X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Summer 2017] Dive!! Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    ダイブ!!

A show about high school jocks striving to become Olympic divers at the 2020 games in Tokyo in order to save a diving club that's on the verge of shutting down.

Airs: Thursday, July 6, 2017

Studio: Zero-G

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Amazon

The series revolves around the Mizuki Diving Club (MDC), which is on the verge of closing down after having financial troubles. The club's new coach persuades the club's parent company to stay open on one condition: that the club sends one of its members to next year's olympics as part of Japan's olympic team.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these two easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please indicate in the first line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please quote that post (or a relevant reply to that post), or include the episode title in the first line. ("Re: Episode 1") Just make sure the episode is indicated.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Violet Evergarden of KyoAni's Violet Evergarden
    Watching: Kyo Kara Maoh, Pokemon Sun and Moon, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, FRB, KYB, FGN, MIX, FIL
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

This club is belly flopping.

So it begins with the characters being introduced and how they got into diving back as children. Tomo's path to diving is especially interesting seeing that he got into the sport because he saw Yoichi gracefully doing it. From there on, he would take up the sport, but now reality is setting in at the Mizuki Diving Club as financial troubles have taken its toll, and a new coach has been hired with an ultimatum: get somebody from MDC to the Olympics or the place closes for good. This is mostly setup here and things moved pretty slowly, but nevertheless it's needed if this show is going to get off the ground. I'll give it a few more episodes before deciding, and while I wasn't exactly hyped up about this show seeing this show as being a cheap knockoff of Free!, one thing going in its favor is the lack of Thursday shows this season has.
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

So not exactly like Free! since it's about diving instead of swimming, but more importantly... it's actually pretty damn ugly. And I don't care about the characters at all. So a bit like Free!, except without any positive qualities of Free!
      My Top Anime | Manga
      My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
      My FP Reviews | Twitter
      FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 2

Be like a cucumber.

Coach Asaki sure isn't messing around here as right off the bat, she has some pretty intense training routines. Those boys are going to need it seeing that their bodies are woefully misaligned and Asaki can see that just by looking at them. And then she goes off leaving the boys to spend a week training with the routine as she goes out to Aomori to bring Shibuki, who is used to diving in the ocean, but not so much with the pool. Well, Asaki is a pretty interesting character seeing that she is a former competitor who trained in New York at one time, but the boys are a pretty bland bunch that makes this show boring.

So with that, this show has belly-flopped just like Stephan Feck did at the London Olympics as it has failed to catch my attention, all while the animation just looks wrong. Clearly out of the three Thursday shows this season, this was well behind the other two, so that will be it.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
        Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
        Widgets Magazine
        Working...
        X