X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Summer 2017] Owarimonogatari Second Season Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    終物語

The sequel to the final story of the Monogatari series. This covers Mayoi Hell, Hitagi Rendezvous, and Ougi Dark.

Airs: Saturday, August 12

Studio: Shaft

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these two easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please indicate in the first line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please quote that post (or a relevant reply to that post), or include the episode title in the first line. ("Re: Episode 1") Just make sure the episode is indicated.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Lecia Ivyred, The Rising of the Shield Hero
    Watching: Kyo Kara Maoh, Pokemon Sun and Moon, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, DRO, CQK, RSH, AOT, BSD, FRB, OPM, KYB, FGN, SKS, MLA, SMT, HBS, KOT, MIX, WNL, KMA, FIL, IDM, ISQ, SRG, STW
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

To hell and back.

It all started off with Koyomi about to go over to take his college entrance exams, but he ends up in hell as Gaen killed him and for saving Kiss Shot and more specifically, he's at the lowest level. And he just happens to run into Mayoi, who was eagerly awaiting his arrival. Then there's Tadatsuru who he thought that Yotsugi killed, but it turns out that it was just one of his dolls as the real Tadatsuru was long dead. So in the end, Koyomi is resurrected by taking a ride on a snake's tail, and he brings Mayoi with him, while Kiss Shot finally appears in that form. That's a good way to continue this story as now the pieces are gathering, all while Koyomi now knows that Ougi is up to no good.
    Simulcasts: FTL, DRO, CQK, RSH, AOT, BSD, FRB, OPM, KYB, FGN, SKS, MLA, SMT, HBS, KOT, MIX, WNL, KMA, FIL, IDM, ISQ, SRG, STW
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Episode 2

Is this the last date?

Now that Koyomi has graduated, he goes on a date with Hitagi for the last time as high schoolers, and Hitagi drives him around to different places. There's the planetarium where they fall asleep and Koyomi is thinking about Ougi, and then they go bowling, do karaoke, and sit down at a tea shop. And then at the end Koyomi submits to absolute obedience that involves calling each other by first name. Pretty good way to handle the calm before the storm as now Ougi is making her move to fulfill her desire that she is willing to do anything and everything to get. With that, the show continues tomorrow with the Ougi Dark to end this.

Comment

Episode 3 (Finale)

Graduating from adolescence.

So the big reveal here is that Ougi's true identity is Koyomi himself, more specifically his dark side. Even though he's no longer immortal, he still saves her when the darkness has come for her losing an arm in the process, but thanks to Meme coming back with Hanekawa from opposite sides of the planet that he was able to save Ougi by recognizing her as his niece. And thus, everything is all well and good with Koyomi graduating from his adolescence while still determined to be himself, Mayoi turned into a god as she's better fit to be one than Shinobu, and Shinobu is back to being herself. Pretty nice way to wrap up this series as through all that, Koyomi takes the next step in his life in a big way.

Comment

Re: Episode 3

Monogatari with it's prolonged wordy episodes as always, but it actually ended quite eventfully, living up to the "owari" in the title well this time.

It was really seeming like Mayoi just couldn't catch a break yet again early one (with episode 1), so the most happy tears I got out of the ending was seeing how she ended up, finally having a home (I'm starting to cry again). Hopefully she actually stays happy this time and the universe doesn't find a way to be unfair with her yet again.

Hitagi and Tsubasa are both so sweet with the first-name thing in the end. I like the twist there in that it does not just about Araragi-kun (Koyomi, that is ), but each other in addition to that. Hnnnngg...

Comment

Re: Episode 3

Wow, that was actually the perfect ending. I know it's not, and no matter how many "endings" the series seems to get it's never actually over, but is it even possible for anything to be a better ending than this? It ties together all of the many plots that came before it together in a way that I never could've anticipated. So much better than expected.
            My Top Anime | Manga
            My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
            My FP Reviews | Twitter
            FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Re: Episodes 1-3

The only "bad" thing about this, is that it's going to make me go back and re-watch the entire series. All ends well for Mayoi, yay! Hitagi is so damn adorable on the date. Meme returns! Tsubasa and Hitagi: Best argument for polygamy yet.

This show is just epic dialogue and action, and, damnit! I want more!
              My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
              1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
              2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
              3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

Originally posted by General Hentai View Post
                Re: Episodes 1-3

The only "bad" thing about this, is that it's going to make me go back and re-watch the entire series.
                I am tempted to do that, but I know that I can already appreciate how well this ties together everything I've watched over the past five years (I think that's when Bake was first made legally available to the US), and it's probably best remembering the important parts and not reminding myself that nothing else in the series compares to this, even though Second Season and Kizu were quite excellent already.

Originally posted by General Hentai View Post
                This show is just epic dialogue and action, and, damnit! I want more!
                Well we'll certainly be getting more, with Final Season not even fully adapted, a full Season released after that, and the next one having recently started. But this is clearly the end we've all been looking forward to all these years, so I'm not going to expect anything after it to live up to it.
                My Top Anime | Manga
                My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                My FP Reviews | Twitter
                FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                Widgets Magazine
                Working...