X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Fall 2017] A Sister's All You Need Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    妹さえいればいい。

A show about a siscon novelist who is working to form the perfect imouto, while his younger sibling has a secret.

Airs: Sunday, October 8, 2017

Studio: Silver Link

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

This is the story about the daily life of a young siscon novelist, Itsuki Hashima with his perfect little sister Chihiro, the genius illustrator Nayuta Kani, his best friend Miyako Shirakawa and some insane partners from his publishers.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these two easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please indicate in the first line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please quote that post (or a relevant reply to that post), or include the episode title in the first line. ("Re: Episode 1") Just make sure the episode is indicated.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Violet Evergarden of KyoAni's Violet Evergarden
    Watching: Kyo Kara Maoh, Pokemon Sun and Moon, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, FRB, KYB, FGN, MIX, FIL
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

What does it mean to miss a deadline?

Itsuki sure has a dirty mind as that story proposal was flat-out rejected. And then there's Nayuki who has a vulgar mouth while not exactly looking the part. All of his co-workers gather at his place to talk about the line of work, and while it was a pretty interesting conversation with the chat room stuff, it gets too eerie for its own good. I do like those references there Haganai, Oregairu, and Oreimo while Itsuki has a Mahouka figure seeing that the female leads in those shows have some sort of brother complex. Anyway, those incestual vibes were just nauseating, and hopefully it focuses more on the story rather than on Itsuki's dirty fantasies.

So with that, the usual trial rules apply. I'll be watching a second Sunday show for sure between this and Anime-gataris, so it will kind of depend on it if is better than Anime-gataris or not.
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

That opening scene was kinda brilliant, but of course this show is inevitably going to devolve into a siscon show when the truth about his "brother" is revealed. It was a little weird to have the first episode be so uneventful.
      My Top Anime | Manga
      My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
      My FP Reviews | Twitter
      FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 2

Writing in the nude.

Backstories are told here as Miyako met Itsuki in college, and not long afterwards Itsuki dropped out. And then there's Nayuta having to strip down in order to write as for some reason, she can only write in the nude. Pretty much, this show continues to carry on with Itsuki's dirty fantasies as he will do whatever it takes before he can write the perfect little sister. At least it wasn't all over the place like the first episode, but still it just isn't cutting it.

I'll give it one more episode, but it doesn't look like it will stick.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

Heh, Itsuki and Nayuta are both proponents of the kind of "method" style of novel writing just like we got of Yamada Elf in Eromanga Sensei. Itsuki is caught in a particularly embarrassing moment trying to create his sister character in the bathroom. And Nayuta can't get into her actual writing unless she's in the nude. The OP foretold some sort of nudist tendencies for her.

All of the main characters' bonds are being framed rather interestingly. There's something in each other that they want, that means nothing to the person who has it. They all kind of got started with each other on a bad foot in someway or another, but it developed into something nice. Nayuta and Miyako were particularly heartwarming. Nayuta starts off kind of coldly viewing Miyako as a rival, but once she gets some of her painful past to Miyako in an attempt to assert her position, Miyako just responds so warmly and genuinely, wishing she could have been there with her. Just can't help but accept that, and the two seem on such sweet, friendly terms to this day. Though it partly seems to work out so well for them since Miyako is reluctant to admit any feelings. Do wonder if things

I'm also really like the development we already get even with Haruto, and how interesting and deep the contrast he has with Itsuki. There's some neat details over how it's not just his writing he pays attention, but how he crafts his public persona as an author. Heh, and trying to do something with that's comforting for fujoshi. Interesting how it's pointed out that he's going well beyond his target audience doing something like that, since he writes the same kind of male otaku-centric work that Itsuki does, but it's a point in trying to have something that even someone out that niche would respond well to.

Comment

Episode 3

Where North meets South.

Itsuki is going on vacation as he gets ideas for his next work. First, he goes down to Okinawa with Miyako and Nayuta as the heater in his apartment is broken. There, they take in the sites, and end up at the beach where it's too cold this time of year, but that didn't bother those girls, even though neither brought their swimsuits. Then it's off to Hokkaido with Setsuna as he snuck off to attend the Snow Festival there, and for Itsuki is was mostly a food tour as he would skip the festival. Thus, his new work had everybody having a great time on the beach when a blizzard strikes due to somebody's wizardry. Setsuna sure did get in big trouble, but at least Itsuki is pretty humble about the situation wanting something worthy to be illustrated by him.

