X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Fall 2017] Girls' Last Tour Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    少女終末旅行

A show about two girls living in a world that is dead.

Airs: Friday, October 6, 2017

Studio: White Fox

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Amazon

Civilization is dead, but Chito and Yuuri are still alive. So they hop aboard their beloved Kettenkrad motorbike and aimlessly wander the ruins of the world they once knew. Day after hopeless day, they look for their next meal and fuel for their ride. But as long as the two are together, even an existence as bleak as theirs has a ray or two of sunshine in it, whether they're sucking down their fill of soup or hunting for machine parts to tinker with. For two girls in a world full of nothing, the experiences and feelings the two share give them something to live for...

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these two easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please indicate in the first line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please quote that post (or a relevant reply to that post), or include the episode title in the first line. ("Re: Episode 1") Just make sure the episode is indicated.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Violet Evergarden of KyoAni's Violet Evergarden
    Watching: Kyo Kara Maoh, Pokemon Sun and Moon, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, FRB, KYB, FGN, MIX, FIL
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Get out and about.

I'm not exactly sure how to describe this show with the scenery so surreal, but the girls aren't bothered one bit by it. Pretty amusing to see those girls experiencing the sky for the first time in a long while, and then Yuuri putting on a war reenactment in order to get that last piece of food from Chito. Yeah, this mishmash is quite amusing to watch to say the least, and it could very well be a sleeper hit of the season.

So with that, the usual rules of my trial apply after one episode as at the moment I'll wait until all shows have premiered before sorting things out.
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

RE: Episode 1

If nothing else, the sound direction in this show is fantastic. Listening to this show through headphones blew my mind. The music is great.
      Avatar: Shimarin from Laid Back Camo.

Comment

RE: Episode 1

Originally posted by Library-chan View Post

If nothing else, the sound direction in this show is fantastic. Listening to this show through headphones blew my mind. The music is great.
        Enya meets desolation. Who would've thought? Seriously though, the contrast with the bleak, cold, harsh backdrop to the new age/ambient music is effective in eliciting that seemingly warm bond between the characters and the reality they're facing.

Comment

Re: Episode 1

I can't think of the last time I saw an anime with this much dissonance that might actually be good. I have no idea what to expect, or if I should be expecting anything more than a slice of life from this lifeless world with no further explanation, but so far I'm with it and curious to see what it does from here.
          My Top Anime | Manga
          My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
          My FP Reviews | Twitter
          FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 2

Water, water, almost nowhere and not a drop to drink.

These girls continue to make the best use of the bleak situation, first by creating a bath out of a leaky hot water pipe, then finding a pool of water to do their laundry, as well as a decomposing fish to eat. But they lose a book when Yuuri threw one into the fire and it's a good thing it isn't one of the journals as those things are quite valuable. Anyway, the girls continue to do amusing things in a bleak environment that they are in.

So with that, I'll give it a couple more episode before making a final decision on this show. It has been pretty good so far, but the selection is a process and right now, I'm not at the stage to casually call shows in.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

This is beginning to feel like Haibane Renmei, only has more of the Cute Girls Doing Survivalist Things. Love that OP and the ED is pretty neat as well. Curious if the two will ever run into other people...and where they get their fuel. Still, the iyashikei is welcomed seeing how this is pretty much the only one of the season.

Comment

We see Chito couldn't read the kanji she comes across early, though later she's shown to be literate and keeping a diary. I kind of wondered if that was even Japanese she's writing, but on closer inspection does look like a blocky mishmash of hiragana and katakana. There's a lot of interesting little things in their dialogue this episode that have me very curious on the background of this setting.

Originally posted by Sensuifu View Post
                Love that OP and the ED is pretty neat as well.
                So adorable all around. I like how Minase Inori and Kubo Yurika are pretty much the entirety of the show vocally.

Comment

I can see the Haibane Renmei comparison. I do appreciate the teases of more information on how this came to be that they pepper throughout the episode. It makes me feel like there may be a decent chance of getting a real explanation within the series. I don't see it becoming anything too different from what it's established itself to be, but at least learning a little more can help us connect with these girls more.
                  My Top Anime | Manga
                  My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                  My FP Reviews | Twitter
                  FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 3

Onward and upward.

So there's another person still out there in Kanazawa, and this guy made a bridge out of an abandoned skyscraper. His goal is to map out the world. So after crossing the gap, they scale the tower, and the guy nearly bit the dust as his bag of maps fell off the lift and he almost fell off of it trying to save them. So in the end they part ways with Kanazawa determined to map out the world again. Once again, those girls are doing amusing things in a place that doesn't exactly amount to that, and to change things up a guy shows up.

With that, it looks like this show will make the cut, but I'm not ready to call it in just yet. It's one of six shows that's on the bubble with only one of them getting dropped. It's near the top amongst these shows, so chances are good this will get in.

Comment

Re: Episode 3
                      Originally posted by Sensuifu View Post
                      Curious if the two will ever run into other people...and where they get their fuel.
                      and there's the answer. :D Funny how this always happens...

Seems like Chito jinxed them into their small dilemma. I think most people wouldn't dare ride that without any type of screen around. Loved how Chito was being philosophical, questioning why they live; and after a moment of silence, Yuuri bops her wondering whether she's gone crazy. :D
                      At least the world seems far less lonely now that they know Kanazawa is out there. Also curious what that light is the two are heading to.

Comment

Well that was a major change! Suddenly they spend the entire episode with an actual other human being! Damn. This opens up the possibilities a lot.
                        My Top Anime | Manga
                        My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                        My FP Reviews | Twitter
                        FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Originally posted by EmperorBrandon View Post
                          I like how Minase Inori and Kubo Yurika are pretty much the entirety of the show vocally.
                          Well, not anymore, as they do happen to run into another human being finally, and the rather familiar voice of Ishida Akira at that. It's quite interesting to see it took Yuuri a good long while before she stopped pointing her gun at Kanazawa. She's extremely cautious in that regard, and it does have me wondering about how some of her previous encounters have gone.

Still more things this episode to get me very curious about the background of this post-apocalyptic world. Getting to be on the level of Sound of the Sky in the sense of wanting to get to know the mysteries of this world while at the same time enjoying what the protagonists make of their life in it.

Comment

Episode 4

They are just statues.

Once again, the girls are always finding amusement in this desolate world, and it is nice to see them acting that way. First, there's the camera that Kanazawa gave them, and those girls are trying to figure out how it works. I especially like the part where they find out that they can store over 52,000 photos in that thing and comparing it to the amount of food they have left (though the battery will be drained long before and they need to find a way to recharge it when that happens). And then those two go into a temple where they see a bunch of those eel statues, and an even bigger one in the middle of a drained pond with fake plants. They see those as gods, but really they are nothing more than statues. I like how they are always trying to put a different spin on things that were once considered to be everyday stuff before the world became what it is.

So with that, this show has made the final cut for the season.

Comment

Re: Episode 4

No, translators. "Man" means ten thousand, not one thousand. If you're unsure, you can just see that the count on the camera clearly says 520014. Well that was annoying. Otherwise, another pleasant stroll with our original cast, albeit with Kanazawa's contribution helping their entertainment.
                              My Top Anime | Manga
                              My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                              My FP Reviews | Twitter
                              FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...