X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Summer 2017] New Game!! Season 2 Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    ニューゲーム!!

The sequel to New Game! After successfully creating Fairies Story 3, the all-female gaming group of Eagle Jump that includes a bunch of older-than-they-look girls move onto their next project, and this time Ko Yagami is directing.

Airs: Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Studio: Dogakobo

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

Season 1 Thread

Aoba Suzukaze graduates from high school and joins the Eaglejump game company. The person who made the game that Aoba loved as a grade-schooler just happens to be Aoba's senior at the company.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these two easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please indicate in the first line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please quote that post (or a relevant reply to that post), or include the episode title in the first line. ("Re: Episode 1") Just make sure the episode is indicated.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Violet Evergarden of KyoAni's Violet Evergarden
    Watching: Kyo Kara Maoh, Pokemon Sun and Moon, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, FRB, KYB, FGN, MIX, FIL
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Now, what shall we make next?

Basically, this episode is all about reintroducing everybody, and while this is the time of year new employees come, no hires were made. Pretty nice to get reacquainted with everybody again, and I like that part between Umiko and Nene there as Nene still has a lot to learn about computer programming. Hajime is still crazy as ever seeing that she even went as far as proposing a sentai action game, which obviously wasn't going to fly. In any case, it's great to be back and it will be interesting to see what they have in store for their next project as it was announced during the cherry blossom viewing picnic.
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

Hah, poor Aoba. She was rather hyped about the thought of finally being a senpai to someone, but they're not hiring anyone (Tooyama catching her in the embarrassing moment). Cute how Hajime was even more into that thought, having Aoba worried that she had been spotted by her too and was being mocked. But Hajime's enthusiasm is quite natural. Well, it does look like they're going to get some new women of some sort if the OP is any indication, and I'm quite looking forward to how that goes down.

And yeah, women... it's interesting how they actually broach the subject of the unusually female-centric team this episode. Hazuki knows how bad Rin has got it for Kou. As we saw in episode 10 of the first season, there's nothing that gets Rin more anxious than the though of Kou leaving her for a guy. I like how we're off to some great moments with them already, with Rin wanting Kou to compliment her again on her bentou for the flower viewing. Kou is the best husband for Rin.

Speaking of Kou, off to a good start with a new flavor of panties. I love how Aoba has to get at herself for having gotten used to that habit.

I wasn't sure if we would be seeing Nene right away, so was happy we got some particularly sweet stuff with her trying an amateur game and needing Umiko's help for a programming question. Those two are such a fun duo. Nene should know that scoping Umiko out in that manner is not going to work. Umiko seems well-trained to counteract stealth attacks. Cute seeing how she really wanted to be fed (despite being so embarrassed over it), and the anger at Nene having initially pranked her there.

And Hifumi reflecting on her character growth is quite adorable too. I like how she does eventually come through to Hazuki on what she wants to do with the game theme. Hopefully they will do it, too, as it sounds interesting and different from what they did the first time.

I kept expecting they were going to have some antics with Tooyama getting drunk antics, though somehow they managed to avoid her getting out of hand this time. It was Umiko's turn for the drunk antics, to Hazuki's misfortune.

Looks like we're in for another fun season of this bunch.

Comment

Originally posted by EmperorBrandon View Post
        Looks like we're in for another fun season of this bunch.
        New Game is New Game, pretty much just picking up from where we left it last time. I'm okay with that. This episode seemed mainly to be just a refresher about the characters. It will be interesting to see what they work on this time out and whether we will meet new characters (which the OP seems to indicate we will).
        Avatar: Craft Lawrence from Spice and Wolf.
        Scratchy for Tama is angry.
        Casually Reviewing: ???

Comment

Originally posted by Hitsugi Amachi View Post

New Game is New Game, pretty much just picking up from where we left it last time. I'm okay with that.
          Considering the lackluster season, this series is one of few I can follow to the end.

Comment

It's good to see the girls back again.
            Nene and Umiko really need to hook up, or maybe they have since they were on a dateo?
            Ha! Hazuki knows that Rin has it bad for Kou.
            Ah, so the "only women" thing comes up. Busted, Hazuki! You just wanted your own harem.
            ​​​​​​​Yun needs more character development.
            Avatar: Shimarin from Laid Back Camo.