So with that, I guess I'll give it one more episode. Seems unlikely it makes the cut, but this show has improved after a really awful first episode, so I'll give it one last opportunity.

Comment

Re: Episode 3

Nayu seems to take absolutely any chance she can get to be in the nude, and to get Miyako in the nude with her. I like that even with that seemingly blatant fanservice, it links directly into Miyako's issues as Nayu notices her "toned" body which came of years of her doing karate. Really interesting what we're getting on Miyako's feelings of directionlessness. Also interesting is what we get of her earnestly trying to probe Itsuki's feelings for Nayu's sake.

Funny how they can just go to Okinawa all of the sudden (at least Miyako is there to question it), then all of the sudden Itsuki is even in Hokkaido too. Bringing the experience to his work makes for something that is quite dissonant in weather changes, but when there's magic involved, anything goes, right? Quite curious what we're going to get of Itsuki's family life, after another charming bit with Chihiro at the end. There hasn't been much focus on even Chihiro at this point.

Comment

Episode 4

Remember to pay your taxes.

Here comes Ashley, an accountant who looks a lot younger than she really is and is another ideal vision of Itsuki's perfect little sister. She's quite a handful as she's bummed that Itsuki isn't spending enough, and on top of that he's buying a lot of figures and H games for his research. And then there's the editor Toki making a visit over Valentine's Day chocolates. Quite an informative episode that was about how taxes work, especially for somebody who is self-employed like Itsuki and doesn't need much in the way of resources and other expenses. The Japanese version of Uncle Sam certainly is frowning upon all this.

So with that, the trial period is over, and while this show has gotten better after an awful first episode, it's not enough to make the cut. So four episodes is all I need for this show at the moment.

Comment

Re: Episode 4

Heh, Itsuki was suspicious about Nayuta's chocolate. And apparently going by Miyako, he was right to be suspicious. Reminds me of Kuroko from Railgun.

Oh wow, tax accountant? I would not have expected that was what the blonde was, and she's an extremely fun one at that. The issue of taxes coming up reminds me of the news headlines about Touno Mamare. Probably best for this author to make sure he has a reliable professional. Well, one that has no mercy about digging up every little embarrassing secret that could be a potential tax write-off. Thanks to Ashley, we get to see just how deep the fetish goes, with the embarssing titles explaining the games right off the bat (Itsuki really doesn't have much he needs to add in most cases).

I love it when authors are self-deprecating. Itsuki really seems to overstate the importance of Kobato and Maria, though. I also love how they played with both the OP and ED this time. A Chivalry of a Failed Knight (another wonderful LN adaptation by the same director/studio team) parody is perfect(ly sexy) for Ashley.

Comment

Episode 5

Itsuki truly has an editor that will stop at nothing to get him to finish the novel by the deadline. Toki outright admits even the law is no concern to him as he is able to track him down after he runs away so impeccably. Heh, the ultimate solution reminds me of Shirobako, though it's presented even more harshly here. I like that what eventually inspires Itsuki to really start writing is Haruto having come by... and Itsuki gets a reminder that he's going to fall behind him if he gives up. The loving encouragement of family (Chihiro! still waiting for some more focus on "him"), friends, and fans plays a part too.

The "research" escapade with Puriketsu was quite surreal this time. I figured something was going to be up with the way Puriketsu was so happy to ogle asses in the mixed bath. Playing that straight would be out of character for the show. Puriketsu is such an open, affable fellow. Itsuki on the other hand... I was amused how the terror was so much that it became a Nausicaa parody (Oonuma knows how to have fun with this kind of thing). It was also interesting what we get of the changing scene before the bath too, with them sizing up their bodies. It's the kind of jokes we usually only get with females in otaku-oriented anime, so the equal opportunity we have here is refreshing.

Great to see, after he finally finishes the volume and things seem to be going successfully enough, Itsuki hits a big milestone: manga adaptation! I wonder if that new girl we've seen is perhaps going to be his manga adaptation author. Really curious what's going to happen with that.

Comment

Episode 6

Heh, so the new girl is the manga adaptation person I expected, and one Itsuki is quite impressed with not only in her manga drawing skills but even her passion for the little sister ideal. Everything lines up so well (down to even having the same VA), that I wondered if there was going to be an Eromanga Sensei reference, and there it was, cut off at the end... Haha.

Puriketsu really needs to be at least a bit more socially inhibited about his true obsession. It doesn't seem there's much doubts about Chihiro's gender, but we're still not getting much background on "him" at this point. Well, maybe a little bit of an interesting tidbit about Itsuki's family past later with the game they played.

