X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Fall 2017] Recovery of an MMO Junkie Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    ネト充のススメ

A show about a NEET spending her life away playing MMO games and making a living out of the game.

Airs: Monday, October 9, 2017

Studio: Signal MD

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

Moriko Morioka is a 30-year-old single NEET woman. After dropping out from reality, she has taken off in search for a fulfilling life and ended up in a net game or "netoge." In the netoge world, she began her new life as a refreshing and handsome character named Hayashi. While starting out as a beginner, a pretty character named Lily reached out to help her. Meanwhile, in the real world, awaits a shocking encounter with a good-looking elite company employee, a mysterious blue-eyed blonde.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these two easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please indicate in the first line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please quote that post (or a relevant reply to that post), or include the episode title in the first line. ("Re: Episode 1") Just make sure the episode is indicated.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Latina, If It's For My Daughter, I'd Even Defeat a Demon Lord
    Watching: Princess Principal, Darling in the FranXX, Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, KYB, FRB, MIX, FIL, MTI, DUN, ALS, COP, DRS, IDD, FSN-LE, VLS, MMZ, GIV, HES, HDB, AKO, NHG, RST, SND, PKC
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

It's not the only NEET thing to do.

Moriko sure is a hopeless woman IRL, so she's starting a new life in the virtual one as she becomes a man named Hayashi in the MMO world. There, she meets up with Lily, and the two quickly hit it off together. Of course, she has a lot to learn having just begun this game not too long ago, but having Lily around helped her gain experience. Then comes a chance encounter at the convenience store where the guy notices that she's playing that same game. That was just depressing to see the sorry shape Moriko is IRL, but after all the real world means nothing to her now. Anyway, seeing that it's almost Christmas that of course there's plenty of festive stuff going on, especially with the santa outfit that Lily was wearing.

So far, it is shaping up to be a nice guilty pleasure for the season, but since it is a guilty pleasure that of course there are problems galore with this. The biggest one is the animation as the visualizations are just weak, which I was kind of expecting seeing that this is Signal MD's first full-length show, And of course, the story just isn't going to amount to much. I'll keep watching for the time being.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Latina, If It's For My Daughter, I'd Even Defeat a Demon Lord
    Watching: Princess Principal, Darling in the FranXX, Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, KYB, FRB, MIX, FIL, MTI, DUN, ALS, COP, DRS, IDD, FSN-LE, VLS, MMZ, GIV, HES, HDB, AKO, NHG, RST, SND, PKC
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

Man, spending the entire first episode on in-game stuff without getting know the characters as people does not inspire me to watch any more.
      My Top Anime | Manga
      My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
      My FP Reviews | Twitter
      FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

REL Episode 1

Wow, an anime with adults...and about gaming! Glasses guy is so Lily. I guess all the people in the ED are the characters in the game.

Avatar: Shimarin from Laid Back Camo.

Comment

Episode 2

And then they met, again.

The rest of Lily's guildmates are introduced, and Kanbe leads a guild that was on the verge of disbanding before Kanbe decided to lead it himself. Whenever Moriko plays she loses track of time and as such, she played through 5am and ended up collapsing on the way to work after bumping into Yuta. They exchange contact info, and Moriko is exchanging texts with him. That was pretty amusing to hear that Lily's player thinks Moriko is just like her player, a 21-year-old guy when in reality it's a woman in her 30's. It will be interesting to see what happens when Yuta finds out who Moriko really is.

So with that, I'll give it another episode before deciding. So far, it has been greatly enjoyable even if there are numerous faults with this show. At this point it looks to be one of the last shows in or first shows out.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

Still feel so sad for Moriko. She's really self-conscious over how much her lie spread around the guild so quickly, though it came from her really not wanting to know how pathetic things are for her lately. It will be interesting to see how soon (or not, or never) the guild mates find out about the real life truth for each other. If Lilac did end up continue to be a gossiper to Lily, they might have end up finding out just now. Heh, I knew things were going to be bad for "Lily" once Moriko realized how late it was, given that dude wouldn't be in a good situation with so little sleep and having to work the next day. Moriko ends up having her problems to, and thus they have reason for a coincidental bump-in the "real world". Going to be interesting to see how things continue there.

And as far as sad Moriko, though, I really do wonder what we're going to get of her work experience. The nightmare this time makes me wonder if it may not just be she herself who was crushed by the experience, but also someone she knew on the job. That would make me think even more about the other anime about a person quitting a black company. Hoping the "recovery" in the English title isn't a lie. I want to see some of that for her, but at a reasonable pace (not too quickly or not too painfully slow).

Comment

Episode 3

Getting married in the game.

The connections run deeper as Koiwai, who is Yuta's new co-worker, used to work with Moriko. So back in the game, Hayashi gets an expensive gift from Lily and Moriko is not exactly sure what to do about it. In the end, Hayashi and Lily become partners in the game as previously, Lily was just seen as an extra support player in a PUG, and Hayashi is the first person who Lily has had the pleasure of playing together with. So with that, the two get married in-game, and now comes the interesting part with how things will translate IRL since the players know each other, though they don't know each other's game characters.

With that, it looks like I'm going to watch this, but I'm not quite ready to call it in just yet.

