X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Fall 2017] Konohana Kitan Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    このはな綺譚

A show about cute fox girls working at a hot spring inn.

Airs: Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Studio: Lerche

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

In a village inhabited by youkai, the lives of several fox mononoke working in a hot spring inn. The stories revolve around a new employee, Yuzu. Yuzu had always been living in the mountains, but now has to adjust to a new life working in a high class inn. She is oblivious and clumsy at first, but with her simple cuteness, she is able to get along with all the other foxes.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these two easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please indicate in the first line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please quote that post (or a relevant reply to that post), or include the episode title in the first line. ("Re: Episode 1") Just make sure the episode is indicated.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Latina, If It's For My Daughter, I'd Even Defeat a Demon Lord
    Watching: Princess Principal, Darling in the FranXX, Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, KYB, FRB, MIX, FIL, MTI, DUN, ALS, COP, DRS, IDD, FSN-LE, VLS, MMZ, GIV, HES, HDB, AKO, NHG, RST, SND, PKC
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Think about the surroundings.

And so it begins with Yuzu starting work as a new employee at a hot springs inn, and she's really clumsy. Even so, she's working hard and is making friends even if Satsuki isn't exactly pleased with her work. But the one thing she needs to remember is to think about the environment around the place as she has only been thinking about the job all this time and not really paying much attention to why people come here in the first place. It certainly is one of those laid-back shows where it's all about fitting in and making friends. The fox girls there are cute as they try and make business bloom there.

So this show will go through its usual procedure for the trial period. So far, it's something that I would like to see more of, but I'll wait and see how it stacks up against the other shows this season before having a better idea of where to go with this.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Latina, If It's For My Daughter, I'd Even Defeat a Demon Lord
    Watching: Princess Principal, Darling in the FranXX, Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, KYB, FRB, MIX, FIL, MTI, DUN, ALS, COP, DRS, IDD, FSN-LE, VLS, MMZ, GIV, HES, HDB, AKO, NHG, RST, SND, PKC
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

This seems like it's going to be fairly pleasant so far, like a cross between Gochiusa and Hanairo with a bit of a youkai element. Satsuki is such a cool tsundere, mostly tsun this episode. It's nice that the customer she goes out of her way to apologize to for Yuzu is a rather chill dude who actually ends up teaching her something. The bond with Yuzu herself is likely to lead to some nice development with Satsuki. Wonder if something will change from her current plans with her job.

Comment

Re: Episode 1

Whoa, I was just thinking about eufonius and how much I miss them. Then the OP started and I was immediately like, "Is this eufonius?" It's not even just riya; their style is apparently more distinctive than I gave them credit for. Appropriately, it's also the tenth anniversary of the Clannad anime.

That's the most interested I was in the episode. It's all very pleasant, pretty, cute, and gay, but as is often the case, it doesn't have enough of anything else to make me want to watch any more.
        My Top Anime | Manga
        My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
        My FP Reviews | Twitter
        FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 2

Hard work is not enough.

So Satsuki wants to be a priestess, but unfortunately she wasn't chosen to be one as her sister got the nod. Even so, she's determined to become a priestess and will work at Konohanatei until then. That was a pretty amusing adventure Satsuki and Yuzu had in town as they separate, then meet a girl who's looking for the other girl, and ends up doing so when the girl with Satsuki makes cherry blossoms bloom. Satsuki sure is thinking big there, but nevertheless she will work hard no matter where she is at.

With that, I'll give it another episode here, and given how weak the Wednesday lineup is shaking up to be that I'll take only one Wednesday show this season. So far, this one is the best of them, but again I'll give it another week, and maybe two, before finalizing that decision.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

Heh, I like the style of chibis in this show, with them seemingly going full fox form.

So now we get what's up with Satsuki's frustration. She feels she's only getting set further apart from her impressive sister the longer she works here. Yuzu has come, though, and she's gotten to become quite a unique presence for Satsuki, even from Kiri who seems close to her already. Satsuki was so aggravated about being forced to have a day off, but Yuzu brightly shows Satsuki how to make the best of what she usually doesn't do. It's sweet how Yuzu passes through her barriers there, and Satsuki gets to loosening up an playing around with her.

