Widgets Magazine

Currently Watching (Summer 2017 Edition)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Summer 2017] Currently Watching (Summer 2017 Edition)

Widgets Magazine
    Spring has finished up, and that means it's onto summer, and with a new season full of new shows calls for a new Currently Watching thread. Same rules apply as only stuff watched this season is to be discussed.

The link to the Spring 2017 Edition
    Summer 2017 Anime Chart
    Summer 2017 Anime Lineup Thread

Note
    - Change the title of your post to reflect the contents.
    - Do not use the Reply to Thread button; instead, click quote on the post you wish to reply to, or on this post if you're starting a new subthread.
    - Edit down the quoted section to the relevant bits, nobody needs to read someone's epic list of watched stuff twice.
    - Be nice to one another.
    - Please discuss only what you are watching this season in this thread. Stuff watched during other seasons should be discussed in their respective threads.

Also, I'd like to add the following. The Currently Watching Thread is mainly meant for a general overview of how you're currently feeling about shows. It is not supposed to be a replacement for actual discussion threads. Try to keep heavier discussion (if possible) in the more specific discussion threads.

In addition, try to be careful of spoilers here. It's one thing if it's properly tagged and such. However, I don't want people to have to worry about someone randomly posting "Wow, X died in episode 17 of Y". Just a randomly made up example, but you get the idea.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Rikka "Lily" Isurugi, Black Fox
    Watching: Gate, Mitsuboshi Colors, Snow White with the Red Hair, Ghost Hound, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, KYB, FRB, MIX, FIL, MTI, DUN, ALS, COP, DRS, IDD, FSN-LE, VLS, MMZ, GIV, HES, HDB, AKO, NHG, RST, SND, PKC
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Simulcast Interest Levels for Summer 2017

Just as I did with the spring season, the interest level post is in the Currently Watching thread, and it will also serve as the abbreviation key post that I put in my signature. While things have changed since the start, I am trying my best to reconstruct my interest level before the shows aired seeing that where shows are streaming impact the interest level.

In (definitely following)
    [MHA-2] My Hero Academia season 2 (continuing)
    [BAH-2] Rage of Bahamut: Virgin Soul (continuing)
    [RCR] Re:Creators (continuing)
    [SKQ] Sakura Quest (continuing)
    [NWG-2] New Game!! 2
    [NBS-2] Ninja Girl and Samurai Master season 2 (continuing) (short)
    [TEQ-9] Teekyu! 9 (short)

Probable (will check out, very good chance of being followed)
    [ALT] Altair: A Message of Battles
    [ISP] In Another World With my Smartphone
    [PPL] Princess Principal
    [RFL] The Reflection
    [WBM] Welcome to the Ballroom

Questionable (will check out, its spot depends on impressions)
    [7O3] 7O3X Fastest Finger First
    [ACF] Action Heroine Cheer Fruits
    [CWR] A Centaur's Life
    [YJS] Classroom of the Elite
    [CVK] Convenience Store Boy Friends
    [YPA] Elegant Yokai Apartment Life
    [EYC] Fox Spirit Matchmaker
    [GAM] Gamers!
    [HMH] Hitorijime My Hero
    [TKR-K] Katsugeki/Touken Ranbu
    [KNM] Knight's & Magic
    [LLI] Love and Lies
    [MIA] Made in Abyss
    [RAW] Restaurant to Another World
    [T3P] Tenshi no 3P!
    [AHO] Aho-Girl (short)
    [CLI] Light of the Clione (short)
    [ISG] Ikemen Sengoku (short)
    [NTR] Netsuzou TRap (short)
    [NPS] Nora, Princess, and Stray Cat (short)
    [TDC] Tsuredure Children (short)

Doubtful (may or may not check out, must really convince me)
    [18F] 18if
    [BHS] Battle Girl High School
    [AOY] Clean Freak! Aoyama-kun
    [CNR] Chronos Ruler
    [DIV] Dive!!
    [FSN-A] Fate/Apocrypha
    [HGL] First Time Gal
    [LLC-H] Hina Logic: from Luck and Logic
    [KGR] Kakegurui: Compulsive Gambler
    [MGG-17] Magical Circle Guru Guru 2017
    [VME] Vatican Miracle Examiners
    [ICT-G] Irresponsible Galaxy Tylor (short)
    [KXA] Kaito x Ansa (short)
    [SKD] Skirt no Naka wa Kedamono Deshita. (short)

Out (not checking out)
    [JSJ-4] Hell Girl season 4
    [MFA] Marvel Future Avengers
    [SYI-RB] Saiyuki Reload Blast
    [SYG-4] Symphogear AXZ
    [YSH-5] Yami Shibai 5th season (short)

Thanks to Amazon and Netflix becoming more aggressive that I had to wait and see what they are getting before putting together this list. While Altair and Ballroom are two of my most highly anticipated titles, that would mean staying on Anime Strike through the fall, which I was hoping to avoid, but it looks like Sentai is feeding the fire and they are going to have two must-watch shows in the fall that could very well be exclusive to them. Anyway, counting only full-length shows five are locked from the start for continuing or being sequels, while there are five shows in the next tier and if all of them make the cut, that means I will have nine more slots left. There are 15 in the middle tier and 11 in the last tier that includes the two shows that Netflix has (and while they will be watched eventually, for the summer season not having any legal ways to watch it really hurts their chances).
    Watching: Gate, Mitsuboshi Colors, Snow White with the Red Hair, Ghost Hound, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, KYB, FRB, MIX, FIL, MTI, DUN, ALS, COP, DRS, IDD, FSN-LE, VLS, MMZ, GIV, HES, HDB, AKO, NHG, RST, SND, PKC
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Buckeye's Summer 2017 Anime Viewership Plan

It's that time again where I tentatively outline what I plan on watching for this season. As always, there will be some of these shows that I won't get to, while there will be shows not on this list that I will see as life is quite an unpredictable thing, you know.

^ indicates shows being rewatched

From the Beginning
      ^Alderamin on the Sky
      ^Asterisk War
      ^Blue Exorcist: Kyoto Saga
      ^Charlotte
      ^Erased
      ^Eureka 7 AO
      ^My Love Story!!
      ^ReLife
      ^Selector Infected WIXOSS
      ^Selector Spread WIXOSS
      Dragon Ball Super
      Gintama
      Lupin III Part 4
      Uma Monogatari
      When They Cry Kai

Continuing Shows
      Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters (from episode 24)
      ^Escaflowne (from episode 14)
      Future Card Buddyfight DDD (from episode 14)
      Hunter x Hunter (from episode 57)
      Naruto Shippuden (from episode 164)
      One Piece (from episode 229)
      Rurouni Kenshin (from episode 63)

And as for simulcasts, just look at the post above that assesses the preseason chances I assigned to each show in regards to how likely I watch it, adjusted for the company that's streaming it as from hereon out, that post goes in the currently watching thread instead of the season lineup thread.

To begin the season, a rewatch of Eureka 7 AO is the first thing of the season.

Comment

Like I do with almost every season, I do an informal first impressions post in advanced of the real thing, and seeing that the premiere of The Reflection is a week away that I'll wait until then before doing my formal first impressions. Basically, it's more about deciding what will end up on my watchlist for the season more than anything.

So to begin with, I set my usual soft cap of 18 full-length shows, plus shorts that add up to no more than 30 minutes per week. Five continuing shows and sequels are locked in as My Hero Academia, Re:Creators, Rage of Bahamut: Virgin Soul, and Sakura Quest are all continuing, while the second season of New Game!! is in from the start. As for the shorts, Ninja Girl and Samurai Master continues while Teekyu season 9 is another lock for being a sequel, which uses up six of my allotted 30 minutes.

I now start with shows that are pretty much in and while I won't quite lock them in, I'll say that it's a pretty good bet they are in, and they are Made in Abyss, Princess Principal, Classroom of the Elite, Love and Lies, Restaurant to Another World, and Welcome to the Ballroom. Those are all shows that had strong impressions from the start and have great appeal.