Comment

Episode 4

As luck would have it...

A lot more things are happening IRL as the convenience store worker happens to also play the game, while Moriko runs into Koiwai during a later visit as the two finally meet after having nothing but long-distance relationships at work. As it turns out, Koiwai also quit his job, but quickly found a new one. Meanwhile in the game, there's a special event lottery, and after spending lots of points Lilac got the new outfit she was looking for, but she opts to go back to her usual outfit. Then that chat there at the end between Hayashi and Lily got pretty awkward there as it looks like Yuta is getting close to figuring out that Hayahsi's player is Moriko. That was pretty amusing to see Moriko continue to be awkward around others.

So with that, I like what this show has to offer, so it makes the cut on my watchlist.

Comment

Re: Episode 4

Ha-ha, the plot thickens as, finally, Yuta figures out Morimori's secret. Now, I wonder how Yuta is going to handle it. Possibilities for some fun situations to present themselves. Especially since Yuta is not likely to be very aggressive in letting Morimori know that he knows.

Have to wonder if the store clerk is also part of the group. The only one I can see him being, though, is the Kanbe.
                  Avatar: Tanya Degurechaff from Saga of Tanya the Evil

Comment

Originally posted by Gildor View Post
                    Have to wonder if the store clerk is also part of the group. The only one I can see him being, though, is the Kanbe.
                    I was thinking the same thing. Whatever ends up being the case, I'll be really fascinated to get to know more of the lives of pretty much all of the main bunch now.

It's great that Yuuta doesn't miss putting two and two together on what "Hayashi" tells him (pretty much everything truthfully aside from the genders being switched). I hope that some of the disbelief he shows here doesn't mean there's room for him to chalk it up to being a coincidence later. Feels like there's going to be some fun (hopefully sweet too) happenings to come.

Comment

Originally posted by EmperorBrandon View Post
                      Feels like there's going to be some fun (hopefully sweet too) happenings to come.
                      I agree, especially about the sweet part. I also hope the show does not take a dark turn with Koiwai trying to force himself on Morimori. He's already being a jerk by asking her out when he knows Yuta likes her, then he goes the complete a-hole route by shoving this fact in Yuta's face. I get the vibe the show will not go down a dark road, but sometimes it is hard to tell with anime.

Comment

Episode 5

She's wondering what clothes to wear.

So the convenience store cashier that Moriko sees so often is Kanbe in the game, and while they know each other's real life identity, they agree to keep it a secret. That was pretty hilarious seeing Moriko panicking trying to figure out what to wear to the date with Koiwai, but as it turns out he had a sudden change in plans that has him going out of town. So Moriko cut her hair and spent a lot on that outfit only to find out that she's meeting Yuta instead of Koiwai after he happened to pass by. It will be interesting to see where this all leads to.

Comment

Re: Episode 5

Originally posted by EmperorBrandon View Post
                          I hope that some of the disbelief he shows here doesn't mean there's room for him to chalk it up to being a coincidence later. Feels like there's going to be some fun (hopefully sweet too) happenings to come.
                          Sigh, he does end up buying into his disbelief, but at least the coincidences continue to mount to the point he can't ignore it...

I just love every time Morimori awkwardly goes about her convenience store business... This time Fujimoto continues the netoge conversation, and it's sweet how Morimori has someone nice to talk with about it "in real life". Unsurprising that she ends up finding out that he is Kanbe, and there are some antics over them meeting, but that ends up being sweet too in how much Kanbe respects what "Hayashi" doesn't want to talk about. I do wonder what's behind the warning on talking about real-life matter with Lily. Kanbe seems to know the gender of Lily's player, but I wonder if he knows Yuuta beyond that. Amusing how the bit where "Hayashi" is going to them for girls' date appearance advice turns out, not knowing she's actually getting just two guys squabbling on their preferences in the end. I'm hoping Lilac finds out at some point, as the other regular actual girl of the group, because there could be some interesting bonding there.

Hah, and everything revolves around loot boxes so much in her life at this point, that when Morimori goes to actually spend on clothes, she keep thinking in those terms as to how expensive everything is. But she does come out looking rather nice, and Yuuta just barely manages to come across her. Love how it happens he has to skip out on a planned quest as he's doing it, seeming leaving them without a critical healer. Very curious what's going to come of the date. Yuuta surely shouldn't be having much doubts as to Hayashi's identity at this point (who knows, though), but will it getting to be mutual on that point soon? Kanbe's continued role given what he knows is going to be interesting too.

Comment

Is Koiwai really wanting to date Morimori? Or is he trying to get Yuta together with her? Was the mixup in the day of the date intentional? I guess there are more typical anime hijinks to come regarding Yuta's and Morimori's relationship (as well as their interaction with everyone else) given we still have a half cour to go.

Comment

Episode 6

Eat, drink, and be MMO merry.

So it turns out that Koiwai didn't have something suddenly come up as instead Moriko ended up going out a day early. She's so out of touch with reality that she couldn't even do something as simple as getting the date right. So she has a drink with Yuta, and then the next day she has a night out with Koiwai. Then it's back to the game where she's happy. Quite a bizarre sequence of events there as it goes to show how far removed from society Moriko is.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X