ジャストビコーズ!

A show about high school seniors preparing for life after graduation

Airs: Thursday, October 5, 2017

Studio: Pine Jam

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Amazon

At the end of the second semester of third year of high school, four students are prepared for graduation and feel the ending to their high school life. But that changes a little with the arrival of a transfer student.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these two easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please indicate in the first line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please quote that post (or a relevant reply to that post), or include the episode title in the first line. ("Re: Episode 1") Just make sure the episode is indicated.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Violet Evergarden of KyoAni's Violet Evergarden
    Watching: Kyo Kara Maoh, Pokemon Sun and Moon, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, FRB, KYB, FGN, MIX, FIL
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

The end is near.

While Senioritis in America is an exciting thing seeing that decisions about college or jobs are decided months in advanced, not so much in Japan, and especially in this school as these kids are finding out just how difficult it can be. Eita got most of the attention here as he plays baseball with Haruto, who is going into work after leading the baseball club. That was quite a match there with Haruto hitting one out of the park. And then there's Mio who is studying hard for her entrance exam, and she figures to get a lot of focus next time being the MC in this show. And then there's Ena with her camera as her club is on the verge of getting axed. Pretty intriguing start to this.

So with that, I'll give it my usual trial period, and seeing that this is one of the most highly anticipated shows of the season for me that it's on pretty solid ground. That said, it will still be evaluated in the usual way.
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

I feel like this kind of nostalgic slice of life would really work for me right now, but I'm not sure that I want to spend a series with these characters that much. There's nothing wrong with them, but I also just find it all a little too boring and empty. It's another one I'm calling dropped for now but I could conceivably return to.
      My Top Anime | Manga
      My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
      My FP Reviews | Twitter
      FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 2

Something's fishy about this relationship.

It all starts off with Haruto wanting to go on a date with Hazuki at the aquarium, but it turns into a group outing as Hazuki's siblings end up tagging along while Eita and Mio are also there, and Mayuko also shows up. Even though Haruto's attempt at confessing to Hazuki failed, he did have a great time with those kids, so it's all good for everybody as they form a group. While the romance didn't move forward much, the bonds between students continues to grow seeing that they don't have much time left until their school lives are over.

So with that, I'll give it another episode as while it has made a favorable impression, not quite enough to call it in at this point.

Comment

Re: Episode 1 and 2

(So Just Because! is what motivated me to finally come to FP. Guess the series must be doing something right.)

After watching the first 2 episodes...Just Because! is the one series of the season so far that I have been anticipating the latest episode...Which might be a bad idea.

I can not say anything else than what has been mentioned about the plot, except that the slice-of-like aspects makes for a slow grind, not made better by an issue noted on other sites - the series' tendency to show too much of the in-between shots. The tendency certainly makes each episode feel longer than it should, and adds a drag to a story that feels potentially problematic.

However, the characters are more interesting than the overall story itself, and that is enough so far. Some random thoughts on characters that are being portrayed in a more realistic manners than walking clich?s (Except maybe one.):

1) Ena Komiya is suppose to be the audience surrogate in the series, albeit one with more impact than usual on the story. She is younger than the rest of the cast (Meaning she really is not in the same orbit with them.) and she is a photographer trying to get a perfect shot, which is hanging a lampshade on her role as the stand-in for the audience at the moments that matter. I suppose she might be the motivator for one and possibly both relationship tangles to resolve themselves, but I do not see her mattering much beyond those;

2) Haruto Soma and Hazuki Morikawa - what appears to be the beta couple of the series. Haruto feels like a typical boy in high school, who decides that the end of his high school life is the time to take the plunge and do what he wanted to accomplish - loudly and excitingly. Of course, that means he fumbles some of it - but that adds to the realism. He is open enough that even Yoriko saw through him, though one wonders if Hazuki did the same. Hazuki is definitely the quiet one of the pair, the one for whom the road to be traveled seems to be already set. She does not see the interest in her yet, but maybe that is due to not really looking. However, we might have a triangle coming because it appears Hazuki has another admirer besides Haruto;

3) Eita Izume and Mio Natsume - the primary couple of the series, if only by virtue of the OP telegraphing it. This is the more interesting contrast and the driving force of the story. Natsume seems to be two minds - she had a crush on Haruto in the past and still does to a lesser extent now. Yet attitude toward Izume seems...Eager? It is more than the joy that comes from seeing someone who has been gone for a long time - like she started to realize what she wanted after she lost it, only to suddenly find it. Whatever is the case, it does come across as conflicted, which Mio hides well enough, but what appears is actually causing major friction.