So with those 11 shows pretty much in, I now explain how this season's selection process is going to go. With the way this season is shaping up, I plan to have each day from Sunday through Thursday to have two standard-length shows, while between Friday and Saturday there are eight shows as those two days have most of the shows this season (and while Wednesday has a lot of shows as well, most are shorts and only three of them are standard-length not including Sagrada Reset, which I dropped last season, and Saiyuki Reload Blast, which I'm skipping having not watched the Reload series). For most of the days, I have pretty much decided which two shows are going to make it and the only day that is still uncertain is Sunday as for that day, Princess Principal is pretty much in, while Centaur's Life and Knight's and Magic are battling it out for the other spot. As things stand right now, Mondays will have Love and Lies and Restaurant to Another World, Tuesdays will have New Game!! and In Another World With My Smartphone, Wednesdays will have Sakura Quest and Classroom of the Elite, and Thursdays will have Gamers! and Konbini Kareshi.

So between Friday and Saturday, eight shows are to be selected, and three of them are locked for being continuing shows in My Hero Academia, Re:Creators, and Bahamut. So that means five shows are going to be selected between the following shows that have each have a strong case for inclusion: Made in Abyss, Altair, Action Heroine Cheer Fruits, Kakegurui, Fate/Apocrypha, Katsugeki/Touken Ranbu, Hitorijime My Hero, Welcome to the Ballroom, and The Reflection. Of these Cheer Fruits, Kakegurui, and Fate/Apocrypha are on the outside looking in because of the need to get an extra subscription (and in the case of the latter two, they will not be on Netflix until after the season). So that pretty much summarizes where things stand for the full-length stuff. Anything else not mentioned I have dropped or will very likely do so soon barring a sudden upturn in quality.

Now to sort through the shorts, Ninja Girl (3.5 minutes) and Teekyu 9 (2.5) are in, while the other shows in the running are Aho Girl (12.5), Tsuredure Children (12.5), Lights of the Clione (9), Netsuzou Trap (9), and Nora, Princess, and Stray Cat (3.5). So with the way things are shaping up, I'll have to cut two shows between Aho Girl, Tsuredure, Clione, and NTR, while Nora goes only if I keep both of the half-length shows.

So that's a summary of where things stand as I still have to check out Reflection before I do my first impressions.

Comment

The beginning of a Summer season is always crazy even if I'm not going to Anime Expo, because I still have all the news from Anime Expo to keep up with alongside the new season. But once the con was over, the realization that the season itself paled in comparison to everything that went on there, and since then I feel like I've been wondering when it's finally going to kick into gear. Well I guess we're not getting much this time around, so let's get to it...

I've watched every episode of everything I haven't dropped and the first episode of everything I have unless otherwise noted. For those who read the regular discussion threads as well as the posts in these threads, note that I may be reusing some of my posts from those that I feel express my thoughts on a series well enough that there's no reason for me to make a point of saying something completely different.

New For Summer 2017:

01. Made in Abyss (B) The most noticeable thing about this show is its very simple, childlike designs, both for the main characters who are all children and some adults. They're not the most promising, and following young kids isn't always a promising start for hoping to connect. But watching these kids is a great deal of fun, and their world has the potential for the kind of adventure best viewed through the lens of childlike wonder. Perhaps the best part so far is the other half of the artwork: the backgrounds. There are some truly breathtaking shots, and I hope to be impressed more as we venture into the great unknown.
          02. Ballroom e Youkoso (B) To my shame, I have yet to do more than glance at the five (soon to be six) volumes of the manga I've had all this time. But as long as the novice director and writer can adapt it well, initially experiencing the story courtesy of the same studio, composer, and character designer as Haikyuu!! doesn't sound too bad. The first episode was simply concerned with the mandatory setup, so I'm not going to expect that I've really seen what the series has to offer, and hopefully this grade goes up at least one notch, if not two, by the end of the cour, or at least by the end of this two-cour adaptation. For now, it looks and sounds as good as I would expect, which is enough to tide me over until it really shows me why the manga came so highly recommended.
          03. Youkoso Jitsuryoku Shijou Shugi no Kyoushitsu e (TV) (B) Lerche is back for another bottom-ranking classroom in a prestigious school facing a great challenge, but this time it's less about killing and more about staying alive. The first episode proceeds slowly so as not to reveal what the struggle is until the very end, so it's hard to know exactly where it will go from here, but it's a creative and intriguing concept that could be used for sociopolitical or socioeconomic commentary. That could be a good thing or a bad thing depending on how it's executed.
          04. Koi to Uso (B-) Despite a premise that comes across as slightly silly, this show manages to summon some genuine emotion from its consequences, and while the romance is largely puppy love at this point, I like the characters enough to be okay with it. And they don't play it as safe as a lot of romance anime, progressing through what would take most the entire series if at all in basically one scene. On the other hand, that's also a little too fast, but of the two this feels slightly more realistic. Unfortunately, it starts to descend into more of a standard love comedy with a budding love triangle (which hopefully doesn't grow any bigger) with a slap-happy tsundere, albeit one introduced with a more refreshing perspective on her costars' relationship. The first and second episodes were different enough that, while I do expect it to continuing going down the less preferable path that the latter began, there's no guarantee that it doesn't still have some pleasant surprises in store.
          05. Tsurezure Children (B-) Made up of short vignettes following different couples who have yet to interact with any from other vignettes, it's not hard to guess that this is a 4-koma adaptation. Much of it is fairly repetitive between the different pairs, especially with how much of it has been comprised of confessions so far, but the half-length running time actually helps its structure, as full-length episodes would have far too much of the same. And while they are rather light, that does keep it from being too rushed within its short time periods; in fact it's all quite slowly paced. As a comedy it's not great, but as a romance it's cute enough that I can find some endearment in the characters and actually chuckle a bit from their awkward little interactions. It sure doesn't look great, though.
          06. Princess Principal (B-) Given my disappointment in Okouchi's last few series, I don't want to put much faith in him, and considering this one's placement, I think that's a safe approach. "Cute high school girls as merciless alternate history Cold War spies" is exactly the kind of premise you'd expect from anime, and indeed from Okouchi himself. The first look suggests some competent execution, particularly in the action that's truly at the center, but it's probably just the fact that Yuki Kajiura is doing the music that's keeping me watching for now. It's weird to have her in something that's not only not Aniplex, but doesn't look like it will be anything big or great, and her music in the first episode does feel slightly lacking compared to her work from the past decade or so.

Dropped:

