X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Summer 2017] The Reflection Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    ザ・リフレクション

From the legendary comic book writer Stan Lee comes this superhero show where ordinary citizens suddenly wake up with super powers after an event that happened three years ago. Some decided to use them for good, and some for evil leading to extreme discrimination and all sorts of mysteries.

Airs: Saturday, July 22, 2017

Studio: Deen

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

After The Reflection, some of the people in all parts of the world are discovered with super powers. Some become heroes, and others villains. How did the Reflection happen? What was the cause of it? With many unsolved mysteries, the world is led into turmoil.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these two easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please indicate in the first line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please quote that post (or a relevant reply to that post), or include the episode title in the first line. ("Re: Episode 1") Just make sure the episode is indicated.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Lecia Ivyred, The Rising of the Shield Hero
    Watching: Kyo Kara Maoh, Pokemon Sun and Moon, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, DRO, CQK, RSH, AOT, BSD, FRB, OPM, KYB, FGN, SKS, MLA, SMT, HBS, KOT, MIX, WNL, KMA, FIL, IDM, ISQ, SRG, STW
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

They were chosen.

This is pretty much made for Americans as the art style definitely looks more like something that would be made in America rather than in Japan. That was to be expected seeing that Stan Lee is one of the creators. At the moment, I'm not quite sure what to make of this show as it's mostly action and pretty light on dialogue all leading to how it all started. Three years ago, the event known as The Reflection happened, and some people got super powers from it with the MC indicating that they were chosen.

So with that, I'll give it another episode. The first episode didn't really do anything, but there's a whole lot of intrigue to be had since this is a project unlike anything that's typically seen in anime with so much Western influence in it.
    Simulcasts: FTL, DRO, CQK, RSH, AOT, BSD, FRB, OPM, KYB, FGN, SKS, MLA, SMT, HBS, KOT, MIX, WNL, KMA, FIL, IDM, ISQ, SRG, STW
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

I really like the look of the show. Looks like a comic book. Not much is said, but who the MC? Camera woman, I-guy, X-guy?
      Avatar: Shimarin from Laid Back Camo.

Comment

Episode 2

They deserve to be recognized.

The WTF factor was just off the charts in the first episode, so much that it felt like I was reading a comic book rather than watching an anime show. Here, at least things are getting explained about the Reflection, the motives of these supervillains, and Ellen's role in all this. These villains just want to get the recognition they have been longing for, but of course the way they are doing it is all wrong. And X-On is formally introduced here. While not as bad as the first episode, still it is quite a mess with the presentation being all over the place while going just about nowhere storywise. While I'm likely not going to watch this show, I'll give it one more episode mainly because several shows are skipping next week.

Comment

Episode 3

Become a bot.

It looks like from hereon out Ellen and X-On are going to solve cases involving the Reflected all across America, and first up she goes to Dayton where the subject in question is Lisa, who has been in a wheelchair for just about her entire life. She doesn't realize it, but she does have superpowers and Steel Ruler is out to get her. And then she is kidnapped and taken to the US Air Force Museum where her powers finally awaken. Her power is that she can pilot a robot, and that saved the day. At least this episode is far more focused and not all over the place like the first two episodes are, but nevertheless it continues to feel more like reading a comic book than watching an anime. The fight was good, and it's pretty cool that it happens at a place that I have visited before in Dayton. Next time, it's off to the Big Easy for some jazz and stuff that's potentially more catastrophic than Katrina.

So with that, I had pretty much written this show off last week, and the only reason why I decided to put up for another episode is because lots of other shows are taking a break today. In any case, that will be it, at least as far as watching it on Crunchyroll goes. I might revisit it, but if I am to continue with this show, I will watch it dubbed seeing that this show is made with America in mind.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
          Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
          Widgets Magazine
          Working...
          X