X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Fall 2017] Two Car Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    つうかあ

A show set on an island where girls are battling each other in the sport of sidecar racing in pairs.

Airs: Saturday, October 7, 2017

Studio: Silver Link

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

Two Car follows high schoolers Yuri Miyata and Megumi Meguro as they battle six other rival pairs in the sport of motorcycle sidecar racing.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these two easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please indicate in the first line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please quote that post (or a relevant reply to that post), or include the episode title in the first line. ("Re: Episode 1") Just make sure the episode is indicated.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Violet Evergarden of KyoAni's Violet Evergarden
    Watching: Kyo Kara Maoh, Pokemon Sun and Moon, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, FRB, KYB, FGN, MIX, FIL
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

No matter the hardship, always get back up.

The concept is pretty interesting with another one of those cute girls doing manly things type of show as this time, the girls are doing sidecar racing. Anyway, an exhibition race is going on while a story is being told, and that wasn't exactly the right way to set things up with the racing action interrupting the flow of the story. While Yuri and Megumi have quite an interesting relationship going on, I didn't really get the big picture as they had their issues, they learned under a superstar, and then he left for England when they were taught everything they had to learn from him.

So with that, I'll submit this to the usual rules about my trial period. Seeing that Saturdays are getting crowded that this one is lower on the totem pole, but I'll see where it is at with another episode of this.
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

I guess I don't get the appeal of the unseen character in this context. As seemingly the only male in this world, it seems like they'd do that to make him the self-insert role, but not if he won't be in the rest of the series. Anyway, I didn't really like anything about the main cast or find any interest in the racing, so this is an easy drop.
      My Top Anime | Manga
      My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
      My FP Reviews | Twitter
      FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Re: Episode 1

Almost like a spiritual successor to YUA!'s Miyuki and Natsumi, only more focused on racing and conversely, the two leads are obviously dysfunctional.
        Guess a season every now and then needs three shows sporting girls on bikes.

Comment

Episode 2

An ojousama iinchou with a cool delinquent... they had my attention from the start. I did not expect we would already be getting reference to marriage, or that they would be a focal point of this episode. Hoping their drama gets resolved interestingly.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

So Megumi and Yuri aren't the only dysfunctional couple creating a scene. It's drama, but it works for something like this, else it'd be nothing more than a documentary. Pacing seems just right given there's the other teams to flesh out.

Hah, love how Ai's enthusiasm completely wanes the moment the camera switches off. Looks like having to constantly shout like that is exhausting. Curious if she'll ever miss a beat with her Good Morning Vietn' er Miyakejima! :D Also wondering if that Isle of Man racing poster was a reference to a-ha's Take on Me.

Still enjoying the attention to detail behind the technical stuff, similar to how YUA! was with their machines; and it's looking like there'll be a nice amount of character development behind all the teams. Should be interesting to see how each will be focused on considering there's plenty enough behind Megumi and Yuri alone.

Comment

Originally posted by Sensuifu View Post
              Also wondering if that Isle of Man racing poster was a reference to a-ha's Take on Me.
              It is like you, who are a vocalo-p (vocaloid music producer), to be reminded of the music video. ^_^
              Another factor which can be taken into account is that some real-life vintage posters for the Isle of Man TT Race were drawn in the styles similar to that in the first place.

The title 'Two Car' is wordplay on 'tu-ka', a Japanese phrase which means that Person A and Person B understand and communicate each other perfectly well.
              (Taking a safety measure, I did not add macrons to 'tu-ka'. I wonder whether Mr Beveridge has already tweaked the forums text-encoding-wise to the level where posters can post letters with diacritics on the forums.)

Coach Tanahashi's voice was done by Miki Shin'ichiro, and it is funny, because Miki also did the voice of the protagonist of Initial D, which is a well-known racing anime and he also did the voice of Suzunoki Rin's father in Bakuon!!, who is another motorcyclist whose face cannot be seen by the audience.
              Makita Ai's voice was done by Tokui Sora, and it, too, is funny, because she also does the voice of the on-the-spot announcer in Future Card Buddyfight.

Katakura Mao's being described as a well-favoured girl who wears men's clothes is a reference to the Takarazuka Revue, in which male roles are played by actresses. Mao's way of speaking is a parody of the way of speaking of male characters in Takarazuka shows. The Takarazuka Revue has its headquarters in Hyogo, and Mao and Hitomi's school is in Hyogo.

