X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Fall 2017] Urahara Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    ウラハラ

A show about three high school girls running a shop in Harajuku and fighting alien invaders who are after the city's culture.

Airs: Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Studio: Shirogumi, EMT^2

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

Three high school girls are putting together a limited-time shop called "PARK" in Japan's Harajuku. One day, aliens come to Earth with the intent to steal the famed district's culture. At the same time, a mysterious girl appears. The three girls band together to defeat the alien threat and protect their beloved Harajuku.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these two easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please indicate in the first line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please quote that post (or a relevant reply to that post), or include the episode title in the first line. ("Re: Episode 1") Just make sure the episode is indicated.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Latina, If It's For My Daughter, I'd Even Defeat a Demon Lord
    Watching: Princess Principal, Darling in the FranXX, Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, KYB, FRB, MIX, FIL, MTI, DUN, ALS, COP, DRS, IDD, FSN-LE, VLS, MMZ, GIV, HES, HDB, AKO, NHG, RST, SND, PKC
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Protect your culture.

That was just weird there, and the animation style lets you know that you are in for quite a lot of weirdness. Three girls run a shop on Harujuku, and they are out to protect the city from aliens known as Scoopers, and these Scoopers are out to scoop all of the culture for themselves as they can't create their own somehow. They kidnapped a little girl and a talking piece of fried shrimp that was just saved. Pretty interesting start to this as the animation certainly does its part being of the watercolor style like in ACCA.

So with that, I'll give it a few episodes to see if it is something I want to see. So far, there are arguments both ways, so I'll wait and see what comes of it.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Latina, If It's For My Daughter, I'd Even Defeat a Demon Lord
    Watching: Princess Principal, Darling in the FranXX, Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, KYB, FRB, MIX, FIL, MTI, DUN, ALS, COP, DRS, IDD, FSN-LE, VLS, MMZ, GIV, HES, HDB, AKO, NHG, RST, SND, PKC
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

What the fuck was that? So utterly hideous on every level, with most of the episode stuck on inane nothingness, then an even more nonsensical attempt to have a plot, impossible to care about and full of painfully unfunny attempts at humor.
      My Top Anime | Manga
      My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
      My FP Reviews | Twitter
      FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Re: Episode 1

Positive, I like the visuals of the show for the most part. I'm also curious about the foreshadowing scene at the start, assuming it's not a random scene tat never happens.

Negative, the talking fried shrimp will give me nightmares and there the "premise" needs a bit more weight to it even for a show like this.

In the long run, I doubt the show will be anything amazing, but it seems like it could be harmless fluff. So I'll keep watching for now.
        "So be it you have control of the world, but I will rule the universe! The power of Sword and Axe!"
        Avatar: Tatyana of Romancing SaGa 3

Comment

Episode 2

Pop goes the Scooper.

So Urahara is the name of an alternative version of Harajuku created by a barrier and it was created as a battlefield for the girls to fight the Scoopers. Yep, the show just continues to get weirder as the art style is pretty indicative of that. Instead of falling donuts, now it's falling popcorn as Mari wanted.

With that, I guess I'll give it one more episode. With the way the season is filling up, I only have room for one Wednesday show this season, so all it has to do is be the best Wednesday show to be in. But at this point, it doesn't look like it is.

Comment

Episode 3

Writing on the wall.

The Scoopers are after a wall painting that Rito is in the process of painting, and this time, the aliens turn to macarons, and something else called a Shirako. The girls are given free crepes for all their troubles as once again Harajuku comes under attack. Well, that was just weird once again that my mind really isn't able to handle everything that just went down.

So with that, this show has hit the drop zone as it's clear that this show is just being weird for the sake of being weird and not really doing anything for me. One Wednesday show will make the cut, but it isn't going to be this.

