X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Summer 2017] A Centaur's Life Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    セントールの悩み

A show about everyday life in a world where everybody is a supernatural creature.

Airs: Sunday, July 9, 2017

Studio: Emon

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

Himeno is a sweet, shy little centaur girl. In her world, everyone seems to be a supernatural creature, and all her classmates have some kind of horns, wings, tails, halos, or other visible supernatural body part. Despite their supernatural elements, Himeno and her best friends, Nozomi and Kyouko, have a fun and mostly normal daily school life!

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these two easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please indicate in the first line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please quote that post (or a relevant reply to that post), or include the episode title in the first line. ("Re: Episode 1") Just make sure the episode is indicated.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Asirpa, Golden Kamuy
    Watching: Utawarerumono: The False Faces, Golden Wind
    Simulcasts: HZG, DKD, FRB, KGY, TOA-R, OGF, 8NT, ART, BNA, GLP. KKG, LSN, SKT, SBA, YFM, TOG, WLN, A3A, PCR, SHV
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

It ain't easy being a centaur.

Pretty much, this is a standard slice-of-life show where the high school students are all monsters. Hime sure does have it tough there seeing that at the play she's just too heavy for a wooden platform to support her, and then at the marathon where turns are a problem for her. But she certainly made the best out of a bad situation at the play, all while she's getting along nicely with Kyouo and Nozomi. While it isn't the most spectacular thing, it is fun to watch at the very least. Seeing that this is Haoliners producing this show that at the very least it's doing better than expectations. Still, I am on the fence here, but I'll definitely keep going for the time being.
    Simulcasts: HZG, DKD, FRB, KGY, TOA-R, OGF, 8NT, ART, BNA, GLP. KKG, LSN, SKT, SBA, YFM, TOG, WLN, A3A, PCR, SHV
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

What a way to open the episode, with girl on girl action! This show the slice of life stuff I love. However, there's something sinister under the surface with the teacher doing the cat guy's bidding (?). I love the manga, but I hope they keep out all the weird dark crap from the show and keep on the girls It's interesting that the ED is almost dedicated to the linchou. I guess she's a staff favorite character.
      Avatar: Shimarin from Laid Back Camo.

Comment

Haoliners adapting Japanese source material, huh? Doesn't look great, but more importantly it's too much cute girls with monster gimmick and not doing enough creatively with its premise, so it's still an easy drop.
        My Top Anime | Manga
        My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
        My FP Reviews | Twitter
        FPR Episodes | Apple

Comment

Originally posted by GingaDaiuchuu View Post
          Haoliners adapting Japanese source material, huh?
          They did it last season with Kenka Bancho Otome, though I guess they weren't the primary animation studio on that one.

Well, this is rather to my tastes so far, and they do happen to have some experienced Japanese anime directors on it. The fact that Emon was on it had me cautious, but this one might be fine for me. I'm curious how far they will go with the dark elements when it seems so slice-of-lifey otherwise.
          Last edited by EmperorBrandon; 07-09-2017, 11:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by EmperorBrandon View Post

They did it last season with Kenka Bancho Otome, though I guess they weren't the primary animation studio on that one.

Well, is this rather to my tastes so far, and they do happen to have some experienced Japanese anime directors on it. The fact that Emon was on it had me cautious, but this one might be fine for me. I'm curious how far they will go with the dark elements when it seems so slice-of-lifey otherwise.
            The manga has some very, very weird and dark stuff in it, so hopefully, they'll skip those parts. Can't wait for the yuri couple to show up (they're shown in the OP, holding hands with a heart beside them).

Comment

Much more interesting than I expected, with a somewhat jarring world order, which appears to be totalitarian to at least some degree. Yuri in the OP, and what's up with the angelic stuff in the ED? Hime seems to be a sweet lead, but I have to wonder at some of the choices: Unicorn girls who don't have a horse part?

I'm intrigued, and will be sticking with this.
              Last edited by General Hentai; 07-18-2017, 11:44 PM.
              My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
              1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
              2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
              3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

The opening section with the school play had me nearly asleep. Then, when the teacher started indoctrinating the students, I raised an eyebrow. Finally, when the goat girl or whatever she is was talking about being sent to a "re-education" camp or such...that's when I knew I was done with this.

None of the characters were all that interesting for me. The world and setting did not provide a hook either.
                Avatar: Craft Lawrence from Spice and Wolf.
                Scratchy for Tama is angry.
                Casually Reviewing: ???

Comment

hmm, a bit of a hard act to follow after Kemono Friends, with that show much more subtle and astute about the worldview beneath the surface.

Comment

Episode 2

Don't blame her for being beautiful.

The first half centers around the rule that a student is forbidden from taking a job, and Hime was spotted in a fashion magazine. While Hime did indeed take up that job, she didn't get paid as she's way too shy to make her debut. Seeing that they needed a centaur that she was the only person that the editor could turn to. But someone else has a job in secret. And then on a cold day, the girls try to beat the cold by thinking about the time they went on a field trip to attend a school for mermaids. Mermaids are quite adept in the water, but not so much on land. There's a gadget made for them, but that's quite an expensive device.

That was another enjoyable episode there that doesn't try to do too much. Anyway, I'll keep going for now as this is one of three Sunday shows for two spots on my watchlist.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

Heh, Inukai seems quite used to the fact her girlfriend Akechi has a compulsion to play around and tease other girls. It kind of looks like she even just enjoys it a bit as an aspect of her personality. Somewhat open relationship?

Nozomi being self-conscious about her "shota girl" image just makes her so girly adorable. Amused her mermaid partner ended up getting her fujoshi interests stirred.

Poor angel iinchou. She gets out-iinchou'd so effectively by the mermaid iinchou who can actually keep both classes under control.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

So, we get confirmation of Inukai and Akechi's relationship.

Comment

Episode 3

Sisters, just like an angel.

This episode is all about sisters. First, there's Hime's sister Shino as those two centaurs are going out for some ice cream, and along the way they run into Mitama and her little sisters in the Chi triplets. And then in the second half Mitama goes off to school and the triplets and Sue are tasked with watching the house. They invite friends over and have a good time playing with each other, but not so much with Sue as she wasn't feeling well. Everybody treats each other like what a family is supposed to be, and it's a great life. Mitama sure has some cute kids in her family.

So with that, I'll have a decision on my hands in regards to this show as I'm not sure where I'm going with it at the moment.

Comment

Re: Episode 3

Shino is so danged adorable. I love how she stomps one of her hooves when she's frustrated at Tama's cat-eared siblings.

Ah, and just as soon as Tama tells them that big girls don't kiss each other like that, I'd expect those two to show up, and they did... I like how Akechi doesn't hold back who she is, but she also can get to explaining it quite respectfully for the little ones.

Even though it puts her in difficult spot at times, it's interesting to see where Tama's dedication for her family comes from.

The propaganda sure is thick, even in their magical girl shows...

Comment

Re: Episode 3

Did Hime's aunt just call her a loli yuri lover? Also, that's a lot of girl on girl kissing this episode.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X