X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Summer 2017] Aho-Girl Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    アホガール

A show about a stupid girl who goes bananas and causes quite a ruckus with her childhood friend and everybody else she comes across.

Airs: Tuesday, July 4, 2017

Studio: Diomedea

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

This 4-koma style manga features Yoshiko, a genuinely stupid girl (she can even manage to get all 0's on multiple choice tests). She hangs out at school with her childhood friend, who she claims to like, and he has to put up with all her ridiculous behavior!

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these two easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please indicate in the first line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please quote that post (or a relevant reply to that post), or include the episode title in the first line. ("Re: Episode 1") Just make sure the episode is indicated.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Chise Hatori, The Ancient Magus' Bride
    Currently Watching: Fate/Apocrypha, Ajin, ID-0, Overlord, JBA-SC, OPC, DBZ-K, HXH, NAR-S
    Simulcasts: ALT, WBM, SOM-3, YYY-2, B3B-2, UMR-2, 3GL-2, KBW-2, AMB, UQH, IYK, GLT, BLS, KHK, AGT, NJU, CRZ, JBC, IDM-CGT, OSF, OYP
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Bananas are everywhere as that's exactly what describes Yoshiko. She goes totally bananas (and so far nobody has slipped on a banana peel) as she totally acts clueless and rowdy. Not even her childhood friend can take much more of this, especially when she's bringing an ecchi magazine to school and trying to pass it onto Akuru. Well, the comedy is nice, but at the same time it's bound to get repetitive while Yoshiko is starting to get on my nerves. I'll give it some more episodes before deciding what to do seeing that I'm more interested in Sayaka and Fuuki, and not much is known about them at the moment.
    Currently Watching: Fate/Apocrypha, Ajin, ID-0, Overlord, JBA-SC, OPC, DBZ-K, HXH, NAR-S
    Simulcasts: ALT, WBM, SOM-3, YYY-2, B3B-2, UMR-2, 3GL-2, KBW-2, AMB, UQH, IYK, GLT, BLS, KHK, AGT, NJU, CRZ, JBC, IDM-CGT, OSF, OYP
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

I can't tell if her idiocy is natural or just an elaborate troll or both. In any case, the more I watched of the episode the more I was reminded of the issue with the manga. Which is that the formula gets old fast and it becomes more frustrating than funny. Yeah, giving up on the anime too.
      I think it's his fault because he was messing around during practice! -Koto (Kyousougiga)
      I also think he should have apologized! -Koto (Kyousougiga)
      And he shouldn't be so weak! -Koto (Kyousougiga)
      Avatar: Nanase Morina of Piace: Watashi no Italian

Comment

Not entirely unfunny, but repeating the same joke over and over again definitely kills any chances of staying power it has. I may have chuckled a bit at times, but it's not worth waiting to see if it will try something different occasionally.
        My Top Anime | Manga
        My Collection
        My FP Reviews
        FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Kill it with fire.

And then tell all the manga publishers in Japan to stop publishing shit by this unfunny asshole.
          Avatar: Craft Lawrence from Spice and Wolf.
          Scratchy for Tama is angry.
          Casually Reviewing: Blend-S
          Part of the Gloveless Armada. Join here! (Aria the Animation Dub Kickstarter).

Comment

Originally posted by Hitsugi Amachi View Post

Kill it with fire.

And then tell all the manga publishers in Japan to stop publishing shit by this unfunny asshole.
            Wait, what else dd the guy work on? *Checks* Let's see here, Doujin Works which was "amusing" back in the day, but might not hold up now. Been years since I saw it.

As well as "Comic Artist and his Assistant" which I gave up on after an episode or two. Either way I don't remember anything good about it.