Comment

Episode 4

It was interesting to get much deeper into Kotoko's personality this time, and that there's really some issues behind her role as the brains of the operation. It seems her scientific obsessiveness has really caused her to be shunned in the past, to where she's gotten so self-conscious about it and troubled that Rito and Mari will leave her over pushing the investigation about their bodies, if it turns out it doesn't lead anywhere. But going for the hair and blood without telling them just looks odder. Kotoko lacks some common sense, but it fits with her background. But of course Rito and Mari aren't really going to think badly of her and realize she's actually concerned for them. Was a very sweet moment when they finally get Kotoko to realize it.

And it turns out Kotoko was about to find something out, but that got tampered with. Girl and shrimp were already acting rather suspicious at one point earlier... Feel bad for the lead trio: feels whatever they needed to find out here may come out too late, and I'm very curious just what that shrimp's goals are.

Comment

Episode 5

The girls continue to deal with scoopers and scoopers and even scroopers.
                "So be it you have control of the world, but I will rule the universe! The power of Sword and Axe!"

Comment

Episode 6

Well the girls are starting to look more like they did from the cold open of episode 1. Also Misa just casually reveals they're not human anymore. Misa makes "indeed" creepy.

Comment

Episode 7

Dear lord, this might be the best episode of the series yet. We get to see debates over creativity and originality.

We learn that Misa is a scooper (shock!)

But more importantly is the gradual break down of the girls. Seeing Mari and Kotoko become corrupt like that is just wow.

Also, interestingly enough, wer'e now in a reverse scenario from what we aexpected from the cold open of episode 1.

It's Rito that's "herself" and dealing with a corrupted Mari and Kotoko. So maybe something happens between the end of this episode whatever leads to that cold open.

I'm going to be killed for saying this, but something about Mari and Kotoko meeting each other in their corrupted state was almost kind of erotic. It's still creepy sure, but... Yeah, I'll jump in the volcano now.
                    Last edited by Momoka Kibi; 11-15-2017, 11:51 PM.

Comment

Re: Episode 7

So evil girl and shrimp finally reveal their true colors, and boy do things go downhill rather quickly, particularly for Mari. I saw some complaints that Kotoko's issues from before she met her friends several episodes back were kind of glossed over, but seeing what happens here, it's not surprised they waited to get more deeply into them. Rito has not had as big of a breakdown and is determined to try and get them all back together, but it doesn't look like that's going to be easy. We're only a little over halfway into the series, which hints that maybe picking up the pieces is going to perhaps be a long, painful process. Interested in what's coming next regardless.

Comment

Episode 8

Poor Rito ends up finding she's is at this point she is completely alone in what she wants to fight for. Rather curious if we find out more about Sayumin. She's felt just as suspicious as the shrimp team to me (though this episode we see Misa may perhaps be open to having sympathy), though Rito constantly protests that the evil Sayumin (Scooper alien?) she's confronted with here is a fake. Was she just in denial on that point? In the end, even though Rito goes as far as killing(?) Sayumin to protect Park, she ultimately loses on the point of becoming a Scooper as she's cornered even further in the aftermath. Rito rationalizes that she can do this on her own terms, but it doesn't seem like things are going to work out as she hopes. Really looking forward to just what's going to come next with these girls.

Comment

Re: Episode 8

Originally posted by EmperorBrandon View Post
                          (though this episode we see Misa may perhaps be open to having sympathy),
                          I can't help but feel there is more to Misa's role than just being the one who introduces the plot twist that activates "angst mode". Sure we've had scenes of her putting on act and suspicious scenes. However we've also had select scenes where she shows concern at times you can't play it off as an act. Because there's no audience around.

My belief on Misa is that she legit wants to help her kind be able to create and enjoy creativity, but like many people motivated by a good cause she's chosen a questionable method. Either on her own or because someone else convinced her. Ie the Shrimp who seems to be a competely separate species. Maybe he sees the Scoopers as just tools?