Kawamata Kanae's wearing the octopus hair ornament and Kuribayashi Tamae's wearing the takoyaki hair ornament are an 'Englishman, an Irishman and a Scotsman'-ish joke based on that takoyaki was invented in Osaka and is popular in Osaka.
              Kanae's criticising the announcer for her wordplay, too, is an 'Englishman, an Irishman and a Scotsman'-ish joke based on the stereotypical view like 'Osaka is the home of manzai, so Osaka people are particular about jokes/good at joking.'

The region where the rival schools are are regions which have real-life circuits.
              Tsukuba Girls High, Ibaraki......The Tsukuba Circuit
              Motegi Girls High, Tochigi...Twin Ring Motegi
              Amagase Girls School, Kyoto......Kinki Sports Land
              Taka Girls School, Hyogo......The Central Circuit
              Ikoma Girls High......Sports Land Ikoma
              Suzuka Girls School, Mie......The Suzuka Circuit
              The reason why Shishido Maria and Shishido Yuria are twins is probably that the associated circuit is Twin Ring Motegi.

In the 2000s, Governor Ishihara of Tokyo Prefecture made a plan that an on-public-roads motorcycle race similar to the Isle of Man TT Race would be held in the Miyakejima island. (The Miyake Village belongs to Tokyo Prefecture.) Governor Ishihara and the chief of the Miyake Village even made an on-the-spot inspection of the Isle of Man TT Race. But the plan went wrong. (The motorcyclists-inspectors who examined the course said that it was too dangerous, and the Big Four motorcycle manufacturers refused to co-operate on Ishihara's Miyakejima race.) The plan that a Man TT-like on-public-roads large-scale motorcycle race would be held was reduced to holding smaller motorcycle-related events including enduro races, and those events were held in Miyakejima. The Miyake Village still holds the WeRide Miyakejima enduro race.

Comment

Originally posted by kijakusai View Post

It is like you, who are a vocalo-p (vocaloid music producer), to be reminded of the music video. ^_^
                Another factor which can be taken into account is that some real-life vintage posters for the Isle of Man TT Race were drawn in the styles similar to that in the first place.
                Ah, thanks for the insight. :D Yeah, since that music video is pretty memorable, that was the first thing to pop in mind, especially how it's tied to sidecar racing as well.

The title 'Two Car' is wordplay on 'tu-ka', a Japanese phrase which means that Person A and Person B understand and communicate each other perfectly well.
                (Taking a safety measure, I did not add macrons to 'tu-ka'. I wonder whether Mr Beveridge has already tweaked the forums text-encoding-wise to the level where posters can post letters with diacritics on the forums.)
                That's interesting. I wouldn't have thought there was some wordplay behind the title; just thinking it's better than 'SideCar'. Not sure about the forum software. Honestly, despite what pros there might be with the switch; I can't really see the benefit on the member-end of things, especially when it comes to even the most uneventful of things like character-parsing/display.

Coach Tanahashi's voice was done by Miki Shin'ichiro, and it is funny, because Miki also did the voice of the protagonist of Initial D, which is a well-known racing anime and he also did the voice of Suzunoki Rin's father in Bakuon!!, who is another motorcyclist whose face cannot be seen by the audience. Makita Ai's voice was done by Tokui Sora, and it, too, is funny, because she also does the voice of the on-the-spot announcer in [I]Future Card Buddyfight
                Noticed that as well. And like the Stig and Raimu, identities always have to be concealed.
                As for Ai, it's funny imagining "Nico Nico Niiiiiii" from her (Niko Yazawa from School Live!).

In the 2000s, Governor Ishihara of Tokyo Prefecture made a plan that an on-public-roads motorcycle race similar to the Isle of Man TT Race would be held in the Miyakejima island. (The Miyake Village belongs to Tokyo Prefecture.) Governor Ishihara and the chief of the Miyake Village even made an on-the-spot inspection of the Isle of Man TT Race. But the plan went wrong.
                very interesting info. Pretty neat how this is indirectly implied in the show, but never detailed (at least as far as they've shown).

It's shows like this where they need to have some accuracy in portraying/referencing things that makes it all the more interesting. Much appreciate all the tidbits of info as always!
                Last edited by Sensuifu; 10-15-2017, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Passenger wanted.

And now, the competitors arrive on the island as this backtracks from the first episode race. For some reason, some pairs are staying at different inns, all while some of the pairs are having trouble with chemistry. This is particularly problematic with Chiyuki and Misaki as they became a pair under dubious circumstances with Chiyuki paid Misaki to be her passenger when her previous one quit on her. Yep, there were bound to be pairs that don't see eye-to-eye, and it shows on the fast track. Anyway, that was a better episode than the first as it's telling things the normal way.

