to her to delay her start (I was wondering if there was going to be something of it getting stolen or tampered with, though glad they didn't go in that direction). And even though we know how much it means to the WUG girls and their bond with each other, some don't really care... It's interesting getting the rather "Well, that's nice. Moving on" kind of reaction from both of the presenters which feels like more of a realistic touch than more idealistic idol shows.

As for the I-1 club, it will be interesting to see what comes of Moka. Previously just a cute little side member, now she has the crushing pressure of being the next generation center of such a big-name group. It seems to have transformed her a little, and I'm kind of curious how much we'll continue to get of that angle.

Heh, and President Tange has roped them into something completely by surprise yet again. Definitely curious to see the roadbumps we encounter with that.

Comment

Re: Episode 1

What happened?

Oh yeah.. the studio behind Berserk 2016/17 is responsible for making WUG look the way it does. Pity, because although the WUG charm has returned, it's going to be tough stomaching the terrible visuals/animation. But I finished watching Berserk despite its atrocious aesthetics because the story was engaging. Hopefully the same holds true for this WUG.

The originals/movies weren't on par to the likes of Love Live! (or even Aikatsu) either, but they were pretty compared to this. Sad to see where this franchise has been relegated to. It deserves better, though I can understand the many reasons why it's unironically the underdog within the idol genre.

Comment

Episode 2

Why the heck is Crunchyroll still subtitling her name "Ayano" in the opening? She's Yoshino! Yoppi!

It's an interesting development to see the WUG girls moving in to live together. I really like the vibe of slice-of-life togetherness we got of the girls when they stayed at their hotel in Tokyo, so I'm pleased to get some more of that in a different way here. I wonder if the particular arrangement is going to pose some challenge for them in some way, but they've developed into such a nice tightly-knit group over the years that it wouldn't be out of place for them to keep getting along just fine. Main challenge was with with Nanami even getting to join them as she hasn't yet graduated high school yet, but she seems like she pushed her parents hard to do this. Such a tsundere for the group at this point. I have to wonder if she's all in on WUG and completely given up on Hikarizuka by now or if she's still trying to go at that. Also, I like how Airi and Mayu get to be the wife of everyone in the arrangement.

Difficulties come as they get their idol eating segment spot on a national program. Both the presenters and their comedy duo co-guests on the show are quite unkind to idols. Minyami may be known as a cute glutton, but doesn't have much depth to her shtick beyond "umee nya". They're going to have to read up on Food Wars or something for the proper reactions. Heh, but it's fun how Kaya actually gets to save the moment a bit being a little combative with the dismissive attitude of the other guests. She's kind of embarrassed and worried over it, but it ends up working out. Tange may have actually been perceptive in picking her out. Nanami might not have really managed that situation as well. But Kaya's anxieties over what she says about food actually gets to be issue... Was kind of worrying just where that was going to end up going for her, so it's nice that her friends get to eventually noticing with Kaya opening up about it before that got worse.

Ayumi's parents seem to want to rein in her idol fangirlism a little bit. I do wonder how things are going to play out there when the subject of becoming an idol herself comes up. Through her interactions with some classmates (and poor Ayumi seems to not have much in commom with them on WUG enthusiasm), we get to see some of what may be another challenge for WUG this season: virtual idols. Curious what angle we will be getting there. Hayasaka is quite a wildcard again here. Seems he may be connected to that in some way.

Comment

Originally posted by EmperorBrandon View Post
          Episode 2

Why the heck is Crunchyroll still subtitling her name "Ayano" in the opening? She's Yoshino! Yoppi!
          It would seem to be an easy correction to make...especially when you can clearly hear "Yoshino" being spoken.

The only comment I can make at this point is that it seems like Hatsune Miku or something like that is going to be held responsible for killing the human idol industry. Just a breadcrumb they've dropped.
          Avatar: Craft Lawrence from Spice and Wolf.
          Scratchy for Tama is angry.
          Casually Reviewing: ???

