X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Summer 2017] Classroom of the Elite Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    ようこそ実力至上主義の教室へ

A show about a school where there's an extremely large gap in quality of school life between the haves and the have-nots, and the MC happens to be stuck with the have-nots after making too many careless errors on his entrance exam. He's out to defend his class from the hell the haves have been putting them through.

Airs: Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Studio: Lerche

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

Koudo Ikusei Senior High School is a leading prestigious school with state-of-the-art facilities where nearly 100% of students go on to university or find employment. The students there have the freedom to wear any hairstyle and bring any personal effects they desire. Koudo Ikusei is a paradise-like school, but the truth is that only the most superior of students receive favorable treatment.

Ayanokouji Kiyotaka is a student of D-class, which is where the school dumps its "inferior" students in order to ridicule them. For a certain reason, Kiyotaka was careless on his entrance examination, and was put in D-class. After meeting Horikita Suzune and Kushida Kikyou, two other students in his class, Kiyotaka's situation begins to change.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these two easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please indicate in the first line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please quote that post (or a relevant reply to that post), or include the episode title in the first line. ("Re: Episode 1") Just make sure the episode is indicated.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Chise Hatori, The Ancient Magus' Bride
    Currently Watching: Fate/Apocrypha, Ajin, ID-0, Overlord, JBA-SC, OPC, DBZ-K, HXH, NAR-S
    Simulcasts: ALT, WBM, SOM-3, YYY-2, B3B-2, UMR-2, 3GL-2, KBW-2, AMB, UQH, IYK, GLT, BLS, KHK, AGT, NJU, CRZ, JBC, IDM-CGT, OSF, OYP
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Merit or bear it.

So it begins with Kiyotaka beginning school at a place where students indulge and status depends on merit. Seeing that he doesn't have much talent yet still managed to get accepted to this school, Kiyotaka is in the class of have-nots that took the 100,000 yen a month allowance for granted. But the class was in for a rude awakening when it turns out that their future allowance depends on performance and they got zilch because of all the tardies, absences, and other things the students did to slack off, and as such they will have to get through May with only what they didn't spend in April. At least Kiyotaka approached this cautiously, but those others who were foolish to blow it are in for a rough time. And then there is Suzune, who is the sister of the student council president and she's pretty socially detached.

That was quite a great way to open things up there, and it certainly looks like it will be one of the season's best shows. So with that, I'm just about ready to call this show in on my watchlist.
    Currently Watching: Fate/Apocrypha, Ajin, ID-0, Overlord, JBA-SC, OPC, DBZ-K, HXH, NAR-S
    Simulcasts: ALT, WBM, SOM-3, YYY-2, B3B-2, UMR-2, 3GL-2, KBW-2, AMB, UQH, IYK, GLT, BLS, KHK, AGT, NJU, CRZ, JBC, IDM-CGT, OSF, OYP
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

I like this concept, I like the characters, I like the aesthetic. Definitely one of the more promising starts this season. I'll be sticking around to see how this goes. Hoping to continue having positive reactions to it.
      My Top Anime | Manga
      My Collection
      My FP Reviews
      FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

So we get School: The Social Darwinist Way.

There are elements that are potentially interesting, but there are also ones that just sit there. It's hard to tell, really, in which direction this is going to go. My suspicions are that it will proceed obviously (this is not a show that uses subtlety; the "free" items at the convenience store and the subject matter of that history lesson which we see are very blunt markers of the author's intentions).
        Avatar: Craft Lawrence from Spice and Wolf.
        Scratchy for Tama is angry.
        Casually Reviewing: Blend-S
        Part of the Gloveless Armada. Join here! (Aria the Animation Dub Kickstarter).

Comment

Given that enough previews had given away the core concept, it wasn't a shock. I was surprised by the MC being like he is. Also, you have to wonder about why Suzune is in that class. Also, it seems that she knew about what was going to happen, and prepared for it (and, it's apparent that others knew as well, certainly everyone who was a returning student)..

Also, the group punishment thing seems to be BS, as there's no indications that Kiyotaka and Suzune were guilty of any bad conduct. Or were they? It'd be great if the little old lady on the bus turned out to have been a test...aothough, if so, why would Kikyou get a fail for it? Personally, I doubt that potential outcome, betting it was to show the self-centeredness of the characters.

There's a lot of ways this could go. I'm looking forward to seeing where this show takes us.
          My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
          1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
          2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
          3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

Originally posted by General Hentai View Post

Also, the group punishment thing seems to be BS, as there's no indications that Kiyotaka and Suzune were guilty of any bad conduct. Or were they?
            Maybe they were. A few instances that might suggest they were scrutinized for misbehaving could've been their lack of involvement to correct the offenders. Suzune points out that the class does nothing but fool around and that 'the teacher never calls them out'. Perhaps being a bystander to all this without making an effort to call them out makes them guilty. Or, even buying the 'cheap stuff' already labels you trash.