So with that, I'll give it another episode before deciding what to do with this show. It's one of the longshots, but at least there's a chance it can work its way into my watchlist.

Comment

Episode 3

Chiyuki and Misaki really just needed some communication with each other, so good that our lead two (even similar to them with their issues with each other), were able to give them that push to actually talk. They had such a sweetly emotional bond forming in their backstory, so much happy tears when they finally got to being honest with each other. Hopefully they are now on the path to actually getting married at some point.

Comment

Re: Episode 3

Chemistry matters.

Things were really chaotic between Chiyuki and Misaki there, but it turns out that Chiyuki just needed a friend, a true friend and not some acquaintance to be used just like her previous partner. That kind of relationship led to disaster. But with Misaki, the feeling is mutual. Good to see them get all that straightened out. And then making fireworks using their cars and elbow pads on the asphalt, that was pretty amusing. Anyway, while that was a decent episode, it still doesn't change my overall opinion of the show by much.

So with that, this show goes back in the garage as Saturdays are just too full and this is the worst of the Saturday shows that are still in the running for my watchlist.

Comment

It's shows like this where they need to have some accuracy in portraying/referencing things that makes it all the more interesting. Much appreciate all the tidbits of info as always!
                        It's a pleasure.

That's interesting. I wouldn't have thought there was some wordplay behind the title;
                        In the 90s and 2000s, the Tu-Ka Cellular Group and KDDI ran the Tu-Ka mobile phone system in Japan.
                        Probably the companies wanted to say, 'If you use our Tu-Ka mobile phone system, you can communicate with other people very well,' or something along those lines.

very interesting info.
                        The ending credit sequence mentions the tourism association of the Miyakejima island.
                        (So is this another example where the town mayor and the tradespeople (erroneously) think, 'Since an anime set in our town was produced, much money must be going to pour into our town.' )

Comment

Originally posted by kijakusai View Post

The ending credit sequence mentions the tourism association of the Miyakejima island.
                          (So is this another example where the town mayor and the tradespeople (erroneously) think, 'Since an anime set in our town was produced, much money must be going to pour into our town.' )
                          Yeah, wish them the best...maybe a handful of people making the pilgrimage at most? Doesn't seem to be the type of property that promotes tourists to flock the place.

Comment

Re: Episode 3

Really like how quick these issues are being resolved. And as simple as they turn out, at least they aren't dragged on into multiple episodes.
                            Got a laugh when everyone started doubting their trust issues, jokingly or not. :D

Comment

Yeah, wish them the best...maybe a handful of people making the pilgrimage at most? Doesn't seem to be the type of property that promotes tourists to flock the place.
                              Yeah, I doubt whether Two Car would become a new Girls und Panzer.
                              One of the purposes of Ishihara's plan was to bring tourists to Miyakejima. The village office and the tradespeople of Miyakejima, which is in 'the sticks', may still chase the dream that motorcycle stuff (and otaku stuff, this time) will do machi-okoshi (To revitalise a town (usually, a rural town of which economy is declining) and develop its economy) for Miyakejima.
                              Since Miyakejima suffered from the year 2000 volcanic eruption, they may seriously need machi-okoshi.
                              In view of the tie-ups, the village office and the tradespeople seem to be fully motivated to take advantage of the Two Car anime.

Miyata Yuri's family runs the Akatsuki inn, and it is modelled on the Yukei inn of Miyakejima. Meguro Megumi's family runs the Mitsuwa inn, and it is modelled on the Yamanobe inn of Miyakejima.
                              (Those real-life inns were mentioned in the credit sequence.)
                              The cracker which Kuribayashi Tamae ate in the inn is gyu'nyu-senbei, crackers of which ingredients include milk (gyu'nyu) which are made by the Okataro Honpo company of Miyakejima. Gyu'nyu-senbei are made also in other Izu islands, and the gyu'nyu-senbei of the Izu Oshima island, which has good milking cows, is well-known.

The given names of the motorcyclists from Ikoma Girls High are Kanae and Tamae.
                              The phrase 'kanae tamae', which consists of their names, can mean 'Please grant (my wish).'
                              Names like them, which can semantically and pronunciation-wise become a pair, are sometimes found in the names of manzai duos. The anime staff named the Ikoma girls Kanae and Tamae, probably because of the 'Osaka is the home of manzai, so Osaka people should be related to manzai in various aspects' stereotypical/comedic view.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X