X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Fall 2017] Juni Taisen Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    十二大戦

A show about a death game where 12 warriors representing each animal of the zodiac engage in a battle royale in order to get a wish granted.

Airs: Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Studio: Graphinica

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

12 warriors who are burdened with the names of the 12 Chinese Zodiac members fight with each other's lives and pride at stake, all to grant just one wish.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these two easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please indicate in the first line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please quote that post (or a relevant reply to that post), or include the episode title in the first line. ("Re: Episode 1") Just make sure the episode is indicated.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Chise Hatori, The Ancient Magus' Bride
    Currently Watching: Fate/Apocrypha, Ajin, ID-0, Overlord, JBA-SC, OPC, DBZ-K, HXH, NAR-S
    Simulcasts: ALT, WBM, SOM-3, YYY-2, B3B-2, UMR-2, 3GL-2, KBW-2, AMB, UQH, IYK, GLT, BLS, KHK, AGT, NJU, CRZ, JBC, IDM-CGT, OSF, OYP
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

To slaughter a pig.

That was pretty bland and generic there as there's action, bloodshed, and just about no story to speak of. The animation quality is just atrocious there. Anyway, I'll see what happens here with the boar being the first one to go down in this battle royale (well, actually the snake, but he was killed prior to the start of it), while she got the bulk of the focus here. It's not looking good for this show, but I'll keep going for at least next week.
    Currently Watching: Fate/Apocrypha, Ajin, ID-0, Overlord, JBA-SC, OPC, DBZ-K, HXH, NAR-S
    Simulcasts: ALT, WBM, SOM-3, YYY-2, B3B-2, UMR-2, 3GL-2, KBW-2, AMB, UQH, IYK, GLT, BLS, KHK, AGT, NJU, CRZ, JBC, IDM-CGT, OSF, OYP
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
      The animation quality is just atrocious there.
      Regardless of your opinion of the rest of what makes up the show, I don't see how anyone can come to that conclusion.

Comment

Re: Episode 1

More NisiOisiN. The concept seems like it could be interesting, but the presentation of the events of this first episode didn't grab me. I'll see if I feel like coming back for more. Might be a little too obsessed with being ultra edgy and over-the-top. It really is a strange structure for a first episode. I assume the idea is to better explore the characters as this war goes on, but it seems like we could've been introduced to the apparent protagonist and this bizarre world in general a little more naturally. I don't know, man. It's a tough case.
        My Top Anime | Manga
        My Collection
        My FP Reviews
        FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Re: Episode 1

Strange. I just don't buy how she drove her sister to madness. Lil sis was all happy slaughtering animals, but then gets overwhelmed by killing humans? I just don't buy it. All that buildup, and we don't get to see the backstory behind her and monkey girl, or why they've been on battlefields with each other before.

Hopefully we'll get variations on the trope "POV character is the one to die". The action is pretty good, however. Mindless fun, maybe?
          My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
          1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
          2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
          3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

Episode 2

How the chick tricked the dog.

With the snake and boar dead having become members of the rabbit's army of zombies, he has become a dangerous enemy. The dog is in perfect position to win the battle royale seeing that he can resist the poison better, but then he is found out by the rooster, who uses her birds to spy on the battlefield. Just when it looked like the dog had things under control to bite her in order to use her last moments of her life to take out the boar, the rooster bites back and uses the power he gave her against him. This game just keeps on getting more brutal, and now three are down. Next time, the ox and horse square off, and based on the show's title it looks like the ox will kill the rooster.

At least this episode wasn't as bad as the last, but nevertheless it still isn't doing many favors for me. At least the drama is something, so I'll give it another episode before deciding what to do.

Comment

Well, so far we're 2-0 for POV characters. And then there's the ED, which could be a road map. I'll probably keep watching, but so far I'm not terribly impressed.

Save for knowing how it ends, they really should've done a Battle Royale anime. But this remains one of many imitators, and is so far just a pale imitation of the original.
              My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
              1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
              2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and

Comment

Episode 3

Eat mor chikin.

