X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Fall 2017] THE [email protected] Side M Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    アイドルマスター SideM

Spinoff of the [email protected] franchise focusing on male idol groups.

Airs: Saturday, October 7

Studio: A-1 Pictures

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

Fandom Post News & Reviews

Note
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please indicate in the first line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please quote that post (or a relevant reply to that post), or include the episode title in the first line. ("Re: Episode 1")

Episode 0

I've seen some fans salty over the fact they're animating this rather than focusing on one of the many sub-franchises focused on girl idols, but I must say, I actually rather enjoyed this episode a good bit. It was neat getting the story of what's happened with Jupiter since they quit the villainous Kuroi's agency back in the original Idolmaster anime. I haven't seen that series in forever, so I'm foggy on details, but it works fine without that, even though it's nice having some of the context going into this. Jupiter is likely more interesting getting to see them as the focal point here than when we just had them as supporting villains without that much development. Hokuto is such a bro, Touma is tsundere as always, and Shouta is playful. They got a lot of cute fangirls too. Can't let them down! We'll be interesting to see what I think of this as we get into the series proper and the cast expands.

There's a few winks at the other anime series around. Not too much focus on 765 , but maybe a bit more than I expected, with a cute Haruka cameo and Jupiter going to check out a concert to lift their spirits (the concert and girls are not show in-depth, though). There's also a bit of a connection with how we have a new initially-unseen producer, and also the interviewer Yoshizawa who has shown up in all of the series so far (even the Cinderella Girls).
    Last edited by EmperorBrandon; 09-30-2017, 11:04 PM.

Comment

Re: Episode 0

Don't go at it alone.

Having watch the original series recently, it's fresh in my mind just how much of a scumbag that Kuroi was, and it's better that Jupiter broke ties with this shady producer who is all about dirty tricks while Jupiter is determined to make it to the top the right way. But even so, going without a production company is tough to do. Luckily for them, 315 is in desperate need of clients, and even though they come across as stalkerish, they know what Jupiter is lacking and will try and get friendly with them. Pretty nice to see Haruka appear again, while the other 765 girls in the crowd is a nice sight. Anyway, it looks like this show has some promise even though this is supposed to appeal to the female viewers, but it has the same [email protected] charm.

So with that, I'll be checking this show out, and with the number of idol shows this season that I'm planning to watch at least one of them. This season has the Love Live! Sunshine!! and Wake Up, Girls sequels that involve girl idols, while there's this show, Dynamic Chord, and Tsukipro for the boys, along with the second season of the Cinderella Girls Theater shorts. Seeing that I haven't watched Love Live and WUG, while I'm not expecting much out of Tsukipro after Tsukiuta put me to sleep that it looks like it will be between this and Dynamic Chord for that slot.
      MyAnimeList | Avatar: Violet Evergarden of KyoAni's Violet Evergarden
      Watching: Kyo Kara Maoh, Pokemon Sun and Moon, Toonami Stuff
      Simulcasts: FTL, FRB, KYB, FGN, MIX, FIL
      The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 0

As per usual with this franchise, it looks very nice. Whether or not I connect with the characters remains to be seen. I'll have to give the series proper a fair shot to see how those prospects are looking.
        My Top Anime | Manga
        My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
        My FP Reviews | Twitter
        FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 1

He rests his case: be an idol.

To go from lawyer to an idol is quite the transformation for Teru as he was just having a hard time being a lawyer. As to be expected with any newly formed idol group that includes newbies, Teru, Kaoru, and Tsubasa are terribly out of sync. While Teru and Tsubasa are syncing, Kaoru is not on the same page. But after a serious talk, they are now on the same page, and while technique still needs a lot of refinement, they definitely are on the road to stardom. Thus, the three become Dramatic Stars. Pretty solid start here as the [email protected] charm certainly has carried over here.

So with that, the trial period continues as usual, and seeing that I'm looking to have an idol show this season and the others are dropping like flies that there's a solid chance I watch this.
          The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

Yeah, Teru's reaction at what he signed up for is expected. Lawyer to idol is quite the jump...

So we do get to see the face and personality of the Producer for the second episode, as I'd expect. No women on the production staff, though there are some there as trainers.

Comment

Re: Episode 1

So yeah, these idol boys still don't have me on board. Still better than most, of course, and certainly a slick-looking show, as per usual for this franchise.
              My Top Anime | Manga
              My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
              My FP Reviews | Twitter
              FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 2

Singing and dancing are not the only things they can do.