07. Hitorijime My Hero (C+) Not a bad start for a BL show, and not as BL-heavy as most, either. But even outside of their potential romance, the main characters don't seem like the most interesting bunch, and knowing how these shows tend to go once they get more interested in each other, I think the best content is probably behind us.
          08. Knight's & Magic (C+) Honestly, following a mecha otaku who gets reincarnated as a little kid in a fantasy world with magic-powered mecha sounds like something that should be a lot less bearable, but for some reason I find it hard to totally dislike the character. His immediate acceptance of his situation is amusing but it's the first piece that makes him hard to really connect with, followed by being instantly good at everything, as we get with far too many light novel protagonists. Even his perpetual excitement at everything gets to be a bit much as it goes on, and the show appears to be all about him, so even if I don't totally hate him yet, his progression doesn't look to be worth watching.
          09. Aho Girl (C+) Frustratingly, this series can be funny at times. But unfortunately, it's a comedy intent on repeating the same joke over and over again, which can never be sustained. The girl is dumb. She likes bananas. There are probably some sexual implications. No matter how well those very simplistic jokes are told, it can't keep a show going.
          10. Huyao Xiao Hongniang (C+) For a Haoliners show, this looks like it might have a plot with some potential. But to get through it you'd have to endure their production quality, even if this one seems a little better on that front as well. Perhaps more importantly, to get you interested in the story, it jams way too much of it into the very beginning, also trying to create some comedy with the many characters involved that doesn't work out any better.
          11. Isekai Shokudou (C+) Not your standard isekai show, this does indeed have other worlds, many of them in fact, crossing paths with the protagonist from ours, but it doesn't seem to have any desire to tell a story, instead just showing what it would be like for each of them to show up and grab a bite to eat at a restaurant from our world, without any explanation. That can be pleasant and the food looks very nice, but I guess I need some substance to back it. Still better than plenty of isekai shows that go all out with the storytelling, though.
          12. Gamers! (C+) I might appreciate this a bit more as a gamer, and in general I can enjoy handing out with nerdy characters in general. These characters aren't quite likable enough to make me want to stick around, and starting it off with the perfect girl seeking out the biggest loser who the viewers can envision themselves as is never a good start. The final developments in the first episode subvert initial expectations enough I have to applaud it and want to believe it's going to stand by that decision, but I think I'm probably safer off quitting while it appears to be relatively ahead. Also, while the games all look like the ones they're based on, I don't like the look of the rest of the show.
          13. Mahoujin Guruguru (2017) (C+) Back for its 25th anniversary, this is very much a product of its time. As a parody of RPGs, that gives it an especially dated feel, as everything is basically referencing the first few Dragon Quest games. Much of this still holds true and I found some of it funny, but it's so relentless with its endless assault of gags that I can't appreciate a good reference well enough before it hurls the next few at me.
          14. In Another World With My Smartphone (C) There are a couple of easy comparisons that everyone makes upon seeing this show: one is to KonoSuba, and the other is to the vanilla ice cream at the end of the first episode. KonoSuba is a good show, but it's far from vanilla. It's all kinds of bizarre colors with some chunks of shit you can't identify in there. That's why we love it. A KonoSuba with all the edge removed means it doesn't have any of the offensive qualities of other isekai shows, but it also begs the question of what's left? Just a template without any of the blanks filled in, preventing it from being hilarious as much as it prevents it from being disgusting.
          15. Katsugeki/Touken Ranbu (C) Touken Ranbu and Fate/Zero may both be Nitroplus properties, but after watching Hanamaru, I wouldn't think that property a natural fit for a Fate-like anime. But here's Katsugeki, bizarrely released just after the first season of its very different adaptation in Hanamaru and just before the second season of said alternative version, with Aniplex and ufotable giving it the same random slash after the first word of the title, the same production values, aesthetic, opening presentation cards, and most of the same staff as Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works in particular, mostly just people who work on most ufotable productions but even the same composer as well. And yes, a much more serious, much darker atmosphere. Does that make it better than hanging out with cute boys all day in Hanamaru? Absolutely, and it looks stellar. Does it make it worth watching? Not so much; as it turns out, no matter how much you try to dress it up, a commercial for a web browser game where you collect cards with cute boys on them will only ever be that, and the new style just turns those cute boys into hot men, and it's not that much more fun to hang out with them.
          16. Altair: A Record of Battles (C) With promising source material, direction from Kazuhiro Furuhashi, one of my favorite directors, and animation by MAPPA, I thought for sure I'd like this show, but it feels so uninspired in its presentation of this alternate world based on the Middle East. It does nothing to make you care about the conflicts, instead just using predictable tropes for a weak attempt at drama that culminates in very sub-par action bit. Definitely a major disappointment.
          17. Angel's 3Piece (C) A show about a rock band? Hell yeah. They team up with a composer of online music, which is all pretty well-done, as is the animation. But oh yeah, turns out they're all elementary school girls who get progressively more sexually objectified as the episode goes on, to such disgusting extremes that I couldn't believe it until I realized it was by the same guy as that loli basketball shit. Ugh, why does this continue to be a thing?
          18. Keppeki Danshi! Aoyama-kun (C) Not quite a sports show, it instead uses that basis to tell jokes about an obsessive-compulsive "clean freak" and can't decide which of those is its priority, eventually settling on attempts to make his phobia touching, which falls the flattest, especially after spending so much time on how ridiculous he's supposed to be.
          19. Nana Maru San Batsu (C) When I go to my local con, I don't have much to do, so I participate in the game shows to kick everyone's asses. Not because I'm anything special; anyone on these forums would be just as effective. There's just nobody else there who knows shit. Anyway, that's fun for me because I get to use my very specific knowledge that isn't useful any other time of the year. But it's not the kind of thing I'd want to watch an anime about, especially when the quizzes don't even have anything to do with topics that interest me. Now this is specifically about answering as quickly as possible, which is not my thing, but that doesn't make it any more compelling.
          20. Hajimete no Gal (C-) There may be only one other show this series more explicit than this one, but this probably has the longest near-pornographic scene in the first episode. By all means, it appears to be absolute trash, but that female lead who you'd think would be the worst character is actually the only one who showed any promise to be a character worth learning more about. Enough to watch everything else that comes with this show? Hell no.
          21. Youkai Apartment no Yuuga na Nichijou (C-) It took the entire episode to very slowly build to the very obvious reveal that you knew as soon as you started watching the show. There are attempts to make the human characters funny in their introductions throughout that process, but it doesn't work out much better.
          22. Centaur no Nayami (D+) Another Haoliners show, this one using a monster girl concept for an entirely fantastical world with some surprisingly dark elements. But the monster girls are highly underutilized and there doesn't seem to be much potential for anyone more than cute girls doing monster things and maybe kissing each other to keep the fans happy.
          23. Jikan no Shihaisha (D+) The opening scene is highly stylized to the point of almost being nauseating, but once it gets past that it just settles into cut-rate animation to tell a highly unoriginal story with no sign of the creative direction that first scene implied the possibility of.
          24. Dive!! (D+) Looks like an obvious Free! clone, right? No, of course not; they're diving, not just swimming. Get it right. No, the real reason it's not a Free! clone is because if you're going to copy a show, you wouldn't just throw out all the things that made it good, would you? Good animation, characters with likable qualities, tongue-in-cheek acknowledgment of its pandering... where is any of that? All we're left with is a cast of male characters who could be seen as attractive if they were drawn well enough and some water.
          25. Vatican Kiseki Chousakan (D+) I almost want to give this show some credit, because it feels like it has to be this stupid on purpose. So much of the writing and direction makes me cringe even ignoring the bizarre obsession with Christianity. And yeah, it's kind of hilarious for that. But that's not something that inspires me to watch more.
          26. Convenience Store Boy Friends (D+) Very protracted view of cute boys hanging out and being obviously very close with each other (to keep the other fans happy), such that their heterosexual pursuits seem very out of place. But apparently that's what it's actually about, with the convenience store setting a good standard for how exciting you can expect it to be.
          27. Action Heroine Cheer Fruits (D+) A contender for the worst title of the season, it's basically just about cute girls playing action heroine to cheer up younger kids. It can be cute for a moment, but definitely has nothing worth sticking around to watch more of.
          28. Netsuzou TRap (D) This is the more explicit show I was talking about, but with only nine minutes per episode, it can't spend as long on one scene, unless it wanted to be nothing but smut. Which is absolutely true. Just trashy yuri-pandering, with the NTR element that the title implies. At first glance, it seems like this and Kuzu no Honkai could have some similarities, but they take it in opposite directions, which is why that show actually ended up being quite good while this one is everything I could've feared from that first glance.
          29. Nora to Oujo to Noraneko Heart (D) Onto the three-minute shows! This one is based on a 10-30-hour visual novel with a sequel, so I'm sure this length will give it plenty of time to explore everything from its source material. It does the bare minimum to establish the protagonist, his cat body, and his harem, shows a little fanservice, and is done. Three-minute shows of course tend to be very cheaply made, but the Flash animation or whatever they used to draw this still looks bizarre.
          30. 18if (D) What a nonsensical mess. I guess I should've known, considering it's a Gonzo commercial for a phone game, but it did not have to be this lousy. I think the most amazing thing is how incredibly mismatched the music is to what's going on as it plays. It does have a TeddyLoid OP, which I want to be excited about, but for TeddyLoid, it didn't sound that great, at least not the TV cut. Maybe the full version delivers a little more strongly. Hey wait, didn't we have an anime series about a kid getting stuck in his dreams and meeting a cat dude there? Where's Merry?
          31. Lights of the Clione (D-) I think someone tricked Amazon into getting this one, because it totally feels like the kind of thing Crunchyroll would give the mercy run when nobody else wanted it. With a story about bullying and wanting to help the victim, it might seem like it could be good, until you watch a few seconds of its horribly bad art and baby's first writing that fails to elicit any of the emotion that it tries to force by beating you over the head with it, making it less and less effective. With nine minutes, it doesn't really accomplish anything beyond showing that this girl is bullied, but it was so poorly handled that I wasn't wishing for it to be any longer.
          32. Ikemen Sengoku: Toki wo Kakeru ga Koi wa Hajimaranai (F) Another three-minute show, this one about a kid who ends up in the Sengoku era surrounded by all the famous characters you'd expect, and the idea is that they're supposed to be super sexy or whatever, but they're all really cheap CG chibi characters. And they like... play tennis or some shit. Is this supposed to be funny? I think that was the idea?
          33. Battle Girl High School (F) Generic, boring garbage like those other shitty shows about schoolgirls fighting aliens but with idols and whatever other tropes they can shove in there. Tons of characters, all archetypes, no character writing, and even the action was bad.
          34. Musekinin Galaxy☆Tylor (F) The problem with the F grade is that it covers too much, so you can't tell how much worse this is than the other ones just by looking at the grade. But it's probably in the top 5 of worst TV anime of all time, which nothing else this season comes close to. It's also three minutes, looks like it was made in about that much time, and no, doesn't actually have anything to do with Tylor. Why they were allowed to call it a Tylor spinoff is beyond me, but I bet they're kicking themselves for giving the go-ahead for that now.

