Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Episode 7

Festival of fools.

It's that time of year again when the summer festival is on, and in this town it's especially special. The girls were cute all dressed up, while doing all sorts of fun things. Well, not exactly as Yuzu danced and almost got carried away going home. Then there's Ren who was not exactly having a fun time there. It's a good thing she has Natsume to rely upon. Pretty typical summer festival episode there as it's all about the god times.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Lecia Ivyred, The Rising of the Shield Hero
    Watching: Kyo Kara Maoh, Pokemon Sun and Moon, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, DRO, CQK, RSH, AOT, BSD, FRB, OPM, KYB, FGN, SKS, MLA, SMT, HBS, KOT, MIX, WNL, KMA, FIL, IDM, ISQ, SRG, STW
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 7

I was wondering if Satsuki's heavy reluctance to go to the festival was about potentially running into her sister being involved or something. And that point is kind of confirmed in the gift she wants being something to hide her face. Sweet how Yuzu wants to return the favor for what Satsuki got her before.

Yuzu has a habit of being obliviously swept into the supernatural. Really do wonder if we get a potential end of the cour crisis related to that habit. But here I love how it's the ghost schoolgirl from the previous episode who helped out. Yuzu's warm, befriending presence get people wanting to do the same for her.

Okiku is seemingly kept away because of the potential of getting caught up in something similar to Yuzu. It's cute how she's pouty about not being able to go, but she does get to enjoy the fireworks from home. Hope she will to go next year as she's feeling deep down that she wants to do.

Ren still has it so very deeply for Natsume, and misunderstands again on how much Natsume really cares for her back. She's got such a cool "boyfriend". Really happy to see how their festival experience improved on the last once. And hopefully they'll have grown even further by the next time. I could hope more steps forward even come this cour.

It's interesting Ren and Natsume have their summery experience just as the ED moves on from their song with the summery themed sequence. We get one with Kiri and Sakura. There was a bit of a nice moment with that pairing this episode too. Wonder if we will be seeing some actual Sakura focus soon. And I assume this means the last three episodes we'll probably have Yuzu and Satsuki (when I expect there will be some heavy focus perhaps related to Satsuki's priesthood goals).

Comment

Episode 8

Life is a lie, but it doesn't have to be that way.

This time, there are three different guests that arrive at Konohanatei each with family issues. First, there's Matsumoto that is living with adoptive parents who aren't exactly treating her as a real daughter. As such, Matsumoto has been telling lies, but Yuzu isn't fooled by them. Matsumoto is given a purpose to live after that talk and she becomes a picture book artist. Then there's Kaito running away from home, and as it turns out he is actually a dog in the real world and is a pet to the third guest, who is a father and was living a good life until a truck accident strained his relationship with his family. But once again, everybody figures things out after making a visit to Konohanatei and all is well for them. Having someone to talk out problems to is a really useful thing to do.
        Simulcasts: FTL, DRO, CQK, RSH, AOT, BSD, FRB, OPM, KYB, FGN, SKS, MLA, SMT, HBS, KOT, MIX, WNL, KMA, FIL, IDM, ISQ, SRG, STW
        The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 8

Satsuki can tell when Yuzu is angry. It's funny I was thinking "that's angry?" before even the other girls said it. Yuzu is such a special being on happiness that it's hard for her to actually look angry. But Satsuki knows her so intimately at this point that she can tell.

It's interesting to see the ordinary humans who were spirited away here aren't necessarily dead (even if the last guy might think it). I could tell Matsumoto was making up stories even before she first admitted it. She's an adorable (Ueda Reina works well for that) liar. Not one that's malicious at all, and Yuzu is so sweetly quick to realize it, making her realize there may be people appreciative of her stories. I love how Matsumoto ends up finding someone right away, who was worried about her state.

The interconnectedness we get with the later boy's and man's stories to the first one is really nice. Quite an interesting twist we got with just what the "boy" is. Nice to have a happy, fulfilled family in the end with a little inspiration from their visit to Konohanatei.

Comment

Episode 9

Double, double toil and trouble. This god here is of many bubble.

First guest is a turtle, and he?s not exactly the run-of-the-mill turtle. As much as Yuzu would like to go underwater to see what he is all about, her lungs can?t handle it. Then comes Awanami, a high-ranking god, and Ren is thrilled to serve one. But that?s not exactly her as she?s actually a collection of many mini bubbles. Things sure got crazy and hectic with those little bubble spirits, and it turns out that Awanami is undergoing rebirth. So that dream, well Ren will have to wait a bit longer on that. Pretty hilarious episode this is.

Comment

Re: Episode 9

Hah, I love the fakeout on the turtle supposedly taking Yuzu and Sakura the underwater shrine. I had thought they were just going to be able to magically breathe underwater due to his powers or something, but no, they have to rely on lung capacity and fail quickly on that regard. Ah, and the fact they were diving into a pond and not the sea, so eccentric old turtle wasn't taking them anywhere really. I like how all of the others (and dang, I'm not sure if it's come up before, but Sakura is strong) besides Yuzu are merciless on him. I was expecting something like it, but Yuzu's response to a place where she didn't have to work was so danged sweet. And even sweeter is how much Satsuki really falls for that side on her. Hnnnngg!