Comment

Re: Episode 2

Originally posted by Hitsugi Amachi View Post
            The only comment I can make at this point is that it seems like Hatsune Miku or something like that is going to be held responsible for killing the human idol industry. Just a breadcrumb they've dropped.
            I was thinking about Hatsune Miku too. Can't remember if they had something like that point in the previous series, so it was an interesting addition. I feel like this point is probably going to touch closely on Hayasaka as he is the musician-producer. It will be interesting to what his views are on producing music real vs. virtual.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

Yeah, the v-dols are likely referring to Vocaloid; though I can't help imagine virtual characters like Kizuna Ai (A.I. Channel) might also have some kind of influence (though not exactly music related). Vocaloid is the closest thing to Sharon Apple, if you discount Utauloid and other synths, so yeah, it'll be interesting to see if Hayasaka addresses this 'game-changer'.

Kind of interesting though how this is actually being commented on as some sort of 'threat' to the industry, despite being old hat. Miku on David Letterman should've already been a sign that Vocaloid or more specifically- voice-synthesizers, have already a big influence in specific music genres (mostly electronic/subgenres). It'll be just as interesting seeing the idols' reactions when they're told their voices (and only their voices) will be used behind a digital persona, as a 'v-band', if it goes that way..similar to how Kizuna Ai or a Vocaloid concert operate.

As for the episode...eyes still bleeding, but I'll just force myself to live with it. Was a little more quirky like WUG! Zoo, which isn't bad, but hopefully they'll refocus and stick more to the original series' direction.

Comment

Episode 3

I have to wonder if she's all in on WUG and completely given up on Hikarizuka by now or if she's still trying to go at that.
                Really happy to see that just as I said that with the previous episode, the point does get addressed rather interestingly here. So it seems she had felt like she had given up on that, to go all in on being an idol. As far as the musical audition goes, I was thinking just what Tange was... it's her passion and something she can still aim for while still being an idol. I do hope we get to see her make it into a musical at some point.

And Nanami's rejection for the musical comes just as some of the other girls are starting to pull off some small successes with their solo jobs after floundering out the gate on many of them. But whether they be small successes, or even in Nanami's case, not technically a success at all, they are moving forward positively on their strong points. It's interesting that the paths they take that end up working seem risky. Miyu for instance questions whether idols should do what Kaya is doing keeping a journal of their dieting (I like the way we're continuing with the development from last time rather than brushing it aside). The producers aren't sure about Airi incorporating her shark persona on the news segment (poor Airi has it so bad often, that I like that even her "disappointing start" here is actually mild and kind of OK. She's shown some growth). But the general theme is rather than trying to play it safe and act like someone they're not, they're working with their strong points.

It was amusing how Miyu got to referencing Osomatsu-san with her anime-liking shtick this episode (another thing that bombed at first, but she found a way to work it), though a bit of self-promotion by the makers of the show given it's airing on the same day from the same broadcaster.

All is not right in I-1 Land as Shiraki has to grill those suffering managers on apparent recent statistic failures. I wonder what we're going to get there. Mayu is happy of where she is at right now, but even as it doesn't concern her personally much, it's sad to see that there's still a bit of a shadow over her from quitting I-1 as far as getting jobs goes. I'm very excited her next part will seemingly be putting her with fellow former-I-1er and rival Shiho. This is a storyline I've been much hoping for, so I hope they do something interesting with it.

As far as the newcomer three goes, it's interesting to find that their WUG fandom is actually something recent, and they have regrets over not getting to experience WUG as they were first rising. The I-1 fangirl is a good friend: like how she still so good at keeping tabs even on WUG for them.

Comment

Episode 3

All is not right in I-1 Land as Shiraki has to grill those suffering managers on apparent recent statistic failures. I wonder what we're going to get there. Mayu is happy of where she is at right now, but even as it doesn't concern her personally much, it's sad to see that there's still a bit of a shadow over her from quitting I-1 as far as getting jobs goes. I'm very excited her next part will seemingly be putting her with fellow former-I-1er and rival Shiho. This is a storyline I've been much hoping for, so I hope they do something interesting with it.
                  This is the part that currently interests me most, on both fronts. Mayu's been kind of not doing much, so it will be interesting to see if they play some kind of "former I-1 member vs. dethroned I-1 center clash" or we get something more interesting.