2017 continues to be the year with nothing great outside of sequels, and this is what happens when there aren't any sequels (of shows I watched to completion and wanted to continue). Nothing higher than a B and only six shows at all, the bottom two of which were "dropped" in my mind after watching their respective first episodes, and my reconsideration for them may have been influenced by how little I'd have from this season without them. And yes, Netflix is keeping a couple shows that probably would've been up there from us and that's awful, but I don't think they would've changed the overall outlook that much, just lessened the extreme. Speaking of multi-billion dollar corporations taking over and destroying the simulcast landscape, #1, #2, #4, and #6 are all exclusive to Anime Strike, along with several dropped series. After Amazon and Netflix get to have their way with whatever they please, Crunchyroll gets to pick up the scraps. What a backslide. If this keeps up, the only solution really is for Crunchyroll to get involved in as many production committees as possible, but of course these same competitors are in that game as well. Ah, what a shit show this has all so suddenly become.

Everything I'm Watching:

Here's everything, including everything listed above. This is here to show the overall ranking (and movement for end-of-season posts) of everything in relation to everything else.

01. Boku no Hero Academia 2nd Season (A-)
          02. One Piece (A-)
          03. Detective Conan (B+)
          04. Dragon Ball Super (B)
          05. Made in Abyss (B)
          06. Ballroom e Youkoso (B)
          07. Shingeki no Bahamut: Virgin Soul (B)
          08. Youkoso Jitsuryoku Shijou Shugi no Kyoushitsu e (TV) (B)
          09. Koi to Uso (B-)
          10. Re:Creators (B-)
          11. Tsurezure Children (B-)
          12. Princess Principal (B-)

Dropped:

13. Hitorijime My Hero (C+)
          14. Knight's & Magic (C+)
          15. Aho Girl (C+)
          16. Huyao Xiao Hongniang (C+)
          17. Isekai Shokudou (C+)
          18. Gamers! (C+)
          19. Mahoujin Guruguru (2017) (C+)
          20. In Another World With My Smartphone (C)
          21. Katsugeki/Touken Ranbu (C)
          22. Altair: A Record of Battles (C)
          23. Angel's 3Piece (C)
          24. Keppeki Danshi! Aoyama-kun (C)
          25. Nana Maru San Batsu (C)
          26. Hajimete no Gal (C-)
          27. Youkai Apartment no Yuuga na Nichijou (C-)
          28. Centaur no Nayami (D+)
          29. Jikan no Shihaisha (D+)
          30. Dive!! (D+)
          31. Vatican Kiseki Chousakan (D+)
          32. Convenience Store Boy Friends (D+)
          33. Action Heroine Cheer Fruits (D+)
          34. Netsuzou TRap (D)
          35. Nora to Oujo to Noraneko Heart (D)
          36. 18if (D)
          37. Lights of the Clione (D-)
          38. Ikemen Sengoku: Toki wo Kakeru ga Koi wa Hajimaranai (F)
          39. Battle Girl High School (F)
          40. Musekinin Galaxy☆Tylor (F)

Weekly Schedule:

Sunday (1): Princess Principal
          Monday (1): Koi to Uso
          Tuesday (1): Tsurezure Children
          Wednesday (1): Youkoso Jitsuryoku Shijou Shugi no Kyoushitsu e (TV)
          Thursday (0):
          Friday (2): Made in Abyss, Shingeki no Bahamut: Virgin Soul
          Saturday (6): Boku no Hero Academia 2nd Season, One Piece, Detective Conan, Dragon Ball Super, Ballroom e Youkoso, Re:Creators

As per usual lately, everything is on Saturday, not only all the best stuff but as many shows as every other day combined. That's pretty ridiculous, but only possible because there are so few shows in total. I really never thought I'd only have twelve, and even if Netflix hadn't taken their two shows away from anyone who doesn't want to pirate, I'd still be at a new record low, as I keep ending up with. For comparison, two years ago I was watching 26 series, over twice as many, 16 of them from that season, nearly three times as many as this season. These developments coinciding with the continued fragmentation of viewing options is thoroughly disheartening to say the least. At least Sentai's new HIDIVE only had two exclusives and they were a D and an F, so I can cancel that free trial. Blah. Let's see if anything becomes a pleasant surprise this season. At least we have our wonderful Hero Academia to keep things bearable...
          My Top Anime | Manga
          My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
          My FP Reviews | Twitter
          FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Post-Simulcast Report: July 1-15

Here is the first of six post-simulcast reports for the season. This one is pretty short as I completed only one show and with a plethora of new stuff this season that I didn't have as much time for the stuff that has already finished airing.

Completed

^Eureka 7 AO (1-24): C+
            Having previously watched the sequel to the original series five years ago that I had a hard time understanding the show, and it didn't help that it got delayed so much that the last two episodes had to air months after two months after it ended where by that time I had moved on. Anyway, this show had a lot of potential to be as good as the original series with a strong start and a cast of interesting characters alongside with great action and animation. But after a great start, things quickly went downhill as the story ended up being really confusing and too hard to understand without dissecting the episodes, all while the show suddenly lost its way with storywriting going all over the place and seemingly forgetting its original purpose. In any case, the characters at least made the show worthwhile if you watched the original series.

Ongoing

[FCB-3] Future Card Buddyfight DDD (14-16)
            ^[ORM] My Love Story!! (1-7)
            [OPC] One Piece (229-247)
            [HIG-2] When They Cry: Higurashi Kai (1-4)

Comment

Buckeye's Summer 2017 Anime Viewership Plan: First Impressions

NOTE: These are my thoughts as of last week, and my opinions may not be a reflection of my current standing with each show. I wrote the top tier and bottom tier, but the middle tier shows were just written today as I was sidetracked by other things.

Now that every show this season has premiered with the last one not doing so until yesterday that it's finally time to do my formal first impressions. As usual, I use football terminology to describe the show's standing in regards to where it stands as far as making the watchlist. The closer to the end zone, the closer it is to clinching its spot. As usual, the first tier I pretty much locked the show in but there's a chance it will not, the second tier could go either way, and the last tier I either dropped or if not, it will have to make a substantial improvement in order to lock its spot (and to date, only two shows made that comeback). So with that, here are my first impressions. As usual, it is arranged in order of likeliness I am going to watch it.