One thing we don't know is this. Was Misa born a Scooper? Was she turned into one? If the former she might represent a higher being Scooper. If the latter then she would represent a higher stage in the transformation. It's hard to say unless they give us a flashback episode on Misa.

In any case, Misa is in the best position to help them or at the very least observe them. Maybe her observing what they've become and how wrong it is will be what motivates her to either cure them of being Scoopers or alternatively make them at least Scoopers with a mind of their own. I'm assuming that Misa has her own will.

Rito rationalizes that she can do this on her own terms, but it doesn't seem like things are going to work out as she hopes. Really looking forward to just what's going to come next with these girls.
                          In the short run, she's definitely going to have problems. In fact, I'm fully expecting episode 9 to be well maybe not an acid trip episode, but at least an episode with dream like imagery. Ie their imaginations will run will wild, they'll see things, etc. It may or may not also contains scenes of them "following" orders.

In the long run is another story. The idealistic scenario is they magically cure themselves of being Scoopers through sheer will power. However I think it's more likely they'll end up staying as Scoopers, but become Scoopers with well individuality. In turn that might inspire Misa to learn how to be creative on her own terms despite being a Scooper.

Comment

Episode 9

Rito's delusion of being her creative self even as a Scooper is brutally shattered in a mere matter of seconds. She pretty much gets into the same euphoric trance as Mari. And speaking of that, interesting how quickly this turns into a complete reversal of the situation from the previous episode. Rito's transformation gets to be so thoroughly shocking to her friends that it seemingly breaks them out of their trance. And then Rito goes into a drawing rampage that seems more thoroughly destructive than anything Sayumin did in the previous episode.

Mari, as hard as she doesn't want to, does think of trying to fight Rito. In the end, though, it's the good ol' power of friendship as Mari and Kotoko get to latch onto one aspect of Rito's drawing that goes back to where they all began. Nice to get the origin of their friendship but also Park along with it. Though it was at a different store, it's interesting how they all met as coworkers to begin with.

Creepy shrimp's faces have been fun to watch, but never more so when the girls seem to so completely foil him by destroying their Amatsumara. It undoes their gruesome state so thoroughly that even the girls are surprised by the "miracle". This solution was in front of them the whole time, but they never thought of it due to shrimp's clever manipulation. Well, we've still got three episodes left, though, and apparently he's already got something up his sleeve (err... in his batter?) Misa was seemingly not all in sync with him in her feelings for the girls this episode. She's just kind of been standing around, but feels like she's going to be important in some way with what comes next. Rather curious just what we're going to get of her.
                            Last edited by EmperorBrandon; 11-29-2017, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Re: Episode 9

Rito's transformation gets to be so thoroughly shocking to her friends that it seemingly breaks them out of their trance. And then Rito goes into a drawing rampage that seems more thoroughly destructive than anything Sayumin did in the previous episode.
                              Rito definitely forced both of them (whether she intended or not) to figuratively look into a mirror. It's also possible that they care more about Rito than themselves. Ie they accept their own defeat, but once they saw Rito was too, they couldn't accept. It could also be one of those cases where someone can only notice an issue when it happens to someone else. Either way it was wake up call for them.

Misa was seemingly not all in sync with him in her feelings for the girls this episode. She's just kind of been standing around, but feels like she's going to be important in some way with what comes next. Rather curious just what we're going to get of her.
                              There's so much to speculate here, but my general prediction is this. Episode 10 will be our Misa's despair episode with some character development for her. Episode 11 will have Misa saved by the power of speeches. Episode 12 will have the Shrimp defeated hopefully soon enough for a a decent epilogue. Still the one thing I am hoping is this.

That the girls don't just magically get back the same set of powers except this time with no cons. I mean get that as normal humans, they might not be able to defeat the Shrimp by just talking to it, but if they are going to go the powers route, give them different ones. Or wait, what if Misa was the one who created the Shrimp and her coming to terms is what makes the Shrimp vanish from existence? That might actually work.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X