But much more...I want to know what all of these little hints about "trouble in the idol business" are about. Since what WUG did in the past that made it much more interesting than most other idol shows is that it tried to show some of the not-so-glamorous side of the things. I wonder if any of this is reflecting the real world. Is the actual idol business also falling off a bit in the real Japan? And if not, still curious then what it is the producers of this show are doing in creating this storyline.

Comment

Re: Episode 3
                    But much more...I want to know what all of these little hints about "trouble in the idol business" are about. Since what WUG did in the past that made it much more interesting than most other idol shows is that it tried to show some of the not-so-glamorous side of the things. I wonder if any of this is reflecting the real world. Is the actual idol business also falling off a bit in the real Japan? And if not, still curious then what it is the producers of this show are doing in creating this storyline.
                    Indeed. Seems like the residuals from Yamakan's outlook/opinion/commentary on the industry is still running strong in this series. How it actually continues to unravel is as interesting as the originals breaking the mold per se. There does seem to be a real concern of the idol industry's health that's seemingly implied, and although subtle, it's hard to determine whether or not that's just a reflection based on a semi-pessimistic forecast, or just part of the story, specifically to the show, as you aptly pointed out. But if the latter, I wonder in what instance does this even apply considering I-1 is basically a jab at big idol groups like AKB48. Perhaps it's a take on the struggles of 'locodols' being brushed aside and not taken seriously versus the realities that likely involve the dark/skeevy side of the industry, ala Hollywood...

I don't know, it's probably just me, though Yoppi's gravure take wasn't outright cringeworthy, the negative implications of the 'weird' side of the industry popped into my head, especially right when the photographer prompted her for those specific shots. Didn't help the imagery with Airi and Minami second guessing Yoppi's thoughts of the take. Not saying I have anything against them 'having fun' or cringe at that kind of fanservice (I see plenty of that in other idol shows) but with the exception that's WUG, it's hard not to imagine what intentions lie behind the reality. With WUG feeling closer to reality than most idol shows, I'm stuck with the mindset in treating this more 'realistic', thus the pessimism that might befall the circumstances the girls get into.

This show isn't Love Live! Sunshine! fantastical happiness as we're all aware of; so I'm looking at this more in the perspective that the girls are almost treated like nobodys. "Act like an idol?" And yeah... That host was a dick, humiliating them like that; but that's supposedly the harsh reality (or perhaps in real life it might've been more passive aggressive) behind the business. Kind of glad they were excluded. Saves them face for 'appearing real' as opposed to 'acting' and promoting the facade despite the girls wishing they were televised.

These conflicting facets are why this series continues to entertain, but not just for pure entertainment-sake, rather, enlighten us sans the rose-colored filters. Though how much of it really is strictly based on reality is questionable, I don't doubt what we've seen these girls experienced, have actual real-life accounts they're referenced from.

Most idol show fans want to escape and be immersed with glitter and sparkles, giggles and laughter. They don't want to see or acknowledge that other side of the industry, possibly forever ignorant, or in denial they're immaculate idols can't ever be tainted or married. Nor does industry want them to know, thus their strict contractual obligations in maintaining that 'image'. Unfortunately for the demented hardcore fans, death threats are far too common a retaliative reaction from their delusions. Pity the fools.

tl;dr -
                    it's WUG!; of course it's/(they're) going to be ignored, if not disliked by the masses (who are apparently not interested in the small fry).

Comment

Originally posted by Sensuifu View Post
                      Re: Episode 3

it's WUG!; of course it's/(they're) going to be ignored, if not disliked by the masses (who are apparently not interested in the small fry).
                      True, but the suggestion we're seeing this season is that AKB48 I-1Club is also starting to be ignored. And that has much more interesting implications. If even the supergroup at the top can't get people interested, what future is there for locodols and groups like WUG?