Red Zone
              My Hero Academia season 2 (continuing) - This show continues to do everything right and so far, this arc is doing a great job in building up the MC all while doing a nice job in utilizing action.
              Rage of Bahamut: Virgin Soul (continuing) - The drama is simply intense and it picks up right where it left off. The story just keeps on building and setting itself up for what should be an amazing climax.
              Re:Creators (continuing) - After balancing action with storytelling the first half, things start off with some story-heavy stuff. While consistency continues to be an issue, the buildup has all sorts of intrigue going into it as the final showdown nears.
              Sakura Quest (continuing) - While the storytelling has been great, the pacing is another issue as I'm expecting this show to get through the MC's one-year term, but this last few episodes have really dragged, which gives me the fear that the show will be rushed towards the end. That said, it continues to do a nice job with putting reality in perspective.
              New Game!! 2 - So far, it has been mostly reintroducing the characters, but it continues to be great fun much like the first season. The characters are great, while the environment remains inviting.
              Classroom of the Elite - Things have started off with a great air of suspense and drama. The concept is amazing, and there is so much intrigue that this show is leaving me with after every episode.
              Princess Principal - This is one of my most anticipated shows of the season, and so far it has delivered. The cute girls is what drew me into this show, but above all this show is full of great action and drama, all while it's nicely animated and things are clicking.
              Made in Abyss - This show starts off really strong not wasting any time in making sure the characters are all well-developed before the MC goes on what is very likely a one-way trip to the abyss. Lots of emotional stuff going on, as well as character chemistry that is masterfully done.
              Gamers! - The characters and comedy are really carrying this show so far. It's a show that's there for a fun time to be had, and it accomplishes exactly that. While the animation isn't exactly top notch seeing that this is by a studio that's doing its first full-length production, it does everything else right that it needs to.
              Love and Lies - This show is a strong entry to the romance genre as the stage is set up for a nice drama where the MC is in love with somebody, but the government decides who he falls in love with, and it happens to be with someone else. So far, this show has done everything to support its concept well and leave me intrigued.
              Restaurant to Another World - This is a relaxing show where it's all about sharing great food with those from places around the world. The show's format of having two stand-alone stories in each episode is hit or miss, but it upholds its atmosphere very nicely, all while doing a great job in using food to motivate all of the diners.
              Welcome to the Ballroom - This show has done a nice job doing what a sports show is supposed to do in using competitive dancing to change a person's perspective in life. The choreography is nicely done, while the show does a great job building relationships and character.
              Ninja Girl and Samurai Master season 2 (short) - Pretty much does the same thing as the previous season has well and not. The show continues to be an amusing twist of history that makes great use of its three minutes.
              Teekyu! 9 (short) - This show continues to be fast-talking craziness that is always entertaining.

Midfield
              Kakegurui: Compulsive Gambler - I'm just loving this show as the characters all have a dark side that's pretty entertaining to watch, all while the MC is easily one of the best characters of the season. The atmosphere is pretty intense leading to some great drama, while the gambling is nicely done. This would have been a lock had it not been for Netflix taking sole possession of this show and not making it available legally until after the season.
              In Another World With my Smartphone - This is probably the most unoriginal anime of the year as it does everything it can to be like Konosuba, and mostly failing at it. The show has great characters and it is funny at times, but this show's conservative approach to the harem genre leaves it pretty bland. Not to mention, the MC is a bit too OP that places a ceiling on this show. Still, the characters are enough to keep me going.
              Altair: A Message of Battles - After a slow start, this show is starting to get interesting as the characters have depth and the adventures are nicely laid out. The execution has been off its mark, but for the most part it's satisfying. I have a feeling that once the main story begins, that's when it will become good much like what the manga has been. It's only at the prelude at the moment.
              A Centaur's Life - While this show is another Haoliners dud, it's adapting something of Japanese roots, which makes quite the difference. While the animation is mediocre and there isn't much of a story to speak of, it does a nice job in entertaining me with the humor and the interesting characters who are all mythical beasts. It's nice, harmless fun and that's about it.
              Knight's and Magic - This show has gotten off to a surprising solid start as it does a nice job introducing the characters and having a decent foundation in place. There are lots of generic elements, all while the animation has been mediocre, but overall it's holding up solidly by a creative concept.
              Convenience Store Boy Friends - The show has some pretty interesting bits and pieces of character development. The concept is quite an ambitious one with 12 MCs, and so far it has been struggling to find its groove as it takes quite awhile to know who everybody is. Not to mention, some characters that should be getting focus are not getting enough. That said, this show does a solid job of character development with those characters it actually focuses on, but not so much with the rest.
              Hitorijime My Hero - Seeing that I'm not big on BL that I wasn't expecting much out of this show, but so far it has been more intriguing than I was expecting it to be. The foundation has been laid out well, all while the romances are developing nicely. That said, it's held back by mediocre animation and pacing as it's just moving too fast.
              Katsugeki/Touken Ranbu - This show certainly has better production value than Hanamaru as it's all about action and drama as opposed to comedy. On the technical side, it certainly is one of the best shows as the animation is another piece of eye candy from Ufotable, the action is amazing, and the soundtrack does an excellent job complementing the show. That said, just like with Hanamaru the plot is poorly executed, but for different reasons as with this show, there was just too much emphasis on the action that the story suffers from feeling too disjointed.
              The Reflection - The first episode was just one big WTF as the animation style clearly indicates its American roots, while there isn't much of a story. Dialogue is minimal so far, which is not a good thing when there's so much randomness going on, and it's hard to take anything seriously so far.
              Tsuredure Children (short) - This show does a great job in the comedy and keeps things fresh by cycling through four couples in every episode. While high school romances have been done time and again, this one takes a unique approach that makes this show really stand out. However, keeping track of the characters is a challenge with the show having such a large cast, all while some segments totally whiff.
              Light of the Clione (short) - So far, a powerful, tearjerking story is in the works, but things are really slow to develop. While this show has a great story concept and does a solid job in building up the emotion, this show is beating around the bush. Not to mention, the animation quality is pretty bad.
              Aho-Girl (short) - The comedy is hit or miss in this show as the parts that hit are really funny, while the parts that miss are totally cringeworthy. The biggest problem is with the MC as she's just way too irritatingly annoying. But even so, the good parts still make this half-length show worthwhile.
              Netsuzou TRap (short) - The characters are just terrible in this show, but nevertheless the character relationships are solidly built on in this short. It definitely is great as a guilty pleasure, but nothing more than that.
              Nora, Princess, and Stray Cat (short) - It's just three minutes, and while the characters are interesting and the humor is decent, the animation quality is just terrible and tough on the eyes. Still, it's only for three minutes, which is perfectly fine.