Then we have this show, Aho Girl which is rather bad and trust me the manga is bad too. So uh not a very good track record then.
            I think it's his fault because he was messing around during practice! -Koto (Kyousougiga)
            I also think he should have apologized! -Koto (Kyousougiga)
            And he shouldn't be so weak! -Koto (Kyousougiga)
            Avatar: Nanase Morina of Piace: Watashi no Italian

Comment

Originally posted by Momoka Kibi View Post

I can't tell if her idiocy is natural or just an elaborate troll or both.
              Given her consistent test scoring, I'd say natural. Unsure about this one, for all the reasons stated, plus there's the violence against women aspect to it.
              My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
              1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
              2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
              3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

Episode 2

And now the siblings are introduced here as Yoshiko's brother is another idiot that is at least not trying to openly show it like her sister, and Akuru's sister is also an idiot who is just as dumb as Yoshiko, but at least she's trying hard to shed that label. And then there's the disciplinary chief that is willing to stop at nothing to do her job and ends up falling for Akuru after a series of events. So after a pretty cringeworthy first episode, this one is a huge improvement as Yoshiko is not as annoying as she was in the first episode, all while the other characters are getting some focus, and I like this show better when it focuses on the other characters. Still, the jokes are repetitive, but at least it's trying to keep things fresh given the format of this show.

Anyway, I'll give it another episode before deciding if this show stays or goes.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
                  Episode 2

And now the siblings are introduced here as Yoshiko's brother is another idiot that is at least not trying to openly show it like her sister, and Akuru's sister is also an idiot who is just as dumb as Yoshiko, but at least she's trying hard to shed that label. And then there's the disciplinary chief that is willing to stop at nothing to do her job and ends up falling for Akuru after a series of events. So after a pretty cringeworthy first episode, this one is a huge improvement as Yoshiko is not as annoying as she was in the first episode, all while the other characters are getting some focus, and I like this show better when it focuses on the other characters. Still, the jokes are repetitive, but at least it's trying to keep things fresh given the format of this show.

Anyway, I'll give it another episode before deciding if this show stays or goes.
                  Not siblings. At least the Yoshiko and the delinquent aren't. That ain't her brother; he just calls her big sis in that Japanese way of acknowledging her authority/superiority over him, ala the Yakuza.

Man, but that was stupid! But I chuckled a few times, so this might be a guilty pleasure of the season.
                  My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
                  1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
                  2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and

Comment

Episode 3

Akuru's mother sure is something seeing that she determines whether a girl is fit to be his friend by looking that their panties, and after forcing Sayaka to show her's, she passes. And once again, Yoshiko goes bananas as she beats up a dog using wrestling moves so that she can ride it, and blowing her money on those strange dolls, and then getting lewd with Akuru while letting Sayaka know about it, and Ruri gets the wrong message from it. This is a step down from last week's episode as Yoshiko was up to her usual annoying self again, all while the disciplinary chief didn't show up.

So with that, I'll give it one more episode before deciding if I'll continue with this or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
                      Episode 3

Akuru's mother sure is something seeing that she determines whether a girl is fit to be his friend by looking that their panties, and after forcing Sayaka to show her's, she passes. And once again, Yoshiko goes bananas as she beats up a dog using wrestling moves so that she can ride it, and blowing her money on those strange dolls, and then getting lewd with Akuru while letting Sayaka know about it, and Ruri gets the wrong message from it. This is a step down from last week's episode as Yoshiko was up to her usual annoying self again, all while the disciplinary chief didn't show up.

So with that, I'll give it one more episode before deciding if I'll continue with this or not.
                      Wrong relationship, again. ^_^

That's actually Yoshiko's mother, which is why her retirement plan is to have Yoshiko marry A-kun.

I disagree about this episode being a step down. I officially dub this show a "Guilty Pleasure of Summer 2017". So, yeah, I've gotten into the humor of this show, and it's stupid, but then, so are the 3 Stooges.
                      Last edited by General Hentai; 07-19-2017, 06:18 PM.

Comment

Episode 4

After being bested by Akuru, Ryuuichi becomes his servant, though that's only on Ryuuichi's part as Akuru is not exactly in need of him. So once again, Yoshiko goes bananas, first by actually punching the evil-doer who kidnapped one of the children even though it's just a stage play, something that Yoshiko's pea-sized brain just wouldn't be able to pick up. Then Yoshiko has a conference with the teacher, but she actually acts more like the teacher here even though the lectures are totally wrong. And then it's Akuru's birthday, and the girls sneak into his room. And as thieves, they totally fail as they are not supposed to make noise, use flash photography, or knock out a sister. Pretty funny stuff that was, and I especially like the last segment.