Comment

True, but the suggestion we're seeing this season is that AKB48 I-1Club is also starting to be ignored. And that has much more interesting implications. If even the supergroup at the top can't get people interested, what future is there for locodols and groups like WUG?
                        One other thing that somewhat ties in to that implication- both WUG and I-1 were on the same set/show despite the public not knowing (other than their diehard groupies), that WUG was cut. Maybe that's not the best way of gauging their marketability, but I find it rather strange that this also coincides with the gravure shoot offered to WUG almost exclusively, otherwise the deal would've gone to I-1. Strange, as I'd think by default, I-1 would have priority/exclusivity for those opportunities. Why include a group noone really knows? What's their agenda?

And thinking back to the thoughts about 'acting more like an idol', seems to also imply that maybe there isn't enough of the I-1 members doing 'that' ('that' being the missing piece they're possibly trying to answer themselves).Perhaps both Airi and Miyu showing off some eccentricity, as well as Kaya's online blog, might be alluding to something fans might be drawn to in addition to just onstage performances.

But you're right. From what we know so far, the future is questionable for both sides... Not enough Heavy Rotation to sustain business?
                        Perhaps a resurgence of the boy bands cannibalizing their profitability? :D So instead of solely focusing on the girls' side of things, the producers are dedicating more time to the male counterparts? I don't know...

Comment

Originally posted by Sensuifu View Post
                          Strange, as I'd think by default, I-1 would have priority/exclusivity for those opportunities. Why include a group noone really knows? What's their agenda?
                          I think the explanation they kind of give for that is that Pres. Tange has the most amazing connections behind the scenes. Normally, a small idol group like WUG would not even be considered for that TV show, for example, but Tange just happens to have known the host for a very long time.

But you're right. From what we know so far, the future is questionable for both sides... Not enough Heavy Rotation to sustain business?
                          Perhaps a resurgence of the boy bands cannibalizing their profitability? :D So instead of solely focusing on the girls' side of things, the producers are dedicating more time to the male counterparts? I don't know...
                          Now that's an interesting take, which we haven't seen floated in the show yet: that the focus has turned away from female groups to boy bands, as their fangirls' buying power seems to be on the rise. Though in-show, they've already kind of hinted at blame being cast at virtual idols.

We'll have to wait and see.

Comment

Episode 4

Heh, it really stick out how in my mind much Mayushi and Shihocchi's roles in the drama seem "out of type" for them right from the start, and of course it gets revealed later that the decision seems quite intentional. They're rather fun roles to see them play, though, so it works out rather well (it's nice how Minami and Miyu get to encouraging Mayu in pointing out there actually are some similarities in the role to herself she's not thinking about). Also, for being a romance drama with these two girls apparently having a crush on the same boy character, it actually feels like most of the scenes focus on them flirting with each other... Maybe that's just me. But quite pleased how Mayu and Shiho have gotten to work together on this one.

Shiho really seems to have come a long way in her grudging respect for Mayu. It's really interesting to see how Shiho reacts to Mayu asserting herself so positively in making role, and later on how we see she feels about the effects on Mayu when she has to step back from the role later. Very interesting that the big crisis here actually manages to happen on Shiho's side, and even related to I-1 central. Going to be interesting what she the temporary comeback brings for her. It feels like she had gotten pretty comfortable building herself up locally with Next Storm, and I wonder if she'll be back to that later when Moka recovers. But there seem to be big things happening at I-1 apart from just one incident. Mayu acts like she can manage how busy she's gotten (like how Airi is really like a good wife in looking out for her), but feels like things could reach a breaking point.

Hah, and Hayamaru continues to be pretty cute. She's not doing a good job at being an inconspicuous extra when the dazzling presence of Mayu is right in front of her in the flesh. More than that, she actually gets to experience Mayu's professionalism firsthand. Really seems to have upped her inspiration to be an idol: definitely quite curious which next steps we will be getting for this side trio.

Comment

Episode 4
                              But there seem to be big things happening at I-1 apart from just one incident.
                              That's the major takeaway for me from this episode. All is not well in Megacorp Idol Land. It will be interesting to see where this is all leading.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X