X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Fall 2017] Anime-gataris Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    アニメガタリズ

A show about a high school club that's focused on researching anime, and its battle against a student council that is determined to disband it.

Airs: Sunday, October 8, 2017

Studio: WAO World

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

The anime centers on Minoa Asagaya, a new high school student in Sakaneko Private High School. Despite being a novice to anime, Minoa's classmate Arisu Kamiigusa invites her to make an "anime research club" at school. Through conversations with her classmate Miko Kouenji, as well as various anime-loving upperclassmen, Minoa gradually gets hooked on anime. While they stand against the student council's continuous efforts to disband their club, and they ignore the impending end of the world, they talk about anime, whether in Akiba, or in real-life "sacred place" anime settings, or the hot springs.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these two easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please indicate in the first line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please quote that post (or a relevant reply to that post), or include the episode title in the first line. ("Re: Episode 1") Just make sure the episode is indicated.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Chise Hatori, The Ancient Magus' Bride
    Currently Watching: Fate/Apocrypha, Ajin, ID-0, Overlord, JBA-SC, OPC, DBZ-K, HXH, NAR-S
    Simulcasts: ALT, WBM, SOM-3, YYY-2, B3B-2, UMR-2, 3GL-2, KBW-2, AMB, UQH, IYK, GLT, BLS, KHK, AGT, NJU, CRZ, JBC, IDM-CGT, OSF, OYP
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

New to anime.

This is a show that intentionally makes all the characters tropey with Minoa being a clumsy girl and Kamiigusa being the ojou-sama, along with a jock, a chuunibyou, a bookworm, and others. Kamiigusa sure is into anime as she asked Minoa out of the blue to join the anime club that's in need of members, and she's very passionate about it. And then in the clubroom, they find a cat, and it turns out that it can talk. Here is a show that isn't afraid to make fun of itself and those references to other shows like Gatchaman, Summer Wars, and Evangelion are pretty amusing to hear about.

Anyway, this figures to be a fun show moving forward even if it was unremarkable and cliched. Nevertheless, the usual trial rules apply, so like the cat said in the preview, I'm not dropping it after one episode.
    Last edited by Buckeye; 10-08-2017, 12:00 PM.
    Currently Watching: Fate/Apocrypha, Ajin, ID-0, Overlord, JBA-SC, OPC, DBZ-K, HXH, NAR-S
    Simulcasts: ALT, WBM, SOM-3, YYY-2, B3B-2, UMR-2, 3GL-2, KBW-2, AMB, UQH, IYK, GLT, BLS, KHK, AGT, NJU, CRZ, JBC, IDM-CGT, OSF, OYP
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

Hah, I love how much a bizarre mash-up that first sequence is, Gundam, then Nadia transforming Sailor Moon-style into a Creamy Mami-like singing idol magical girl, with the old man from Heidi of the Alps around and later cherubs from the Dog of Flanders. Probably quite a lot of other references I didn't recognize right away. But that kind of goes into the point we get later about how Minoa can't remember just what exactly it is that she saw. Haha.

Also quite the over-the-top ojousama with Kamiigusa, summoning her butler (and maids) if need be so effortlessly. But she's even more over-the-top in just how much she can let out of her anime enthusiasm. It's a while before Minoa can even get much of a word in. Do wonder how they're going to get along with the other girl who clearly seems to be a fan (another big mash-up, with light novel like titles, in what she's into).

There also seems to be some supernatural element with the cat and beret. Curious what that will bring.

Comment

This is the kind of show I really want to love, or at least enjoy as a guilty pleasure. But as much as I want to passionately discuss anime with Kamiigusa all day, I don't really like any of the other characters, any other characteristic of her, the fact that there's apparently some fantastical components, the lousy production values, or the sudden CG idol scene that took up most of the OP for some reason. A shame.
        My Top Anime | Manga
        My Collection
        My FP Reviews
        FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Originally posted by EmperorBrandon View Post

Probably quite a lot of other references I didn't recognize right away. But that kind of goes into the point we get later about how Minoa can't remember just what exactly it is that she saw. Haha.
          amusing so far.. That jab at Bakuon!! though... :D
          Liked that reference of Time Travel Shoujo too (hah, that cheesy fence jump; surprised seeing this show mentioned though; I thought nobody watched it).
          Tons of other references too - Kumamiko, Shirobako, MariMite, Tanaka-kun, to name a few not already mentioned.
          And yeah, how can Minoa, or better yet, resident-otaku Kamiigusa, forget the show they're thinking about is Macross. Okay, maybe it isn't but there's a strong resemblance to it.
          Like the 00s-esque OP though, pretty catchy.