Well, as far as those barries go, Yuzu getting right into Satsuki's feelings about becoming a priestess is one that's hard even for her to crack at first. It's really interesting to get how strongly Yuzu takes it in the end when Satsuki shares her secret with her, realizing how special it is. Yuzu seemed like she was going to be sad at Satsuki leaving when she first heard about the priestess thing. I wonder on Satsuki's end how things will change, when she's gotten close to Yuzu but an opportunity may present itself to leave.

Comment

Episode 3

She's off limits.

So after episodes about Yuzu and Satsuki, this one is about Ren as she's got a pretty meek personality. But she has some great support around her as Natsume is always there to help her out when she's in trouble, just like at that time when a rude guest was taking a jab against her. It turns out that Natsume and Aoi are into sumo wrestling with Aoi aspiring to be one himself, but things just aren't working out. Ren and Natsume have quite a history together that dates back to the time when Ren first came to the place all battered and bruised, and Natsume was there to help her out.

So with that, it looks like this will be the one and only Wednesday show of the season as this show has the most entertainment value among the three in the running. I won't make the decision quite yet, but based on what I can expect moving forward that in all likelihood this will get the nod.

Comment

Re: Episode 3

Ren is so amusingly prickly about the two seeming screw-ups among the staff, but deep down she recognizes how sweet and wonderful they are. And well, it goes very deep with Nacchan. The best tsunderes are yuri tsunderes. Despite Natsume's cool, boyish demeanor, I love how the first thing she thought about her was how beautiful she was. Natsume ended up taking her line, though *happy tears*.

Heh, and maybe I should have guessed on the new guest who had taken a liking to Natsume. His voice was slightly boyish for someone who looked so girly. It's kind of neat how it worked out that Aoi was only comfortable because he actually thought Natsume was a boy. Cute in the end how Natsume is just as protective of their relationship as Ren when Aoi opens up about his new infatuation with Ren in the end.

It seems like all of the older foxes don't appear in humanoid form like the younger ones do. I wonder if this is something that will have an in-show explanation, or if it's just a kind of "there for the viewer" thing and that the younger ones may really be full fox the whole time too (with the way their chibis are the same in one part with the Okami, that could be it).

Comment

Episode 4

Life is but a dream, but this one isn't.

That sure was weird there, first with the egg attaching to Ren and Satsuki before some pig hatches out of it, and then the guest in Shino and her mother. Urinosuke sure is such a nice pet for the girls. And then there's Shino, who is quite a handful to deal with. As it turns out, Shino died many years ago and her mother made a doll in her place. After coming to life, first as a little girl and then as a young adult, the mother checks out to be reunited with her after so many years. That sure was emotional there as those girls gave that lady something great before her sendoff.

So with that, it looks like this show will make the cut as the one and only Wednesday show of the season. There's still one more episode of another show I'm willing to give, but chances are it won't overtake this.

Comment

Re: Episode 4

I really liked how, even after the previous episode, we're still continuing to get some nice development with Ren and Nacchan's relationship. At first just some amusing hijinks in that regard, but as we find the egg is a baku and related to dreams, also we get to reflecting back on not just Ren's issues in the relationship, but also Satsuki's with her sister and Yuzu. Ren has her fear of Nacchan abandoning her, and Satsuki is full of angst over how her sister got to be priestess instead of her, and how those dreams turn good emphasizes the development they got in the previous two episode respectively with Nacchan and Yuzu shining a light for them. It would be really nice if things continue to develop at a nice pace with those two pairings. It's surprising how deep we've gotten already.

There seems to be quite a gap in the main cast as far a being attuned to supernatural happenings around Konohanatei, the starkest being between Yuzu who never fully realizes and Kiri who is very perceptive. I wonder if this stuff could end up being part of preparing Satsuki for being a priestess. As far as Satsuki goes, it was amusing when she was out due to the egg, it was hard for her to relax when the sounds of people bungling without her are quite clear to hear. They really have a shortage of dependability when she's not on the job.