This show might be a social commentary of how some people view meritocracy in the real world, something that Japan evidently highly values. And just as Hitsugi pointed out, the 'free' items and the lecture about bloodlines probably hints something deeper. This school is basically setup as an exclusive world to breed the elite, hence the title. Notice how that blonde dude acts all smug for not giving up his seat, or even smiles in approval that the class didn't get extra funds for the new month? He's probably the exact kind of person they want to groom into society. Maybe the original author read something like this to base his story from. We'll see where this goes..

Comment

One thing you will find interesting in this show is that the number of points remaining is mentioned in the credits, and I thought that added quite a nice touch. Here is how much each student listed has at the moment among those that are on the show's webpage:

Kiyotaka Ayanokoji: 82235 PPt
              Suzune Horikita: 91887 PPt
              Kikyo Kushida: 54705 PPt
              Ken Sudo: 3115 PPt
              Kenji Ike: 42 PPt
              Haruki Yamauchi: 28 PPt
              Yosuke Hirata: 21170 PPt
              Rokusuke Koenji: 6284 PPt
              Kei Karuizawa: 2389 PPt
              Honami Ichinose: Secret

It's a pretty dire situation for Haruki and Kenji there as they have to survive a month with less than a dollar. Nevertheless, it will be interesting to see how much more seriously the class takes their studies now that they are aware of the consequences of slacking off and everything. At least Kiyotaka and Suzune approached this as something too good to be true, so they will be fine. Not so much for the rest of the class as they failed to heed the warning and approach this with extreme skepticism.

Comment

Episode 2

Hindsight is 50/50.

After the bombshell where Class D's slacking meant having to live a month with only the points they didn't spend in April, the system gets explained where it's possible for Class D to go up in the standings to become Class C, while everybody decides to get serious with their studies seeing that everybody is just one flunked exam away from expulsion. Problem is that there are three kids who need the most studying, but seriously lack the motivation to do so. And then Suzune gets an earful from her brother about her isolationist approach seeing that she's not going to get very far with that attitude.

That was a great turnaround there for everybody to suddenly take class seriously and do well on the exams that should at least give everybody points come June 1, but of course there are problems that remain with everybody. The drama just keeps on piling, and seeing that Kiyotaka has gotten 50's on everything that there's definitely something about him since it can't be coincidence when that happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
                  Episode 2

Hindsight is 50/50.

After the bombshell where Class D's slacking meant having to live a month with only the points they didn't spend in April, the system gets explained where it's possible for Class D to go up in the standings to become Class C, while everybody decides to get serious with their studies seeing that everybody is just one flunked exam away from expulsion. Problem is that there are three kids who need the most studying, but seriously lack the motivation to do so. And then Suzune gets an earful from her brother about her isolationist approach seeing that she's not going to get very far with that attitude.

That was a great turnaround there for everybody to suddenly take class seriously and do well on the exams that should at least give everybody points come June 1, but of course there are problems that remain with everybody. The drama just keeps on piling, and seeing that Kiyotaka has gotten 50's on everything that there's definitely something about him since it can't be coincidence when that happens.

Well, he didn't get 50s on the tests shown at the end, this time. We've had some foreshadowing that Kiytaka had some athletic skills, which we finally get to see as he dodges Suzune's brother with relative ease, after he stops the brother from gut-punching Suzune. There's a lot going on here that has yet to be explained. Suzune, her brother, whatever he's scheming with the other students, what's going on with our MC, and more. As far as the idiots doing well, they managed to pass the entrance test to get into the place, so they do have some level of intelligence.

I look forward to next week.
                  My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
                  1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
                  2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
                  3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

So Kiyotaka is hiding a lot behind his apparent apathy. It would appear that he's capable of getting whatever score he pleases, and is shockingly athletic as well. He might end up being a little too perfect, but hopefully his story will end up being interesting enough. He is the protagonist, after all. Suzune also finds herself in a situation that forces her to break her carefully constructed image, with her scumbag of an older brother and student council president psychologically abusing her and attempting to make it physical as well.
                    My Top Anime | Manga
                    My Collection
                    My FP Reviews
                    FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Originally posted by GingaDaiuchuu View Post
                      He might end up being a little too perfect,...
                      This is the danger as I see it. This second episode was okay and the reveal that Ayanokoji was much more able than expected was entirely foreshadowed by the episode title (and thus these episode titles are all going to end up being "meaningful" to one extent or another). I don't particularly mind him being outrageously high spec in comparison to the others because there is serious opposition here.

Here's where Boring Invincible Protagonists stand: they absolutely suck when they are never tested by any kind of opposition (the bland jerk Tatsuya; and this season, the protagonist of Isekai Smartphone, which is an utter borefest of a show and thus I'm completely done with it); they can be slightly more palatable if they are faced with very high odds stacked against them, which is where things are in this show for the moment.

He may be over-powered, but it's hard for him to just dictate events by himself (partially by his very personality: he doesn't want to be perfect and no. 1). So...it's not quite bothering me as much-------yet. This can change very quickly.

