X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Fall 2017] Love Live! Sunshine!! 2nd Season Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    ラブライブ!サンシャイン!! 2

The second season of the Love Live! spinoff series, Love Live! Sunshine!!

Airs: Saturday, October 7, 2017

Studio: Sunrise

MyAnimeList.net
    Anime News Network
    Official website
    Crunchyroll

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these two easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please indicate in the first line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please quote that post (or a relevant reply to that post), or include the episode title in the first line. ("Re: Episode 1") Just make sure the episode is indicated.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    Last edited by GingaDaiuchuu; 12-23-2017, 07:29 AM.
    My Top Anime | Manga
    My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
    My FP Reviews | Twitter
    FPR Episodes | iTunes

Episode 1

Good start! Hopefully it will keep it up and this season can make up for the disappointment of the first season. Of course, it was never disappointing enough for me to drop it, but it wasn't as good as I know this franchise can be, so I'm hoping this season is the best yet!
    My Top Anime | Manga
    My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
    My FP Reviews | Twitter
    FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Re: Episode 1

So, we start a new season, and right into the drama. Also, nice princess carry, Kanan.

Avatar: Shimarin from Laid Back Camo.

Comment

Episode 2

While I would've preferred the metal song, I'll take one composed by Buddha.
        My Top Anime | Manga
        My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
        My FP Reviews | Twitter
        FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 3

It keeps being said the computer animation used in this series for the group dance sequences is improving over time, but proving that through the parsimonious reuse of some old animation felt as peculiar here as it did for me in the second series of the original Love Live. Anyway, the rest of the episode was pretty fun, including the final resolution of how to get from the first performance to the second.

Comment

Episode 4

Poor Dia just wants to be as moe as the rest, but Ruby got all those genes. She's destined to forever be the adult of the group, a difficult spot for someone in a group that exists exclusively to be cute, but a necessarily one as without her they'd probably be pretty fucked.
            My Top Anime | Manga
            My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
            My FP Reviews | Twitter
            FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 5

I understand in an abstract sort of way how many nudging invitations are seen in Love Live to pair the characters off with each other, although I have to admit this isn't something I obsess over myself; I guess it's a case of there being enough other things in the series for me... Yoshiko and Riko bonding over a stray dog had me thinking this was an unusual pairing no matter how it was viewed, but then I did have to consider other people might have already imagined it. Perhaps it was just a matter of thinking the group's chunibyo would make for an odd couple no matter who she interacted with.

Comment

Episodes 6-7

The seventh episode picking up not long after the sixth ended did remind me Aqours's stage outfits had particularly caught my eye for some reason. From there, though, I hadn't quite expected the latest "get this many applications by this time" deadline to turn out the way it did... The "so close and yet so far" development had me thinking I still shouldn't set my expectations yet, however. The regular students insisting "if you can't save the school, put it in the history books!" seemed a positive way to keep the story moving.

Comment

Episode 8

The "big fail" arc continues. Not only does Aquors fail to save their school from closing, Saint Snow ends up not qualifying for the Love Live finals in rather embarrassing fashion (I was wondering why they skipped the performance, but I guess they don't want to animate something that doesn't end happily...) And it's something that really gets Leah particularly hard on herself and irritable. Even though the Aquors girls thought of leaving them alone to give them some space (understandably feeling awkward when they're advancing and Saint Snow is now not), I figured they would end up coming across them by chance. I knew who we were going to see in that restaurant...

Ruby in particular completely takes to being empathetic with Leah from the very beginning, even feeling uneasy when the rest of the girls back away from meeting back up with Saint Snow. And it does seem she really wants to get something across to Leah, too. We can see how strong it is for her when we have her timidly shy self approaching someone with a rather caustic personality. Really sweet how it plays out after she confirms her and Dia's feeling for each other. It's really neat we're apparently going to have a bit of group crossover with Ruby and Leah singing since I don't remember that happening with the original Love Live group and their rivals (HonoTsuba was such a fun pair that there should have been one). Ruby and Leah both have not really gotten much of focus (in the latter case, her sister seemed more of the face of the group with her more often being silent), so them getting their own little arc feels rather worthwhile.