Own 20
              Fate/Apocrypha - While weaker than the other shows in the Fate series so far, it does a good job in setting the table given the large cast. Seeing that this show is only on Netflix and not available at the moment that chances are this show will be binged in the fall.
              Action Heroine Cheer Fruits - This show is enjoyable for those who love cute girls doing cute things, but beyond that there's not much worth watching with this show. The girls are nice and the show has a solid concept on paper, but in the grand scheme of things it pretty much doesn't stand out. I would have given it higher consideration, but with this show being the difference between getting a HIDIVE for the season or not that it ends up here rather than the middle tier had it been on Crunchyroll or at least Anime Strike.
              7O3X Fastest Finger First - While the concept of quiz games is great, the execution is just full of blandness. At least it's interesting to watch to learn how quiz bowls are about a lot more than just knowing the answers to the question. But at the end of it this is just another one of those standard slice of life shows.
              Elegant Yokai Apartment Life - While I like the story concept of bringing the supernatural into an ordinary guy's life, the show suffers from subpar animation and a lot of blandness.
              First Time Gal - This show just tries to be shameless, while the MC is a boring bastard. The lead female is an interesting character to make it worth watching. That said, this show just isn't for me and seeing the disproportionately large boob sizes are a strong indicator that this show as going to be a guilty pleasure at best.
              Fox Spirit Matchmaker - The fox girl is cute, the story has intrigue, and the comedy is alright. But overall, this is another bludgeoning mess by Haoliners as I have come to expect out of them when it comes to stuff of Chinese origin. The animation is bad, and the story just doesn't build on itself as there are just far too many sidetracks that water down the story.
              Magical Circle Guru Guru 2017 - This show is pretty entertaining as the comedy is great, and the 8-bit video game atmosphere is inviting seeing that it is a remake of a show from the early days of anime. That said, the animation is definitely not one of IG's best efforts, while there's just a whole lot of randomness going on that has me totally lost storywise.
              Vatican Miracle Examiners - The show has a lot of nice intrigue and a great concept. But this show just is lacking in production values all while the animation is just too dark to really see what is happening. Not to mention, the story just drags opting to put lots of emptiness into it.
              18if - This show is just all over the place. But above all, the show gets into the thick of things without really explaining anything, while this show is clearly designed to market a mobile game. The episodic format just doesn't work for a show like this as the witch-of-the-week format makes it hard to get attached to anybody.
              Hina Logic: from Luck and Logic - I never got into the Luck and Logic series, and this one just glorifies the girls and is fluff that has been done time and again. The characters are just not interesting, while the humor is mostly miss.
              Angel's 3Piece! - This show has a decent concept of a dropout taking up composing and doing the job for a three-girl band living in an orphanage. The girls are cute while the show has a solid idea on paper. But this show goes overboard on the pedophile vibes that totally ruins this show.
              Dive!! - This show is just boring and is lacking in interesting characters, while the animation is pretty dull and the show's atmosphere just doesn't feel right. It's just like Free!, except with none of the things that made the show great. Just about everything is bland, which just doesn't cut it seeing that this is a show I wasn't all that interested in to begin with.
              Clean Freak! Aoyama-kun - This is sports comedy that does neither the sports nor the comedy right. At least the comedy worked early on, but it's getting repetitive, all while the sports aspect just doesn't take off.
              Chronos Ruler - This show has an interesting concept of time being stolen away from people, but overall it just comes out flat, cliched, and totally devoid of anything worthwhile. And one of the MCs is just way too annoying to put up with.
              Battle Girl High School - Here is another one of those shows where it's only about showcasing the girls in order to get people to play their mobile game, and the end result is a a whole lot of emptiness. There is barely a story to speak of, and everything that happens is just totally pointless and does nothing in the grand scheme of things. Not to mention, those are some of the worst outfits I have ever seen for a magical girl.
              Ikemen Sengoku (short) - Animation is bad, the characters are uninteresting, and jokes just don't work at all.
              Irresponsible Galaxy Tylor (short) - Everything is simply appalling. There's no substance whatsoever, and there's nothing redeeming about it. It's a total disservice to the Tylor series.

So with the way things are shaping up, I have 12 shows that are most definitely in, and 6 more slots to fill between 9 shows as far as the full-length stuff goes. As for the shorts, I'm looking at taking in two out of four between Aho Girl, Tsuredure Children, Netsuzou Trap, and Lights of the Clione, while I'm pretty sure I'm going to watch Nora, Princess, and Stray Cat, but that depends on whether or not I choose both half-length shows as if I do, that show goes. (NOTE: That was based on the situation last week. When I do my July leaderboard, things will get updated.)

Comment

Summer 2017 Simulcast Rankings: July

With the first month of the new season, it's time for my first of three simulcast rankings for the season. Just like how things have been, all shows are part of this leader board and only shows that have made the watchlist appear in the other two while dropped shows are not part of it. As it is the summer season, that means tier names use baseball terminology.

So with that, here is my first leader board rankings for the season. Shows in black have clinched their spot on my watchlist, shows in red indicate shows that are dropped, and shows in blue I have yet to decide on them.

Home Run
                My Hero Academia 2nd Season
                Rage of Bahamut: Virgin Soul
                Made in Abyss

Base Hit
                Welcome to the Ballroom
                Kakegurui
                Classroom of the Elite
                New Game!! Season 2
                Re:Creators
                Fate/Apocrypha
                Princess Principal
                Love and Lies
                Gamers!

Walk
                Restaurant to Another World
                Tsuredure Children
                Sakura Quest
                Altair: A Record of Battles
                Hitorijime My Hero

Knight's and Magic
                A Centaur's Life

Ninja Girl and Samurai Master 2nd Season
                Magical Circle Guru Guru
                Katsugeki/Touken Ranbu
                In Another World With My Smartphone
                Convenience Store Boy Friends
                Action Heroine Cheer Fruits

Flyout
                Elegant Yokai Apartment Life
                Lights of the Clione
                Aho-Girl

7O3X Fastest Finger First
                My First Girlfriend is a Gal
                Teekyu 9
                Vatican Miracle Examiner
                Netsuzou Trap
                Dive!!
                Clean Freak! Aoyama-kun

Strikeout
                Angel's 3Piece!
                The Reflection
                18if
                Nora, Princess, and Stray Cat
                Hina Logic: From Luck and Logic
                Chronos Ruler
                Battle Girl High School

Irresponsible Galaxy Tylor
                Ikemen Sengoku

This is shaping up to be a rather downer of a season. While there are a number of great shows, at the same time there are a ton of duds this season, more so than usual. The bottom of the middle tier, I strongly considered putting them in the next tier down, but for now I'll leave them where they are. My Hero Academia and Bahamut continue to be great, while Made in Abyss is the obvious choice for best new show of the season.

Pretty soon, I will have my watchlist finalized, and at the moment there are 14 shows among full-length shows leaving me with four more to pick between seven shows (Altair, Hitorijime, Centaur's Life, Knight's and Magic, Touken Ranbu, Konbini, and Reflection), and three shorts that are in with a decision to make in terms of adding Aho-Girl or Clione and Nora. Nevertheless, the slate is taking shape, and I sort of have it tentatively figured out, but I'm giving some shows extended trials.

Comment

Post-Simulcast Report: July 16-31

Time for my next post-simulcast report to end July

Completed

^My Love Story!! (8-24): A-
                  This is an amazing show as the characters are a great bunch, and this show makes great use of its gimmick in that the MC is a hulking giant with a great heart. The romance was nicely developed, all while the show does an excellent job in utilizing the comedy and the side characters. In all it makes for a feel-good show as things always turn out well in the end, and not due to writing that's all too convenient as it usually is the case. About the only gripe is the pacing as it went too slow in some areas and too fast in other areas.

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai (5-24): A-
                  This season is a huge improvement over the first season ad it was just tough to watch with so much bloodshed going on, all while the story hardly makes sense with the timeline repeating itself for some reason that was never explained. All of that gets answered here as this season's story takes a huge step forward. What I like about this season is that there's far less horror as it focuses on the story, and it makes quite a big difference.

Ongoing

[FCB-3] Future Card Buddyfight DDD (17-18)
                  [OPC] One Piece (248-287)
                  [PKM-SM] Pokemon Sun and Moon (1-8)
                  [UMI] Umi Monogatari (1-6)

^ indicates a show being rewatched

Comment

Buckeye's Summer 2017 Anime Viewership Plan: Finalized Slate

After another lengthy process, my watchlist is finalized for the season.