Comment

Very good to see them all back together again, as they make the company's first ero-game!

Seriously, that would be so much fun to watch, LOL!

Kidding aside, we pick up right where we left off, which is a very damn good thing. I'm buckled in for another slice-of-life season of fun!
              My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
              1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
              2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
              3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

Episode 2

It ends in a draw.

To decide the character designer for the next game, an art competition is being held, and while Aoba struggles to draw something, she just needed to look at her bear sleeping bag and something she drew on impulse ended up being chosen. Ko sure did take that rejection hard as while the quality is above and beyond what everybody else submitted, it lacks vision being too much like Fairies Story. But in the end, she helped Aoba refine her drawings and the two of them are chosen to be the character designers for the next game. Once again, it's great to see everybody supporting each other in a time when motivation is lacking, and the end result is something great. Can't wait to see them getting down to business with the next project.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

Aoba has such a quirky imagination, her mind going to cute animal cosplay and making characters out of her eraser and pen.

Heh, everyone was so taken aback by Hajime being so surprisingly dedicated... when she was really just tired out by her Dandy Max marathons. It was nice for Hajime at first (love how Hifumi kind of seems like she's inspired by Soujirou in how she treats her to snacks...), but got awkward when she finally realized what was going on. Like how got to be honest to her coworkers just as she left, though as for Kou and Rin, so much pressure to keep up what she never had in the first place...

It was interesting getting this just as I had watched through the parts of Kou's backstory that we got in the first season, where she had a hard time of the senpai being envious of her with how she got ahead quickly with her talent (getting remind of some strands in Re:Creators with this focus). That gets to worry her, but Kou's come a long way in that regard. But we see here that there are some feelings related to her work that she hasn't gotten to develop yet: the opposite side of the coin in how she herself responds to rejection and "losing". It's pretty emotional how it hits not only Aoba how she's lashing out, but most of all, how it gets Kou herself feeling. Rin can't solve her problems for her there, but she's always there to give her a gentle push. She knows Kou already has what it takes inside her to resolve the situation, and it comes through nicely when Kou finally responds to Aoba as she should as a senpai. They end up discovering that they can actually take the path forward together here rather than one leaving the other behind. Such a sweet ending to that little bit of drama.

I feel like Yun hasn't gotten much focus in the series for the most part, so it was rather interesting to see how she was reacting to her coworkers putting so much effort into something she had little confidence was going to go anywhere. The surprising results really inspire her quite nicely. Heh, and it's cute how she manages to share those feelings with Aoba but wants to keep her honest feelings from Hajime. I'm curious what development we will get with those two this season too.

I'm really curious about that other producer there. She's seems to look more of an actual serious business woman than the other higher-ups present (heh, wonder if she's going to a particular contrast to Hazuki, trying to keep her in line, but in a different way from Umiko).

Comment

It was nice how they worked out the mentor/fangirl dynamic between Aoba and Ko. Instead of some kind of boring forced drama, Rin puts Ko back on course as a good mentor--something that Ko was thinking about already. It makes these characters just that little bit more real that they're neither drones who just reflexively interact with each other nor sock puppets creating melodrama for the sake of.

Hajime...you just stay Hajime.

I feel like Yun hasn't gotten much focus in the series for the most part, so it was rather interesting to see how she was reacting to her coworkers putting so much effort into something she had little confidence was going to go anywhere. The surprising results really inspire her quite nicely. Heh, and it's cute how she manages to share those feelings with Aoba but wants to keep her honest feelings from Hajime. I'm curious what development we will get with those two this season too.
                    Yun's always been something of a dark horse that helps to move things along with Aoba at times, but it would be nice to learn more about her. Other than the movie excursion episode from last season, where we learned about her younger siblings and a touch of her home life, we really haven't gotten too much of a peek into her life, as you said. As they did with Hifumi in the opening episode and a touch here with Yun in this one, it does look like they're going to try to provide some more depth to the other girls, as it was otherwise mainly the Aoba and Ko show in Season 1.

Comment

So glad for this to be back. Yep, Kou discovered what it's like to be the Evil Senpai, lol. Not much drama, but it was realistic, with a quick and realistic resolution.