It's interesting that we get a different of the kind of "games for writers" that they played in the first episode. This one is filled with topics that could be landmines. Nayuta's bad memories of school lead her in quite the dark direction when she's tasked with coming up with something in that setting. It's interesting seeing Miyako react after the game's over to a card that would have really made things awkward if it came up in the game for her.

It's a kind of nice how we had the friends gathered to celebrate the airing of Haruto's anime adaptation. I couldn't help but feel like the Kuusure treatment was coming... It's interesting how the lull into a false sense of security at first with Haruto saying he had gotten the copy in as if he'd already watched it (and thus the implication it might be fine). I don't think I could stand following Twitter reactions even to something that was good. That was just plain brutal, and we get from the general mood that they felt down that some of the criticisms were accurate. Haruto has really not watched it, having had a bad feeling that the shirobako was delivered to him so close to airing. All of the excuses Haruto puts up as a front melt away quickly in a rather emotional. He got me rather teary eyed, and of course Miyako is the most wonderfully empathetic soul out there, as we got before with Nayuta. Even not being an author herself, she really feels it. That was really quite powerful.
                      Last edited by EmperorBrandon; 11-28-2017, 07:56 PM.

Comment

So, is this show worth watching? I am coming from watching Eromanga Sensei and being quite disappointed. Understand that my objections to ES were not about the siscon per se, but how it was handled in the plot. Namely, the MC was determined to be with his sister, no matter how illogical, anti-common sense, or just plain no sense whatsoever it made based on how the story was presented. As a result, I am reluctant to spend time watching any "imouto" series after I feel like I was burned by ES.

I am not into siscon for the sake of siscon, but I can tolerate it given a decent plot narrative. And yes, I know, it's just anime, further it's just anime comedy, so we have to wrap our minds around that. But still, everyone has their preferences. So back to my original question, is this any better, given my personal perferences?
                        Avatar: Tanya Degurechaff from Saga of Tanya the Evil

Comment

Originally posted by Gildor View Post
                          I am not into siscon for the sake of siscon, but I can tolerate it given a decent plot narrative. And yes, I know, it's just anime, further it's just anime comedy, so we have to wrap our minds around that. But still, everyone has their preferences. So back to my original question, is this any better, given my personal perferences?
                          While they both focus on light novel creators, this series is not really much like Eromanga Sensei. For one things, the characters are young adults, either in college or at least just past high school age. The male protagonist's little sister interest in pretty much played to parody into how deeply he goes into it with his works, but as of now, there's little indication they're getting into taboo relationships in "real life". Love triangle now doesn't involve little sisters at all, and while there does seem an apparent little-sister-in-hiding, she hasn't gotten much focus yet and I feel like it's unlikely to go in an irritating Eromanga-sensei-esque direction when she does get it. This so far is more about how they move each other as authors (in case of the girl who isn't an author, it gets her thinking about what she wants to do). There's some fanservice comedy which I find fun but also deeper moments. I'm not sure if you've seen Haganai (I Don't Have Many Friends), but this is from the same author, and between my enjoyment of both of them I think he's quite capable.

Comment

Originally posted by EmperorBrandon View Post
                            While they both focus on light novel creators, this series is not really much like Eromanga Sensei. [...]This so far is more about how they move each other as authors (in case of the girl who isn't an author, it gets her thinking about what she wants to do). There's some fanservice comedy which I find fun but also deeper moments. I'm not sure if you've seen Haganai (I Don't Have Many Friends), but this is from the same author, and between my enjoyment of both of them I think he's quite capable.
                            OK, thanks! This seems like something I might be able to get into. It has been awhile, but I did enjoy Haganai (1st season anyway as I never got around to watching the 2nd). I have no objections about fan service, so it seems like no worries there. So, yes, all around this sounds like it's worth checking out. Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by EmperorBrandon View Post
                              Love triangle now doesn't involve little sisters at all, and while there does seem an apparent little-sister-in-hiding, she hasn't gotten much focus yet and I feel like it's unlikely to go in an irritating Eromanga-sensei-esque direction when she does get it.
                              Now that I have watched a few episodes, I see what you mean about an "apparent little-sister-in-hiding". While I certainly hope this does not tread the same path as Eromanga Sensei, the irony is that if it did, ASAYN would be more justified from a logical and story-based sense than ES ever was.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X