X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Summer 2017] Welcome to the Ballroom Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    ボールルームへようこそ

A show about a teen who strives to become a professional dancer as a way to improve his self-confidence and improve his outlook on life.

Airs: Saturday, July 8, 2017

Studio: Production I.G

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Amazon

A professional dancer named Sengoku rescues Tatara, an introverted third-year middle school student who is being harassed by delinquents. Tatara ends up at Sengoku's dance studio where he meets Shizuku Hanaoka, a schoolmate he comes to secretly idolize. From this defining moment when Tatara enters the world of dance. Sengoku is a free-spirited, dynamic international dancer who recognizes Tatara's potential and begins to coach him. Through dance, Tatara meets another schoolmate, a dance prodigy named Kiyoharu. Through these new friendships, Tatara develops a passionate desire to improve as a dancer and be accepted by his peers and rivals, which nurtures his own native talent. And through interaction with Tatara, other dance members are encouraged to take steps to overcome their own challenges and issues.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these two easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please indicate in the first line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please quote that post (or a relevant reply to that post), or include the episode title in the first line. ("Re: Episode 1") Just make sure the episode is indicated.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Violet Evergarden of KyoAni's Violet Evergarden
    Watching: Kyo Kara Maoh, Pokemon Sun and Moon, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, FRB, KYB, FGN, MIX, FIL
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Wanna dance?

So it begins with a chance encounter as Tatara is saved by the pro dancer Sengoku from a bunch of bullies, and from there Tatara got his food in the door of competitive dancing. Only problem is that he doesn't have the money for lessons, but seeing that he's determined to dance that of course he'll try and make things work out somehow. Tatara is really pushing it there practicing through the night and tackling some advanced stuff right off the bat. It's off to a nice start there as Tatara has really established himself, while Sengoku and Shizuku figure to be great dance partners for him.

I caught the premiere on Twitch, and I must say the hype surrounding this show is justified. Of course, whether or not I keep on watching all comes down to my willingness to put up with Anime Strike for the fall season. But in any case, it started things off on the right foot.
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

Sure does look and sound a lot like Haikyuu!!, which I am very happy with. I still haven't gotten around to touching the manga despite having all of Kodansha's volumes (with the next one ordered), so I guess this is how I'm getting this story, until the adaptation ends, at least. Considering the apparent quality of the adaptation, I'm fine with that. I assume it takes a little bit to really take off, so I'm not too concerned that first episode didn't blow me away. It had its nice little moments, and definitely shows that they want to make this good. That's all I need for the moment.
      My Top Anime | Manga
      My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
      My FP Reviews | Twitter
      FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 2

He's burning up the competition.

Here comes Kiyoharu Hyodo, a dancing prodigy in the same grade as Tatara as he dances with Shizuku in the competition. Hyodo sure did put on a performance there, so much that Tatara wants to try and dance it himself. He totally fumbled the basics there, but when it comes to watching others dance, he's great at picking up the footwork. But of course, actually doing it is another matter entirely as he's just not in any shape to do it, especially in those oversized pants. Naturally, the next step for Hyodo is to train overseas, and while Shizuku is open to that, not so much with Hyodo. It will be interesting to learn more about him as he is the spark Tatara needed seeing that he has been fumbling with the basics and that he does his best by trying to do what others are doing.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

Classic rival character. Tatara really should have no chance to come close to Hyodo's level, but he does have that innate protagonist skill that Sengoku recognizes and draws out, so he'll likely be able to face him before long. I don't know about Shizuku, though. She seems pretty comfortable at Hyodo's side.
          My Top Anime | Manga
          My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
          My FP Reviews | Twitter
          FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 3

Learn by watching.

Tatara experiences his first dancing competition as he is thrown into the wolves when Hyodo went missing. He injured himself falling down a set of stairs and as such the pain was too much for him to dance in the second round. So Sengoku throws Tatara into the wolves and while he shows great potential being able to pull off some really advanced techniques, it was really sloppy ending with him stumbling when he stepped on his oversized pants. I knew that Hyodo wasn't the most straight-headed of guys, but what he did at the end really pushes things over the edge. It's one thing to get hurt, but then to disappear like that, Hyodo definitely has issues.