And soon they get a much more important guest than the turtle. Even being a revered (and sexy) god, though, Awanami is also kind of trolling them. It's nice to get a bit more of Ren's character that is independent of her crush of Natsume, in how deeply she has desired to serve a high-ranking god, and how much it hits her when she feels she has apparently failed. Natsume is of course here for her quite supportively in that down moment. And I like how Ren reacts to ever-sweet Yuzu trying to take the blame. Ren was going all out to try to keep the situation under control before Kiri found out, but she wasn't going to run for it.

Comment

Episode 10

Large or in charge.

And now, an episode about Satsuki as she's been through quite a lot. First, she shrinks down after eating what she thought was sweets that is actually medicine to become small, and she goes about trying to get work done when she can't do anything at that size. In the end, she is on Yuzu's shoulder directing orders and stuff, and everybody managed to survive the day. Just when the people are getting to like mini-Satsuki, she's back to normal size the next day. Then Satsuki's sister is back, and the princess is with her wanting to see some kagura dancing. But Satsuki is going to have to fill in, and while she pulls it off, Satsuki is pretty critical about it as it feels that she's imitating it and not really putting the needed soul into it. Anyway, that was pretty fun to see Satsuki trying to do things that aren't exactly to her liking.

Comment

Re: Episode 10

Heh, when the rat guy was talking about the effects of his medicine, just as Satsuki had tried an unknown substance, I thought "I like where this is going"... in quite an adorable direction. Okiku reacts about as I would expect to having her role taken. It's funny how she actually wasn't pleased at all about being the dress-up doll at first, but now the scary "cursed" side is coming out in jealousy over that very fact. Poor cute little Satsuki. A lot falls on her to keep things going around the inn, and now she's reduced to giving orders, even that ineffectively since she can't really project her voice in that state. Frustrated by Natsume really walking all over her ability to get away from the usual scoldings... Yuzu doesn't really serve as a forceful translator either.

This really serves quite nicely to get Satsuki to see sides of Yuzu that she really hadn't gotten to noticed. A different angle, and one that makes her fall even more deeply in love with her. Yuzu is so naturally inclined to good hospitality: she makes me think of others like Megumi from Food Wars in that way. Satsuki realizes she doesn't really have to order her to do much because Yuzu can do great things on her own. But it's not at the work: Satsuki also sees how deeply Yuzu cares for her and wants her to be back to her old self. Even though Natsume was just being her usual teasing self, Yuzu gets to being quite emotional over it in a way that Satsuki feels deeply for. Heh, I love how when Satsuki is finally back to normal, Kiri the troll plants suggestions over how she got turned back that really stirs her feeling over Yuzu quite adorably.

Now we finally get to see some focus on Satsuki's sister Hiiragi, their feelings on each other. I love how Ren was really anticipating the potential sibling soap opera. Fitting for her since she seems drawn to dramatics in her own relationship. So much for priestess celibacy, too... Hiiragi seems to be quite the playgirl. She quickly gets to hitting on Ren. Since it's usually the other way around with those two, with Natsume being the happy-go-lucky seemingly sort-of clueless one, it's interesting to see Natsume actually be the one quite visibly angry in jealousy. Also interesting is that even though Yuzu really seems to get to charming almost everyone in the series, Hiiragi is about the first person we've come across who doesn't seem to warm quickly to her presence. Satsuki has to stick up for her at once. In the end, it seems Hiiragi is actually a little jealous over how they've warmed up to Satsuki.

Ayame seems to really want to get Satsuki into the priestess position, and really hits at Yuzu right in her weak point over that possibility (I wonder what her game is there). Yuzu is down on over herself feeling "selfish" and tries to encourage Satsuki to take up the priestess dance even in spite of those worries deep down. But when Satsuki lets out her feelings about being inferior to her sister (interestingly her sister feels quite the opposite), Yuzu gets to feeling really emotional over seemingly having subjected Satsuki to it. Yuzu really gets me to thinking of how similar to Miyako from ImoutoSae she in how powerful her aura of empathy is (a feeling we've even had some focus on in recent ep of Girls' Last Tour: this is the season of empathy). I do wonder if things are going to come to a head over Satsuki potentially leaving soon and how that affects Yuzu. Seems like a fitting subject of a season finale.

The ending changes have really been nice. I like how, besides different duos singing the theme, how we've shifted through all of the seasons.

Comment

Episode 11

Make dolls, not war.

