X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Fall 2017] Land of the Lustrous Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    宝石の国

A show about girls made out of gemstones as they face extermination at the hands of an alien race who seek to make jewelry out of them. While they are immortal, they do require a lot of maintenance.

Airs: Saturday, October 7, 2017

Studio: Orange

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Amazon

In the distant future, a new immortal and genderless life form called Gems populate the Earth. The 28 Gems must fight against the Moon Dwellers, who attack them regularly to abduct them and to turn them into decorations. Each Gem is assigned a role, such as a fighter or a medic.

Being only 300 years old, Phosphophyllite is the youngest of the Gems and has no assignment yet. He wants to help to fight the Moon Dwellers, but is too weak and brittle for battle. One day the master of Gems, Kongou (Adamantine), assigns him the task of creating a natural history encyclopedia.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these two easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please indicate in the first line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please quote that post (or a relevant reply to that post), or include the episode title in the first line. ("Re: Episode 1") Just make sure the episode is indicated.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Violet Evergarden of KyoAni's Violet Evergarden
    Watching: Kyo Kara Maoh, Pokemon Sun and Moon, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, FRB, KYB, FGN, MIX, FIL
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

It's her time to shine.

So the animation is in CG here as these girls are all made of the gemstones they are named after, and the leader is a Buddhist monk. The focus is on Phos and Cinnabar as they are out to prove their worth, but things didn't exactly go well with Cinnabar not being a team player. That was pretty bad as there's just no story to speak of, all while there's action and Rutile doing her thing as the gemstone doctor, and I have absolutely no idea what's going on. Not to mention, the CG animation didn't really do anything for me.

With that, I'll give it another episode or two, but it stumbled really badly out of the gates as I just wasn't really feeling into it, so unless the unthinkable happens, to the drop zone it goes in all likelihood.
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
      A show about girls made out of gemstones
      I don't think they're actually "girls". They seem to androgynous, genderless characters.

Comment

Re: Episode 1

So that was... weird. For all CG, it was more fitting than some situations, but still didn't look great. And I feel like this kind of concept just requires a better approach
        My Top Anime | Manga
        My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
        My FP Reviews | Twitter
        FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 2

Diamond in the rough.

So Dia is introduced, and she's made out of diamond that is well-know for its hardness, but sadly she's of a weaker grade of diamond while Bort is as hard as they come. Bort is being such a jerk there after seeing Dia fail to take down that enemy, but the situation becomes quite dire when a new enemy infiltrates the palace while Kongo is asleep at the wheel. And from that comes a new enemy, an acidic snail that dissolves gems and renders weapons useless as they break upon contact. Phos is swallowed up by that snail, and she's dissolving away. At least things aren't as messy and disorganized as last time, while there is some good drama going on even if I'm still in the dark about a lot of things. But even so, it's a show I'm still having a hard time getting into.

So with that, I'll give it one more episode and with the cliffhanger ending that I want to see what becomes of Phos and how Bort and company are going to save and restore Phos from that snail. I probably won't keep this show, but I'm willing to give it one more shot.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

I was thinking Diamond seemed the girliest of them all in the previous episode, particularly in voice. But seeing it appear more this episode, there's still some androgyneity there as we get with all of them.

Comment

Episode 3

Pick up the pieces.

So that snail isn't so invincible after all as its weakness is the same as other snails, which is salt. With that acidic monstrosity doused in salt water, it is reduced to just a harmless little creature, but now the search a way to bring Phos back begins. Dia sure has that stubborn determination there, but in the end she managed to convince Bort that she's going to see things through. So they haul in the shell, get all the colored pieces out, and with Rutile's expertise Phos has returned to life. That was quite a silly turn of events, but nevertheless it made for a solid way to build up Dia's determination. Next time, things are about to get crazy as that little guy is going to cause a lot of commotion.

With that, while this show is a longshot to make the cut, this show has gotten much better ever since its rocky first episode. I guess I can give it one more episode at the very least, but still it has quite a long way if it is going to make the cut.

Comment

Episode 4

Hitting rock bottom.

So that slug's true form is that of a jellyfish, and Phos talks about her about the past while going to the bottom of the ocean. They also have a strong connection as that animal's shell sure is some high quality stuff. While they were getting to know each other well, unfortunately things don't end well for Phos as once again, she has been shattered by a surprise attack. Phos sure is reckless, and once again she's gotten herself in big trouble.

With that, the trial period has ended for this show, and it looks like I won't be continuing with this show as I'm making the final cuts to my watchlist. After a pretty good second and third episode, this was mostly a snoozefest until the end. That cliffhanger might get me to at least give it an extended trial, so I haven't decided to give up on it just yet.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                Widgets Magazine
                Working...
                X