X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Fall 2017] Dies Irae Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    Dies irae

A show about a guy in a city where murders are happening, and his vision of being guillotined is an ominous sign of things to come.

Airs: Friday, October 6, 2017

Studio: A.C.G.T.

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

On May 1, 1945 in Berlin, as the Red Army raises the Soviet flag over the Reichskanzlei, a group of Nazi officers conduct a ritual. For them, the slaughter in the city is nothing but the perfect ritual sacrifice in order to bring back the Order of the 13 Lances, a group of supermen whose coming would bring the world's destruction. Years later, no one knows if this group of officers succeeded, or whether they lived or died. Few know of their existence, and even those who knew began to pass away as the decades passed.

Now in December in the present day in Suwahara City, Ren Fujii spends his days at the hospital. It has been two months since the incident that brought him to the hospital: a fight with his friend Shirou Yusa where they almost tried to kill each other. He tries to value what he has left to him, but every night he sees the same dream: a guillotine, murderers who hunt people, and the black clothed knights who pursue the murderers. He is desperate to return to his normal, everyday life, but even now he hears Shirou's words: "Everyone who remains in this city eventually loses their minds."

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these two easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please indicate in the first line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please quote that post (or a relevant reply to that post), or include the episode title in the first line. ("Re: Episode 1") Just make sure the episode is indicated.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Chise Hatori, The Ancient Magus' Bride
    Currently Watching: Fate/Apocrypha, Ajin, ID-0, Overlord, JBA-SC, OPC, DBZ-K, HXH, NAR-S
    Simulcasts: ALT, WBM, SOM-3, YYY-2, B3B-2, UMR-2, 3GL-2, KBW-2, AMB, UQH, IYK, GLT, BLS, KHK, AGT, NJU, CRZ, JBC, IDM-CGT, OSF, OYP
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 0

It's kill or be killed.

Well, that was pretty much almost all action there as things were quite bloody back in WWII. Reinhard sure is a force to be reckoned there taking down that trap in a white dress and some other scary dude with ease. Anyway, I'm having a hard time making sense of what just happened here seeing that this is the prequel to the main story that takes place in Japan.

So with that, I'll give it another episode or two seeing that what happens in the main story is where the test really begins.
    Currently Watching: Fate/Apocrypha, Ajin, ID-0, Overlord, JBA-SC, OPC, DBZ-K, HXH, NAR-S
    Simulcasts: ALT, WBM, SOM-3, YYY-2, B3B-2, UMR-2, 3GL-2, KBW-2, AMB, UQH, IYK, GLT, BLS, KHK, AGT, NJU, CRZ, JBC, IDM-CGT, OSF, OYP
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 0

As is usually the case for Episode 0s, it doesn't give a great impression of what to think of the series proper, so I have to also give all corresponding Episode 1s a chance regardless of how the Episode 0 was. This one doesn't give me great confidence, but I want to believe that the show has potential since it's adapted from a visual novel in the top 20 of VNDB. Unfortunately, these production values look pretty abysmal, like low-budget schlock from 10-15 years ago. Hopefully that's not indicative of what to come, but that's a more likely scenario than the plot elements being consistent once the story proper begins.
      My Top Anime | Manga
      My Collection
      My FP Reviews
      FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Re: Episode 0

I'm very cautious about this anime, given that it spends all of its time talking about one history's most evil people, Reinhard Heydrich, and it looks like we're going to have alternate world Nazis in it. But Heydrich? He helped organize Kristallnacht. He was directly responsible for the Einsatzgruppen, the special task forces which traveled in the wake of the German armies and murdered over two million people, including 1.3 million Jews. And he chaired the January 1942 Wannsee Conference, which formalized plans for the Final Solution to the Jewish Question, the deportation and genocide of all Jews in German-occupied Europe. Those are just 3 highlights of a much longer list of crimes committed against humanity which can be found in Wikipedia. This guy was f***ing EVIL!

So, I'll have to see where this goes, even as an alternate world.
        My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
        1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
        2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
        3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

Episode 1

Don't lose your head, use your head.

Now, things are getting properly set up here as while Ren is living an ordinary life on the outside, it's another matter entirely on the inside as he has been getting these visions, all while something really gets triggered when he looks at that guillotine. He lives in an apartment with Kasumi and Shirou as neighbors, each with a hole to get into his unit, while Rea likes to tease. Just when things look peaceful, a threat has arrived. Pretty much, this is just setup here as what comes next will really dictate the direction of the show. That was pretty dull for the most part, but it does the job.

So I'll give this another two episodes seeing that this is the true beginning of this show, and unlike episode 0 things are not all over the place. Right now, it's on the outside looking in, but I'll give it a chance to see if it is worthy for my watchlist.

Comment

Re: Episode 1

Huh? WTF did I just watch? Seriously, I've not a clue. This is a hot mess. 2 high school students fighting, then one is discharged from the hospital, we've got a genki tomboy girl, a subdued senpai, with silver hair, something-soemthing about guillotines plus ghost, time and space traveling alternate Nazis and last, but not least, an F-cup nun.

So, I remain very iffy about all this which seems to have past lives at issue, but is jamming in style but with precious little substance to date. I can think of dozens of anime I'd rather re-watch than this so far.
            My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
            1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
            2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
            3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

Re: Episode 1

While not as bad as the prequel... yep, this was still pretty bad. Whatever people love about the visual novel I'm certainly not seeing here. A mess is right, and not in the good, very deliberate way that Kekkai Sensen accomplishes. I guess the production values are slightly better than I expected based on the prequel, but they're still not very good by any stretch of the imagination. Oh well, at least this season has enough good shows already, and a few outside of the sequels and remakes even, so I wasn't exactly pinning all my hopes on this one being a masterpiece. Or, you know, watchable.
              My Top Anime | Manga
              My Collection
              My FP Reviews
              FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 2

Here come the Germans.

And so, Ren visits a church and gets attacked by two Neo-Nazis in Bey and Malleus. Of course, Ren didn't stand a chance against them, but luckily for him somebody came to put a stop to the fight. Yeah, this show just continues to make little sense as things just happen, and they are not really supporting each other.

So with that, I'm finished with this show as I wasn't very high on it to begin with. Things just feel flat.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                Widgets Magazine
                Working...
                X