Watching
                    • My Hero Academia season 2 (continuing)
                    • Rage of Bahamut: Virgin Soul (continuing)
                    • Re:Creators (continuing)
                    • Sakura Quest (continuing)
                    • New Game!! season 2
                    • Made in Abyss
                    • Princess Principal
                    • Classroom of the Elite
                    • Gamers!
                    • Love and Lies
                    • Restaurant to Another World
                    • Welcome to the Ballroom
                    • In Another World With My Smartphone
                    • A Centaur's Life
                    • Kakegurui
                    • Convenience Store Boyfriends
                    • Altair: A Record of Battles
                    • Hitorijime My Hero
                    • Ninja Girl and Samurai Master 2nd (continuing)
                    • Teekyu 9
                    • Tsuredure Children
                    • Lights of the Clione
                    • Nora, Princess, and Stray Cat

Dropped
                    • Knight's and Magic
                    • Katsugeki/Touken Ranbu
                    • The Reflection
                    • Fate/Apocrypha
                    • Action Heroine Cheer Fruits
                    • 7O3X Fastest Finger First
                    • My First Girlfriend is a Gal
                    • Fox Spirit Matchmakers
                    • Elegant Yokai Apartment Life
                    • Magical Circle Guru Guru
                    • Vatican Miracle Examiner
                    • 18if
                    • Hina Logi: From Luck and Logic
                    • Angel's 3Piece!
                    • Clean Freak! Aoyama-kun
                    • Chronos Ruler
                    • Dive!!
                    • Battle Girl High School
                    • Aho-Girl
                    • Netsuzou TRap
                    • Ikemen Sengoku
                    • The Irresponsible Galaxy Tylor
                    As usual, my selection process requires a lengthy explanation, so I'll save it for another post. But to sum things up, I put a limit of 18 full-length shows as usual, and I decided to make sure each day had at least two full-length shows. I was hesitant to put in Convenience Store Boy Friends to make it happen, but in the end I decided that I'm enjoying it enough to have it in. The slate includes one show that can't be watched through legal means at the moment and my policy in regards to such shows is that I will only watch through the trial period, but beyond that I will have to get a subscription. But with Netflix's increasing presence and their refusal to do simulcasts that I decided to amend my policy and have no more than one such show every season. I'm really enjoying Kakegurui and with Netflix not putting it out until the winter that I decided to go ahead with it. On the other hand, I decided to wait on Fate/Apocrypha as that's a two-cour show.

So with that, here's how the weekly schedule works out. Again, where there are two numbers the first number is the number of shows altogether and the second is the number of full length shows.

Sunday (2): Princess Principal, A Centaur's Life
                    Monday (2): Love and Lies, Restaurant to Another World
                    Tuesday (3/2): In Another World With My Smartphone, New Game!!, Tsuredure Children
                    Wednesday (5/2): Clione, Nora, Teekyu 9, Classroom of the Elite, Sakura Quest
                    Thursday (2): Gamers!!, Convenience Store Boy Friends
                    Friday (4/3): Made in Abyss, Rage of Bahamut, Altair, Ninja Girl and Samurai Master 2
                    Saturday (5): My Hero Academia 2, Re:Creators, Hitorijime My Hero, Ballroom, Kakegurui

As I stated before, I molded my watchlist to be balanced across the week as there are at least two shows everyday. Saturdays are where most of the stuff happens, and as such my watchlist reflects that.

Comment

Re: Buckeye's Summer 2017 Anime Viewership Plan: Finalized Slate

And now I explain how I got to my final watchlist. As always, I set the cap of 18 full-length shows and up to 30 minutes a week worth of shorts. As always, the process was pretty tough and while it was easy to narrow down the list as with most shows it's pretty obvious whether it does make it or not, the last few shows are always tough to figure out.

So to begin with, the continuing shows and sequels are locked from the start. That means My Hero Academia, Bahamut, Re:Creators, and Sakura Quest enter the season on the list for being continuing, while New Game!! was locked in from the start for being a sequel. In addition, the shorts Ninja Girl and Samurai Master continued, while the Teekyu sequel also locked in right away.

Next, I look into the shows that didn't take long to punch their ticket. Love and Lies had one of the best first episodes this season as the story concept drew me in right away. Made in Abyss impressed right off the bat with a combination of great presentation and top notch execution. Welcome to the Ballroom did everything right at the beginning to set the stage for a show that's all about character growth. Princess Principal I was drawn in by the girls, but this show offers a whole lot more than that with great action and spectacular visuals. Classroom of the Elite started off with an excellent episode that had me so intrigued that I eagerly looked forward to every episode. And Gamers! is just really hilarious.

So at this point, 11 full-length shows got in with seven more slots left. With the way the season is structured, I decided that every day from Sunday through Thursday would get two full-length shows, while Fridays and Saturdays would get eight shows between them. Sundays, Princess Principal was in, while Aoyama-kun and Battle Girls High School were obviously not going to make it leaving me with a tough decision between A Centaur's Life and Knights and Magic. In the end, I went with personal preference over the better shows as I was really enjoying A Centaur's Life, and that became the second Sunday show. Mondays, it was pretty clear that Love and Lies and Restaurant to Another World would make it over Yokai Apartment and Angel's 3Piece!, so there was no debate. Tuesdays, New Game! got one spot and the other was between Smartphone, Fastest Finger First, and Magical Circle Guru Guru. While Smartphone was clearly the most flawed of the three, I enjoyed it much more than the other two as I had a tough time really warming up to them. Wendesdays have Sakura Quest and Classroom, and I haven't watched the Reload series for Saiyuki while the censorship pretty much killed any chance My Girlfriend is a Gal got in. Lastly on Thursdays, Gamers was clearly in, Dive!! was clearly out, and I was on the fence with Convenience Store Boy Friends debating whether or not I should go away from my plan. In the end, it barely passed my test, so I decided to add Konbini to give these five days two full-length shows.

And thus, the final part of the list was the Friday and Saturday parts as five shows were locked in with three more left to be determined. Quickly dropping out of the running are 18if for being abysmal for the most part with an occasional great episode, Vatican Miracle Examiner for having so much inactivity going on, Chronos Ruler for having unlikable characters and a generic plot, Hina Logi for being nothing that stands out, Action Heroine Cheer Fruits for needing a HIDIVE subscription just for that, and Fox Spirit Matchmaker for being yet another disaster of an adaption of something with Chinese origins. So that left me with three show to choose between Altair, Katsugeki/Touken Ranbu, Hitorijime My Hero, The Reflection, Kakegurui, and Fate/Apocrypha. With Netflix's increased presence that I decided that I can allow one show that's not available through legal means to make it and seeing that I was enjoying Kakegurui while I don't want to tie up a slot in the fall for Fate/Apocrypha that Kakegurui was in while Fate/Apocrypha I'll get to once it becomes available on Netfilx. I ended up keeping Altair as because the manga was so well-received. It got off to a really slow start, but by the end of the trial period the jitters were shaken off and the storytelling improved to be more in-line with what I was expecting. For the last spot, it came down to Hitorijime My Hero and Touken Ranbu as The Reflection was just all sorts of problematic, and the deciding factor is that I prefer to watch it dubbed. While I felt compelled to watch Touken Ranbu having watched Hanamaru and this show having much better production values, I felt that the action and animation were the only things going for it while it really lacked substance, all while Hitorijime was surprisingly enjoyable despite being something I had little interest in coming on. So with that, Hitorijime My Hero is the final show on the watchlist.

To complete the watchlist are the shorts, and with Ninja Girl and Teekyu in from the start that six minutes were occupied. The shorts this season consist of Aho Girl, Tsuredure Children, Lights of the Clione, Netsuzou Trap, and Nora, Princess, and Stray Cat, and with the space left I could only add two more between Aho Girl, Tsuredure, Clione, and NTR with Nora only getting the axe if both half-length shows were taken. Tsuredure is clearly the best between these four while NTR is clearly the worst of the bunch. So it came down to Clione and Aho Girl and I decided that I wanted a change of pace already picking another comedy. So Lights of the Clione was chosen, meaning that Nora, Princess, and Stray Cat was in as well.

Comment

Post-Simulcast Report: August 1-15

Here's the next post-simulcast report that's overdue.

Completed

When They Cry: Higurashi Rei (1-5): B
                        This is pretty silly stuff but it's nevertheless this OVA is entertaining to watch. While it did get somewhat serious, it's mostly stuff with a more lighthearted feel and doesn't really have that horror feel that this show is all about. Some things just didn't click, but overall it's a worthy addition.

Magical Sisters Yoyo and Nene: B
                        This is a solid movie that starts off slow, but builds up through the course of the film to leave the characters better off than they were at the start of the show. All the weirdness and the supernatural elements are nicely done to give this film the things it needs to be entertaining.

Umi Monogatari (7-12, OVA): D+
                        The show has an interesting premise, but overall the execution was just flat. The characters are annoying, especially Urin, and the story just felt underwhelming. But one thing this show did well is character development as the characters all changed for the better. It's just that the way it happened could have been better.

