X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Fall 2017] King's Game Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    王様ゲーム The Animation

A horror show where students in a class are forced into playing a death version of the king's game where everybody must obey the one known as the King or else die a gruesome death.

Airs: Thursday, October 5, 2017

Studio: Seven

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

Nobuaki Kanazawa, who transferred to a high school far away, is afraid of getting intimate with his new classmates because of the events that happened from his previous school. This led him to shut his heart. However, he starts to open up during the sports festival's class relay. He and all his classmates received an email from "Ousama." At first, his classmates didn?t take what they were told seriously, thinking it's just a joke, but Nobuaki, the only one who knows the real meaning of it, fights against the "death" game that will soon begin?

The rules of the Ousama Game are as follows:
    1. All class members must participate.
    2. The order sent by Ousama through email must be followed within 24 hours.
    3. A punishment will be given to those who don't follow the order.
    4. Quitting the Ousama Game halfway is forbidden.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these two easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please indicate in the first line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please quote that post (or a relevant reply to that post), or include the episode title in the first line. ("Re: Episode 1") Just make sure the episode is indicated.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Chise Hatori, The Ancient Magus' Bride
    Currently Watching: Fate/Apocrypha, Ajin, ID-0, Overlord, JBA-SC, OPC, DBZ-K, HXH, NAR-S
    Simulcasts: ALT, WBM, SOM-3, YYY-2, B3B-2, UMR-2, 3GL-2, KBW-2, AMB, UQH, IYK, GLT, BLS, KHK, AGT, NJU, CRZ, JBC, IDM-CGT, OSF, OYP
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

When you're in a horror movie, you might make poor decisions. It's what you do.

That was a pretty brutal way to begin this show. Nobuaki is a cursed child as for some reason he's subjected to another round of King's Game where those who disobey are killed in gruesome ways. Right off the bat, ten kids are killed for disobeying orders by going into a deep sleep, something that came at the stroke of midnight, and Natsuko escaped death by kissing an unwilling Nobuaki with seconds to spare. People are understandably paranoid there not believing Nobuaki, but unfortunately they are roped into this mess.

So with that, I'll give it the usual trial period. While the story has lots of intrigue, I feel that there's way too much cringeworthy stuff that's to come as there was so much of it here already. Not to mention, Studio Seven has a pretty poor reputation for animation quality in their shorts, though this one is better than what they have done in the past (Studio Deen would have been perfect for this show instead of giving it to a studio that has never done a full-length show before). Not to mention Nobuaki just irritates me, but at least his backstory is interesting.
    Currently Watching: Fate/Apocrypha, Ajin, ID-0, Overlord, JBA-SC, OPC, DBZ-K, HXH, NAR-S
    Simulcasts: ALT, WBM, SOM-3, YYY-2, B3B-2, UMR-2, 3GL-2, KBW-2, AMB, UQH, IYK, GLT, BLS, KHK, AGT, NJU, CRZ, JBC, IDM-CGT, OSF, OYP
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

I watched it, but it's not off to a great start. Sorry, but killing 9 of the class because they were already asleep when a message comes saying no deep rest?

That's just cheating so they don't have to concentrate on as many people.So, where are the police? Where are the exorcists? Because there needs to be an attempted counter by the forces of good, even assuming this is a supernatural event. Seriously, you'd have media all over this.

So as logic goes, this one is a fail at the start. Still, they went out of their way to make the, so far, lead girl very likeable, so I might watch just to see where this goes, but I'm not overly optimistic.
      My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
      1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
      2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
      3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

Re: Episode 1

Yep, a decent concept, but messy execution all-around. Annoying characters across the board and lousy visuals.
        My Top Anime | Manga
        My Collection
        My FP Reviews
        FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 2

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

This game just continues to be brutal, and even more so when there's so much hate going around. First, there's Shouta who hates Daisuke, and orders him to hang himself. Normally, an order to give an order would be a sigh of relief, but with Shouta giving the order it's something to be afraid of. Just when it looked like Nobuaki saw that Daisuke survived, it turns out that the clock was ahead and Daisuke ended up dying anyway. Then there's Natsuko who has turned the entire class against Nobuaki by making it appear that he's trying to rape her. While Nobuaki is trying to bring order and unity, these students want none of it, but Nobuaki made plenty of self-inflicted wounds along the way.

So with that, I'll give it one more episode, though it's unlikely I'll be watching this to the end. While the drama is decent, the other things are just irritating.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

So, the question is whether Natsuko really is a bad girl, or is she just under the influence of the King. The fact that her parents died violently only muddies the water. True, Nobuaki needs to get his act together if he truly wants to help.

I can take these kinds of shows only if the bad guy gets his ass kicked by the end. I hope it's a not some lame plot like Nobuake is really the King without knowing it. Or some other such nonsense...
            Avatar: Tanya Degurechaff from Saga of Tanya the Evil

Comment

Re: Series & Episode 2

What I'm putting behind spoiler tags concerns the execution of this series, no plot details are revealed, but it does, I think, help explain the sloppy execution and structure of the series.

Spoiler -> This series is based on several properties which started with King's Game/Ousama Game. So far they have combined 2 of those series in the first 2 episodes, the original and the immediate sequel. I think this explains a lot about the problems I've been having with the structure and execution of this series so far.. If they're going to cram in things from other properties into the series, the content overload is just going to get worse, and would explain some of the unforgiveable shortcuts they've taken so far.