So with that, the trial period is over for this show, and I'll have a decision on my hands if I want to keep going with this show or not. The segments are really hit or miss as the really good ones (like those in this episode) are hilarious, while the bad ones (like in the first episode) are really, really kill'em with fire worthy. In any case, I haven't made up my mind at this moment.

Comment

Re: Episode 4

The stupidity continues! And that's a good thing. It sounds like just a one joke show, but that one joke actually has tons of legitimate variables. This show is stupid, but one of those shows which is very smart in its stupidity. This has been a surprisingly creative with the stupidity of its main character and its use of the supporting cast.

Comment

Episode 5

Ain't no cure for the Summertime Blues.

Continuing with new openings each episode, this time we get a sign that finally translates as "summer vacation".

First up, Yoshiko does something nice, which, of course, annoys the hell out of Akuru: She has tickets for the two to take Akuru's little sister Ruri to see a "Prechure" movie. Akuru's at first dismissive that Ruri is too old, but little sister tears win the day. It ends with Akuru smacking both of them down as both girls yell at the screen. Amnesia deliverd, LOL.

Next, a trip to the beach with swimsuit buying, with the whole high school class involved, to Akuru's disdain. Good girl Sayaka manages to persuade him into coming along, by pointing out that he's just as weird, in his own, violent way, as any of the others. SHOCK!!

The last part is as they get ready to go on the train, with Yoshiko's mom sensing that the Disciplinary Chairgirl has the hots for Akuru, and she's not going to stand for a rival to her retirement plan.

Another very funny episode. The adorable Sayaka pointing out, what should be obvious to the viewers, that in his own way, Akuru is at least as weird as everyone else around him is priceless, especially factoring in Akuru's reaction to it.

Mom remains a show stealer, as her reaction to another potential rival for her daughter is just over-the-top priceless stupidity.

Comment

Episode 6

She knows what happiness is...

A slight change up to last week's OP, with the "Summer Vacation" sign up the whole time, until Yoshiko walks to it, turns it to the other side where we learn that "Happiness is a banana" signed Aho Girl. As philosophies go, there are worse out there.

We're finally at the beach, with Yoshiko in full Aho mode, starrting with cracking open a watermelon using her head...literally. Of course, the Chairgal is there to try and get closer to Akutsu-kun, with Yoshiko accusing her of showing off her rack. Which, of course, Chairgirl actually is doing, with zero success. What follows is Yoshoko burying Chairgal in the sand to flatten her boobs, then burying Sayaka in the sand to give the flattest of the girls the largest bust size (brief happiness)...and then turning Chairgirl into a sand-futanari, eventually setting off A-kun who, as usual, is having none of this nonsense.

Then along comes Yoshiko's mom, who is searching for the inn the gang is staying at, presumably to continue her interference from last time, only to be interrupted by blond dimwit, Ryuichi.

Then its onsen time, with strategically placed objects obscuring the girls' goodies, with Yoshiko and then Chairgirl ending up having a discussion about A-kun's manhood, which Yoshiko has seen because they bathed together as kids, and remembers as being cute. An attempt by Chairgirl to explain that it probably isn't cute anymore because it might be large...or too small, ends with both of these ditzes ending up attempting to peek on A-kun, as Chairgirl once again gets caught up in the stupidity. We then see that Mom has utterly defeated Ryuichi.

We then go away from the beach, with Yoshiko leaving for 2 days, to A-kun's delight, only to discover that Yoshiko's given him a dog on loan so he won't be lonely. Turns out that the dog totally understands A-kun, with bonding over movies taking place, only to be ruined by the surprise return of Yoshiko.

It's summer, so it's also time for the Bon festival, and we discover that Yoshiko is the world's most inappropriate (ROFLMAO!) Bon dancer in history, with the Neighborhood Association planning to defeat her this year. They haven't got a chance.

Another hysterical episode of stupidity. If you haven't tried out this show, it's just a whole lot of stupid fun, which has been surprisingly inventive about what could easily have become a tired premise.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X