X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Fall 2017] Kino's Journey: The Beautiful World Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    キノの旅 -the Beautiful World- the Animated Series

The second Kino's Journey series. Kino travels around with her talking motorcycle and has some amazing to surreal experiences in the places she travels to.

Airs: Friday, October 6, 2017

Studio: Lerche

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

"The world is not beautiful, therefore it is."

"Kino's Journey -the Beautiful World-" is a story about Kino, who travels around the world with nothing but her guns for protection and talking motorcycle Hermes.
    Kino travels to many mystical worlds, each with its unique customs and people, and learns about
    the world through their stories, at times conjuring humor and inspiration or other times piercing cynicism.

However, Kino has her own custom, to stay no longer than three days in every town without exception, as it is enough time to learn almost everything important about the place while still leaving time to explore new lands.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these two easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please indicate in the first line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please quote that post (or a relevant reply to that post), or include the episode title in the first line. ("Re: Episode 1") Just make sure the episode is indicated.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Main, Ascendance of a Bookworm
    Watching: Gundam 00, Dorohedoro, Medaka Box, Golden Wind
    Simulcasts: HZG, DKD, FRB, KGY, TOA-R, OGF, 8NT, ART, BNA, GLP. KKG, LSN, SKT, SBA, YFM, TOG, WLN, A3A, PCR, SHV
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

How to get away with murder: live here.

The first destination of the new series takes Kino to a place where murder is not prohibited by law. As such, it's the perfect place for a would-be serial killer to live, but the wording is not exactly as he thought as there's a quite a big difference between permitted and not prohibited. That immigrant would find out the hard way that he can't kill just to kill. Pretty violent way to begin this series as Kino is also armed with a gun. Anyway, that was an amazing way to get back into this show.

Seeing that Kino is talking about her three-day policy that it's pretty clear that this is not a sequel to the first series from over a decade ago (and then again even if it was, it wouldn't be so obvious because of the show's episodic format). In any case, it's off to a great start here as this is an episodic show. Next stop is the coliseum, and the first series spent two episodes on something like this, the only time when a story took more than one episode to tell.
    Simulcasts: HZG, DKD, FRB, KGY, TOA-R, OGF, 8NT, ART, BNA, GLP. KKG, LSN, SKT, SBA, YFM, TOG, WLN, A3A, PCR, SHV
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

This show has a high bar to reach, but since I watched the entire first series over two nights, less than two weeks ago no less, I didn't really have any time to think that it might not be as great as I had heard at some of its earliest points. This looks to be a perfectly competent production, so if it plays its cards right it should be able to become comparable to its predecessor. Based on the title and the knowledge that they'll be adapting some of the same stories as the first series, it seems inevitable that this will be that coliseum, especially since I know those characters are set to appear in this series as well.
      My Top Anime | Manga
      My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
      My FP Reviews | Twitter
      FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 2

The coliseum is closed.

This story is the only one that took two episodes in the original series, and it plays out just like I remember it. Kino enters a country where guys need to fight in the coliseum in order to become citizens thanks to the tyrannical king that murdered his father to take it, and then enforce this regime of brutality. But in comes Kino, and she beats everybody by asking the opponent to yield, then shooting the fighter in a non-vital area, and then getting the other person to surrender, or just knocking the fighter out. Then comes Shizu, and he's the one asking Kino to yield, and in the end Kino wins, and then shoots the king to kill him, which is exactly what Shizu wanted to do as he's the prince of this country. Kino was quite a badass there showing how brutal she can become by having everybody fight for the throne. Anyway, that was great to see that Kino and Shizu got along as he has a traveling partner in a dog that can talk.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

Kino is just so danged badass. Hah, and the talking motorcycle is so taken aback by a talking dog. Perfect.