As the title says, the rooster is killed by the ox and as such, Niwatori becomes dinner for a bunch of hungry ravens. She lived quite a tough life not knowing what to do, and she lives by the philosophy of deception where you can't judge one's true intent so easily. In the end, she met her end at the hands of a guy who's a far superior warrior in every way and being left all alone, she didn't stand a chance. Well, this show has gotten much better since a rough opening episode, but I'm still not convinced. Next time, the monkey is going to get killed as the title suggests. Not only that, but it looks like the ending is spoiling things by revealing the order of the warriors that get killed.

So with that, I guess I'll put this show on hold as I need to trim down my watchlist. I think this is better as a binge watch, so that's that.

Comment

Re: Episode 3

Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
                  Episode 3

Eat mor chikin.

As the title says, the rooster is killed by the ox and as such, Niwatori becomes dinner for a bunch of hungry ravens. She lived quite a tough life not knowing what to do, and she lives by the philosophy of deception where you can't judge one's true intent so easily. In the end, she met her end at the hands of a guy who's a far superior warrior in every way and being left all alone, she didn't stand a chance. Well, this show has gotten much better since a rough opening episode, but I'm still not convinced. Next time, the monkey is going to get killed as the title suggests. Not only that, but it looks like the ending is spoiling things by revealing the order of the warriors that get killed.

So with that, I guess I'll put this show on hold as I need to trim down my watchlist. I think this is better as a binge watch, so that's that.
                  We're 3-0 on POV characters, and 3 for 3 on the order of deaths in the ED. And then there's the title of each episode.

Well, we found out why the chicken crossed the road...to fake out the dog. When episode 2 ended, I couldn't tell if the dog had been played, or if the dog had out smarted himself. meaning I dodn't know if it'd bee a deliberate plot by the chicken, or if the dog had overpowered the chicken and paid the price.

Well, turns out that deception was the absolute nature of the chicken, a complete way of life.

But it turns out that the chicken outsmarted herself. She wanted to get the One Man Army Drug into her system, but it not only heightened her physical stats, but heightened her other senses to the extent that she utterly realized the complete sincerity of monkey, causing her to question her attitude, and further, drive her away from monkey...right into Ox, who easily kills her.

Chicken had disposed of Boar earlier, by having her birds eat the zombified Boar, and she summons the birds to finish her own self off.

So, Boar is totally gone, Chicken makes 4 dead, Monkey and Rat learn about Rabbit's necromancy, we learn that Monkey really is sincere in her plans, whatever they might be...and that Monkey, almost certainly the most noble and best character of this show, is going to die next episode.

Until I see otherwise, it looks like the ED is absolutely correct as to the order of death. I'm not bothering to put that behind spoilers, because this show has been spoiling everything in the titles of the episodes, as well as the previews.

With that, this show takes on a different meaning. Most battle royale shows are about a mystery: Who survives? Who wins? But that's not what's going on here. The reasons to watch have become the action, the powers of the characters, and the stories behind the characters. So if that's enough to grab your attention, that'll have to do.

I think I'll keep watching, as there remain some mysteries at work. So, while I won't say who the last character is we see at the end of the ED, I do find it curious how every time that person comes up, everybody seems to think the character is familiar, or someone they thought they'd seen before.

Comment

Re: Episode 3

Originally posted by General Hentai View Post
                    When episode 2 ended, I couldn't tell if the dog had been played, or if the dog had out smarted himself. meaning I dodn't know if it'd bee a deliberate plot by the chicken, or if the dog had overpowered the chicken and paid the price.
                    I was feeling pretty strongly at that point that Chicken had deliberately deceived him all along. If Dog knew his drug would make the target out of control to a degree in which he was in danger, then I think he would have prepared for it and not have been caught off guard. Chicken was pretty interesting. Shame that if Monkey is next to die as seems to be portended, that it's so heavily weighted against female characters getting killed early (would leave Tiger as the only one remaining out of them). Monkey at first kind of seemed like she would be someone who could be around for a while, but will be interested to see what next episode reveals about her.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                    Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                    Widgets Magazine
                    Working...
                    X