Comment

I like the girls, Minoa is cute and clueless, and Kamigusa when she gets going about anime is priceless (rich girl nonsense notwithstanding; sorry, best over-the-top oujo-sama remains Shichijō Aria from Seitokai Ykuindomo - if you're going to go over-the-top, at least have a sense of realism about it make it all the more effective when it happens).

And so we have a talking cat, a seemingly magic beret, which Minoa is wearing in the ED. Heh, given the nature of anime, it wasn't until reading the comments here that I became certain that Minoa's dream wasn't about one anime, but a mish-mash of at least a dozen.

So, paint me hooked to see where this goes.
            My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
            1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
            2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
            3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

Episode 2

The gang's all here.

The references continue here and it's pretty funny to hear them. It begins with a recruitment drive where Arisu is tapping into her inner-Haruhi and getting herself and Minoa into wearing bunny girl outfits to recruit new members just like with what Haruhi did to Mikuru. Not to mention, the similar BGM to go along with it. In the end, they got their members in Miko, the bookworm who loves to read light novels, Erika the gal, Kaikai the chuunibyou, and Nakano the hardcore otaku. Just when the club is ready to take off, they face a setback when the student council president takes their clubroom away. Once again, the references continue starting with that Haruhi reference, as well as all of the similar-sounding titles to shows like Re:Zero, Sword Art Online, and Bungo Stray Dogs.

So with that, the trial will continue, but it looks like it will make it over the other Sunday show this season. I'm not quite ready to call it just yet.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

Kamiigusa is going over the top even in Minoa's dreams. She shouldn't be using Haruhi as a role model, but it is the kind of thing that would catch the attention of the ultra-otaku. Though I wonder how they weren't shut down quickly like the actual Haruhi (maybe that's what's up with the "twist" at the end). Heh, and the way Sebas is summoned continues to be amusing, most of all in the spot where Kamiigusa gets them to change on the spot. The similar BGM tone was a neat touch too. I wonder if there have been in other parodies in the music that just hadn't caught my attention yet. That feels more unusual than visual and dialogue references in anime full of references.

Heh, and Minoa had never realized those ridiculously long titles Kouenji was bookworming over were related to anime. Minoa's all getting really overwhelmed, as we find Kouenji and pretty much everyone else they get to recruit being on a whole other level of fandom from Minoa who hasn't even dug into the stuff much yet. Kouenji has a lot to get into discussion with Kamiigusa about, representing the lovers of the source material side of things but just as passionate. If she likes the voice of "Am" from "Ru:ZERO", then she should go home with Minoa someday and hear what her sister sounds like.

Kouenji is rather moe over how she feels about that passion, worrying that she grates on people when it goes argumentative. And things actually do get to a bitter point when she's back at it with Kamiigusa later. It's sweet how Minoa tries to jump in and calm things down but is rather awkwardly disorganized in tries to do it, wondering what she's even talking about in the end as she gets random with her sister examples. It feels more raw in that she doesn't really know exactly what she should say, but is really heartfelt about trying to say something regardless. Kind of reminds me a bit of Sae from Magic User's Club.

Ah, and she had gotten to calling them by name all of the sudden too: Arisu and Miko. I hope beyond this, we get some more of those two getting along with each other's differences. We could have a nice bond of three there. As far as the other members go, it is also nice to see the chuuni is actually capable of talking normally.

Comment

Originally posted by EmperorBrandon View Post

Kouenji is rather moe over how she feels about that passion, worrying that she grates on people when it goes argumentative. And things actually do get to a bitter point when she's back at it with Kamiigusa later.
                  Pretty amusing how they depicted the truth; first world issues among the fandom. :D Though both Kamiigusa and Kouenji are right to an extent, I'd apply their arguments on a case by case basis. It's not always the source is better than the adaptation, much to Kouenji's defense. But opinions and all... Not saying Kamiigusa is entirely right with her assertions either, but there are times when an adaptation can improve/compliment the source..(i.e. one aspect being the technical/aesthetic perspective..) Some things are conveyed better via animation (setting the tone just by colors alone, music, etc...) In some instances, even the artwork might be improved on.

Amusing that the gal and the jock are diehard anime fans as well. Almost feels like taking the Breakfast Club characters and making them anime nerds. One of them better throw a fist pump at the end.