Eita is the detached newcomer by virtue of coming late to the scene, but he is not completely new to Haruto and Mio. He definitely is not the typical transfer student - he has at least one friend from Fukuoka that he communicates with and he did well enough that he has a recommendation to a university (Fairly well regarded one, judging from Mio's reaction.) and does not need to go through the grind of entrance exams. It is enough to wonder why he is bothering to enter another high school for the last semester. He also had a crush on Mio from middle school, one that he appears have tamped down hard over the years due to knowing that Mio likes Haruto (And thus avoid sticking it to his friend.), and one that is not nearly as happy to see Mio as she appeared to him. And yet, it appears his damping down of his liking of Mio is a barely healed wound - and one that Mio's bringing up of her threat about not telling Haruto, seems to be rubbing hard on, to the point where it will cause major problems down the road.

I also wonder about Eita's relations with his father, which seems a bit standoffish - his father seems to be tentative when talking to his son, which was different enough that it jumped out during the viewing of Episode 1.

Either way, Just Because! has been an intriguing two episodes so far. I would not be surprised if a surprise visit by Eita's former classmates from Fukuoka happens in a future episodes, and there are already enough land mines set in the story to blow-up in everyone's faces. But at least for now, I am waiting to watch the next episode.

C.T.
          You never know who you might be walking next to one day - LT Michael P. Murphy, USN, MOH, 28 June 2005 - Penn State Class of 1998

Comment

Episode 3

Picture imperfect.

Christmas is here, and while friends are together again, things are all over the place. There's Hazuki and Yoriko getting together, and Hazuki is thinking about going to college in a place that doesn't have a band as she's planning to give it up because she just wants to play with her friends, then there's Ena trying hard for the competition. Eita wants no part of her exhibition, but Ena is determined to get him to say yes as she has taking a great interest in him. And then there's Haruto who comes over to see Hazuki, and isn't exactly getting along with the dog. Pretty much, feelings are just all over the place as senioritis is definitely affecting everybody.

So with that, I'll give it one more episode before making a decision.

Comment

Re:Episode 3

It is entirely possible that the editor for Just Because! is not being used enough. It is also entirely possible that the editor is not very good at editing. Either way, Episode 3 needs better editing, because it feels too much like a pile of ideas looking for a coherent narrative to include them, and to cut down on series' inclination to linger on cuts for a moment too long.

So Episode 3 gives us a better sense of secondary main character Ena Komiya and main secondary character Yoriko Inui. Yoriko is actually turning out to be more interesting than most of the main cast, and the sequences she is in - especially of her trolling Haruto - gives a realistic amusement to the interplay between the characters that the series probably needs more of. At the same time, Yoriko is not annoying enough in action (Though the character design did end up feeling odd at points.) that her appearances are welcomed whenever she and Hazuki are in a scene.

Ena, on the other hand...Is a reminder that over the top and comic characters in a realistic series are like powerful painkillers - they should be used sparingly and in small doses. Unfortunately, we had half an episode devoted to Ena which ends up making her annoying and distracting to the point where a clue-by-four should have been used on her. At the very least, what should have been a character that helped moved the story and provide another perspective on rest of the main cast, overshadows everyone else in the show and not in a good way. It is like the first season of Sound! Euphonium, where Asuka went from being an amusing if key character, to dragging down the quality of the show because she was in the mix too frequently. One hopes that Episode 3 is the exception...

The rest of the cast remains even and realistic. While some could argue that Mio so far has failed to differentiated herself from the rest of the cast, especially compared to Ena, the portrayal of the former student council president has been a bit more realistic and less dramatic, which is a good thing to be in a story as grounded as Just Because! tries to be. It is refreshing to see a boring character, because it allows the story to shine through rather than the character to overshadow the story.

Regards,

C.T.

You never know who you might be walking next to one day - LT Michael P. Murphy, USN, MOH, 28 June 2005 - Penn State Class of 1998

Comment

Episode 4

New year, new drama.

It's New Year's Eve, and that means off to the shrine. Well, only Haruto and Hazuki made it as Ena's brother is sick, Eita is busy with house chores, and Mio is opting to do some more studying for exams, though Mio and Eita end up going out with Mio's sister Mina tagging along. Pretty much, this was all about Haruto and Hazuki as they first got to know each other well when Haruto picked up an eraser Hazuki dropped during a test. So Haruto finally conjured up the courage to confess to Hazuki, and he got rejected. Emotions sure are all over the place after that.

With that, the trial period for this show has ended, and while it didn't win the Thursday spot, it remains a strong possibility among the at-large shows. At this point, it's near the bottom of five at-large shows in which one of them gets dropped, so at this time, no decision will be made until the trial periods are up for all of these shows.

Comment

Episode 5

Until the last ball!