I actually like this, since, let's face it, we've seen Aoba at work for an entire season, and she just isn't as polished as Kou is. She's progressed and improved, but our adorable Aoba isn't quite at Kou's level. So I like this outcome: Kou was too narrowly focused, treading on past glories, while Aoba wasn't as polished, but came up with an inventive idea. Aoba is talented, but she's not quite the prodigy that Kou was. The result is a nice resolution, with Aoba making a believable advance.

This remains such a great show.
                      My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
                      1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
                      2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
                      3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

Episode 3

Don't lag behind.

First it's about Hifumi, and she's conflicted as to whether the bear should have fur or not as doing so means performance issues for the game. And then it's about Umiko and Nene as both are running into problems with lagging, all while Umiko has to put up with Shizuku for changing the specs as if it were nothing by giving her the forehead flick. While Nene put a lot into the flames in her game Nene Quest, it gets looked at by Umiko seeing that there are lagging problems. That's another solid episode that puts the focus on the other workers at Eagle Jump for a change after focusing on Aoba for the first two episodes. Umiko continues to take things seriously, and perhaps too much at that.

Comment

Re: Episode 3

Aoba was getting to think she had advanced so much just from the fact she now has a character design job, so it crushes her to realize just getting the title doesn't make up for the fact she's still comparatively new at the job. It was so sweet to see Hifumi being the one to notice and trying to step out of her comfort zone to try to cheer Aoba up.

Nene and Umiko are so adorably on the same wavelength, both tackling similar problems, even if on a very different skill level for each other. Nene's gotten to be so proud of what she's gotten to do that she's of mixed thoughts on contacting Umiko, really wanting her to praise her but being worried she'll have nothing but nitpicky criticisms. The reality is more appropriately in between. Umiko seems to be really getting into her relationship with Nene too (that "secret" comment later at Hifumi's lunch seemed like it was about her). I like how she reacted to getting a call from Nene.

Hifumi goes all out in bringing lunch, even if some of it is pre-done (embarrassed as Hazuki jumps in complimenting her over it, and just has to pretend a response...), though a very special container for Aoba. I'm amused how Kou is tactless not only toward Hifumi for swiping a bite of that, but also to Rin in how Kou compliments the taste. Poor Hifumi ends up losing some of the prepared-for-Aoba lunch to Rin even because of that.

Comment

Hifumi goes all out in bringing lunch, even if some of it is pre-done (embarrassed as Hazuki jumps in complimenting her over it, and just has to pretend a response...), though a very special container for Aoba. I'm amused how Kou is tactless not only toward Hifumi for swiping a bite of that, but also to Rin in how Kou compliments the taste. Poor Hifumi ends up losing some of the prepared-for-Aoba lunch to Rin even because of that.
                            Hifumi's increasing attempts to be sociable and more assertive continue to be charming and funny. Poor Hifumi, caught in the crossfire of assertive types who just run over her.

But it is good how everything is not just easy for people. Aoba's "promotion" to Character Designer is filled with some bumps in the road...just as it was for Ko years ago in her first stint as an Art Director. And Hifumi is having to work towards being able to handle "stressful" interpersonal interaction (it seems to be a thing in anime/manga fiction at least that there are people who cannot handle talking to store clerks).

Comment

Originally posted by Hitsugi Amachi View Post
                              And Hifumi is having to work towards being able to handle "stressful" interpersonal interaction (it seems to be a thing in anime/manga fiction at least that there are people who cannot handle talking to store clerks).
                              I thought it was adorable she was at least making an attempt to explain her way out of it. She could've just avoided all interaction and left the clerk hanging; but equally amusing was how she seems to be a regular over there. The other clerk should've trained the others to identify Hifumi and know her preferences, then the approach wouldn't seem danger-stranger to her.

And Nene is cute as ever. :D Really like how she's so committed in completing something she created on her own. Funny how she seems stressed over Umiko's opinion on her work, though I guess everyone has that sense of uncertainty whether they'll be commended or criticized. Though as EB already mentioned, she takes her assessment as a valuable tip in improving, so even Umiko being blunt about the quality, isn't too discouraging or in the least disrespectful.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X