Comment

Originally posted by Sensuifu View Post
                    Amusing that the gal and the jock are diehard anime fans as well.
                    Yeah, there's a wide variety of types in this group. I also took note of how unusual it was to see otaku of those two. I suppose ojousama are not commonly ones either, but they come up every now and then since it's fun to see what comes of their extravagance when directed towards those hobbies.

Comment

Episode 3

Get the club off the ground.

So the student council has shot down attempts at approving the anime club for years, and it's looking to be the same with this attempt even though all of the requirements have been met. But thanks to Kaikai's passionate speech, the student council president changed her mind and it's now approved. No wonder the club room had been found in that condition as any attempts at reviving the club has been met with rejection by the president. In the meantime, it's off to Akihabara where Minoa is introduced to cosplay and anime merchandise, and that was quite a nice thing to see. The references just keep on coming like Macross Delta and Aria the Scarlet Ammo. Then the three-episode rule of watching anime before dropping if it is not worthwhile, I do take a similar approach to that when deciding what to watch, and I like the Madoka Magica reference in that.

With that, it looks like this will make the cut as the second Sunday show.

Comment

Re: Episode 3

Some interesting development between Erika and the SC president. Curious to see how that pans out, though I'm guessing the president might've had some bad experience in the past, likely as part of an anime club. Now she's probably reacting to those bad memories...

Pretty fun seeing Minoa grow more interested in anime, without the obnoxious derision sometimes associated with overzealous members. Everyone seems to be encouraging her into the fandom, not scaring her away from it; although Kamiigusa's enthusiasm (as a gag of course) does overwhelm her.

hah, being meta with the 3-ep rule. Seeing how my viewing preferences vary, that might not always apply. Luckily for this show, this had a greater chance of sticking after two episodes. For a lot of shows I may not even bother with the first, or if I do and doesn't compel to watch more, so much for that 3-ep trial period.

Comment

Re: Episode 3

Heh, it was fun hearing the Akiba's Trip anime opening play in the background in the store.

I also liked them being meta with the supposed three-episode rule. I get Arisu and Miko's irritation over not giving good slice-of-life stuff a chance. The best part of that was how they were really getting to bond over something for the first time, when we saw in the previous episode they had their differences.

Ah, and seems like Miko was probably referencing Big Sis Maid's speech from Maoyuu as far as her favorite goes. Not bad.

So it seems like Minoa was not going to miraculously excite the crowd by managing to make something out of her fumbling. Ultimately she did end up being critical, though, as being open and good-natured inspired Kai who actually had seem to have gotten to the point he felt no one would want to listen to him. And he did have something a little inspiring to say in the very end apart from the usual overly self-indulgent chuuni stuff. I definitely like how they got something more than that to get them over the finish line, as Kai's fumbling ends up leading to the ultimate BL fuel for fujoshi passions (seems like Miko's tastes might go there too ) and getting some female votes they probably wouldn't have gotten with just Kai's speech.

Count me in as also being very curious about Erika's past with the student council president as well. Seems there may be something there that drives her enmity of the anime club, and I'm quite interested what will come of that.

Comment

Re: Episodes 2 & 3

That was just a lot of meta fun, and general fun, crammed into these two episodes. You knew we were going to have that happen (anime club, duh), but doing the bunny girl recruitment schtick from The Melancholy of Haruji Suzumiya, complete with a very similar background music...LOL! The references fly fast, furious and constant throughout.

Over all, we're no closer to find out about the talking cat, the significance of the missing beret, and we've now thrown in an anti-anime prez, who has a background with Erika.

Definitely makes the 3 episode cut.
                            My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
                            1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
                            2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
                            3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

Episode 4

This club is good for something.

While the club has been approved, Tsubaki is not giving up the fight and will do everything to get it shut down. They take a jab at them when Arisu spends a lot of money buying all those anime BDs from Numazon, and in order to stay afloat they must make a contribution to another club. And then Erika's backstory is explained as anime is what really helped her improve her outlook in life as she felt pretty lonely while studying abroad, and her passion is really something. So in the end, they decide to tear a page out of the Love Live playbook, though instead of becoming idols, they make fancy costumes for the school's idol club. They blew quite a lot of money on it, but they won the approval of the students to stay afloat. That sure was nice to see everybody pull together like that, though Tsubaki is starting to get annoying with what figures to be recurring attempts to kill the club.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X