Cat Planet Cuties (1-12, OVA): C-
                        This show was just trying to do too much and the end result is something that starts off being just another one of those cliched harems. The lighthearted stuff was just too mindless and uninnovative for its own good. But when the show gets serious, the show becomes better and that's when this show gets good.

Ongoing

[FCB-3] Future Card Buddyfight DDD (19-21)
                        [OPC] One Piece (288-336)
                        [NAR-S] Naruto Shippuden (165-166)
                        [PKM-SM] Pokemon Sun and Moon (9-11)

Comment

Post-Simulcast Report: August 16-31

Another half-month in the books, another post-simulcast report to give out.

Completed

Fairy Tail Movie 2: Dragon Cry (Movie): B+
                          This film is a nice addition to this series as the concept and execution were all thought out very well. While it wasn't the greatest movie out there, it does the job in being entertaining and well worth watching for the fans. The biggest problem is that the movie-only characters just are not interesting at all. That said, the action and adventure is nicely done much like in the TV series.

Sailor Moon Crystal Season 1 (7-14): C-
                          This reboot is just a gigantic mess. While the artwork looks better than the original series, it could have been much better as it was just lazy and sloppy as evidenced by the CG usage for the transformation and the opening getting Serenity's hair color wrong. Then there is the story that's just rushed and lacking in character development seeing that the manga wasn't exactly strong to begin with. That said, the action was good while the story flowed naturally, which wasn't exactly the case with the original series with its monster-of-the-week format. Above all, this is a series that is really something only fans of the franchise can appreciate.

^Charlotte (1-13, Special): B
                          This show does a nice job in being another Key Visual feelsfest as they are known for doing. The animation is great as to be expected out of P.A. Works, the story does a nice job in depicting emotional pain, and the show does a great job with character development. That said, this show misses the mark in a few key areas in that the pacing was pretty bad in places, while I felt that so much was forced into the story rather than letting things develop naturally. That said, it still is another nice show to watch for the emotional stuff Jun Maeda is known for,

^Escaflowne (14-26): A-
                          This is a classic from the 20th century that was ahead of its time. The story is great, the animation is splendid given the time it was made, and the soundtrack is awesome. But above all, the story is nicely constructed leading to tremendous character development. About the only major flaw is the story construction as so much just doesn't make as much sense as it should.

Ongoing

^[ASW] The Asterisk War (1-4)
                          ^[SOM] Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma (1-7)
                          [FCB-3] Future Card Buddyfight DDD (22-23)
                          [HXH] Hunter x Hunter (59-63)
                          [JBA-SC] Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders (1-5)
                          [NAR-S] Naruto Shippuden (167-170)

[OPC] One Piece (337-345)
                          [PKM-SM] Pokemon Sun and Moon (12-15)
                          Last edited by Buckeye; 09-07-2017, 11:01 PM.

Comment

Summer 2017 Simulcast Rankings: August

Well, this comes with the month of September nearly halfway over, but nevertheless here it is as I try to figure out where shows stand through August. As usual, green indicates the show has gotten better and red means it has gotten worse from August 1 to August 31, while all dropped shows are removed from the leader board.

Home Run
                            Owarimonogatari 2nd Season
                            My Hero Academia 2nd Season
                            Made in Abyss
                            Rage of Bahamut: Virgin Soul

Base Hit
                            Welcome to the Ballroom
                            Kakegurui
                            Classroom of the Elite
                            Princess Principal
                            New Game!! Season 2
                            Re:Creators
                            Gamers!
                            Tsuredure Children (promoted)
                            Sakura Quest (promoted)

Walk
                            Restaurant to Another World
                            Altair: A Record of Battles

Love and Lies (demoted)
                            Hitorijime My Hero
                            Ninja Girl and Samurai Master 2nd Season
                            In Another World With My Smartphone
                            A Centaur's Life

Flyout
                            Convenience Store Boy Friends (demoted)
                            Lights of the Clione
                            Teekyu 9

Strikeout
                            Nora, Princess, and Stray Cat

Owarimonogatari enters the list seeing that it was a special over two days, and boy was that impressive. Anyway, here are three shows that have gotten better and three that have been slipping.

Rising

Tsuredure Children - The comedy didn't click at the beginning, and that had more to do with needing to get used to the format and all the characters, but now that character introductions are finished that the comedy has really taken off. There's never a dull moment in this show, and these episodes in the second month definitely are great.

Sakura Quest - The story is finally moving forward in a big way as the need to develop many characters led to some really sloppy storywriting at the beginning. But now, the story is focused with one goal in mind all while the side characters are showing how great they are. Not to mention, substantial character growth is starting to show after being largely minimal.

Altair: A Record of Battles - The show didn't get off to the best of starts as the beginning just didn't indicate that something like this was coming. But nevertheless, the show has gotten much better with Mahmut seeing just how his way of thinking just isn't possible in the world he lives in, and realizes that something has to give. The emotional impact is pronounced, while the character growth has been set in motion that hopefully gets realized through the rest of the show.

Falling

Love and Lies - Things got off to a great start with a great story concept. But the recent episodes have been underwhelming as some of the drama doesn't click while it's frustrating to see the MC being so helpless, especially in that episode where he goes to a sex training seminar.

Convenience Store Boy Friends - Perhaps I was too generous with the first month, but nevertheless the show has been heavily focusing on two couples and there's a whole lot of needless drama involved. Not to mention, the other four couples are pretty much rendered irrelevant. In any case, I just don't like the fact that the other characters are getting ignored when they were promoted at the beginning.

A Centaur's Life - Episodes have been hit or miss with this show, and I must say that last months episodes were more miss than hit.

Comment

Post-Simulcast Report: September 1-15

Here's the second-to-last post-simulcast report of the Summer 2017 season. While I normally don't do my simulcast reviews here, that only applies to TV series and with Ancient Magus' Bride, this is an OVA series, so I review it here.

Steins;Gate: Load Region of Deja Vu (movie): A
                              This is a perfect sendoff to the series as it made sure that whatever loose ends were left at the end of the TV series were addressed here. This time, it's a role reversal with Kurisu being the center of attention, and it works out very nicely.

91 Days Special: C+

^Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma (8-24): A+
                              This show is simply delicious in every way possible. The characters are interesting, the animation is top notch, the show never gets dull, and the story does an excellent job in not only telling a story, but being amusing at the same time. In all, this show is the complete package as just about everything clicks, all while the imaginary scenes when tasting food really add flavor to this show.

The Ancient Magus' Bride: Those Awaiting a Star (3): A
                              This is only backstory here, but nevertheless it's very insightful even if it only chronicles one part of Chise's childhood. It does a great job at what it is supposed to do as a prequel, and that is to set the stage for the show. Pretty nice story is written here, but it remains to be seen how relevant it becomes in the TV series. Nevertheless, production values are top notch.

^The Asterisk War (5-24): B-
                              This show does an excellent job on the technical front as the action is great, the animation is some of A-1's best, and the characters are likable and interesting. However, it does a rather sloppy job at storytelling as there are just way too many sidetracks and wavering in focus as the main plot just doesn't advance at a suitable pace. Cliches are apparent at the start, while there are several things that get left underexplained. But in spite of these huge flaws, the top notch technical aspects made it worthwhile.

^Blue Exorcist: Kyoto Saga (1-12): A-
                              This is all of the good stuff that made the first season so great to watch, while ditching most of the bad stuff hat came from the filler part as this show just went down the tubes once it stopped following the manga. The action, the animation, the soundtrack, and the characters continue to drive this show, all while the story is nicely constructed seeing that it sticks with the manga all the way doing what this show does best. About the only major problem with this show is that some questions that should have been explained remain unexplained.

Ongoing

[DBZ-K2] Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters (25-33)
                              [HXH] Hunter x Hunter (64-65)
                              [NAR-S] Naruto Shippuden (171-172)
                              [OPC] One Piece (346-367)
                              [SMN] Sailor Moon (1-3)

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X