And it's back to school after the winter break, and everybody's motivation is all over the place. So after that rejected confession, it's no wonder why as Hazuki barely know Haruto, but she is moving out of town following graduation. So it looks like things aren't going to work out for them moving forward with the way things are. Then there's the baseball game with Haruto joining the losing team and using that glove he threw out like trash. And then it ends with Mio so focused on her entrance exams that nothing else matters. It will be interesting to see what happens now with the final term starting.

Comment

Episode 6

Cue the trumpet.

So Haruto x Hazuki is still on the table as Hazuki decides not to write off the relationship just yet. Eita is getting into Haruto's head on the diamond as Haruto just keeps fouling off pitches before knocking one out of the park, all while Hazuki is waiting until she can perfect a song on the trumpet before giving a reply. And of course, Mio is so neck-deep with her entrance exams that any romance with Eita is in the back of her mind at the moment, and then seeing him with Ena on his back is quite troubling. Ena is still pushy as ever and determined to keep the photography club going and not exactly helping her cause. It will be interesting to see what comes of this, whether Haruto and Hazuki can connect despite the move coming, all while Mio might be competing with Ena for Eita.

Comment

Episode 7

This relationship is icy.

And now, the love triangle is in full swing with Eita caught in the middle of it all. Ena is serious about Eita, but Eita not so much. Ena's pushiness convinced Eita to let her enter the competition. While that's going on, it's the day of the entrance exams, and Mio runs into trouble as due to the heavy snow, transportation has been halted. Just when she was about to succumb to panic, Eita comes over to calm her down and tell her that the exams usually don't start on time, and as expected, it got delayed so all is well on that end. And then Ena asks Mio if she could go on a date with him, and of course the answer is no. That was nice to see how things were back in middle school before Eita transferred out of town as everything was all nice and well there, but not so much today.

Comment

Re: Episode 7

I think I have a soft spot for Ena. Even though it was late coming, I think they way the serious development happened with her and Eita was surprisingly rather effective. It was mostly playful before this, but it also lets us reflect back on them in a rather happy way free of drama. Mio on the other hand, caused Eita pain and drama over her dithering about Haruto. I do still rather like Mio and her snark too, though, and with her feelings for Eita also getting some decent focus, there are the intended conflicted feelings. Interesting Mio didn't take that long in shooting down Ena asking for permission (a permission for something other than a photograph for once). Sadly I don't think Ena has much of a chance. I feel like even if Ena had gone to approach Eita (or does so even anyway, even after Mio tells her she doesn't want it), he's not going to agree to date her. He's clearly had his eyes on Mio and hasn't walked that back despite the bumps he's had with that road. I'll be interested to see how things play out.

Comment

Episode 8

A date is a meeting in secret.

So despite Mio saying that she can't go on a date with Eita, Ena does so anyway, and the two spend it in Enoshima. Things are getting rocky between Eita and Mio there when the three happen to bump into each other on the way there with Mio heading out to cram school. Even though his future is kind of settled, Eita is still studying to get into Suizan University, which is Mio's first choice school. The exam she took was for her backup choice with the one for Suizan coming soon. With the way things are going, who Eita ends up with will come down to how he and Mio do on the entrance exam, as well as if Ena can win first prize at the photo competition. Should be quite interesting to see how things transpire seeing that Eita is starting to waver between these two suitors in front of him.

Comment

Re: Episode 8

Heh, and Ena shows up while Mio is there. The awkwardness is so thick there. It's hilarious how Mio decides to get off in who knows where to escape from that atmosphere. While Eita definitely still gets the impression Mio is first fin his mind, it does look like Ena has gotten to charm him. As Haruto puts it, I like their chemistry. Probably why I've been feeling more on Ena's team though Mio is interesting too. That school Eita is focused on to be with Mio... doesn't even seem like one where Mio has deep feelings for aiming on her own accord, but rather because of her sister (seems to be a common theme this season. Little sisters being overly conscious about their big sisters out-achieving them). Do wonder if she's going to change her mind there which would also unknowingly shake things up with Eita. I knew that was Morikawa at the end, but it is quite the change that it's amusing to see Eita's shock. Do wonder what's coming with her approach to Haruto.

Comment

Episode 9

It's her decision to make.

Mio finally has made up her mind about what she wants to do with her life after everything that has been going on. She changes her first choice of college and is not even going to take the exam for her original first choice. She's getting the big picture as she only wanted to attend Suizan because that's where her big sister goes to school, but she has even greater aspirations, and Joei happens to fit her life goals better. And she also decides that she's in love with Haruto instead of Eita realizing that Haruto's long-distance-to-be relationship with Hazuki just isn't going to work out. Quite a big game-changer that was, and at this point the relationships have been unrequited. It will be interesting to see how all this turns out as Mio made some pretty drastic decisions this late into the game, but she's now committed to what she decided unlike before when she was pretty wishy-washy about it.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X