Comment

Episode 5

Weave the rainbow.

Next guests that the Konohanatei staff have to deal with are a doll that has come to life, and a seamstress who is too busy weaving that she isn't stopping to eat. Those girls sure did enjoy themselves dressing up Okiku and putting her to work seeing that she's a guest that can't pay. And then the seamstress is hard at work trying to work fast like her older sister, and producing high quality stuff like her younger sister that skipping meals is quite worrisome. But in the end, she finished and the end results are great with that rainbow. Certainly, that was beautiful what went on.

Comment

Re: Episode 5

Heh, I love how we start out with the embodiment of creepiness... a living Japanese doll, but the real horror comes not from her but the girls playing with her. Okiku is rather moe too, having me teary-eyed at her backstory. She was an unwanted gift and no one would play with her. It could be argued that if it weren't for the parents' biases, the kids might have taken to playing with her. Then the kindly priest who was entrusted with exorcising the doll instead goes to finding a nice, loving home for her. Okiku is mixed on the kind of love she's getting here. Haha. But it is still all so sweet, and I like that it seems she's going to be sticking around (I wouldn't have liked if we had to say goodbye to her already). It seems to be her who is perched on Urinosuke in the current ED.

Natsume was hoping she could have an action toy out of this, and Ren goes to dressing her up in Western clothing (Okiku protesting that it's not the intent she was made for at all: but seems like it's going to be permanent). I hadn't though of it before, but their proclivities there got to reminding me rather strongly of Hajime and Yun from New Game. They have a similar vibe going. Okiku seems to have the most to fear of Sakura, though, who is constantly out to cut doll hair. I do wonder if we get some serious focus on Sakura at some point, if Okiku might be involved in some way. Amusing now, but would be nice if something unexpectedly sweet develops there too.

Yuzu really seems to have a way with softening the hearts of stern imoutos. Her experience with Satsuki only makes her all the more suited to move things in a sweet direction with the heart-working rain weaver. There's just no way to turn down the iyashikei properties of the Yuzu.

Comment

Re: Episode 5

I highly approve of the addition of Okiku because she's truly a doll. I'm being serious here. Pretty Dolls are one of my interests. See also Dragons, Fariies, etc. So Okiku post make over is a nice addition.
                          "So be it you have control of the world, but I will rule the universe! The power of Sword and Axe!"
                          Avatar: Tatyana of Romancing SaGa 3

Comment

Episode 6

This place is a house of horrors. Or not.

Yuzu's past is explained as she's an orphan who was adopted by Bikuni, and she raised her to be a fine girl although she has quite a lot to learn. And then those horror stories and the way the girls reacted is simply priceless. It turns out that there really is a ghost haunting this place, and it is in the form of a shapeshifter that can impersonate others. However, Satsuki isn't fooled that that ghost's disguises, and in the end Yuzu sent it away after having some quality time together. Pretty nice that was learning about where Yuzu came from all while telling horror stories about it.

Comment

Re: Episode 6

The origins of Yuzu, with her getting found and raised by Bikuni, is one of the most adorable things. Really sweet to see that, and lead-up to how she came to Konohanatei.

And it turns a personality as warm and friendly as Yuzu was just what the lonely ghost girl needed. She was a lot of fun in the antics she caused as an imposter with the rest. She was quite open to yuri teasing. If Natsume ever got to be bold with Ren, we see tsundere Ren wouldn't mind it all. One of my favorite lines so far: "I should have brushed my teeth." I hope Ren actually does get that kiss eventually. Also fun getting the play on the terror of Sakura being doubled (which even the ghost can't match), and how Kiri exposes herself as the real one.

This show really continues to have such a very enjoyably balanced blend of cuteness, fun, and heartwarming. Also great to see how Okiku is added as a regular to the OP.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X