Comment

As expected, this was very much the story we saw in the first season, just condensed down to one episode. Since I just watched the series, this was all very fresh for me. There were some differences other than this only being half as long. I'm not sure which follows the source material more closely, but I'd guess this one does, other than perhaps cutting some out.
            My Top Anime | Manga
            My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
            My FP Reviews | Twitter
            FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

The quality is high so far, and it's nice to watch something "grown up" with little or no fluff or fanservice. It's also been so long since I watched the original that I didn't even realize this was one of the same stories.

Comment

Episode 3

Always on the move.

The next country is a moving fortress as it's always on the move out of necessity as standing still causes the place to overheat. And having to be on the move all the time is quite bothersome, indeed, as it always literally leaves a mark on the environment, all while they are trampling other countries in the process. And then there's the mural that comes under attack. But thanks to Kino's sharpshooting, they were able to defend the mural without killing anybody. The countries always have their quirks and this one is no different.

Comment

Re: Episode 3

It's a given that any country Kino visits that seems very friendly at first will inevitably have a dark side that they won't mind at all. All things considered, this is probably one of the tamer ones, although who knows what else they've trampled over? I'd think that Kino's visit would show the worst possible outcome, but it seems like this one could've been a lot worse.
                  My Top Anime | Manga
                  My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                  My FP Reviews | Twitter
                  FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Re: Episode 3

Originally posted by GingaDaiuchuu View Post
                    It's a given that any country Kino visits that seems very friendly at first will inevitably have a dark side that they won't mind at all. All things considered, this is probably one of the tamer ones, although who knows what else they've trampled over? I'd think that Kino's visit would show the worst possible outcome, but it seems like this one could've been a lot worse.
                    Yes, there will have been times when they used that laser much more destructively, and where the city's path crushed more than a farm or two.

They did have a point with their philosophy though, that everyone's existence has an impact on others. They've accepted that their travels will cause some damage to the land and sometimes conflict with the other countries that they meet. I'd say their dark side isn't really that dark, just more obvious than effects like depleting natural resources or polluting the environment.

Comment

Episode 4

What was once lost at sea has been found.

The attention turns to Shizu and Riku as this traveler ends up at a ship country out at sea, and Kino also happens to be there and realize that this country has a problem. With the way the Tower Clan has been running the place, this is a sinking ship. It turns out this place had been ruled by machines. But even so, the citizens don't want anything to change once they are brought onshore. The same couldn't be said for Tifana as she was born on the ship and just abandoned, but Shizu is willing to take her along for the ride to give her life meaning. That was quite brutal there at the end when Tifana stabbed Shizu and nearly blew herself up along with him with that grenade, but Kino intervened, and they wised up. That sure had a lot of drama.

Comment

Re: Episode 4

Shizu no Tabi! Now that's something different for this series. And his little family is even growing.
                        My Top Anime | Manga
                        My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                        My FP Reviews | Twitter
                        FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 5

He'll be waiting until the day comes.

This episode consists of two half-episode stories. First up Kino visits a house that has been turned into a museum, and one of those items is a motorcycle that can also talk like Hermes. For a motorcycle, it's hell that it is there rather than on the road, but that day might come soon as Kino told a kid that it talks. And then it's onto a country where an uprising is about to happen and the spy to the royal family is in love, but his lover hasn't been back for awhile having been lied to about the situation. That was pretty tough for him, but after meeting Kino he realizes that he doesn't want to ruin anything. So he's content with just living his life out with the princess at a house in the outskirts. Once again, Kino goes somewhere that has its quirks and everything, and her experience is really something.

Comment

Re: Episode 5

That first bit seemed rather pointless. Main story was a little underwhelming as well.
                            My Top Anime | Manga
                            My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                            My FP Reviews | Twitter
                            FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Re: Episode 5

Originally posted by GingaDaiuchuu View Post
                              That first bit seemed rather pointless. Main story was a little underwhelming as well.
                              I wouldn't be surprised if the first part was a setup for a future epsiode -- Kino is giving the kid a nudge towards becoming a traveler and freeing the other motorrad from its hell of standing still.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X