It sure is tough being a war god when there's no war going on, but there are still plenty of things to do for a war god seeing that there are no other practical uses for a katana. And those sisters, they sure do love to party. Konohanatei was a different place back then. And then Okiku goes out and finds another doll in the exactly opposite situation as she is in Lily. Okiku was never played with, which explains why she's got the clean look, while Lily was played with quite a lot with the scratches and broken parts as a sign of that. So there's a tradeoff, but being played with has its benefits as Lily tells her that the scratches serve as memories. Lily sure had a great time on Earth and nearly bit the dust when she was accidentally thrown away in the trash and was successfully salvaged to avert disaster. So with that, there's one more episode and ringing in the new year is how this will end.

Comment

Re: Episode 11

It's very interesting to now get a take on what modernity means for the gods who are regular here. I like that it's rather nuanced and not a "things were better back in the day" kind of take, but just that things are different. In some ways, it's better now, I'd say. It's good thing that god of war has nothing to do and lot of free time to do things like keep Sakura company. The entertainment gods are still lively even though there's not a many festivals anymore. I love how Halloween is a culprit. Danged foreign imported holidays... And with them, it's actually Natsume this time who is worried about their attention she gets. Heh, and very amusing to see what just a little "makeup" does for the Okami. I realized who that was immediately because Ogata Megumi's voice is rather distinct but fun to see how it plays out for the attendants who are not used to seeing her like that.

I had kind of been hoping we would get some Okiku focus again, and what we do get here is really quite wonderful and very emotional. Though I had a feeling Lily was going to be one who was not meant to stay there, I kind of hope Okiku gets a doll girlfriend someday. It would be sweet for her to get a lover too. Really gets to be quite heavy in different ways for what Lily brings out both about herself and about Okiku, in the different ways dolls can have a sad existence. I had cried a little bit already, but I absolutely loved at the end I actually got to cry out more in happy tears. Such a wonderfully emotional surprise resurrection. Lily had such a sweet owner who never felt she had outgrown her.

Comment

Episode 12 (Finale)

There's a nice, warm home to return to.

And so it ends with everybody ringing in the new year, but on her way to the shrine, Yuzu ends up taking an unintended detour because of that scroll dug up in the attic that ended up taking her to a place where gods grant wishes at the shrine if it can. Yuzu is in quite a bad situation since she can't go back, but it happened. And her wish is to give Tsubaki a warm home seeing that she is originally from a desolate place. So in the end she returns home and values her home of Konohanatei more than anything. Quite a nice way to end this show as it definitely made me smile in s big way, all while things were just beautiful.

Overall, this show is nice as a feel-good show, not so much as something story-driven as the whole guests-of-the-week format really felt repetitive and stale. That said, the show was enjoyable for the cute characters, the antics, and the mysteries surrounding the guests, while the artwork was gorgeous to support the tone of the show. But at the same time, I was hoping for some character growth, but there wasn't a whole lot to go on, all while some of the main cast just were there and didn't really get any attention. But in the end, it's a show that was well worth my time.

MAL Rating:

Comment

Re: Episode 12 (Finale)

I love the criticism of humans only going to a shrine in ages to make wishes for themselves is followed up by the author self-insert character reacting. Heh, so maybe a humorous bit of self-criticism.

Yuzu really can't get over habit of getting lost and spirited away. Makes me think of the comparisons of her character to Akari from Aria even more. This time we get a very interesting look at the Okami Tsubaki's past and what she was hard at work doing even before Konohanatei came into existence. She was at her job of kenzoku because her original home was destroyed, and I love how Yuzu's genuine heartfelt empathy for her ends up being what really gets her back home. Actually kind of making Tsubaki's ultimate home a reality, somewhat paradoxically, in the process, since Inari Ohkami seems to only get the idea with Yuzu's visit. I love how everything is all tied sweetly together. Interesting to see the lunch lady Kozue was one of Tsubaki's co-workers going all the way back here. Yanagi is such a hard-edged tsundere that I wonder if she could be an ancestor of Satsuki and Hiiragi.

Tsubaki does bring it up to Yuzu again here, about the eventuality of her and the others she's gotten to know at her home in Konohanatei going their separate ways. The fact that Satsuki wants to become a priestess has always been in the fore, but I find it interesting we get the idea here that Yuzu has an education that makes her quite capable beyond her current position. That off-hand retort to being teased at one point, about wanting to work for the gods at Inari, comes around here when she's actually offered just that job. Though in perhaps keeping to her "home", I wonder if she is destined to get advancement at Konohanatei. That may be part of a sad parting too, though, because it would mean she would be taking on the role of one of her seniors who have left.

It was amusing that this Ukanomitama happens to have the exact same VA as Inari Konkon's. I wonder if that was done on purpose. Heh, and even Inari's VA Oozora Naomi is here too as Yanagi, even if it's a character more like Kiriha from Tsugumomo in voice.

Anyway, sad to see this wonderful series come to an end. It was real highlight to my week this season, filled with nice emotions. I'm not sure if it will be successful enough to see another season, as it has kind of niche appeal, but sure would be nice. Maybe at the very least we'll get an official English release of the manga. And with FUNi dubbing it, that bilingual Blu-ray release I'd also hope for should be coming at some point.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                          Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                          Widgets Magazine
                          Working...
                          X