X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Summer 2017] Gamers! Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    ゲーマーズ!

A show about a high school club that plays lots of video games.

Airs: Thursday, July 13, 2017

Studio: Pine Jam

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

This is a story that revolves around certain students and one hobby. Amano Keita is our lonely protagonist who has a passion for gaming and is friends with Uehara Tasuku, who is secretly a fellow gamer and is someone who believes his life is perfect. We also have Karen Tendou, the club president of the video games club and Chiaki Hoshinomori, who constantly bickers with Keita. This is a story filled with a non-stop sequence of comedy scenes and misunderstandings. Our chaotic romantic comedy now begins!

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these two easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please indicate in the first line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please quote that post (or a relevant reply to that post), or include the episode title in the first line. ("Re: Episode 1") Just make sure the episode is indicated.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Asirpa, Golden Kamuy
    Watching: Utawarerumono: The False Faces, Golden Wind
    Simulcasts: HZG, DKD, FRB, KGY, TOA-R, OGF, 8NT, ART, BNA, GLP. KKG, LSN, SKT, SBA, YFM, TOG, WLN, A3A, PCR, SHV
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

They play to win. He doesn't.

Keita has a chance encounter with Karen, and she happens to take a strong interest to him because like herself, he loves games. And so she creates the Gamers Club, but Keita is none too interested in joining as the club is all about competitive gaming, while Keita just wants to play socially in a relaxed environment. This figures to be a fun show to watch as while the characters are a generic bunch, the comedy is pretty solid and the chemistry between them ought to be interesting. I knew that the rejection was coming from a mile away when he got that request, but nevertheless it goes to show that not all kinds of gamers will fit in to the club that Karen has in mind. And to think that they won so many competitions is really mind-boggling.

So with that, I'll continue watching to see if I'll play with them this season, and seeing that Thursdays are so light this season that its chances are pretty good.
    Simulcasts: HZG, DKD, FRB, KGY, TOA-R, OGF, 8NT, ART, BNA, GLP. KKG, LSN, SKT, SBA, YFM, TOG, WLN, A3A, PCR, SHV
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

Seems to be a lot of reliance on viewers being gamers and relating to a lot of the content of the series. I'm not so much, only playing a few select franchises, and what's left after that isn't quite working for me. I like hanging out with likable nerds in anime, but this bunch isn't charming me enough. The games look like the ones they're based on, but otherwise I don't think the show looks that great. Pine Jam is such a bizarre name for a studio.
      My Top Anime | Manga
      My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
      My FP Reviews | Twitter
      FPR Episodes | Apple

Comment

This started off badly, setting itself up to be just a shallow, annoying, cringe-worthy tale of a loser male otaku with no friends suddenly being befriended (and maybe more) by the most popular girl in the school, the school's idol. But then it completely pulled the rug from out under that scenario...at least for now. If it's willing to continue to not give into the temptation to make it a piece of vapid otaku wish fulfillment trash, this could be an interesting show. If it's just playing with the idea and fully intends to circle back and become wank fodder for loser otaku, then it can die in a fire.
        Avatar: Craft Lawrence from Spice and Wolf.
        Scratchy for Tama is angry.
        Casually Reviewing: ???

Comment

I wasn't sure what to expect, but it wasn't this. Which is good, as this looks to be a keeper. As a gamer, I just loved all this, as our MC is about having fun with gaming, and isn't in it for competition. I can relate, since I'm not that good of a gamer, better than average, but not one of the elites, not even close.

This looks to be fun, and is messing with expectations. Even if it tropes back to something more tropey, it looks like the journey is going to be fun.
          My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
          1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
          2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
          3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

Hah, wasn't expecting the otaku to reject the club president both times, which is sort of refreshing to see as it's a more common trope for the characters to give in. The dude sure loves his single player games though. I'm guessing he'll end up wanting not to be exactly competitive, but getting himself more involved with multiplayer gaming/friends, perhaps even inviting his mobile-gaming buddy to join their group.

Comment

Well, that was an unexpected ending. I guess Karen has to try harder.
              Avatar: Shimarin from Laid Back Camo.

Comment

Episode 2

For the love of games...

Here comes Tasuku Uehara, and he's an occasional gamer unlike with Amano who is addicted to them. He's a pretty outgoing person and even though he doesn't play games as much as Amano does, he's still better than Amano at them. And then there's Aguri, who is madly in love with Uehara, and that love first comes from the time when he won a plushie for her at the arcade in middle school. Since then, she had given her appearance an extreme makeover. That was some pretty funny stuff going on there, but nevertheless it goes to show how nice a guy Uehara is, though he would be wise to watch his mouth. I love all of those references in the opening, as well as Uehara and Amano playing the Persona 4 fighting game at the arcade.

So with that, this show is in as there just isn't much happening on Thursdays this season, and this show has been a lot of fun to watch as well.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

Heh, there's a lot of nostalgia with all of those OP references.