I'll keep watching for now.

Avatar: Craft Lawrence from Spice and Wolf.
                      Scratchy for Tama is angry.
                      Casually Reviewing: Blend-S
                      Part of the Gloveless Armada. Join here! (Aria the Animation Dub Kickstarter).

Comment

Well, he didn't get 50s on the tests shown at the end, this time. We've had some foreshadowing that Kiytaka had some athletic skills, which we finally get to see as he dodges Suzune's brother with relative ease, after he stops the brother from gut-punching Suzune.
                        This show has really grabbed my interest. There are a few things I don't get, like why the class as a whole got 0 points even though Kiyotaka, Suzune, and Kikyo, at least, didn't blow through their monthly allowance like many of their classmates did. But overall, I like the premise and the execution so far. It was quite satisfying to see Kiyotake shut down Suzune's brother.

There's a lot going on here that has yet to be explained. Suzune, her brother, whatever he's scheming with the other students, what's going on with our MC, and more. As far as the idiots doing well, they managed to pass the entrance test to get into the place, so they do have some level of intelligence.
                        I also wonder if there more going on. For example, since the S-system is so brutal to the ones on the bottom, is there actual sabotage between the classes? It sure would not surprise me. As far as the idiots passing, Kikyo did say she had a plan herself. Just wish the show had been a little more forthcoming in how they passed, even if it was just a conversation.

I look forward to next week.
                        Definitely me as well.

As of now, the show has a "dark tinge" to it, which is fine. I just hope they don't go too far down that particular road.

Also, maybe it's me, but the "My Teenage Romantic Comedy SNAFU" vibe between the three main characters is strong.

Avatar: Tanya Degurechaff from Saga of Tanya the Evil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitsugi Amachi View Post

He may be over-powered, but it's hard for him to just dictate events by himself (partially by his very personality: he doesn't want to be perfect and no. 1).
                          And it's not just him either; Suzune has a strong intent to work herself up the S-class system despite her brother's assessment of her shortcomings. So I'm just as curious of the technicalities that really sets the students from the rest if the real-time grading isn't exclusively based on test grades alone.

I'm liking where this seems to be heading right now, and Kiyotaka doesn't irk me like some other MCs that shoehorn perfectionism just as a character trait with no real meaning. Like Yumeko Jabami of Kakegurui, there's an obvious degree of OPness to her character as well; but like Kiyotaka, this perfectionism is used in a way to counter/balance an opposition. The context may be different, but the principle of using this Gary Stu/Mary Sue likeness, isn't just to glorify the characters as godly individuals for the sake of just being godly, rather, it's used to deconstruct the otherwise 'perfect' setting and pit them against other characters who systematically manipulate their surrounding to their advantage. Kiyotaka and Suzune seem to illustrate some deeper sense of personality to them, instead of projecting some kind of wish-fulfillment character to poor saps aspiring to or agonizing they can't be a Tatsuya.

One major difference here is I find Kakegurui hysterically entertaining due to it's melodramatic, hyper-eccentric style; whereas this show is more grounded and realistic, with a touch of dry humor in a cut or two. Two different kinds of stories, but they share similarities in having a student council governing the status quo, and a protagonist that basically serves as a saboteur to whatever system they use to classify people.

Originally posted by Gildor
                          Also, maybe it's me, but the "My Teenage Romantic Comedy SNAFU" vibe between the three main characters is strong.
                          I got that same vibe from the first episode and it continues to be strong here. So yeah, this is looking like SNAFU under a socio-economic, meritocratic pretext.

Comment

Episode 3

All humans are not created equal.

While the class did well on the exam thanks to Kushida (though it was really Kiyotaka who came up with the idea to buy the questions to an old exam from an upperclassman), Sudo's score is below the threshold by one point and as such his expulsion is imminent. But thanks to Kiyotaka and Suzune pleading with the teacher and spending some points, he got that one point needed to stay in the class. And then Kiyotaka discovers the yandere side if Kushida there at the end as she hates Suzune and wants him to keep quiet about it. The drama just keeps on building here as the this school is placing the emphasis on inequality in a big way.

Comment

Re: Episode 3

Somewhat glad Kiyotaka raised on eyebrow while being blackmailed. Had he brushed her off all knowing he had preemptive counters to Kushida's lame manipulation, that would've made him more of a robot. Curious to what he'll do with this two-face yandere, especially since it seems like there's little to no room for the school believing alibis with no evidence, unless you pay your way out of it. Kiyotaka doesn't seem to want to bargain his way out of something like this, knowing he wasn't guilty of anything. Interesting, because he could easily blackmail her for 'cheating' despite being equally in on it. We'll see where this goes.

Curious about Koenji since he apparently got high grades despite refusing to cheat with the old test questions. Hilarious how he seems pretty confident and backs it up with the grades, so if he isn't with the others, he's evidently doing something 'right'. :D

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X