X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Summer 2017] Princess Principal Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    プリンセス・プリンシパル

A show about cute girls going to a school for spies in England.

Airs: Sunday, July 9, 2017

Studio: 3hz, Actas

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Amazon

The stage is set during the 19th century London, in its capital where a wall divides the east and west of the Kingdom of Albion. Five high school girls, who enrolled in the prestigious Queens May Fair School, are involved in spy activities that involve disguise, infiltration, car chase, and more. These girls take advantage of their special abilities and fly around the shadow world.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these two easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please indicate in the first line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please quote that post (or a relevant reply to that post), or include the episode title in the first line. ("Re: Episode 1") Just make sure the episode is indicated.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Rikka "Lily" Isurugi, Black Fox
    Watching: Gate, Mitsuboshi Colors, Snow White with the Red Hair, Ghost Hound, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, KYB, FRB, MIX, FIL, MTI, DUN, ALS, COP, DRS, IDD, FSN-LE, VLS, MMZ, GIV, HES, HDB, AKO, NHG, RST, SND, PKC
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Expect nothing but lies.

So it begins with the girls handling a case involving a guy begging to save his sister from an illness, but it was all just a scheme to rake in the dough and lure them out. Ange saw right through Eric's scheme with that attempt to contact the Duke of Normandy in a situation like that, and as such she disposed of Eric, but did so in a way so that he couldn't be found until a week later so that insurance could be collected. Pretty solid start to this show as the girls are cute and the action is nice. While this is Yuki Kajiura doing the music, the style is very different from the stuff I usually hear from her.

So with that, this show is almost certainly going to be in my watchlist as I was very much looking forward to this show, and so far I'm liking it, that and the fact that the Sunday lineup is pretty weak this season.
    Watching: Gate, Mitsuboshi Colors, Snow White with the Red Hair, Ghost Hound, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, KYB, FRB, MIX, FIL, MTI, DUN, ALS, COP, DRS, IDD, FSN-LE, VLS, MMZ, GIV, HES, HDB, AKO, NHG, RST, SND, PKC
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

Ah, so this is kind of like a Cold War spy type thing, but in a steampunk setting, with quirky girls that make lies part of their appeal. Decently interested so far.

Heh, I saw Beatrice had two credited VA's in the cast, then I realized why... she had that fake male voice on the phone once. That bit was amusing.

Comment

I want to like this mostly because of the Kajiura music, but as of right now I don't think it's quite got what it takes to keep me. And so far her music isn't as great as it usually is. I'm also a little wary of Okouchi these days. But we'll see. It's not so far from being something I'd keep watching that I can say for sure I won't end up coming back to it and being glad that I did.
        My Top Anime | Manga
        My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
        My FP Reviews | Twitter
        FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

The cute ED contrasts with the grim steampunk nature of the show. Sword girl is my favorite. Why did Ange forcibly drug (?) that girl next to Amy? It seemed unnecessary.
          Avatar: Shimarin from Laid Back Camo.

Comment

Originally posted by Library-chan View Post

The cute ED contrasts with the grim steampunk nature of the show. Sword girl is my favorite. Why did Ange forcibly drug (?) that girl next to Amy? It seemed unnecessary.
            The woman was an agent watching the sister.

Comment

Episode 2

Keep it away, that's the key.

This episode goes back to the beginning when Ange first started attending the school and Chise hasn't transferred in just yet. At the ball, she is given the mission to get the key from Morgan and not let the Duke of Normandy get his hands on it. So with some craftiness, Ange pulls it off by impersonating Princess, and then having her take the key away during the inspection while the bells are chiming. As it turns out, Charlotte is the name of Princess, and the two know each other from ten years ago. Quite a crafty operation that was.

So with that, this show is now locked into my watchlist.
              Last edited by Buckeye; 07-16-2017, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

Okay, I'm definitely on board now. Learning a bit about the past gave me a lot more of what I was looking for. I'm curious to see if we'll get any actual material dealing with what came before this point for the characters, or just discussions, and how many more episodes might take place before the first one did chronologically.
                My Top Anime | Manga
                My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                My FP Reviews | Twitter
                FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Re: Episode 2

Ah, this is one of those cases where we are thrown into the action in the first episode, and then we really pick up from the beginning in the second. I do like that we're going back to the "start" in a way here.

Dorothy is such a fun cool beauty. I'm amused by her moment of having to be an impromptu delinquent to deter random girls from coming across their meeting place, particularly with how she fumbled on the cigarette. Heh, and I was amused with how she was foiled at her seduction tactic in the ballroom.

Quite curious what we will get on Ange and Princess. With the line of work they're in, the bonds these girls have formed might get tested quite a bet. This being Ookouchi, I'm sure there's going to be some twists thrown out there over the course of the series. Hope he doesn't overdo it.

Comment

Episode 3

Do it for her highness.

Now we know the secret behind Beatrice's vocal imitation as it comes from a mechanism her father put in her throat as an experiment. She may be just an amateur, but she does have quite a lot of potential to be a spy as she used that mechanism to send the soldiers away just when it looked like Ange was a goner. That was another great episode that's full of thrills as Beatrice suddenly became useful seeing that she's all about serving Princess, and she'll need to do what she can in order to do that.

Comment

Re: Episode 3

So that's Beatrice's story. Something bizarre and useful only in key situations, but at least we see where she fits in.
                      My Top Anime | Manga
                      My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                      My FP Reviews | Twitter
                      FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Nice bonding episode between Beatrice and Ange. And it looks like things are pretty serious between Ange and the princess, although the latter's raw ambition to be Queen is a wedge between them.

Avatar: Tanya Degurechaff from Saga of Tanya the Evil

Comment

Originally posted by EmperorBrandon View Post
                          Heh, I saw Beatrice had two credited VA's in the cast, then I realized why... she had that fake male voice on the phone once. That bit was amusing.
                          I was curious what we were going to get of that, but never would have known it was going to be this fascinating. So Beatrice can actually do that directly from her own throat, but a pretty sad backstory to how that came about. I like that her obsession with the princess makes a lot of sense considering this. She must have been accepting of her when everyone else had gotten to think of her as freak, for what was not even her fault, but her cruel mad scientist dad.

But now, despite being an "amateur" at the spy business and her misgivings about it all, particularly with Ange (some of them may not even turn out to be misplaced, given the twists that could be ahead), she gets to developing into it quite awesomely. Beatrice didn't seem like she was going to be too interesting at first, but this completely turned around that perception.

Dorothy is still a lot of fun too, though, in how she's teasing around with the ways they can explain their friendship with Princess at school, and her effective use of seduction this time. The relationship between Ange and Princess is probably going to continue to be quite interesting too.

Comment

Episode 4

Fly, pigeons fly.

This show is skipping around again, doing things Haruhi-style. It started with case 13 before going to the beginning, and now it's going out of order again with case 9 when Chise has become a member of the currently nameless group. In the end, they decided to call themselves pigeons seeing that as spies they are supposed to just fly away when they sense danger.

And as for the assignment, it's to swipe an orb that's a prototype weapon, and the girls get creative with Dorothy using sex appeal really standing out. But in the end, it was Princess who really came through in the clutch. Once again, it was full of thrills as those girls sure know how to work together as a team, something that was developed sometime during the six cases before this.

Comment

Re: Episode 4

Yeah, this definitely feels like the Haruhi situation. We just need them arguing about the episode number in the preview.

Finally got some of that very Kajiura music I've been waiting for. Complete with Kajiurago vocals. Lovely.
                              My Top Anime | Manga
                              My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                              My FP Reviews | Twitter
                              FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...