Comment

Re: Episodes 6-7

Well hey, at least giving them such hope and then introducing the despair only found from getting so close keeps things from getting too easy with everything working out. With this show, I wouldn't put it past them to still save the school in the end because the applications after they actually win the Love Live are so overwhelming that they need to keep Uranohoshi its own school. Maybe there will be more disappointing surprises, but it has to all look up in the end.
                    My Top Anime | Manga
                    My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                    My FP Reviews | Twitter
                    FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Re: Episode 8

Saint Snow gets to experience the same level of despair so soon after Aqours, maybe even worse. Aqours failed at the thing they cared most about, but at least they won at one of their two pursuits. Saint Snow only had one of them, and they lost at that while the group that they considered so inferior earlier on won at it. Worst of all, half of Saint Snow won't get another chance, and her partner has no intention of continuing if they can't do it together. For once, Ruby gets to be the mature one sharing words of wisdom, instead of just being the little mouse she usually is.
                      My Top Anime | Manga
                      My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                      My FP Reviews | Twitter
                      FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Re: Episode 7

Originally posted by GingaDaiuchuu View Post
                        With this show, I wouldn't put it past them to still save the school in the end because the applications after they actually win the Love Live are so overwhelming that they need to keep Uranohoshi its own school.
                        Yeah, as much as they drill it in being final here (though at 98 applications it really feels like the powers that be are being dicks: I kind of wondered if they were going to go as far as end it on 99...), I still get the feeling things are open to change with success in the Love Live. Honestly I hope they can do an interesting ending that doesn't go in that direction.

Comment

Episode 9

This was fantastic. Leah gets to be so wonderfully moe this episode. And I love how Ruby's first year friends get to bear witness to her unexpected aggressive side when it comes to her sister. Speaking of unexpected sides, for a brief moment, Yoshiko acts like a normal polite human being. Even before we saw her friends being amazed, I was thinking "what the heck was that?" Haha... Even though this was seemingly about the little sisters doing it on their own, Yoshiko and Hanamaru staying behind with them worked nicely. They're not really the types that have gotten to strike out on their own like their seniors as much either, and they all have something in common with Leah as far as their various social difficulties go.

I like that it kind of seems like Leah and Ruby are going to have a hard time, with all the intimidating women in suits. But on a closer look, the suited women all have kind, patient demeanors. And Ruby summons to courage to represent them so calmly and honestly. Leah, who's always had difficulty around to peers, gets to respond to the two girls interested so sweetly. Pretty awesome to see how Saint Snow and Aquors get to come together on this, first the little sisters part, but then all of a sudden the big sisters and absolutely everyone. Leah is giving up on carrying on Saint Snow after all, but I knew it was because it was confident she could create something new herself. Would be nice if we end up getting to see those classmates that followed her around as a part of the new school idols.

Comment

Re: Episode 9

Ruby has often been one of my least favorite girls in Aqours, so I'm glad she has these episodes to become a far stronger character with a ton of heart. At the end of the day I think the main plot of Sunshine probably will have fit into one season, but spending a few episodes on side plots like this is definitely worth it, even if not all of the less critical episodes have been as engaging.

I'll mention as always, though, that I hate fat-shaming jokes directed toward perfectly thin, petite young girls. At least this wasn't a whole episode about it.
                            My Top Anime | Manga
                            My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                            My FP Reviews | Twitter
                            FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 10

Comments along the lines of "the series must follow through on having the school close or I'll formally register my disappointment" do leave me a little leery, but even with Yoshiko jumping to conclusions once, Chika and others seeming to have got to acceptance of what they say will be happening did get my attention. Otherwise, this episode did sort of feel like slowing down in advance of the push to the conclusion, as cute as the togetherness of the third-year girls building into a full group trip seemed. We did, though, get to see two male characters from the noses down; that definitely caught my attention too.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X