Comment

Re: Episode 3

That was some NTR shit, Tatara. Just taking another man's partner like that. Well it should be interesting to see how all of that shakes out. It was certainly nothing anyone could've expected on any level.
              My Top Anime | Manga
              My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
              My FP Reviews | Twitter
              FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 4

Dancing with anger.

Whoa boy, Hyodo was as pissed off as he could possibly be with that tango there. But in the end, he collapsed due to his injury and with him having committed a serious violation that he has been suspended for six months. And even if he wasn't suspended, he probably couldn't have danced in that condition for that long, anyway. So Hyodo is telling Tatara to dance in his place and take care of Shizuku while a new girl and guy show up at the studio. That sure was intense there, both Hyodo's dance and the stuff that happened afterwards with Tatara feeling guilty for Hyodo's problems when it was Sengoku who threw him into the fire on a whim.

With that, it's onto the next episode as for today, there are two episodes since it will be skipping next week.

Comment

Re: Episode 4

Pretty fucking intense, Hyodo. At least the direction is getting a little more eventful with big scenes like that, although it really has to. Could still be executed better overall.
                  My Top Anime | Manga
                  My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                  My FP Reviews | Twitter
                  FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 5

Get to know your partner.

Here comes Gaju and his sister Mako as these siblings have only danced with each other. Shizuku sure did lose it there and is mad at Sengoku for everything that happened. In the end, Gaju and Shizuku partner up due to talent level, leaving Tatara with Mako, and things don't exactly start off on the right foot with Tatara not adjusting to Mako's petite body. In the end, they built up the chemistry needed to dance together. That was great to see Tatara and Mako building chemistry all while Sengoku is quite the troll with that message making fun of Gaju there at the end.

Comment

Re: Episode 5

And just like that, Shizuku and Tatara already have new partners. Damn, Hyodo. This is clearly not what you were hoping for. To be fair, though, he did take Shizuku for granted a bit too much, and naturally she'll end up with Tatara somewhere down the line, especially considering how easily people seem willing to trade around partners.
                      My Top Anime | Manga
                      My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                      My FP Reviews | Twitter
                      FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 6

Read the floor.

Tempers sure did flare between Gaju and Tatara when they collided on the dance floor, but both are responsible for this, and even more so for Tatara as he failed to understand the rules of the dance floor. But above all, he quit dancing, which is the worst possible thing he could do. Tatara and Mako are still trying to build chemistry together seeing that the partners need to be similar in size, and things are pretty tough. But that one phone call really turned things around as they are now getting the hang of things. Pretty nice to see those two getting along and quickly learning what needs to be learned with the Tenpei Cup approaching. That Quickstep sure was a pain to learn, both literally as shown by those blisters, and figuratively as both partners need to be on the same page in order to do it.

Comment

Re: Episode 6

They may be working to undo these pairings, but Tatara and Mako really are quite great together. I assume Tatara will end up with Shizuku eventually, but at this point it seems like it may be hard to forget how cute of a couple these two were after that phone call. I'm sure there's a great deal more of material like that to come, though.
                          My Top Anime | Manga
                          My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                          My FP Reviews | Twitter
                          FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 7

Feel the heat of competition.

As if he wasn't one already, Gaju just became an even bigger asshole. First, he lashes out at his sister for being flat-chested, and then in the second round when he and Tatara collide instead of getting back up and dancing he just sits there blaming Tatara for it not realizing that he's equally at fault. In the end, Tatara and Mako manage to somehow make it into the semis despite clearly showing that they are beginners, but next time their luck is about to run out. Hyodo's sister is quite a celebrity there, and with her being one of the judges that Tatara is in for a reality check.

Comment

Re: Episode 7

Definitely interested to learn more about Hyodo's mother and see what he thinks about everything that has changed since he's been gone. Sengoku is not happy about any of this.

My Top Anime | Manga
                              My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                              My FP Reviews | Twitter
                              FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...