This franchise is known for these kinds of episodes where a concert is threatened to be cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances. Here, a typhoon is keeping the stage crew from getting to the concert venue, but the idols are stepping in to do the stage setup themselves. Cancelling the concert over that, those boys just won't let that happen, and boy did they pull together. And then there are the photo shoots as the boys go crazy, especially the ones wearing the skates.

So with that, I'll give it another episode and with the way the season is shaping up, this one is either going to be one of the last ones in or the first ones out.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

Dang, Kaoru's a surgeon? I guess Dramatic Stars are supposed to be the group that stretches the suspension of disbelief the most in terms of what jobs they're going on to become idols from. But there varied backgrounds seems to be a key theme that gets some focus this episode, as they overcome their differences. It's a bit of a theme that's there even in the girl idol variations of this franchise, but they interestingly take it some steps further with Side-M.

I like how Jupiter really gets to make use of their know-how from the time they were independent and did some duties of staff themselves. That's a bit of their own unique experience itself, and it makes it feel more worthwhile for them too.

Heh, and Pierre is so adorable, more than I was initially expecting. With that scene with Kaoru, he may just make me a fudanshi...

Comment

Episode 3

Idols ready for takeoff.

So Dramatic Stars consists of a former lawyer, a former doctor, and now a former pilot as Tsubasa's story is explained. He dreamed and worked so hard to becoming a pilot because of his love of airplanes, but that dream crash-landed when he panicked while flying through a storm and since then, became traumatized as he was demoted to grounds crew. But thanks to Teru and Kaoru, they threw their full support behind him. Tsubasa sure had it rough there, and his performance at the rehearsal was pretty shaky to show it. Nevertheless, these three understand how he feels seeing that they all failed at their professions and turned to becoming idols for a new lease on life.

With that, I'll give it one more episode as that's what is left in the show's trial period. Right now, this is at the bottom of the bubble shows, but I won't make any definitive decision until next week.

Comment

Re: Episode 3

Makes sense for Tsubasa out of the Dramatic Stars three to get some focus/angst time now. Teru and Kaoru had been decently well-established with how they are polar opposites and always at each other, but Tsubasa has just kind of been there up to this point and needed some fleshing out. Now that the seeming main group have made their debut, will be interesting to see what issues come up as the other groups have their turn.

Comment

Episode 4

Get to work.

Now the focus is on Beit, and these guys are hard at work, especially Kyouji who grew up in a rich family, but couldn't meet their sky-high expectations and as such, he ran away and went down his own path that involves working at a convenience store and becoming an idol. Things were going well until Pierre got into a truck full of plushies and ended up getting a ride out of town, thinking that he was kidnapped. But cooler heads prevailed and everybody got back. That was typical [email protected] there as those boys got themselves in a pinch, but manage to get out of it just before they are set to go on stage.

So with that, the trial period for this show is over and this is one of the bubble shows that isn't on solid ground. I'll have a decision to make to see if I'll continue on with this or not.

Comment

Re: Episode 4

So actually out of our part-time worker group, two of them are actually from rather prestigious backgrounds. Kyouji's family seems to be grounds for a lot of angst for him. Seems like the big discount store coming in next to the shopping center is owned by his family's group, and I guess there may be more with that story to come later. And no wonder he ran away from the pressure of dealing with that family. Dad though that him getting a 95 on a test a kid was the worst shameful failure... But Pierre's smile meant so much to him that he was willing to take the uncomfortable step of going back to them for help. It didn't have to that.

Speaking of Pierre... the most excitable adorable foreign prince. Even his stern SP detail can't say no to that level of cuteness. Apparently the SP's do have reason to be worried about him since they got turbulence back home (revolution already underway?). I wonder if this is why he happens to be staying over in Japan in the first place. Sweet to see him get to learn about Japanese traditions so enthusiastically. He got in a predicament by being lured away by cute mascot characters... I like that he was smart and tried to get to a phone at the earliest possible opportunity, avoiding the situation getting too far out of hand after it was found he was missing. I wonder why he called his own smartphone rather than the other unit members (more likely to already be on them), but maybe he doesn't have their numbers memorized.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                          Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                          Widgets Magazine
                          Working...
                          X