I like what we get to see under the surface for smug popular kid Tasuku. Much more interesting that Masamune-kun. The gaming bromance he strikes up with Amano is nice, as well as what he confronts him over seeing some of his past self reflected back at him. Heh, it's funny how when Amano counterattacks, he manages to unintentionally make it much more threatening and aggressive than even Tasuku did (almost about to drop to his death...) I figured Karen was probably going to be around to overhear Amano defending the game club and generally looking "cool" to her. It's quite adorably how absolutely smitten she's gotten to be, but seems Karen's going to have quite the challenge getting him to notice it.

That reveal for Aguri was so totally sweet too. All this time the girl Tasuku was dating was the one he had such a kind moment with even in his "dark ages". It's cute how she ended up following him in making a "high school debut".

Comment

It was interesting to see the normal "smug, popular guy" stereotype turn out to be a bit deeper than usual and not there to be a cardboard antagonist to the loser otaku protagonist. This episode did make Tasuku and Aguri into more interesting characters.

But Karen's falling in love with Amano, so it seems, is getting too much again towards shallow otaku wish fulfillment. But...I could be more interested in this show if Amano turns out to be not the sole focus of everything that happens. It was nice that this entire episode was from Tasuku's perspective. It might be interesting if we see the point of view change again to perhaps Karen next week, or this new girl who is going to be prominent, who is likely Amano's social game buddy.
                    Avatar: Craft Lawrence from Spice and Wolf.
                    Scratchy for Tama is angry.
                    Casually Reviewing: ???

Comment

Originally posted by Hitsugi Amachi View Post

It was interesting to see the normal "smug, popular guy" stereotype turn out to be a bit deeper than usual and not there to be a cardboard antagonist to the loser otaku protagonist. This episode did make Tasuku and Aguri into more interesting characters.
                      I wasn't expecting the flashbacks, so seeing their past selves and what they changed into does make them more interesting. Curious whether Tasuku (as well as Aguri) will change cliques knowing he was basically forcing himself to take on that vain exterior. Though he's probably too deep into cementing his popular guy persona, so I wouldn't be surprised he'll stick to looking that way instead of reverting to a loser dweeb. Balancing his interest in Amano as well as his other friends will be interesting to see play out. He does successfully leave his group behind for the sake of getting to know Amano, though I'm not sure how long he'll continue to avoid them for the sake of reliving his past interests, if that's what he truly desires to do.

Comment

Tasuka and Aguri both help the show. Actually I'd rather have them as the protagonists. Plus it's kind of nice to have it confirmed hair is dyed in a show and not just a case of anime magic.

Still it's clear Keita does have some issues. So it's good that he still hasn't joined yet. In fact, I was worried this was just going to be a dragged out episode of him saying "No" until he joined. I do expect him to join, but it's best not to rush it. See if they can hold out until episode 4 at least.

Comment

Originally posted by Momoka Kibi View Post
                          Plus it's kind of nice to have it confirmed hair is dyed in a show and not just a case of anime magic.
                          Yeah, that was one of the more interesting aspects about the reveal. I think it's more cuter that her pink hair is part of a gyaru-ish makeover with sincere intentions.

Comment

Episode 3

Extreme Makeover: Moe Edition

Here comes Chiaki, and she makes quite a transformation after talking with Amano and Uehara, just like with Aguri, though her approach is to cut her hair rather than to dye it. Chiaki is into games, and she's such a slob who doesn't think highly of moe being in games. But after fellow game lovers approach her, she decides to give herself an extreme makeover. And from this Aguri is getting the wrong message out of Uehara, and her reactions to that are hilarious thinking that Uehara had dumped her for Chiaki when it's pretty clear that he's just being friends.

Comment

Re: Episode 3

Tasuku is trying hard to be the riajuu bro for Amano, but he ends up being the one who is densest on those matters. Trying to set Amano up with Hoshinomori just ends up being a big landmine for all of them. Hoshinomori is cute "desu desu", but things were going a little too perfectly in how much Amano was on the same wavelength... (I just knew some catch was coming) Of course it turns out there's one critical difference that they both absolutely cannot ignore (I could say I'm neutral on that point since I'm fine with moe stuff but do not absolutely have to have it).

It's kind of sweet to see Amano recognize what Aguri is feeling over Tasuku giving Hoshinomori attention. He was kind of an imperfect messenger as it is since Aguri was already getting really irritated over how much time Tasuku was spending on his gamer bromance with Amano (love seeing the girls in the beginning react to the wall slam). And then they happen to oversee Tasuku with Hoshinomori... It's going to have to be Tasuku himself who gets the clue. The connection he got to recognize with Aguri was so sweet, so I'm hoping it doesn't take long to reconcile. On Hoshinomori's end, though, she may actually have gotten to be interested in Tasuku over this, though... I'm curious to see what we're going to get on her end.

Poor Karen. Tasuku show some sympathy for her at first, but it seems like she's really been left in the dust for most of this episode. The visual on that point is rather amusingly literal early on when we get back to the scene teased at the end of the previous episode.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X