X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Summer 2017] Katsugeki/Touken Ranbu Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    活撃/刀剣乱舞

A show about pretty boys as swords. Unlike with Hanamaru where it's a slice-of-life comedy, this one is more serious and story-driven.

Airs: Saturday, July 1, 2017

Studio: Ufotable

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll / Amazon / Hulu

The year is 1863 as the tumultuous samurai era is coming to an end, Japan is split between the pro-shogunate and anti-shogunate factions. The fate of the world is threatened as an army of historical revisionists are sent from the future to alter the course of history. In order to bring these forces down and protect the real history, two sword warriors, spirits who are swords brought to life by Saniwa (sage), rush to Edo. The polite and thoughtful Horikawa Kunihiro and the short tempered yet skillful Izuminokami Kanesada, who served the same master, confront the invading army along with a lively gang of other warriors including Mutsunokami Yoshiyuki, Yagen Toushirou, Tombokiri, and Tsurumaru Kuninaga.
    As the fate of history lies in these hero's hands, what meets the blade is yet to be uncovered...

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these two easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please indicate in the first line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please quote that post (or a relevant reply to that post), or include the episode title in the first line. ("Re: Episode 1") Just make sure the episode is indicated.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Rikka "Lily" Isurugi, Black Fox
    Watching: Gate, Mitsuboshi Colors, Snow White with the Red Hair, Ghost Hound, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, KYB, FRB, MIX, FIL, MTI, DUN, ALS, COP, DRS, IDD, FSN-LE, VLS, MMZ, GIV, HES, HDB, AKO, NHG, RST, SND, PKC
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

History must never be changed.

So it begins with Kunihiro learning what it means to be a swordsman with Kane as they go around slashing at those retrograde goons threatening to change history. This assignment would have failed had Saniwa not arrived letting those two know that they were tricked. And so, the boys come in and kick ass.

This is just so much different than Hanamaru with the atmosphere being far more serious (especially the part where Kunihiro is conflicted over saving a few people at the risk of changing history) as opposed to funny and lighthearted. While I'm not big on this franchise that is aimed at the fujoshi crowd, I'm certainly intrigued by what's going on here and the production values for this are certainly higher than with Hanamaru as Ufotable brings its A-game with the animation once again. It certainly helps that I'm not being bombarded with too many characters to keep track of at once that makes this more watchable. In any case, I'm continuing for now as per the usual selection process.
    Watching: Gate, Mitsuboshi Colors, Snow White with the Red Hair, Ghost Hound, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, KYB, FRB, MIX, FIL, MTI, DUN, ALS, COP, DRS, IDD, FSN-LE, VLS, MMZ, GIV, HES, HDB, AKO, NHG, RST, SND, PKC
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

It's so bizarre that this exists. Well it sure is pretty, and overall not bad so far, so I'll see where it goes.
      My Top Anime | Manga
      My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
      My FP Reviews | Twitter
      FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 2

Preserving history ain't easy. Neither is changing it.

And just when everybody was about to find the answer as to why those retrograde goons are there, time runs out and that means it's back to the Citadel to regroup. This time, Kanesada takes charge, and just when he's onto something, the ship explodes. That was some serious drama there at the end as something is definitely up. Once again, it's great that this show takes a more serious approach and ufotable provides the gorgeous animation to support it, all while the music compliments it very nicely.

So with that, it looks like I'll be watching this through the end of the trial period at the very least, and while it's in good shape for my watchlist, it still has some more convincing before I can clinch it.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

Okay, so it's still much better than Hanamaru, but when it gets past the introduction and into settling down to really get to know the characters, it's easy to remember that its source material was made to collect cute boys (or hot men here; not sure exactly where they sit in the original work) with a silly premise to back it. So yeah, I don't need to hang out with these guys anymore.
          My Top Anime | Manga
          My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
          My FP Reviews | Twitter
          FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 3

Let history run its course.

As it turns out, the ones responsible for the explosion are the roushis and not the retrograde army. These masterless samurais are out to defend their turf not letting foreigners step foot on their land. And that leads to some disagreement there between Kane and the captain. But in the end, it all worked out as the retrograde army appeared and that event didn't significantly change things as those roushis were all arrested according to history. Sometimes, all it takes is to pay attention to the big picture, and that's what got everybody through in some rough times.

So with that, I'll continue at least one more episode before deciding on this show that's up against some tough competition.

Comment

Episode 4

Stop that blast from the past.

The boys are onto their next assignment, and that is to defend Edo from the retrograde army. The first sign of trouble comes when the errand boy has only one bodyguard instead of two, and then comes a powerful retrograde soldier on the bridge. But then an even bigger threat comes from the sea as a warship is coming to destroy Edo. While Yagen took care of those guys to stop them from firing the cannons, the retrograde army has struck again and he's outnumbered. Quite a bad situation he was in, but fortunately help is on the way. While things are starting to get repetitive here, at least the action is nice once again.

So with that, the trial period for this show is over, and at the moment it's on the borderline as while this show has far more production value than Hanamaru and the artwork is great, things are starting to get repetitive. In any case, I'm not ready to make a decision on this show just yet.

Comment

Episode 5

Going down with the ship.

Man, that was pretty sad. While they were able to defeat that ship, it turns out that there was another one commanded by the retrograde army and they were using cannons from another era to burn down Edo. Thus, this mission ends in failure, and Tonbokiri sacrificed himself in order for everybody else to get away. I should have seen this coming that not every mission is going to be a success.

So with that, this show got an extended trial as I'm still on the edge with this show, but nevertheless I still haven't decided if this show stays or goes as it's either going to be the last one in or the first one out.

Comment

Episode 6

Get ready for the next mission.

The previous mission ended in a massive failure, but if there is any consolation it's that it didn't change history as much as those boys thought it would. It turns out that Tonbokiri survived, but he's in a coma, so he will be out of action for quite awhile. Pretty much, this episode is all about getting refocused for the next mission after the last one failed as the biggest battles are yet to come. While it was a setback, at least this was one loss they could recover from. Pretty much, this episode is much like Hanamaru, but without the comedy as it's all about doing things at the citadel.

So with that, I have decided that this show will get cut. While its production values are much better than Hanamaru, which I did see, I just feel that I'm not going to get much more out of this show in continuing to watch it. There's just no story all while the action is just about the only thing to watch in this.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                  Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                  Widgets Magazine
                  Working...
                  X