So, while what I put in the spoiler explains a lot, to me, about the structure and execution issues, it doesn't explain away all of the flaws. I think there's been sloppy work here over all.

I thought Episode 2 was better than Episode 1, although it kind of wandered off track with the sudden reveal of Natsuko's yandere side. The question becomes whether this is a split personality, she's the King, controlled by the King, possessed by the King, or if it's a hidden personality.

There's a rushed feeling to this whole series, with the class way too slow to grasp Natsuko's yandere nature, or the change from beating up a guy who she claimed was making advances on her, when just a minute before, she was stripping down to mount another guy in front of the whole class. And that was after she was completely fighting off the guy, which was after she was asking MC to take her first time.

So while Natsuko's all over the chart, her classmates' reaction to her is just absurd. But like I said, this was better than the first episode. The flashback sequence worked pretty well, although MC really needs to check his watch settings, as that's twice there's been a screwup due to an improperly synced clock.
              My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
              1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
              2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and

Comment

huh. I see a lot of people comparing this show to Mayoiga. Personally, I find this to be on par with the likes of Pupa; Big Order; and Onara Gorou. Mayoiga is a masterpiece in comparison. That probably isn't saying much given the notoriety Mayoiga has among the fandom; but after two episodes in, this show has already seeded itself as so comically bad, it really should pass off as comedy. There's nothing shocking about it. It redefines schlock; with its puppet characters (at least Mayoiga's characters were fleshed out to some degree), poor direction, and nonsensical sequencing.

Really? "..dies unless he hang's himself." Okay...so the dude commits suicide by hanging because otherwise he dies anyway (most likely from hanging). Who writes this stuff? My Lord. Mayoiga wasn't that stupid. I'll take delusional people seeing monster penguins, over lame, characterless, caricatures acting stupid because hocus-pocus.

I'll continue to watch for now just for the laughs, but it's not promising. I doubt it'll turn 180 as I had initially thought of Brynhildr in the Darkness; so I not expecting it'll be any better than what we've already seen with these early episodes.

Comment

@Sensifu: Heh. I was just thinking how much better this would be if it were played for laughs. Mix this is a blender with Konosuba, and, oh the possibilities!

You're right, it's not good. I'm not sure how long I'll be staying, though I have a weakness for mysteries, but it's looking more and more like this is going to be train-wreck-watching-mode for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Sensuifu View Post

huh. I see a lot of people comparing this show to Mayoiga.
                    What came to mind for me was Danganronpa (the first one anyhow, since I didn't watch any of the follow-ons). That, and all those slasher movies where teenagers lose 50 IQ points just for being put in a environment where their lives are in danger.

Comment

Episode 3

If it's for a friend, then do it.

This show just continues to be messed up here. First of all, I'm pretty sure that a number of students have died, but somehow there are 31 votes that decided who's popular between Naoya and Kana, and for the third straight episode it says ten students have died even though two more have died since then. And of course, this game has brought out the absolute worst out of the characters, none more than Natsuko. So here, the order is to do a popularity poll between Naoya and Kana with the loser dying, and Naoya managed to win it after Nobuaki used his magic to get a number of students to switch their votes. Naoya is in the clear, but it turns out that Natsuko was given another order and because she died before she could fulfill it, Naoya has to have sex. While Naoya's none too thrilled, Chiemi saves the day by letting him have sex with her. So with that, Naoya is in the clear for now, but of course the game has only just begun, and while Nobuaki has Kenta to count on, Natsuko is determined to take him out.

So with that, I'm afraid I'll have to disobey the king's order to watch this crap show as there is just so much wrong with this show. So with that, it's game over for King's Game as I wasn't really all that excited about this show to begin with, anyway.

Comment

Re: Episode 3

I guess buttsecks between Naoya and Nobuaki wasn't possible. If he loved Chiemi so much, maybe a little self-sacrifice wouldn't hurt?.. ok, maybe not.
                        Still, that bloody explosion from Kana throwing herself out the window..'I don't want to die! But let me throw myself out the window for good measure.' What a crock. Still watching to see how these dufuses cull themselves from the gene pool.

Comment

Re: Episode 3
                          Originally posted by Sensuifu View Post
                          I guess buttsecks between Naoya and Nobuaki wasn't possible. If he loved Chiemi so much, maybe a little self-sacrifice wouldn't hurt?..
                          Yes, the same thought occurred to me. Also, the way the order was phrased, even Naoya going solo should have fulfilled the order.

Comment

Episode 4

Well just about everyone acting stupid, all around. Really Nami, you just took Nobuaki's theory as fact and ran with it? And Nobuaki going to pieces and shutting down all brain functions? <sigh>

Ria seems to be the only one acting level headed. I guess the king will have to eliminate her soon. Can't have anyone thinking calmly and rationally after all.

And how did Nobuaki know about the original village? I guess he did some research after his frist class went down. Hopefully we'll also get the answer why the game seems to be following Nobuaki around.

Comment

Re: Episode 4

For shame Nobuaki; forget to lose the clothes on your back? Run around with your schlong for the whole world to see and verify if if there's confirmation. Isn't decency and respect something important? I know semantics and what not, but I would guess 'something' could be considered different from 'someone'...

Sorry to say, but Nami had it coming to her. Why risk her life for something as stupid as that order is beyond comprehension. I'm pretty sure it's not considered rude to be laughing through all this. And Ria is just plain strange...Curious to see if her stoicism shifts into manic hysteria after learning what's in store on her turn.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X