Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Episode 6

Picture perfect in the end.

This episode is about the girl who would later become known as Photo. She was a slave who was battered and beaten up by her owners. But she would be the one getting the last laugh as the family died after drinking that soup with a toxic herb in it, and Photo nearly drank it herself until a boy threw a rock to spill it. Then comes her talking motorcycle Sou, and together they set off on a journey where Photo does exactly what her namesake is all about in being a photographer. Pretty nice story that was as it goes to show how much luck is involved seeing that the family didn't realize what they had just done with that meal.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Lecia Ivyred, The Rising of the Shield Hero
    Watching: Kyo Kara Maoh, Pokemon Sun and Moon, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, DRO, CQK, RSH, AOT, BSD, FRB, OPM, KYB, FGN, SKS, MLA, SMT, HBS, KOT, MIX, WNL, KMA, FIL, IDM, ISQ, SRG, STW
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 6

If I hadn't seen the original, I might've thought this could've been an origin story for Kino for part of it, but as that becomes obviously not the case near the end, it's hard to figure out why we should care too much when no characters we know are involved beyond Kino watching and commenting at the very end. Weird.
      My Top Anime | Manga
      My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
      My FP Reviews | Twitter
      FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 7

And the rest was history.

Just like last time, this episode was about someone else being the traveler. To be exact, it's Kino telling Hermes the story about another traveler who made history and became heroes overthrowing a corrupt regime. This lady came to town with a guy, and the guy gets thrown into the slammer for drug possession. The lady created quite the stir there breaking him out, and for her actions of defiance, those two are idolized in this town. While it was a good story, I would like to see more journeys that Kino is actually a part of moving forward in this.
        Simulcasts: FTL, DRO, CQK, RSH, AOT, BSD, FRB, OPM, KYB, FGN, SKS, MLA, SMT, HBS, KOT, MIX, WNL, KMA, FIL, IDM, ISQ, SRG, STW
        The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 7

Man, I never thought Kino would be my least favorite show of the season, but this remake really isn't working for me.
          My Top Anime | Manga
          My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
          My FP Reviews | Twitter
          FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 8

Turn down the radio.

Yet another episode with Kino not doing much (and in this case, nothing at all) as it's about Shizu traveling with Riku and Tifana into a place that appears to be a well-run place. But it has a dark secret as it was built by slaves whose minds were controlled by radio waves. A crime happens that could be blamed on radio waves, and as such Shizu goes out to destroy the outposts only to find out that it's broken and hasn't been in use for years. And then they hightail and run away from this place. leaving a lot of chaos behind. Then it's onto a dangerous town where Tifana and Riku are getting all buddy buddy in the hotel. While the episode is good, I would like to get back to Kino at some point as it has sidetracked long enough.

Comment

Re: Episode 8

As much as I haven't been caring about Kino no Tabi lately, I sure as hell don't care about Shizu no Tabi, at least what we've seen of it so far. The extra stories they throw onto these episodes are especially dull.
              My Top Anime | Manga
              My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
              My FP Reviews | Twitter
              FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 9

Everybody needs a little KFC. As in Kino's Fried Chicken.

It's finally back to Kino after not doing anything the past few episodes. She visits a country that uses a point system based on virtues where having zero points means going to jail. One man stockpiled points where he can afford to kill someone and not be thrown in jail for it. And then there's KFC that becomes quite a hit. Then she visits a place where she doesn't remember visiting it. That's because it's a place that erases memories once travelers leave the place. Once again, these places are all sorts of weird. And then there's the afterword by the author that was a nice message there letting everybody know that dreams are never dead as 14 years later, a new Kino's Journey came to be, and that was adding a nice touch to this.

Comment

Re: Episode 9

These little vignettes really don't accomplish anything. Seems like something you could throw in an extra on the Blu-ray, but certainly not an entire episode of the series proper.
                  My Top Anime | Manga
                  My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                  My FP Reviews | Twitter
                  FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 10

Remember all the good times.

Next stop is a country that shows Kino an unimaginable amount of kindness, and Sakura is quite the ambitious girl there showing her around town, and Kino gets a new gun for free. Kino was starting to enjoy that place, but she must move onto the next town because she was only allowed to stay for three days. It turns out that there was a good reason why she had to leave as the town was built on a volcano and the citizens knew it was going to erupt the day she left, but even so they decided to stay put and die with the town. As it turned out, the town was once notorious for its rudeness. That was pretty cruel there what happened in the end as Sakura could have been a traveling companion, but she decided to inherit the inn instead, and now she's gone along with everybody else. Next time, it's a retelling of an episode in the original series about how Kino came to be the traveler she is today.

Comment

Re: Episode 10

This was a lot more effective when Kino's backstory, which they're remaking next episode anyway, had already aired before it. And it served better as a finale in general.
                      My Top Anime | Manga
                      My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                      My FP Reviews | Twitter
                      FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 11

That's what it means to be an adult.

This is another episode that was from the original series as Kino's background is explained. It's as I remember it as Kino is not her real name, and she assumed that name once she ran away from home. She lived in a place where children are required to undergo surgery to become adults overnight, and can only take the job that their parents are doing. Such a rotten place this is, but thanks to the original Kino, she had another option to run away on his motorcycle. I remember how things turned out as this girl ended up turning into a tomboy to assume Kino's identity.

Comment

Re: Episode 11

The more this series adapts the same stories as the first, the more pronounced its inferiority becomes. That said, this was a necessary one to include, but it would've been more effective earlier on. To give credit, though, it is better than some recent episodes have been.
                          My Top Anime | Manga
                          My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                          My FP Reviews | Twitter
                          FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 12 (Finale)

Attack of the killer sheep.

The finale just blew my mind there with those sheep chasing Kino out for blood. But leave it to Kino always wanting to be together with Hermes and showing those sheep what a mistake it is to get on her bad side. Luckily, she finds a Hummer abandoned by a dead man who was eaten by those gluttonous sheep and Kino rams them over, while setting the area ablaze to allow Kino to jump over the ravine with Hermes. It turns out those sheep were raised for fighting, which used to be the land's pastime before animal rights activists shut down the sport. And then Kino takes a siesta to mark the end of a journey and the start of a new one. Quite an appropriate way to end this series with that napping sequence there to leave open the possibility of another season seeing that the episodes in this show are all stand-alone.

Overall, this remake has some pretty big flaws that make it an inferior product to the original series. This show does some great things much like the original series in that the atmosphere is nice and the stories that are all self-contained do a great job in the adventure aspect. And then the animation quality is a nice upgrade from the original. That said, the one thing this show does that waters it down is that it gets away from Kino too much to focus on other characters and while that is fine for an episode or two, it does this way too much. Other problems is that the storytelling just isn't as strong and that the order of the episodes could have been changed up. But in the end, it's a solid product that does an excellent job in capturing the nostalgia of this series, just not a desirable one given the bar the original series set.

MAL Rating:

Comment

Re: Episode 12 (Finale)

So that's that. Not so bad that I regret watching it at this point, but still an incredible disappointment with the expectations set by the original series. Take away the strong, unique direction style, aesthetic, story selection, order, and pacing, and Kino isn't so great after all. A damn shame.
                              My Top Anime | Manga
                              My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                              My FP Reviews | Twitter
                              FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...